James Hansen: Mother Gaia’s Champion Or Deranged Asshat? You Be The Judge!

James Hansen, one of the world’s leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer…

Speaking before Congress again, he will accuse the chief executive officers of companies such as ExxonMobil and Peabody Energy of being fully aware of the disinformation about climate change they are spreading.

In an interview with the Guardian he said: “When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that’s a crime.” (The Guardian)

One wonders if this fellow went to Andover? On the one hand I would dearly love such a ‘trial’ to expose schmucks like Hansen and the drivel they peddle, but on the other I have to wonder just how much of a kangaroo court this whole process would really be. Eh, if dissension constitutes a ‘war crime’ then perhaps we’ll get to put these folks on trial one day. I’m thinking fraud for starters…

–John (Average Gay Joe)

1. Environmentalism, the new totalitarianism!

Comment by American Elephant — June 23, 2008 @ 2:53 pm - June 23, 2008

2. Isn’t it just sort of weird how the only solution to “Global Warming” is the transfer of massive amounts of money and power to government and environmental activists?

Comment by V the K — June 23, 2008 @ 5:10 pm - June 23, 2008

3. “It’s the oil company executives”, I bet Mr Hanson went to his Congressional hearings in an SUV or at the very least I bet he didn’t walk or ride his bike.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — June 23, 2008 @ 5:56 pm - June 23, 2008

4. He’s a Soros beneficiary, so Asshat obviously.

#2
    I noted all the adverts during “green month” and marvelled at how they all required us to BUY stuff. Evidently capitalism is ok sometimes.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 23, 2008 @ 7:18 pm - June 23, 2008

5. Asshat would be my vote. He would have helped keep Galileo under house arrest.

Someone should ask him if he’d like to head a new Inquisition. GW deniers can be racked, flayed, and boiled in oil (solar-powered boiler, of course) until they confess their heresy.

I sure hope GP keeps our emails secret… When the enviro Gestapo gets the list, we’ll all end up being bundled off in the middle of the night (in a Prius) to the camps.

The real outrage, though, is that this buffoon (who we pay) is given a platform by our Congress (again, at our expense) to spew this horse-squeeze. Arrrggghhh!

Comment by Robert — June 23, 2008 @ 9:22 pm - June 23, 2008

6. More evidence, as though any were needed, that James Hansen is not even remotely a scientist.

Free exchange of ideas? Peer review? Repeatable experiments and analysis?

Who needs those when you have self-righteous indignation.

Comment by Clint — June 23, 2008 @ 10:50 pm - June 23, 2008

7. #5
    I didn’t expect a Global Warming Inquisition.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 24, 2008 @ 2:07 am - June 24, 2008

8. Nobody expects the Global Warming Inquisition! Its main element is surprise, fear and surprise…TWO main elements, fear, surprise, and an almost fanatical devotion to Al Gore.

Comment by Attmay — June 24, 2008 @ 8:31 am - June 24, 2008

9. First of all, devotion to Al Gore IS a surprise in and of itself.

Second, this Hansen guy is a demagogue of the first order, and I’d like to know why this bureaucrat’s salary is being paid from my tax dollars.

ARGHHHHHH.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — June 24, 2008 @ 10:28 am - June 24, 2008

10. I watched an excerpt of Hansen’s congressional appearance on FoxNews and my first reaction was that the guy is nuts. His appearance was followed by some dingaling blonde who sounded more outrageous the longer she talked, claiming that electric cars, etc., were an “immediate” solution to the country’s dependence on imported oil.

No matter who it is, anytime a politician, media talking head or environmentalist extremist starts justifying opposition to drilling for oil, mining shale oil, building new refineries, building nuclear power plants, etc., etc. he/she sounds downright silly the longer he/she talks.

The silliest argument is that drilling for new sources will bring down the price of gas only a few cents. Who cares! We all know that opening up ANWR and the continental shelves for exploration and drilling will not solve today’s problems but will probably assure us a steady domestic supply in a few years.

I am deeply disappointed that advocates of “drill now” — mostly Republicans — almost totally ignore conservation as something that can help a little during the years it will take to bring new oil fields on line. And, let’s face it, conservation is a habit we have to get into because we must use new energy sources wisely in order to extend the supply.

I have certainly changed my positions about exploration and drilling for oil in ANWR, etc. It was a difficult decision to make, because my home sits right on the water on the Florida Gulf Coast but I wrote Florida Governor Crist this week urging support for exploration in the eastern Gulf of Mexico. (I am somewhat reassured by the fact that oil rigs in the Gulf did not pose environmental problems when Hurricanes Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf.)

Comment by Trace Phelps — June 24, 2008 @ 1:51 pm - June 24, 2008

11. We can live without ANWAR. We can live without offshore. We can live without shales. We can live without nukes. But friends and neighbors, we CANNOT live without ALL of these. Hansen is no demagogue merely, that is a propagandist and opportunist. This we could endure. Look into a “revision” of the historical global temp record last year or so where it was discovered that the temps from the ’30s were actually warmer than Hansen claimed, rubbishing the “unprecedented” leg of his theortical stool. How did such a “mistake” that now threatens our livelihoods, our security and now our very food supply endure so long? Because it was a fraud perpetrated by the head guy. Hansen. It is he who should be on trial and not for vague, Stalinist assertions of evil and disloyalty but for bribery (Soros) and treason. But that is a long shot. I echo those who would welcome such a “trial” although I don’t see the legal foundation for it. But like impeachment, this is a word that fools cast around knowing nothing of its meaning.

Comment by megapotamus — June 24, 2008 @ 3:00 pm - June 24, 2008

12. If you ever wanted the term for the old persona of the MAD SCIENTIST we could choose JAMES HANSEN this guy is completly out of his mind and insane as they come

Comment by Flu-Bird — November 15, 2009 @ 9:46 pm - November 15, 2009