Pansy-gate: Sad State of Gay America

Let me get this straight (excuse the insulting word, by the way). Gay activists are up in arms because NC Governor Mike Easley used the word “pansy.”

Well, God help us all. If Gay Americans don’t learn to get a tougher skin…their heads are going to be lopped off even easier than straight Americans when the Islamists are in power in Western Europe.

For all of the wailing from the Left over their claimed “non-issues” like flag-burning, wearing the flag on your chest, and supporting the troops — Pansygate makes the Gay Left look even more ridiculous and irrelevant than ever.

I am not. Grow up, and get over the victimization mentality, folks.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

UPDATE (from Dan): Seems Washington Blade editor Kevin Naff agrees with Bruce, writing in the Blade’s Blog, “Are we really so thin-skinned and politically correct that we’re offended by use of the word “pansy?” His advice: “Get over it, people. There are far more offensive things to worry about than an awkward turn of phrase.

1. I was so pissed off about the way John Aravosis’ leftist blog was attacking Senator Clinton over the North Carolina governor’s use of the word “pansy” in his remarks endorsing her, I had the outfit that does the polling for our company to do a quick poll of just a couple hundred people.

70 percent hadn’t heard anything about it, 20 percent thought the use of “pansy” meant wimp, 3 percent thought the governor was referring to gays, 7 percent weren’t sure what he meant (and didn’t think what he meant is important).

I hadn’t personally heard “pansy” used lately, but I vividly recall its popularity when I was in junior high school many, many years ago. If one of the guys couldn’t keep up in gym class, or on a bike ride, or a hike fown to the fishing hole along the river, the gang usually derided him with “come on, don’t be a pansy”. And we meant wimp. (In the middle 1950s none of us had even heard about gays yet.)

Comment by Trace Phelps — April 30, 2008 @ 9:55 am - April 30, 2008

2. THANK YOU!!! Unfortunately, the vocal activists will get more press time for this comment, showing how inclusive and tolerant Democrats are and how the other party is bigoted and won’t let them get married.
    The more I read this site, the happier I am that I found it. Thanks for doing this…

Comment by A Different Peter H — April 30, 2008 @ 10:00 am - April 30, 2008

3. I have to confess: I’ve used the word “pansy” numerous times in the past and never gave it a second thought. Like Trace, I took it to mean “wimp” or “weakling.”

When I worked in a lawn and garden shop, the pansies would fall over at the slightest breeze or even a little rain. Later, after the wind or rain stopped, the pansies would pop back up again. Maybe gay people should stop being insulted by being called “pansy” and be proud of their own resilience.

Comment by Pepe — April 30, 2008 @ 10:33 am - April 30, 2008

4. One of the things that chased me away from the left after I moved to San Francisco was the ridiculous shrieking by the gay community about being disenfranchised. Here are people living in a place where they’re allowed to have public, orgiastic festivals in celebration of themselves and they’re disenfranchised? I felt contempt for them because their cause seems utterly selfish to me. Moral equivocation is the only thing that allows the left to validate their inane identity politics without sounding like absolute idiots. This pansy kerfluffle shows that their tactics aren’t terribly successful.

Comment by Justin — April 30, 2008 @ 10:51 am - April 30, 2008

5. Hey! Who ever heard the word Macaca until the Washington Post buried George Allen under it?

In the escalating game of political correctness, why not elevate the ancient use of the word “pansy” to full blown gay bashing? First, be deeply offended, then find the word that caused it.

In my youth, a “pansy” was a “wimp” and “wimp” had not yet joined the lexicon. We also used the words “cream puff.” Just think what you could imply from those words!!!!!

As an aside, I can recall my grandmother saying: “I saw the queerest thing this morning.” Now there is a word I never use!

