Well, John McCain Got His Headline

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 10:58 am - August 29, 2008.
Filed under: 2008 Presidential Politics

He taps Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate.

UPDATE from Bruce (GayPatriot):  Woooooo hooooo!  Just as I couldn’t imagine me disliking the Obama ticket more after he picked Biden, I’m shocked to now find myself EXCITED about McCain’s pick and Vice President Sarah Palin.  I almost can’t believe that he has done it.

UP-UPDATE (from Dan). Blogger Stephen R. Maloney e-mailed me over a year ago (on July 31, 2007) pushing Palin for VP.  He sent me this Pittsburgh Tribune-Review piece heralding this feisty Republican woman as the “GOP’s beacon.

UP-UP-UPDATE (from Dan):  Howard Wolfson (from HIllary’s campaign) says she’ll shakeup the race.  And thinks it might blunt the bump Obama gets from the Democratic convention.

UP-UP-UP-UPDATE (from Dan):  Hugh Hewitt calls this an “extraordinary choice.”  Read the whole thing.

1. YES!!! Awesome news! The Maverick was actually…er, mavericky in a GOOD way!!! Check out her bio, Palin is a conservative and not afraid to take on the party establishment! Good looks AND good brains! Whoo-hoo!

Comment by John — August 29, 2008 @ 11:00 am - August 29, 2008

2. Barack Who?

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 11:01 am - August 29, 2008

3. If you listen closely you can Hillary scream NOOOOoooooo!!!!!!

Ha!

Comment by John — August 29, 2008 @ 11:05 am - August 29, 2008

4. Woo hoo!!!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 29, 2008 @ 11:12 am - August 29, 2008

5. As I just got done saying: It gives the average voter a reason to feel great about supporting the cranky old white guy. Game-changer.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:13 am - August 29, 2008

6. Yes! Yes! YES!

Say bye, Obama.

Comment by rightwingprof — August 29, 2008 @ 11:13 am - August 29, 2008

7. BTW, she’s not half bad lookin’, either.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 29, 2008 @ 11:14 am - August 29, 2008

8. Last night, all I heard from the CNNites was how McCain had a better chance playing pickup sticks with his ass cheeks than stealing Obama’s pryotechinc arena rock thunder. Oopsy! Despite the Left’s condescending perception of Americans, we are nothing if not pragmatic and we can tell smoke and mirrors when we see them. McCain could have made today’s announcement in a greasy spoon in Tuscaloosa and it still would have trumped yesterday’s LaserBama.

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 11:19 am - August 29, 2008

9. Some call her a MILF. 🙂

So, on the game-changing thing… McCain supporters can now say “No, I’m not a racist, and screw you for thinking it… I *am* a bit of a feminist” and have it be credible. Obama is toast.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:21 am - August 29, 2008

10. This just in: Civic Center will be blasting Motley Crue’s (She’s Got the) Looks That Kill when Gov. Palin is introduced.

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 11:25 am - August 29, 2008

11. So if the libs aren’t in favor of Palin are they sexist pigs?

As soon as I heard the news, the first image that popped into my head was this :

Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Palin trying to have a polite afternoon tea together. Me thinks Mrs. Obama’s head would explode…

I wonder how soon I can get a sticker “McCain/Palin” attached to my car right next to the diversity flag?

Comment by TnnsNE1 — August 29, 2008 @ 11:26 am - August 29, 2008

12. Assuming it’s true, then heck yeah! She pretty much represents everything that’s right with the GOP, especially in contrast to other Alaska Republicans, in particular the disgraceful tag team of suckiness Rep. Young and Sen. Stevens. She should have strong appeal to social conservatives without being as polarizing a figure as, say, Gov. Huckabee. She is a walk-the-talk pro-lifer and has a nuanced view of gay rights that should help bridge the gap between social conservatives and the GLBT community probably better than any other choice. Pretty much everything to like about McCain’s politics (e.g., anti-earmarks, anti-corruption) is also true of her; she provides consistency with McCain while not reinforcing McCain’s liberal tendencies. She obviously connects well with voters and seems to understand that she works for the people as well as anyone in elected office today. Her inexperience may hurt her, but I’m confident that she’s smart and wise enough to be well prepared to take on Biden and help McCain win in November.

