Sarah Palin: Diva for Gay Republicans?

I’ve always defined a diva as a strong, confident woman who commands the respect of men, the type of woman we gay men love.

Watching the Alaska Governor address the crowd in Denver earlier today, I was captivated. Sarah Palin held up well in her first appearance on the national political stage. Not only did she sound good, but she looked good. This lady has style.  I mean, you gotta love a politician whose hair reminds you of Audrey Hepburn.

I think she does a lot for the GOP. She’s “playing well with Hillary supporters.” Watching CNN while at the gym, I heard (well, actually read the close-captioning of) an evangelical recounting how excited how many of his colleagues are about the choice.

Michael Barone says she’ll be “Welcomed by Social and Economic Conservatives:”

Palin is a strong advocate of Second Amendment rights (a lifetime NRA member) and of oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (will she change McCain’s mind on this?). Cultural conservatives have no basis for objecting to her. Neither, I would think, do economic conservatives. She supported Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell in his primary race against 35-year House incumbent Don Young, father of the “Bridge to Nowhere.”

Her (and her husband’s) blue collar background will help her with those Hillary supporters, those “Reagan Democrats,” wary of their party’s nominee.

As a Governor, she took on special interests and fought corruption, doing more to reform her state’s government in her short time as chief executive of Alaska than Barack Obama has in twice that time in the United States Senate. This pick reinforces McCain’s image as a maverick and, as I wrote earlier today, helps undercut “the Democratic attempt to tie our man to George W. Bush.

Sarah Palin is anything but a Bush Republican.

And we gay Republicans have something to cheer in her record. Shortly after taking office, she vetoed legislation that would have prevented the state from providing benefits to the same-sex partners of state employees.

UPDATE:  I wonder if it was this pick which motivated me to make a modest contribution to the McCain-Palin campaign.  I encourage you to do so as well.

UPDATE from Bruce (GayPatriot): I can’t believe I am going to give money to the McCain campaign, but as Dan does above — I urge you to do so as well.  This commenter at The Corner sums up how I feel today.

Toss me in as another Republican who’s ecstatic about this pick and who’s writing a check. I teared up as I watched the speech given by Gov. Palin. I haven’t been this proud to be a Republican in far too long a time. I am proud we have a bona fide American hero running for president who has the political chops to miraculously energize his base and sucker punch the opposition at the same time.

Unbelievable. Now where’s my credit card…

UP-UPDATE: The folks at one of my favorite blogs, Powerline, were perhaps he most disappointed of the conservative bloggers at the Palin selection. In their latest post, Scott Johnson writes:

Judging by our email, Governor Palin’s selection has electrified conservatives. I think this is in part because of the way she is living out the prolife credo. She sets a powerful and inspiring example. In part the excitement also derives from her stands against the corruption that has tarnished the Republican Party. It seemed unlikely that McCain’s vice presidential selection would at the same time excite party regulars and serve to attract independents, but it may well do so.

As testimony to that electrification, I reference Bruce’s update above. 🙂

UP-UP-UPDATE: Check below the “jump” for more commentary on this choice:Hugh notes that conservatives are happy with the pick.  And why?  Perhaps, because, as John J. Miler says the Alaska Governor is “possibly the one choice that can be described as both conservative and maverick.” Â

Victor Davis Hanson says one thing a lot of conservatives have been saying:

In a Zen way it raises the inexperience issue, inviting Obama to critique a fresh VP as “inexperienced” and thereby automatically turn the same scrutiny to his as-thin-or-even-thinner resume for the more important job.

Read the whole thing.

Andy McCarthy is one of many conservatives who have become enthusiastic about McCain’s candidacy now that the presumptive Republican nominee has tapped Sarah Palin as his running mate:

It also shows that he does care about the future of the party after McCain, which I doubted. Today, I go from from an ambivalent McCain supporter driven more by fear of Obama to someone who can feel good about the prospects of a McCain administration. If there are a few million more like me, maybe the all-important undercard of Senate and House races won’t turn out as badly as some experts are predicting.

