BREAKING ELECTION NEWS
GAYPATRIOT EXCLUSIVE:
John McCain Meets with Log Cabin Republicans President

GayPatriot has exclusively learned that presumptive Republican Presidential nominee Senator John McCain held a personal meeting with the head of the national gay Republicans organization, the Log Cabin Republicans.   Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon confirmed his meeting with Senator McCain earlier today.

A source with close ties to the Log Cabin Board of Directors provided information about the meeting to GayPatriot earlier this week.  This source disclosed that the Log Cabin meeting was not reflected on Senator McCain’s published schedule in advance and the meeting.  A second source familiar with the Log Cabin-McCain meeting reports that Senator McCain has routine personal meetings that are not shown on the Senator’s public schedule.

The specific timeframe of the Sammon-McCain meeting is not completely clear, but appears to have taken place within the past couple weeks or so.

Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon confirmed the meeting with Senator McCain in email correspondence with GayPatriot earlier today:

“We’ve had a series of productive meetings with the campaign since Sen. McCain won the nomination—including a recent meeting with the Senator.  We expect to have more conversations with the campaign as we head toward November.” — Patrick Sammon, Log Cabin Republicans President — June 25, 2008

Based on published news reports, the meeting with Senator McCain would be the first between any national-level gay Republicans and a Republican Presidental nominee since “The Texas 12” met with then-Governor George W. Bush in 2000.  Since his first election to the White House, President Bush has never met with anyone representing Log Cabin Republicans or any other American gay organizations.

Again, according to published news reports the Sammon-McCain meeting would be the first face-to-face dialogue between a Republican Presidential standardbearer and the President of the national Log Cabin Republicans organization since the check-refund controversy between LCR and the Dole Campaign in 1995.

There will be more details on this story to follow….

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. […] with close ties to the Log Cabin Board of Directors provided information about the meeting to Gay Patriot earlier this week. This source disclosed that the Log Cabin meeting was not reflected on Senator […]

Pingback by Is McCain offering an olive branch to gays or dangling a carrot for votes? « The Outskirts — June 27, 2008 @ 10:12 pm - June 27, 2008

2. I am a straight Republican, and I do oppose gay marriage and homosexuality as a matter of principle, but I don’t hold an antipathy toward gays on a personal level. Actually, I am pleased to see Senator McCain reaching out to this constituency, and I would like to see them be a more active subgroup in our party. I admire any gay person who has the courage to go so much against the grain as the Log Cabin Republicans. I’m sorry that our party doesn’t do more to include you.

Comment by AJ — June 28, 2008 @ 1:10 am - June 28, 2008

3. #101

And the people should be asking why this Congress has been running constant show trials instead of doing the “will of the people” as promissed.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 28, 2008 @ 1:14 am - June 28, 2008

4. I am glad for the meeting!

Will I be protected by hate crime law? Or is it ok just for gay people to hate?

Comment by EDinTampa — June 28, 2008 @ 3:45 am - June 28, 2008

5. I guess McCain is the choice for self-hating closeted gay men.

Comment by Pinky Bear — June 28, 2008 @ 5:35 am - June 28, 2008

6. LCR Tampa Bay will be there, Ed. Might want to at least say howdy. 2300 block of W. Central Ave.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 28, 2008 @ 7:16 am - June 28, 2008

7. EDinTampa says: “I am going to the Gay pride in St Pete tomorrow. If I wear my McCain T-Shirt, I am sure I’ll be attacked verbally maybe even physically or maybe just an occasional drink spillage on me.”

Pinky Bear says: “I guess McCain is the choice for self-hating closeted gay men.”

EDinTampa is going to Gay pride in St. Pete, Pinky Bear sees him as a self-hating closeted gay man.

If EDinTampa goes to Gay pride in St. Pete and decides not to wear his McCain shirt, I see him as closeted by Pinky Bear and his pastel carnivore pals.

I must admit, I would like to be the arresting officer taking names if Pinky Bear assaults EDinTampa. “OK, Pinky Bear, put you little paws behind your back.”

Comment by heliotrope — June 28, 2008 @ 10:01 am - June 28, 2008

8. So… heliotrope has a thing for role-playing. 😉

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 28, 2008 @ 10:09 am - June 28, 2008

9. You know, there is plenty of asinine crazy on both sides. We have the nutzo far left people screeching about gay Republicans:

The term “Gay Republican” is an oxymoron.
    The GOP does not want gays, bans us from the convention and campaigns against gays in order to win over the christian right.
    To me, a gay republican is akin to a Jewish Nazi in WWII

And we have the gay Republican(s) responding in an equally ridiculous manner:

The reality is that when you grow up, you don’t care what other people think. Some people don’t grow up and they continue to vote democrat and get shit on.

