Bloggers Addressing Plight of Our Fellows in Islamic Lands

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 12:39 pm - June 27, 2008.
Filed under: Blogging,Gays in Other Lands

I try when scanning the comments and reading my e-mail (as well as listening to friends and others who chance upon this blog) to take seriously any and all criticism. Sometimes that requires me to try to parse the logic of those who take issue with my writings but who aren’t really interested in engaging my ideas.

These people seem more interested in baiting us or in proving their own theories about gay conservatives (see e.g., the reaction to Bruce’s post breaking the news of the meeting between presumptive Republican nominee John McCain and Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon) than in actually considering our points.

But, sometimes, our critics, even in comments where they misrepresent our arguments, do have something serious to say. One such critic is Houndentenor who, in esponding to my post, Straight Writer Decries “Islamist” Intolerance of Gays, writes, “Any number of gay publications and bloggers regularly either cover the problems of gay rights abuses in the Islamic world or link to sources that do.

He claimed I was “dishonest” not to acknowledge that. I wasn’t dishonest.  In the post, I didn’t claim gay bloggers failed to address the issue.  I only referenced the silence of gay political organizations.  In fact, I did cite one left-of-center gay blogger, Michael Petrelis, who regularly posts on the persecution of gay people in Islamic lands.

He, however, is not the only one.

Chris Crain routinely addresses this matter on his blog Citizen Crain. As does Andy on Towleroad. Just four day ago, that latter linked a report of a mass arrest of gay men in Saudi Arabia

Normally, when I scan the gay blogs, I find silence on such matters. But, some have spoken out, a number (notably Petrelis and Crain) on a regular basis. Please alert me to other gay bloggers who do this on a regular basis with links to their post and I will update this one accordingly

1. All gays should approach radical Islam as a looming threat.

This is one place where gays on the left and gays on the right should be united, vigilant and vocal.

It is my observation that many (gays and straights alike) are of a mind to negotiate for an epiphany to change the hearts of radical fundamentalists. Astounding.

Comment by heliotrope — June 27, 2008 @ 12:51 pm - June 27, 2008

2. Add feminists to the list, ht. That’s the great mystery: Why the people who stand to lose most in the face of radical Islam instead busy themselves with pretensions that Bush is somehow a major force – and problem – in their lives.

[GPW] In the post… I only referenced the silence of gay political organizations.

A silence that continues to deafen.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 27, 2008 @ 1:04 pm - June 27, 2008

3. Those of us who are both gay and Jewish, regardless of our political beliefs, should be doubly concerned.

The gay marriage debate will be moot if we’re all lying decapitated on the street.

Comment by Attmay — June 27, 2008 @ 1:16 pm - June 27, 2008

4. It’s obvious isn’t it?

The Leftist Feminists, the Leftist detestable faggots, the Leftist Jews .. most of them (generally) , hate their countrymen to such an extent that this hate blinds them from bothering themselves to realize the truth about the Islamic Jihad.

Some of them choose to remain in denial about it.. Some of them foolishly think that the Muslims could be appeased, some of them think they can ally themselves wiht the Jihadis against us. And some of them deny the threat because we say there is one.

All of these people will be responsible for the million of deaths yet to come.

Comment by Vince P — June 27, 2008 @ 2:15 pm - June 27, 2008

5. That’s the great mystery: Why the people who stand to lose most in the face of radical Islam instead busy themselves with pretensions that Bush is somehow a major force – and problem – in their lives.

That’s easy. It’s because the Administration has done its job too well, meaning few people, including a large volume of people on the right, are going to take the threat of Islamic fundamentalism seriously. Muslim lunatics are half a world away while Teh Booshitler is right here… And since we’ve not seen any at home violence since 9-11 no one seriously thinks cave dwellers are going to take over America.

It’s easy to dismiss a threat that you have no reason to believe you’ll ever be faced with.

Comment by DoDoGuRu — June 27, 2008 @ 3:19 pm - June 27, 2008

6. Great blog. Keep up the great work. You may want to check out Gay Persons of Color:

Comment by TorontoVet — June 27, 2008 @ 6:37 pm - June 27, 2008

7. It is my observation that many (gays and straights alike) are of a mind to negotiate for an epiphany to change the hearts of radical fundamentalists.

One could say that sounds like “gay Nazis”.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 28, 2008 @ 1:05 am - June 28, 2008

8. I don’t know anyone who isn’t HORRIFIED at how women and gays and for that matter Christians are treated in the Muslim world. No one. These stories are not covered often enough. In reality Americans don’t get nearly enough international news as it is and quite often news agencies don’t have reporters in these countries (does any US agency actually have reporters inside Iran?) and probably couldn’t verify the stories if they did.

Yes there are some far-left freaks who won’t criticize female circumcision and other practices out of some idiotic need to be PC. But those people are about as representative of the liberals I know as white supremacist militia groups are of most conservatives.

Why are we attacking each other over this? We have no disagreement. Instead of attacking other people for what they are not doing, why don’t we DO something.

So here’s my challenge. What can we as US citizens do on behalf of women and gays and minority groups (ethnic, religious or otherwise) in these countries where there is no tolerance for their rights? What if we accomplished something together rather than attacking each other for a change?

Comment by Houndentenor — June 30, 2008 @ 7:35 pm - June 30, 2008

9. Good point, Houndentenor. What can we do together?

Comment by GayPatriotWest — June 30, 2008 @ 7:50 pm - June 30, 2008