Once again, read the whole thing!

1. Now that it is well know that Gov. Palin belongs to a church that promotes “praying away the gay.” I hope all Republican gay men and women will decide not to vote McCain Palin. Think about it, praying to God to erase the “mistake” of being gay? ‘Nuff said.

Comment by Michael Blum — September 9, 2008 @ 11:41 am - September 9, 2008

2. Maybe you guys can ask her to pray your gay away.

Comment by MJ — September 9, 2008 @ 6:24 pm - September 9, 2008

3. Are you guys not reading your positions correctly? Palin DOES NOT support equal benefits for gays or gay marriage:

Prior to being elected governor, Palin supported the 1998 constitutional amendment barring marriage for same-sex couples and has said she would support a ballot measure overturning a state supreme court decision mandating benefits for domestic partners of state employeesShe is close to “traditional values” groups, like Family Research Council, because she is strongly anti-choice Marriage and Relationship Recognition P

alin told the Anchorage Daily News that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment on marriage.In addition, she told the Daily News that she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to the domestic partners of public employees, which were ordered by an October 2005 decision of the Alaska Supreme Court, because, she said “honoring the family structure is that important.”While she followed the Court’s decision and he also signed legislation –her first legislative act as Governor of Alaska—to put the issue on the April 2007 ballot for a nonbinding advisory vote. This was the only issue on the ballot and that election cost the state taxpayers $1.2 million. This measure passed, but the legislature did not follow the public’s advice and it chose not to take any further action to overturn the court’s decision. · She did, however, veto legislation passed by the state legislature in 2006 that would have prohibited providing DP benefits to state workers, in defiance of the Alaska Supreme Court’s ruling. She did this after the Supreme Court had already ruled and the Attorney General (Republican) advised her that the legislation was unconstitutional. Palin went on to state that, as a matter of policy, she was in favor of the bill. Ties to Anti-LGBT GroupsShe will be honored alongside anti-gay Representative Michelle Bachman (R-MN) at an event at the 2008 Republican Convention, the “Life of the Party,” sponsored in part by long-time opponent of GLBT rights, Phyllis Schlafly.

Comment by Concerned Gay — September 9, 2008 @ 9:38 pm - September 9, 2008

4. I love how the ideogogues heads explode.

Country First!

Comment by Vince P — September 9, 2008 @ 11:25 pm - September 9, 2008

5. New to this blog — stunned and saddened to see that Sarah Palin is garnering any support whatsoever from gays and lesbians. Eight days now after her selection, Palin has demonstrated herself to be little more than a “wind-up doll” who repeats the same exact words over and over and over and over. And we’re getting behind that?? Leave the gay community’s adoration of Sarah Palin to the drag queens who will no doubt love portraying her forevermore. In the real world: anyone outside of the white-bread, “be fruitful and multiply” mold from which Palin is cut will not support her if they have functioning heart, brain, and self-respect. Personally (and especially seeing how weary McCain looks simply campaigning, let alone governing) I believe John McCain’s greatest ambition is to be president, that he is desperate to achieve it, especially in his twilight years, and he’ll do anything to further that ambition — including choose a running mate whose views are largely in opposition to his own. I strongly believe that after this presidential election is over, McCain — win or lose — will find that his body’s natural desire to finally “rest” will take over, he will age twice as quickly as other presidents (who already age quickly — get a look at Prez Bush the other day?), and within four years Palin will be our national leader. That thought terrifies me.

Comment by Christine — September 10, 2008 @ 6:13 am - September 10, 2008

6. Wow, this is interesting. I can’t believe that you Republican Gays, really think that if Sarah Palin and John McShame, get into office they are going to support anything, that they say is against GOD. She might give you her preelection BS, but the way she feels about God and the bible, rest assured your advance as gay Americans will surely go by the wayside. Ms. Palin plans to pray your Gay A** away.