Comment by heliotrope — April 30, 2008 @ 11:46 am - April 30, 2008

6. I can no more disown Aravosis or Spaulding than I can disown heliotrope’s gay-bashing grandmother.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 30, 2008 @ 12:04 pm - April 30, 2008

7. Very often it is this sort of thing that drives personal political evolution. The not so sad, nor so simple fact is that very few people, even those that attend rallies and donate to candidates, are remotely interested in keeping up with events or plumbing their own positions. Rather, we wake up one day, look around and are unimpressed with what we see on our side. Politesse is a big part of politics, a big part of everything. So be nice to your friends and respectful of your opponents. It does pay. LOOOONG term.

Comment by megapotamus — April 30, 2008 @ 12:16 pm - April 30, 2008

8. I’ve always thought of “pansy” as referring to wimps not gays. If someone called me a pansy, I wouldn’t consider it a remark about my homosexuality. I would consider it a comment about my weakness. Then I would hit the Bowflex hard…until the commercial break was over. :-)

Comment by NaturallyGay — April 30, 2008 @ 12:23 pm - April 30, 2008

9. Orwell once referred to “the Pansy Left,” and I don’t think he was making a homophobic content. I’m straight, and when I hear “pansy” I think more in terms of “sissy” than “homosexual.”

Comment by Bilwick1 — April 30, 2008 @ 12:34 pm - April 30, 2008

10. Erratum (if that’s not too pansy a word to use): I meant “homophobic comment,” not “homophobic content.”

Comment by Bilwick1 — April 30, 2008 @ 12:35 pm - April 30, 2008

11. Pansy means “wimpy” not gay.

Comment by Montjoie — April 30, 2008 @ 12:41 pm - April 30, 2008

12. What we need is Panzer-gate.

Just to toughen every one up.

Comment by M. Simon — April 30, 2008 @ 12:48 pm - April 30, 2008

13. Pansy = the flowering of new meaning.

Comment by M. Simon — April 30, 2008 @ 12:50 pm - April 30, 2008

14. As a gay man, I am personally outraged that Pepe said such bigoted things about flowers. It’s almost racist. GLAAD should definitely make this hateful man stop saying words that offend me.

Comment by Atnthony — April 30, 2008 @ 12:51 pm - April 30, 2008

15. if i was his damage control person, i’d issue a press release saying it was a slip of the tongue, he meant “patsy”, and then site his fantastic record on lesbian, gay and transgendered issues.

say he regrets his failure to properly enunciate the word, and that he understands why people are upset. he recognizes that all educated people know that “pansy” is a word of hate. he promises to launch a campaign personally to encourage people to start calling it, the “p word”.

this is how you have to operate if you’re a democrat in 2008.

Comment by NoPatsy — April 30, 2008 @ 12:53 pm - April 30, 2008

16. I really love this site. It’s become my humor every morning.

First off: Completely agree that this is a non-issue. Not that Hillary wouldn’t screw gays over any chance she could, but this is ridiculous. There are so many valid examples of anti-gay speech in politics: Sally Kern, Rick Perry, etc.

But the real value of this site comes from the distortions:

For all of the wailing from the Left over their claimed ”non-issues” like flag-burning, wearing the flag on your chest, and supporting the troops —

ROTFL.
    * You can tell how desperate the GOP is when they have to bring up their desired constitutional restrictions on free speech as an “issue.”
    * By placing “non-issues” in quotes, are you saying that the wearing of a flag pin is an issue? Really?
    * “Supporting the troops” is a non-issue? And the left claimed this? When? Where? Or do you mean the left refuses to “support” the troops the way the GOP does: with improper planning for a war, improper care when the troops return, kicking out gay soldiers but increasing waivers for felonies and misdemeanors and lack of high school diplomas? I guess you’re right: the left just doesn’t “care” about the troops the way the GOP does.

Don’t change a thing, GP. Really.

Comment by torrentprime — April 30, 2008 @ 12:54 pm - April 30, 2008

17. I use the word “pansy” from time to time, and it is always in reference to whimps, such as people who would be offended by the mere mention of the word “pansy”.

