To Advocate Editors, “Cool” Straight People Lean Left

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:15 pm - April 4, 2008.
Filed under: Advocate Watch

Last night, when attempting to tidy up my place and get rid of the clutter, I came across a number of magazines I had saved, either because I hadn’t yet gotten around to reading them or because they had something which might be blog-worthy. When I caught sight of the cover of the November 20, 2007 Advocate, featuring their list of the year’s “coolest straight people,” I realized why I saved the periodical.

While the cover featured the very cool and amazingly gifted Cate Blanchett, it listed three only three others, all with politics considerably left-of-center, Elizabeth Edwards, Frank Rich and Arianna Huffington. Interesting they would feature such political figures while neglecting (on the cover) some of the cultural “icons” they included inside.

Before even opening the magazine, I gathered that to be a “cool” straight person to the Advocate’s editors, you had to hold left-of-center political views. I was certain they would include no conservatives on that list.

So, I opened the magazine. The list wasn’t very long. Just Cate, Arianna, Frank, Elizabeth, the fetching Phillippe Cousteau, Aaron Toleos and a rapper called Common. Hmmm. . . .  Seven people on the list and three from the political left . . . . and two of those (Huffington & Rich) known for misrepresentations of Republicans.

Now that I’ve confirmed my hypothesis, time to recycle the magazine.

1. So it’s cool to be a vapid, empty vessel? Guess that explains part of Orgasma’s popularity.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 4, 2008 @ 5:57 pm - April 4, 2008

2. Just wondering, who would you choose as a "cool" person who leans to the right?

Comment by Dave — April 4, 2008 @ 7:52 pm - April 4, 2008

3. There are plenty of "cool" people on the right. They just don’t lean. Standing firm on principle is not conducive to leaning.

Comment by heliotrope — April 4, 2008 @ 10:15 pm - April 4, 2008

4. Just wondering, who would you choose as a "cool" person who leans to the right?

Past and present:

Freddie Prinz Jr.
    Ted Nugent
    Michael Moriarty
    Reba McEntire
    Jackie Mason
    Cheryl Ladd
    Hal Holbrook (did I mention him?)
    Wilfred Brimley
    Bob Hope
    Shannen Doherty
    Bo Derek
    Yvonne DeCarlo
    Doris Day
    Gary Busey

etc. etc. etc.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 4, 2008 @ 11:17 pm - April 4, 2008

6. Ayn Rand
    Evan Sayet
    Roger L. Simon
    The Right Brothers (Bush Was Right)
    Zell Miller (remember 2004?)
    The Swift Vets (ditto)
    Every once in awhile, Paul McCartney.  (He is mostly an aging liberal doofus, but: consider this live performance right after 9-11.  A million times.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 4, 2008 @ 11:21 pm - April 4, 2008

7. (ps to my comment presently held in mod: this performance of his is more to the point)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 4, 2008 @ 11:26 pm - April 4, 2008

8. Pat Sajak (not seriously cool, but a little interesting – BECAUSE he leans to the right)

I thought his talk show was kinda cool. I’d have a beer or four with him.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 5, 2008 @ 3:00 am - April 5, 2008

9. <blockquote>Elizabeth Edwards, Frank Rich and Arianna Huffington</blockquote>There is nothing even remotely "cool" about any of these three. I can be fair, there are other far-lefties that could be said to possess "coolness" in some measure, but these three band-camp-dropouts cum professional-bitter-bitches aren’t even in the same hemisphere as "cool".

Comment by American Elephant — April 5, 2008 @ 9:02 am - April 5, 2008

10. Why does anyone read "The Advocate?"  You don’t have to subscribe to Leftist pap just because it caters to the sleazier elements…

Comment by Crow — April 5, 2008 @ 4:58 pm - April 5, 2008

11. #9

Yeah as long as they can keep their mouth shut.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2008 @ 12:24 am - April 6, 2008

12. I stopped reading the Advocate because it’s basically a gay version of People Magazine.   For gay news I go to Gay City News and The Washington Blade.  GCN in particular has covered the problems of gay immigrants fighting deportation back to Islamic countries where they would be executed in great depth (and usually on the front page!).  Of course the reporter covering those stories is Doug Ireland who is also a left-wing activist so I guess most of you would discount is reporting in spite of the accuracy of the facts?

And besides, who takes these magazine lists seriously.  Does anyone think some rag’s list of the 10 best this or 25 greatest that is legitimate?  Get the panties out of twist.  It’s just a ploy to sell magazines by putting famous people on the cover.

BTW, the lists were interesting and some of them are pretty cool on gay issues.  maybe someone here should be pitching stories rather than complaining about the stories that are already there?

Comment by Houndentenor — April 6, 2008 @ 5:05 pm - April 6, 2008

13. so I guess most of you would discount is reporting in spite of the accuracy of the facts?

Not if there’s actually accuracy of facts instead of opinion. Also, if there’s accuracy of facts but the conclusion is that it’s all Bush’s fault, you can forget it.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2008 @ 10:03 pm - April 6, 2008