[GP Ed. Note – Yes, dear. We’ve heard this all before. Fire up the buses that will take us all to the Republican-built Gay Concentration Camps (TM) that have been under construction since 1981.]

Comment by Tinya — September 10, 2008 @ 10:54 pm - September 10, 2008

7. How can you Republi-gays ignore the fact that Sarah Palin ONLY vetoed the domestic partner legislation because the Alaska Supreme Court told her that the legislation was uncontitional?! She said herself that she disagreed with the idea of DP benefits. She disagrees with EVERYTHING pro-gay, and is proud of the fact that her church is advertising for the Love Won Out conference in Anchorage! As a gay man myself, it makes absolutely no sense that ANY gay person could go far enough into denial to not SEE this stuff.

Comment by Andrew Boutcher — September 12, 2008 @ 3:16 pm - September 12, 2008

8. I DONT get some of you people! She only vetoed the bill because the Alaska Supreme Court told her the bill was unconstitutional- She was all for it. You really need to get your facts straight!!! Shes not for any gay rights. Marriage or anything else. I don’t get how on earth anyone in the gay community could be behind her. I’m am truely scared about what will happen if her and Mccain are elected. You don’t think she’s a threat? Jesus- do some research. And her latest “I’m not one to judge” is BS and she totally went around the issue in the first place. You think trying to change the constitution was bad with Bush? Watch til she gets more power- and If you are one of the ones who are for that power and she does end up in Washington- I guess you get what you deserve but I’m sorry cuz you are dragging the rest of us in the gay community down with you!

Comment by ashley — September 13, 2008 @ 4:55 am - September 13, 2008

9. You guys are crazy. This woman has attended and will attend the PRAY FOR THE GAY CONVENTION. GO GOOGLE IT DUMMIES.

Comment by Eve — September 13, 2008 @ 3:59 pm - September 13, 2008

10. I googled Sarah Palin and Gay rights and came across this blog. After reading the posts, I just had to comment. I am a black gay independent, and an educator, and I am voting for Obama. I thought of voting for McCain, but have been turned off by his swing to the right to secure his nomination, and by the cynical selection of Sarah Palin . This country is on the verge of imploding financially, and spiritually. The last 8 years have been the “era of the bully” with the Bush Administration running around the world with a might makes right attitude that has destroyed our image as a beacon of hope to the rest of the world. And just as our waistlines have expanded due to the gluttony that has become the way of life for most Americans, So have our wealthy become bloated with the “win at all cost”, and “get mine before you get yours consciousness”. As a people we will not continue to prosper and survive if we continue on the path that we are on. looking at the age of the supreme court justices, there is the very real possibility that 2 or 3 of the justices will retire in the next administration. The thought of having an administration selecting the new judges that believes: 1) that Gay people have a choice, 2) Creationism is a legitimate science, 3) Woman who have been raped should be forced to have a baby,4) Torture of prisoners of war is okay 5) and that I don’t have the same rights as the other Marines that I fought side by side with in the Gulf War to marry whom I choose, is terrifying. I’m not going to hate on Gay republicans, Because I understand that there may be other issues that are more important to you. But think long and hard about what the consequences of that vote will be. Because one thing the Republicans have shown me is that if given the chance they will strip me of every right that I have and set up systems to make sure that things stay the status Quo. Even if they were going to allow it, A jewish person probably shouldn’t join the Klu Klux Klan to try to influence their politics. They may be able to get by for a while, but eventually they will probably end up on the end of a noose. Thanks for listening, and God save the Queens. 🙂

Comment by FJones — September 16, 2008 @ 8:40 am - September 16, 2008

11. I swear to God these Obama people are getting more and more deranged, irrational, infantile.

They revel in the false information they created. They have to know its fake yet they keep telling each other it.

