Best Fireworks Color Commentary Ever

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 11:18 pm - July 4, 2008.
Filed under: Family,Living In Red State America,Patriotism

After my sister returned to the hospital to spend the balance of the evening with my Mom, I returned on I-71 to my brother’s where I am currently staying. All around me, as I traversed Hamilton County, I could see — and hear — fireworks and regretted that I would miss seeing them this year.

But, I was eager to return here so I could enjoy the leftovers from my brother’s Independence Day party. Just as I was about to get the food out of the fridge, my brother invite me to join him on his front porch as he watched the fireworks. We saw an amazing display just over the trees in the neighboring subdivision.

My sister-in-law soon joined us downstairs to tell us that her son, the youngest PatriotNephewWest, was watching from his bathroom and was offering most interesting commentary. Apparently frightened by the sound, he had retreated inside as soon as the show had started.

Following her upstairs, I joined my nephew and his maternal Grandma and heard the best color commentary on a fireworks display I have ever heard. This adorable and intelligent two-year-old called this one, “awesome,” that one “amazing,” another “spectacular” (at least that was what it sounded like he was trying to say–he gave each word his own unique pronunciation). A few were so overwhelming him that all he could do was say, “Wow.”

After the grand finale, he said, “all done,” then concluded, “that’s a wrap,” causing my sister-in-law to wonder where her son had learned that expression.

And making his uncle feel very lucky that he got to spend this Independence Day in his hometown.

1. It almost makes you wish you could see the world through a child’s eye sometimes. To feel that innocent and unjaded once in a while could be very refreshing.

Comment by BeLinda — July 5, 2008 @ 2:29 am - July 5, 2008

2. First of all, I distinctly recall giving you the day off this morning. But then if you’re just waiting around and bored, gofrit.

I second Belinda. I always love to see kid’s expressions to such things. When you know how fireworks work and you’ve seen them a hundred times, they can be pretty damn cool, but not as awesome as they were when we were crumb crunchers.

On a similar note, I despise laws that ban fireworks. The exception being bans due to fire weather, obviously. I think it robs some folks of the fun involved with them. What’s more, it doesn’t stop folks and law enforcement doesn’t seem to enforce it.

For example, in my county, fireworks that shoot up in the air are banned, but guess what you see on the 4th and New Years? They don’t even have fireworks stands in my county. In Hillsborogh, the next county over, there’s fireworks stands, but you have to sign a waiver stating that they’re for agricultural purposes (scaring birds) only. How retarded is that?

Now go to Houston, TX (Pete will vouch), you can find a fireworks stand practically every 50 yards. At major intersections, you can find one on each of the four corners. Sometimes two or three each with competitors backed right up against each other.

I say let people use ’em. If they’re stupid and blow themselves up, guess who owns that problem? We should never be punished for the stupid.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 5, 2008 @ 3:47 am - July 5, 2008

3. Hi, stranger
    Hope all is well with your mum. Never forget there’s more to life than fireworks, but no doubt you’ll have discovered that by now.
    Love
    Sister
    Wenona.
    (I just notice that it seems a bit biblical. It is not meant as such, but if you want to see it like that, please do)

Comment by Wenona — July 5, 2008 @ 3:49 am - July 5, 2008

4. #2 – TGC, partially correct but mostly wrong. Fireworks are illegal in Houston, but if you go out to unincorporated Harris County or one of the surrounding ones (Brazoria, Montgomery, Ft. Bend or Waller), you can find a ton of fireworks stands.

However, both HPD and HFD will cite you if you are found even transporting fireworks from outside the city limits into Houston. Call it unfair, but that’s city law.

Be that as it may, we host the largest land-based fireworks display in the country (Freedom over Texas), and last night’s extravaganza was a WOW and a half!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 5, 2008 @ 12:01 pm - July 5, 2008

5. Sounds like a good time. Glad you had an excellent 4th!

Comment by MikeInSedona — July 5, 2008 @ 1:28 pm - July 5, 2008

6. #4
    I meant in Spring. Shoulda been more specific.

Remember Enron’s Power of Houston displays?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 6, 2008 @ 12:20 am - July 6, 2008

7. #6 – Sure do. Now it’s renamed “Freedom Over Texas” and sponsored by Chevy.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 6, 2008 @ 11:33 am - July 6, 2008

8. The eyes and smiles of children keep us all alive.

Comment by Swampfox — July 7, 2008 @ 8:15 pm - July 7, 2008

9. This was the best 4th of July ever! Jesse Helms died!

Comment by kojoto — July 10, 2008 @ 12:17 am - July 10, 2008

10. #9 – Not quite. You are, unfortunately, still with us.

Maybe next year.