You know, there on people on both sides with points. Just not these people and those making similar statements.

It’s fair to criticize Obama about his public association with an anti-gay gospel singer. And it would be fair to criticize him about not supporting marriage. As for McCain, “I doubt that Mr. McCain will do anything to improve the lives of gay people if he is nominated and elected,” is a fair statement to make. It’s not an attack against the people here, just a statement of beliefs. I mean, I’m torn about who to vote for (the answer right now is “Bob Barr”). The biggest hangup with McCain is the position he takes on LGBT issues. I mean, he doesn’t even support military service, as he’s said publicly. And if Obama has anti-gay associations, then McCain has even more.

However, I don’t want to vote for Obama, as I disagree with his economic and domestic positions and I’m really hit or miss with his foreign policy. LGBT supportiveness alone isn’t enough to win me over, just as lack of LGBT support isn’t enough to make me not vote for someone. However, direct antipathy, that is sufficient cause for lack of support.

Also, I found this quote fun.

The sad thing is that morons have this overwhelming need to try to pick fights at places where they know they’re out-armed. It is doubly sad that you feel the need to project this image you have conceived onto people without looking at the reality.

Not because I disagree (well, I disagree with labeling EVERYONE who disagrees with you a “moron”, but some people deserve it). But because that last sentence reminds me of what NDT always does just about every time I make any kind of statement on this site.

Comment by PSUdain — June 28, 2008 @ 1:57 pm - June 28, 2008

10. […] Welcome Instapundit Readers!! — While you are visiting, check out the election news GayPatriot broke earlier this week. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Heller Decision: Gay Rights’ Victory — June 28, 2008 @ 2:29 pm - June 28, 2008

11. Dear Heliotrope, I am sure in your fevered fantasies you would love to be assaulted by me. Unlike Republicans, who see violence as an answer for any solution, I do not. If you do get assaulted, I am sure it will be by someone who is of the conservative right, who considers himself an evangelical. After all, you are the one who want to “bear” arms under the Second Amendment to defend yourself from a gay bashing. You see yourself as shooting people. I wish you guys who are so gung ho on the Second Amendment would go over to Iraq and show us how tough you are. I am sure you’d have no trouble proving your machismo on the field of battle.

P.S. I would love to have seen Larry Craig being hauled out in handcuffs from the Men’s Room after flashing his little Congress Card thinking it was a Get Out Of Jail Free Card. LOL!

Love and kisses!

Comment by Pinky Bear — June 28, 2008 @ 3:08 pm - June 28, 2008

12. […] also: Gay Patriot’s report on John McCain’s secret meeting the Patrick Sammon of the Log Cabin […]

Pingback by Cenk Uygur calls out gay Republicans. « Earthling Blues — June 28, 2008 @ 3:22 pm - June 28, 2008

13. Right on Pinky Bear! You are calling out these hypocrites the way they should be called out. No person is perfect but I am sick and tired of people saying they don’t like McSame but they don’t like Obama either. NEWSFLASH: You will only have one or the other to chose from on election day so PICK A SIDE! After 7 years of failed Bush policies and actions that amount to treason, any vote cast for John McSame in my opinion will be cast by a MORON!

Comment by UrbanAddictiondotcom — June 28, 2008 @ 3:53 pm - June 28, 2008

14. #112: Nice one, there. heliotrope is not gay.

#110: What else do you call absurd fantasies about Jewish Nazis and black Klansmen besides transference of make-believe onto a reality they refuse to look at? They find it easier to caricature, vilify, and draw false equivalences than actually listen. So excuse me for not playing their idiotic games.

Comment by Attmay — June 28, 2008 @ 4:31 pm - June 28, 2008

15. #113: Darn Attmay, you have outed me!

Comment by heliotrope — June 28, 2008 @ 5:04 pm - June 28, 2008

16. […] marriage amendments even though Governor Schwarzenegger opposes it, the facts are clear. A few secret meetings with the Log Cabin Republicans doesn’t change the fact that John McCain is no friend to gay […]

Pingback by Think Progress Headline Sent To GayWeddingSearch.com: Too Clever! | gayweddingsearch.com — June 28, 2008 @ 5:13 pm - June 28, 2008

17. Hmmmm – typical republican patriarchal. Private meetings behind closed doors rather than facing the constituency and being upfront about your stances. Sadly, McCain has been both – upfront enough that if your willing to sell out your equality for a 10% tax cut and 4 more years in Iraq… and the most financially irresponsible borrow / spend party in US history… enjoy. Whatever happened to tax and spend democrats? When did the Repub’s take over that banner?