Comment by CarlF — April 30, 2008 @ 12:56 pm - April 30, 2008

18. So, in other words, you’re telling them to stop being pansies about this……

Comment by cargosquid — April 30, 2008 @ 12:57 pm - April 30, 2008

19. Sad to say, your request will be rejected, simply because you’re asking the Left to lay down one of its more effective and simple to use tools.

The theory is simple: at every opportunity, relentlessly claim an aggrieved status due to the use of a particular word or concept.

Once the word is successfully driven out of the public discourse, it can then be marginalized in private discourse, its use held forth as evidence of double plus wrong think.

Of course, words/concepts can only be removed from private discourse as an act of self censorship, which involves an ongoing, constant monitoring of one’s mind for criminal thoughts.

And thus, the feat of Orwellian mind control is accomplished, to varying degrees of success.

All it takes is a willingess to relentlessly and ceaseless hammer.

Comment by geekWithA.45 — April 30, 2008 @ 1:15 pm - April 30, 2008

20. Torrentprime, given what the Democrat Party does and endorses, it should be obvious that they not only support the troops, they flat-out hate them.

Furthermore, torrentprime, given that that sort of hate speech towards the military is fully supported and endorsed by gay and lesbian liberals, why on earth should anyone believe that you want to serve in it?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 30, 2008 @ 1:26 pm - April 30, 2008

21. Every year, the principal of my high school and our primary football rival’s principal would pull some little gag before the big game. One year the opposing team’s principal sent our principal a dozen pansies.

Our principal brought the pansies to the big pre-game pep-rally, and delivered what may well be the lamest pep-rally speech ever. Essentially, she listed the pansies’s numerous strengths (evidently it’s quite the hardy little flower), and argued that as such, the “gift” was actually a compliment.

We students all agreed that the entire episode was really, really gay.

Comment by Beck — April 30, 2008 @ 1:27 pm - April 30, 2008

22. They’re upset about pansies?

As a response, I would say “it’s time to put on your big-boy pants.”

Oh, the frothing that would result…

Comment by ed — April 30, 2008 @ 1:39 pm - April 30, 2008

23. It’s amazing how “victim” groups appropriate widely-used expressions as their exclusive property. For instance, some Native American claim a “copyright” on “Warrior.”

Comment by Roderick Reilly — April 30, 2008 @ 1:47 pm - April 30, 2008

24. Hey, the Democrats are in charge of Congress, torrentprime, and have been for a several years, so shouldn’t some of the things you blame on the Republicans concerning the military be laid at their doorstep? But, hey, when looking at how little the Democratic congress has accomplished in the past 2 years, perhaps the phrase “in charge” is a bit misleading.

And last time I checked, the “no ask, no tell” policy was formulated by Bill Clinton, so perhaps you shouldn’t be blaming the Republicans for kicking out gays. But hey, don’t let something like a fact get in the way of your hilariously uninformed smear.

As for the flag burning, I have news for you: quite a few Democrats supported the Flag-Burning Amendment, so any attempts to lay the blame solely at the feet of the Republicans is, like the rest of your silly post, dishonest.

But you were right about one thing: the left doesn’t care about the troops the way the right does. Someone has already pointed out the actions in Berkeley. But it is also the left who have repeatedly voted to cut funds for the troops, in a time of war. It was the left in the person of Barack Obama who claimed the troops wasted their lives. I don’t seem to recall those on the right vandalizing recruitment centers or harrassing recruiters, do you? And it’s a safe bet tha the NYC bombing of the recruitment center was not a Young Republican. San Francisco even went so far as to prohibit the Marines from filming a recruitment commercial on their streets. I really don’t think you want to get in an argument over who supports the troops more, moron, especially since one of the main examples you cited was famously the result of Bill Clinton’s handiwork.

Come back when you have an actual argument, torrentprime.

Comment by Bob — April 30, 2008 @ 2:08 pm - April 30, 2008

25. Frankly I’ve considered the radical Left to be comprised of pansies for quite awhile now so their whining about this is simply par for the course. That this places me in position of actually defending the Hildabeast and a Democrat governor truly annoys me. Wusses.