Comment by cme — August 29, 2008 @ 11:28 am - August 29, 2008

13. So, how will the MSM smear Palin? Will they use the Katherine Harris approach (uptight, moralist, Cruella de Vil) or the Condaleezza Rice approach (token minority stereotype parrot)?

Comment by V the K — August 29, 2008 @ 11:31 am - August 29, 2008

14. Love a woman that can shoot her own deer, fillet her own salmon and fire her own slapshot to the goalie’s weakside.

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 11:31 am - August 29, 2008

15. Another way this affects the game: The media have to give McCain *some* kudos… even if they still support Barack. Which means: They can’t completely filter out his message. They can’t guarantee (or deliver) Barack’s election.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:31 am - August 29, 2008

16. #13 V: It’ll be both. It just won’t work very well.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:32 am - August 29, 2008

17. Make that 18 million and ONE cracks in the glass ceiling!

Hear that? That’s the sound of the Dhimmicrats going “HOLY S__T!!”

YOU GO, SARAH! And yes, she IS a looker. Hell, she could convert me! (Just kidding, guys. Actually, it was Geralding Ferraro who made me switch the first time.)

She will absolutely eat Joe Biden’s lunch in the VP debate. And woe be unto any Dhimmicrat who dares question her “experience” or “gender.”

Regards,
    Peter H. (doing happy dance)

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 29, 2008 @ 11:33 am - August 29, 2008

18. So if the libs aren’t in favor of Palin are they sexist pigs?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:33 am - August 29, 2008

19. Actually, it’s already begun. She’s Dan Quayle. Expect Kevin to parrot the talking point within 24 hours.

Comment by V the K — August 29, 2008 @ 11:34 am - August 29, 2008

20. #18 – Remember how many women said of Hillary’s chances that “we need a woman in the White House?”

Well, girls – here’s your chance. Now show us that you aren’t a bunch of hypocritical cows.

And get ready guys: PALIN/JINDAL 2012!!

Regards,
    Peter H. (still doing happy dance)

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 29, 2008 @ 11:35 am - August 29, 2008

21. Sarah Palin is one VPILF

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 11:41 am - August 29, 2008

22. My prediction: The MSM will mention, at every turn, that her youngest son has Downs.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 29, 2008 @ 11:42 am - August 29, 2008

23. VPILF — I agree!!!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 29, 2008 @ 11:43 am - August 29, 2008

24. Wow! Certainly a bold choice for VP. Now she’ll have to make herself known to the lower 48. From what I’ve been reading in Wikipedia, she’s pro-life, but has gay friends & is concerned about discrimination against gays & lesbians. I wonder how that will play with the religious right? Ms. Palin is only 11 weeks older than me. So, yeah it’s kinda weird that she’s of my generation & will be a heartbeat away from the top office. All in all, an excellent choice. McCain/Palin ’08!

Comment by Jimbo — August 29, 2008 @ 11:47 am - August 29, 2008

25. #21 So is her hubbie 😉

Comment by John — August 29, 2008 @ 11:48 am - August 29, 2008

26. McCain/Palin unbelievably awesome!!! My Republican sister is in tears!
    I can’t wait to put a McCain/Palin sign in my front yard, a bumper sticker on my cars and can’t wait to send in a check!!
    And liberals…..watch out, don’t be sexist and criticize our Sarah!!!!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — August 29, 2008 @ 11:49 am - August 29, 2008

27. The talking heads on MSNBC look like someone shot their dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — August 29, 2008 @ 11:50 am - August 29, 2008

28. She’s Dan Quayle.

That won’t carry them far. Aren’t they implicitly arguing that the woman candidate is a dumb blonde? That ‘sexist pig’ thing rears its ugly head, again. Welcome, Hillary supporters!

Furthermore, Sarah Palin has stronger experience and qualifications to be President of the United States than Barack Obama. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 11:58 am - August 29, 2008

29. ILC nailed it. If they try to attack her on that grounds, she need smile and simply say, “I’m not at the top of the ticket. John McCain is, and he HAS more experience. Now why don’t you go talk to the Democrats, where the MOST inexperienced person is in charge?”