Comment by tommyz — June 28, 2008 @ 8:34 pm - June 28, 2008

18. Well, I went to Pride Fest in St Pete, wore my McCain shirt and didn’t get assaulted, only got a few glares. The friends of my friends gave me a snub but that’s ok, they looked ridiculous anyway. Guess I didn’t stay long enough for the drunkards to show their ignorance.

The fest itself reminded me of why I haven’t gone to such an event in years but it also reminded me of just how much I love freedom.

I did stop at LCR and chatted with the like minded. The morning was pleasant, hot & sticky, but pleasant overall.

Comment by EDinTampa — June 28, 2008 @ 9:12 pm - June 28, 2008

19. Gee, Ed, you must have been so disappointed. You know gay people are a tolerant bunch.

Comment by Pinky Bear — June 28, 2008 @ 11:01 pm - June 28, 2008

20. NEWSFLASH: You will only have one or the other to chose from on election day so PICK A SIDE!

False choice. If I really don’t like either candidate, I’ll vote third party, possibly Libertarian. A protest vote is not wasted.

I’m not “picking sides” or anything else so immature and fatuous. This is an election not a sporting event, and I don’t have to be all “rah rah rah!” for either side. When it comes down to it, I will pick whichever candidate I feel aligns most closely with my views. It is unlikely to be Obama. It could have been McCain, but it’s looking less so each day.

Comment by PSUdain — June 28, 2008 @ 11:03 pm - June 28, 2008

21. Dear PSU,

If only there were really a third choice. There isn’t. The American Political System is binary, with the illusion of there being choice. In truth, Politics is a game for whatever is left of the Middle Class. If you’re rich, you can do whatever you want. If you are poor, no one cares. If you are Middle Class, you have a lot of Plutarchs pretending they care about you and then end up screwing you in some compromise. The whole political system is a ploy to take the reins off of the Cooperation and allow them to make as much money as possible while they can.

Bu$hCo will make sure it bleeds the American People dry for the sake of Oil. It has no interest in doing anything but make token tax cuts for the middle class while sucking the money from those tax cuts through commodities like oil, flour, other foods and materials.

The whole Economic Spending package was just a way of throwing bread to the mobs of Roma. It will encourage people to spend and ignore their real problems. So many people have already had their Stimulus Money gobbled up by gas prices and the rising cost of food.

Comment by Pinky Bear — June 29, 2008 @ 2:26 am - June 29, 2008

22. And we have the gay Republican(s) responding in an equally ridiculous manner:

Oh please share with us how that is “ridiculous”.

Unlike Republicans, who see violence as an answer for any solution, I do not.

For example….???? If you mean as opposed to grabbing our ankles for the sorry SOBs who gave us such greats as the first WTC attacks, the Kenya & Tanzania bombings, the USS Cole attack, 9/11 etc. If that’s the case, you can bet you’re sweet ass we prefer “violence” as opposed to running out to the microphones and faking a few tears.

Whatever happened to tax and spend democrats?

Well, the current version goes by Barack HUSSEIN Obama and the current failured in congress who support rolling back the Bush Tax Cuts which have resulted in record revenues to the Treasury. $1 TRILLION plus in new spending with ZERO justification and ZERO plans to pay for it, other than screwing over Americans with higher taxes, adding millions of lower income families BACK onto the taxrolls and grabbing money from the oil companies and more profitable industries under the guise of “screwing the rich”, well there you have it.

Not to mention the fact that “screwing the rich” doesn’t seem to include George Soros, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett or to a lesser extent, the union members who rake in tons of cash while their incompetence is protected.

I could go on about the Limousine/Learjet liberals, but I think you already know the truth. You prefer to raise taxes “on the rich” so they can shelter their money, meanwhile the millions of poor you just added back on get to shoulder the burden.

Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 29, 2008 @ 8:03 am - June 29, 2008

23. Welcome EdInTampa!

Ed — if I didn’t vomit in my mouth everytime I saw John McCain’s name, I’d probably wear his T-Shirt to some Pride event too.