I’ve never seen a group of people so openly and proudly brainwash each other like this. What the hell is wrong with them.

Comment by Vince P — September 16, 2008 @ 11:35 am - September 16, 2008

12. Touch a nerve? It’s okay, I love you anyway

Comment by FJones — September 16, 2008 @ 7:07 pm - September 16, 2008

13. Anyone that gets on this site and blasts me for my conservative views should take a good long look at what Democrats have done for gay people which is basically zilch. I think Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air to the over-paid garish Hollywood crowd and elitist liberal media. I applaud any woman who hunts, fishes and raises a family. The fact is she is more like most Americans than the left elitist crowd. I am a gay male that is accepted and respected in a very conservative area. I think gays are more accepted when they don’t try so hard to be different, with an in your face attitude. I can be gay, happy and proud without being a fascist about it. Anyone who works hard and has mutual respect for everyone else including conservatives will normally get the same in return. If you act like a fool, you’ll get treated like a fool! I believe we are in very trying times and I can’t trust Obama to get us out of it! We need people who can make tough decisions and not rely on focus groups, polls and media consultants.

Comment by Eddie M. — September 17, 2008 @ 11:34 am - September 17, 2008

14. McCain favours virginity until marriage. Sarah Palin is less conservative on contraception but she’s extremely conservative on abortion, as you can see in this video:

Comment by mildareveno — September 17, 2008 @ 5:07 pm - September 17, 2008

15. you are all dellusional

Comment by chris — September 18, 2008 @ 9:27 am - September 18, 2008

16. I’m an Independent voter,a woman, and I’m a lesbian. I was for McCain long before Palin, but I love her too. McCain is such a centrist, it’s like an Independent/Republican ticket! Now that’s bipartisan! As for the gay issue, Obama and McCain have the EXACT same position–let the states decide! Do Democrats want a cookie for that? I don’t like extreme candidates on either side, and it’s no secret McCain is moderate and Obama is as liberal as you can get! Plus, McCain is right on all of the important issues that matter most. Issues like the economy,energy,taxes,healthcare,etc. One more thing, I’m disgusted by the Democrats this year. They have not only proven themselves to be sexist bigots, but they have stoked racism and labeled people like crazy! They are always putting one group against the next, it’s disturbing! They have suppressed voter rights,insulted anyone who disagreed with them,threatened women with reproductive rights,race baited,abused women,called African Americans not for Obama “uncle toms”,etc. Don’t even get me started. The so-called “tolerant” left have become very intolerant to everyone who don’t do what they say! They have become fascists! Please Democrats, get the Clintons back and be the Party you USED to be! Journalism died in this election too because 97% of the media became Obama campaign headquarters! I’m disgusted with everything! McCain is the man who will bring everyone together. Obama and the Democrats seem to want to tear us all apart! Vote for real unity and leadership, vote for John McCain! A man who has always fought for you! Let’s fight for him now!
    McCain/Palin 08!!

Comment by The Audacity of Hype — September 21, 2008 @ 6:57 am - September 21, 2008

17. I love the “self loathing” comment. Just more intolerance from the “tolerant” left. I love myself and I love supporting John McCain. I am completely out of the closet and I have been since I was 15! I’m 27 now! Stop judging everyone liberals, you’ve obviously forgotten everything you’re supposed to believe in! People can have different beliefs and ideas! It doesn’t make them stupid or inadequate! The self righteous hypocrisy of the left is not to be desired!

Comment by The Audacity of Hype — September 21, 2008 @ 7:06 am - September 21, 2008

18. Democrats have the same position on gay rights as Republicans, but even if they didn’t I would vote for McCain. Not for self interest(which I know Democrats can’t understand), but for the good of the Country! That’s what “Country First” means! Lucky for me, his position on gay rights is the same as Obama’s!
    McCain/Palin 08!