Comment by John — April 30, 2008 @ 2:42 pm - April 30, 2008

26. Beck,
    That sounds rather week, but she’d probably have stirred up something of the same type of brouhaha if she’d said, “Principle X sent me some pansies this week. It was really thoughtful of him, and I’ve passed them on to Coach Y so our football team will be able to recognize Team X.”

And we used “pansies” to mean “weaklings” of either gender, but it went out of style before we were out of elementary school.

Comment by Nony Mouse — April 30, 2008 @ 2:44 pm - April 30, 2008

27. Well,I’m straight,but I live in Montrose (is there ANY gay in America who doesn’t know where that is?)and most of the gays I know would bitch slap anybody who got the vapors over being called a pansy….as far as that goes, there are as many gay Republicans as Democrats around here….the difference is the gay Republicans don’t make a political thing of it….and the gay Republicans I know are a LONG way from being pansies

Comment by Lord Locksley — April 30, 2008 @ 3:07 pm - April 30, 2008

28. #15
    It was a “botched joke”. Off the hook instantly.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 30, 2008 @ 5:44 pm - April 30, 2008

29. “If Gay American activists were constantly up in arms about the worldwide threat to our community by an organized group of murderous Islamists, I might have more sympathy to those “completely offended” by Gov. Easley’s “pansy”.

I am not. Grow up, and get over the victimization mentality, folks.

PS – And don’t even start with me about how the American Religious Right is akin to Islamists. If you do, you must provide videotaped evidence of American Christian groups beheading or hanging gays. There is no moral equivalence in a worldwide pogrom of gays being spearheaded by radical Islamists.”

Bruce, if more of the politically active and outspoken gays thought like you, I think y’all would be about 10x further along in the fight for acceptance and respect. Awesome.

Comment by MOGS — April 30, 2008 @ 6:49 pm - April 30, 2008

30. I have no idea where Montrose is.

Comment by Vince P — April 30, 2008 @ 7:25 pm - April 30, 2008

31. [...] Carolina blogger Gay Patriot says gay groups that have gone to the barricades over the use of the term “pansy” need to [...]

Pingback by Right Angles » Blog Archive » Gay Patriot on “pansy-gate” — April 30, 2008 @ 9:05 pm - April 30, 2008

32. #6 above is probably one of the smartest and funniest blog comments I have ever seen. How timely was it a day after the Reverend’s melt down? Man, that one should be preserved in time. Nice work, I Love Capitalism.

Comment by Javi — April 30, 2008 @ 9:26 pm - April 30, 2008

33. Well I consider myself a pansy most days even though I am ex Army. When this all works it self out, if I need to be “offended and outraged”, make sure someone gets the word to me so I can get all pissed off and start screaming my head off.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — April 30, 2008 @ 10:04 pm - April 30, 2008

34. Girly men!

It’s no wonder that political discourse in America has become so pointless.

Since any statement of substance is a minefield, pols are left to inane comments about their opponents (of course, another minefield).

I’m not offended by the word “pansy” because I don’t see myself as a pansy (or girly man).

No offense to pansies (the flower – see #3).

Comment by Robert — April 30, 2008 @ 11:47 pm - April 30, 2008

35. #27 – Lord Locksley, welcome aboard from a fellow Houstonian!

#30 – Vince, the Montrose is the gay neighborhood of Houston. However, at this writing, it is being taken over by young straight couples and upwardly mobile transplants. Most of us are now migrating into the Heights, just north of the Montrose and I-10.

And to put in my $0.02 about “Pansy-gate:”

1. The NC gov should just ignore the brouhaha. Apologizing for or trying to explain a non-issue will just result in more publicity. (Hello Mr Macaca?)

2. I’ve always said that the radical GayLeftLib movement was designed to allow effeminate men easier access into the mainstream of American society. Now I’ve got the proof of it. Anyone who is worried about being called a “pansy” should do a tour of duty in the Middle East and really learn about being oppressed.