After all, PatriotPartner & I wore Bush-Cheney T-Shirts to DC Pride once. As I recall, hostile glares followed us the entire day.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — June 29, 2008 @ 9:33 am - June 29, 2008

24. Wrap it all up in the American Flag and with the Cross of Jesus, you can hoodwink the rubes of America to allowing you do whatever you want to them.

Please file under “Pinky Bear.” You really don’t need to put anything else in the folder.

Comment by heliotrope — June 29, 2008 @ 9:43 am - June 29, 2008

25. I hope that gay “conservative” white males and woman fully comprehend what 4 more years of the bush legacy would mean to our personal freedoms and liberties. If bush, ahem, I mean McCain is elected you will have to make sure that closet door is pulled tightly behind you and no peeking for 4 MORE YEARS! It is only human to be wary of those that are a little different than us . But please don’t let the prejudice you may feel towards a man of color be used as a wedge against common sense.

Comment by Kelli Busey — June 29, 2008 @ 10:31 am - June 29, 2008

26. #126:

Now we’re “prejudice(d)…[against] a man of color” for daring not to bow down to the Obamessiah. What are we supposed to do, change our middle names to Hussein?

Comment by Attmay — June 29, 2008 @ 3:05 pm - June 29, 2008

27. “…..what 4 more years of the bush legacy would mean to our personal freedoms and liberties….”

Would you please list three of your personal freedoms and liberties that have been stepped on by the Bush administration.

“…. McCain is elected you will have to make sure that closet door is pulled tightly behind you and no peeking for 4 MORE YEARS!….”

Gays are stuck in the closet under Bush? McCain will force gays to stay in the closet? Is this website in the closet? Please elucidate, I am fascinated.

“….please don’t let the prejudice you may feel towards a man of color be used as a wedge against common sense …..”

What evidence have you found anywhere on this site that any single person opposes Obama because of the color of his skin. That is, where do you get off calling anyone here a bigot? And, if Barack Obama were white, would he have the following and support he has? Why?

Does the race card trump all others or is it just another joker?

Comment by heliotrope — June 29, 2008 @ 6:34 pm - June 29, 2008

28. #122. Wow… Just wow… Does one take lessons to become that crazy? I mean I’ve heard plenty of crazy from both sides. But I think that merits a new distinction. Perhaps something like: Grade AA Extra-Saturated Ultra-High Grade Nutzo?

Comment by PSUdain — June 30, 2008 @ 1:21 am - June 30, 2008

29. […] marriage amendments even though Governor Schwarzenegger opposes it, the facts are clear. A few secret meetings with the Log Cabin Republicans doesn’t change the fact that John McCain is no friend to gay […]

Pingback by Blogcabin California » John McCain Trying To Have It Both Ways With Gay Community — June 30, 2008 @ 1:45 pm - June 30, 2008

30. […] they don’t even consider the facts before leveling their accusations. When Bruce broke the news of Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon’s meeting with presumptive Republican presidential […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Real Gay Self-Hatred — July 2, 2008 @ 2:50 am - July 2, 2008

31. The self-loathing really is sad. I wish people could see that the only thing the Republican operatives care about is money. All the rest is to get votes. They don’t care about gay marriage but must oppose it to get the most hateful of the religious right, they don’t care whether someone has an abortion, they don’t care about your guns either, but know that there aren’t enough rich people to keep them in office. Without emotional issues (and frankly, lots of stupid people), they can’t suck in enough voters to get elected dog-catcher, so maybe being a gay Republican does make sense if you are rich and your taxes are the only issue that really matters. Much more than that matters to me, and no one is really standing up for my rights as a lesbian, but at least Obama isn’t meeting us behind the outhouse at 2:00 a.m.

Comment by Dana — July 2, 2008 @ 4:35 pm - July 2, 2008

32. No need to look here for any fresh ideas.
    Gay conservatives make me queasy.
    McCain is just too old to be elected.
    Too cranky and spoiled as well.

Comment by devon — July 2, 2008 @ 4:42 pm - July 2, 2008

33. […] were hopeful back in June, when John McCain had an (albeit “secret”) meeting with the Log Cabin Republicans, that […]

Pingback by More “Constitution Party” fun : Equality Loudoun — August 18, 2008 @ 11:27 am - August 18, 2008

34. […] right when it comes to gay rights, he’s kow-towing to them. Earlier this year, McCain personally met with the president of the Log Cabin Republicans, but the group has yet to officially […]

Pingback by Zev Mo Bloggin’ » McCain Says He Couldn’t Pick A Running Mate Who Is ‘Pro-Gay Rights’ — September 4, 2008 @ 1:09 pm - September 4, 2008