Comment by The Audacity of Hype — September 21, 2008 @ 7:23 am - September 21, 2008

19. I’m an Independent voter,a woman, and I’m a lesbian. I was for McCain long before Palin, but I love her too. McCain is such a centrist which I love! McCain is right on all of the important issues that matter most. Issues like the economy, energy, taxes, healthcare,etc. One more thing, I’m disgusted by the Democrats this year. The so-called “tolerant” left have become very intolerant to everyone who don’t do what they say! They have become fascists! McCain is the man who will bring everyone together. Obama and the Democrats seem to want to tear us all apart!
    McCain/Palin 08!!

Comment by The Audacity of Hype — September 21, 2008 @ 7:26 am - September 21, 2008

20. The Audacity of Hype: Isn’t it amazing how the Left’s bigoted views about gay people compell them to harassas gays who do not conform to the stereotype the Left has constructed for them?

Comment by Vince P — September 21, 2008 @ 1:15 pm - September 21, 2008

21. Sarah Palin’s views on homsexuality are offensive. US citizens were gaining awareness and moving in a direction of acceptance.Truth is, no one, not even Sarah Palin can explain where homosexuality stems from. With that in mind, if it is derived from parental, environmental or genetic influences, how can one be “transformed” later in life? If one could prove these natural emotions were a result of human biology, Sarah Palin’s theory to “transform” insinuates she can override genetics. Otherwise, her logic blames society for the outcome, not individuals. Therefore, her solution suggests, “fixing” problems caused by those who created them.

I wonder if she had a gay, bi-sexual or bi-curious child, if they too would be enrolled in her “school of conversion?”

America represents freedom.
    Marriage is not a luxury-It is a human right.

As a woman, in particular, she should understand discrimination and fight for equality in this country.

Her glasses are as transparent as her lack of international foreign policy experience and human compassion.

Comment by JENNIFER SAGINOR — September 22, 2008 @ 3:25 am - September 22, 2008

22. SHOCKING that anyone with a brain, REGARDLESS OF BEING GAY OR STRAIGHT , would aline themselves with a party, hijacked by right winged evangelicals, who, fronted by Palin, DENY evolution, believe that homosexuality is NOT inherent and CURABLE (as if there is something to cure), believe that all 100,000 species of flies were on Noah’s ark (must have been quite a flycatcher), and that the Alaska pipeline “was god’s will”. (Not that I am against the pipeline but this sentiment is just insane)

It is my personal opinion that any gays in support of her, are either
    1. incapable of critical analysis
    or
    2 Christian (which is just plain silly!) cummon, you are gay, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER, a recent pole suggests that 85% of christians regardless of their support for or against gay rights believe that gay people are going to hell. How you could subscribe to the same belief as these hateful archaic people is beyond me. Just look at this comment by a “Child of God
    #43
    “WOW! I was told about you gay Republicans but, I honestly did not believe you existed! Gays voting for the group of people who hate them the most! What a bunch of idiots. That is like Jews voting for Hitler. I know people from Alaska and I know all about Palin. You homosexuals are on the top of her hate list. If you think for one second she will help you in any way you are insane. I personally don’t want gays to get married so I am happy for your support. You all helped Bush get in and look at the wonderful things he did for you. Are you sure that the leaders of your group are gay? I just don’t understand how one could vote for the people who really, really, hate them.”

I am not a big fan of Barack either, but this post isn’t about him. I could never, ever consider voting for Palin. We will look back on candidates like her in the same we look back on candidates who were pro-segregation.

Comment by Roger — September 22, 2008 @ 9:06 am - September 22, 2008

23. Hmmm…

Sarah Palin opposes same-sex marriage. In 1998, Alaska was one of the first U.S. states to pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage. Palin supported the amendment.

Palin’s first veto as Governor of Alaska was used to block a bill that would’ve barred same-sex partners from receiving state employee benefits under grounds of the constitutionality of the measure. The move, effectively, granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. However, Palin has stated that she would support a ballot measure overturning the standing state supreme court decision that mandates benefits for domestic partners of state employees.