3. Most gay men who spend at least a few days a week in the gym (if they’re not “standing and modeling” for hours) can kick some tail, yours truly included. And I’m not afraid to defend myself physically in case some neanderthal calls me a fag or pansy. It also seems like the intolerant ones are all leftist moonbats. But I digress.

4. Hillary did the right thing and not only ignored the NC gov’s comment (as well anyone should), but did not rush to kiss HRC or Aravosis’ collective glutes and decry such a “statement.” For once, I applaud her.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 1, 2008 @ 12:46 am - May 1, 2008

36. Peter: I forgot that I have been to Houston’s Montrose before.

Comment by Vince P — May 1, 2008 @ 1:45 am - May 1, 2008

37. Hey, Peter Hughes, the same thing is happening in Boston’s traditionally gayborhood (the South End). I see more & more baby carriages & straights. The gay community seems to be going to Dorchester & other outlying neighborhoods.

Comment by Jimbo — May 1, 2008 @ 10:28 am - May 1, 2008

38. #37 – I hear you, Jimbo. It seems like once we’ve “urbanized” and “gentrified” an area of town, everyone else wants to be let in. Plus, ever notice that the real estate in a gay section of town has much more curb appeal than other areas?

I’m all for assimilation and not creating a “gay ghetto,” but I also prefer my own haunts where I don’t feel like everyone is staring at me and Hubby and wondering what we’re doing together. Maybe it’s just me.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 1, 2008 @ 11:08 am - May 1, 2008

39. I don’t get the connection to Islamism. One might argue that being called a f*t in polite company is nothing compared to what they’d do, either. If Easley had used that particular epithet, would the left-liberal movement also look ridiculous?

There’s something to be said for identity politics. It’s just not the end-all, be-all. And I think the word “pansy” is borderline and, being from NC myself, I get the colloquial connotation he was using. It isn’t pretty.

Also — it’s stuff like this that makes the left-wing gay rights movement powerful; they know how to work the news cycle and put their identity agenda up front. Unlike, say, gay conservative blogs. One might argue — as you have — that this controversy is overblown, but somehow I think they got a lot of free PR out of it.

Maybe we (gay conservatives) should learn how to do that!

Comment by JMW — May 1, 2008 @ 1:44 pm - May 1, 2008

40. I want to throw a general thought in here (a propos of nobody’s comment in particular).

“Anti-gay”, to me, is a term with a specific meaning. It means a person or action or statement that manifests, and seeks to promote, *identity-based* hatred or animus toward gays and lesbians *as a group*… thus failing to judge individuals by what Martin Luther King called “the content of their character”.

Easley’s comment clearly does not fall in that category. I seriously doubt he was trying to promote animus against anyone except Barack Obama.

What would fall in that category? Well, for example, if someone were spreading slanders about gays and lesbians. I came across this example just a few minutes ago, from Van Helsing over at Moonbattery:

His points are right-on, about the absurdity and wrongness of the gay political militia trying to change eHarmony. But as a kicker, he throws in some undeniable slanders. Consider the following:

- He singles out ‘homosexual depravity’ for the spread of AIDS, thus omitting heterosexual and drug-user depravity (which also spread HIV). It would have actually been easier, and more accurate, to merely say “depravity”. In other words: throwing in the “homosexual” modifier was an extra little effort he went to… to stigmatize gays *as a group*.

- He contrasts dating options such as ‘man seeking woman’ and ‘woman seeking man’ with ‘pervert seeking boy’. Problem is, homosexual dating – whether it is a serious relationship, or just a bunch of one-night stands – isn’t ‘pervert seeking boy’. Pedophiles may sometimes claim to be gay, but in reality, they are a different breed. So Van spreads a gay=pedophile slander.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 1, 2008 @ 3:21 pm - May 1, 2008

41. [...] on our show today, Kevin and I discussed Pansy-gate. Kevin’s take mirrored my own. Who knew that a top echelon member of the Gay Media Mafia was [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » GayPatriot’s America Podcast:Kevin Naff, Washington Blade — May 1, 2008 @ 4:43 pm - May 1, 2008

42. ILC, I think your question is best answered by the AIDS LifeCycle statistics page.

In San Francisco…..nine out of ten HIV infections occurs in gay men.