Palin’s support of teaching creationism in schools and her ties to conservative anti-gay groups like Family Research Council, make it unlikely she will be in support of pro-gay legislation.

– Ramon Johnson, About.com

Comment by John — September 30, 2008 @ 11:28 am - September 30, 2008

24. Man, you angry lefties will beleive anything anyone says.

Palin went against her own well know beliefs to veto her state legislature when they tried to strip rights of state employee gay couples. And yet you mad fools hold it against her that she stood up for the rights of gay couples.

There is no reconciling you mad angry leftists.

Palin was put on an oil and gas board with her state’s congressional representatives and she saw corruption, pay offs, under the table dealing. So she resigned and ran against the incumbent Republican Govenor and beat him for the office. Then she went after the three Republicans who were involved with the backroom deals and kickbacks. All three are facing federal investigations and federal charges.

Now how is it that mad angry leftists can dislike a person who got four republicans thrown out of office and three thrown into jail?

Madness. It must be that you are all simply mad as hatters.

Comment by steve — October 1, 2008 @ 6:01 pm - October 1, 2008

25. the DEMS say they care about us but why did biden say that he and obama are against gay marriages. they never said it before

Comment by shannon — October 7, 2008 @ 12:39 am - October 7, 2008

26. btw….. she gave benefits to gay couples in her state.

Comment by shannon — October 7, 2008 @ 12:48 am - October 7, 2008

27. As a conservative Brit I was astonished to come upon this site, thinking that Gay Republican was an oxymoron.. As for supporting Mrs Palin your members comments remind of abused kids who still worship their abusers or turkeys voting for christmas. America is an amazing country but you deserve a much better Vice President than Mrs Palin will every be… You have some of the best minds on the planet and she is NOT one of them… Good luck , you’ll need it if they get elected..

Comment by carl — October 13, 2008 @ 8:49 pm - October 13, 2008

28. It is important to look beyond the candidates and look at what your party believes about being gay. PLEASE GOOGLE the Republican Platform and READ IT (Under the heading “Values”). Look at your STATE Republican Platform. They are all anti-gay, anti-gay adoption and even against a gay parent having custody of their own child! They are agains any kind of partner rights. WAKE UP FOLKS! THEY DON’T LIKE YOU! It’s like Jews voting for the Nazis! It is unbelievable!

Comment by Rob — October 21, 2008 @ 2:49 am - October 21, 2008

29. Sarah Palin is hanging from a roof in West LA and John McCain buring to death at same house along the street. This is a hate crime, and I dont know if it’s illegal to threaten presidential and vice presidential candidates? No pics of this online but this has been on local LA news. Also, City of West LA officially bans Sarha Palin dragqueens in cultural cleansing by a government entity. This home owner should be sued for civil rights violations at least!!!
    A report on Sarha Palin hanging ran on local los angeles CBS(kcbs) station at 6pm on Sunday 10-26-2008. These home owners should be sued for civil rights violations and charged with any law threatening presidential candidates as john McCain is depeicted burning to death. This city has also banned Sahra Palin drag queens to weed out gay conservatives in gov sanctioned cultural ethnic cleansing. This is also the same city that has made smoking weed legal.

Comment by juan rivera — October 26, 2008 @ 10:23 pm - October 26, 2008

30. […] GayPatriot kind of likes the idea of Palin as a diva. Interesting take. Can’t say I disagree. […]

Pingback by Sarah Palin is a Diva. Of course. Uppity Woman. « Whassup, Peoples? — October 27, 2008 @ 9:58 pm - October 27, 2008

31. what? how can my fellow gay people support this woman? wake up. they Hate us. denial ain’t a river in Egypt, girlfriend.

Comment by shocked — November 2, 2008 @ 3:39 pm - November 2, 2008