HIV/AIDS has had a particularly severe effect on California’s gay community, with 74% of all cases occuring among gay and bisexual men; nationally it is 58%.

We do ourselves no favors by getting upset over people who point out the screwups. While his words may be less than kind, there is an important message in there, and it is OUR responsibility to take our lumps at this point.

Furthermore, as I have repeatedly pointed out, there are gay and lesbian groups using our name to argue that sex with children half your age is common among gays. Until these people are slapped and slapped hard publicly, he has every right to bring them up — and he ESPECIALLY has right to point out that these same leftist gays who are sueing eHarmony are the ones who promote and endorse this sort of behavior.

What he does need to be reminded is that there are those of us here that are in a war to take back the word “gay”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 1, 2008 @ 5:52 pm - May 1, 2008

43. In short, gay promiscuity HAS been the major cause of HIV spreading in the United States, and if you look at the CDC report, it has been the major cause of death from AIDS.

And where do I deny this? Yes, HIV is spread by homosexual depravity. No question. Lots of it. “The major cause”, just as you say. And, it is spread by heterosexual depravity as well, and drug-user depravity (of either orientation) as well. No question about that either. “The major cause”, is not ‘the only cause”. 10% (if it’s that low) is still one heck of a lot of HIV being spread by others. Hmmm, you could just say that AIDS is spread by depravity, period. That would be the most fair and natural thing to say, as well as the easiest (least amount of typing).

Adding “homosexual” as a qualifier, then, in pointed a way that *structurally omits* or *overlooks* the other contributing depravities, could be a sign of animus: of a desire to stigmatize all homosexuals on identity, rather than judge people fairly by individual character. Add it up with some other signs… and it is a sign.

They’re psychically wounded morons – or worse. (There, I slapped ‘em.)

Yeah. And, to have all people, good or bad, judged not by the [insert identity characteristic here], but by the content of their individual characters.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 1, 2008 @ 7:49 pm - May 1, 2008

44. Sorry, typo, “in a pointed way”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 1, 2008 @ 7:51 pm - May 1, 2008

45. You are of course right, ILC.

But I have always thought the advice Condi Rice’s parents gave her — that she would have to be “twice as good” — is quite sage and applicable in our case.

Over time, that will get us to that point. But unfortunately, we are stuck with the legacy of thirty years of morons who have proclaimed to the American people that “gay” translates to “drug-addled, diseased, promiscuous, antireligious and antimilitary leftist”.

The place we have succeeded well is in business — where, thanks to the normal requirements of employment, hatemongering gay leftists have been screened out. Where we HAVEN’T succeeded is on the streets — where the screaming morons have been able to define us.

People like Van Helsing are our natural allies, although they don’t know it yet. We should be supporting them in their speaking out against “homosexual depravity”, thus pointing out to the world that being gay does not require you to be a promiscuous disease-spreading idiot and that the gays who do, or who whine and blame Reagan, are nincompoops.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 2, 2008 @ 12:34 am - May 2, 2008

46. #5) Both “gay” and “queer” were excellent words with unique meanings that have unfortunately been lost from the English language forever.

#27) I had no idea where Montrose was until Peter H. told us.

#45) I’ve never in my entire life heard anyone other than gays call any human being “diseased”. What a vile term.

Comment by American Elephant — May 2, 2008 @ 2:04 am - May 2, 2008

47. NDT, good points again, but it’s hard for me to think of *anyone* who spreads things I know to be untrue, like gay=pedophile, as a natural ally. Whether that person is allegedly “gay” themselves and an alleged “gay rights activist” to boot… or is Nancy Pelosi (in the Foley feeding frenzy of 2006)… or is James Dobson or Van over at Moonbattery.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 2, 2008 @ 12:46 pm - May 2, 2008