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 29, 2008 @ 12:00 pm - August 29, 2008

30. The Democrat talking points talks about how inexperienced she is “a heartbeat away from the President”. Umm Barack’s total inexperience would BE the heartbeat. Is that the best they can do?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — August 29, 2008 @ 12:01 pm - August 29, 2008

31. #24. Damn straight. And you’d better believe that he’s drilling her ANWR.

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 12:04 pm - August 29, 2008

32. Wow! What a bold choice for VP. I didn’t know McCain had it in him. This has got to set a record for longest span of age between a Presidential candidate & the VP (he was born 8-29-36, she was born 2-11-64). I’ve been reading about her in Wikipedia. She’s pro-life (I’m pro-choice, but I have no problem with her stance). She has gay friends & is concerned about discrimination against us.
    McCain just hit a home run. Go, McCain/Palin ’08!

Comment by Jimbo — August 29, 2008 @ 12:05 pm - August 29, 2008

33. Sarah Palin has stronger experience and qualifications to be President of the United States than Barack Obama.

1. She’s has real executive experience. In Alaska, she actually reformed government, canceled wasteful spending (including the bridge to nowhere), ditched the governor’s private jet.

2. Hunts, fishes, snowmobiles, and engages in other real American activities. Is this experience? Damn right it is. You learn a lot more about the world out in the field hunting game than you do munching arugula in the living rooms of unrepentant terrorists or riding the Acela from Wilmington to DC.

3. Gave birth to a Down’s Syndrome baby (90% of which are aborted). {I expect the HuffPro crowd to have “fun” with that.} This gives her moral authority, gravitas, and experience in dealing with life’s hardships. (Getting by on a $317K affirmative action job is NOT a hardship).

Comment by V the K — August 29, 2008 @ 12:06 pm - August 29, 2008

34. Aren’t conservative as a rule more attractive than liberals?

Comment by TnnsNE1 — August 29, 2008 @ 12:08 pm - August 29, 2008

35. #32, you slam dunked it AND picked up the foul! The most amazing thing about this move is that you’d swear that there never was a convention in Denver this week.

Comment by Right Turn — August 29, 2008 @ 12:09 pm - August 29, 2008

36. Hmm… 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling… and today that ceiling comes crashing down. What the Democrats were scared to do… the Republicans have done.

I couldn’t be happier and prouder right now. I am so changing my affliation and donating to his campaign.

Comment by Herr Kub — August 29, 2008 @ 12:14 pm - August 29, 2008

37. OK. I’m impressed. And that has been hard to do this year. I’ve been pretty jaded as of late.

PS. If you still don’t want to vote for McCain, there IS one more candidate running who would be – A Better Choice, For A Better America!!!

Comment by sonicfrog — August 29, 2008 @ 12:24 pm - August 29, 2008

38. The Uhbama Campaign responds.

Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain’s commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush’s failed economic policies — that’s not the change we need, it’s just more of the same.

Bitter much?

Comment by V the K — August 29, 2008 @ 12:35 pm - August 29, 2008

39. She’s a young, American, gorgeous version of Margaret Thatcher.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 29, 2008 @ 12:41 pm - August 29, 2008

40. Rush loves her, and you know how critical he is of McCain.
    he is saying all the right things, she is qualified, she gave kudos to Hillary and Ferraro!

Comment by Leah — August 29, 2008 @ 12:52 pm - August 29, 2008

41. And best of all, she is exposing the deep, dark, racemongering, sexist pool of filth that runs underneath the entire Democrat Party.

But I gotta agree with John….Todd Palin is smokin’ hawt.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 29, 2008 @ 1:02 pm - August 29, 2008

42. #32 – Please also note that if Obama’s “community organizer” (who accomplished nothing) experience counts for anything, then Palin’s executive experience as Mayor (who accomplished something) surely counts much more.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 1:02 pm - August 29, 2008

43. When the Dems do this, they are celebrated, she will be vilified, but I for one am very proud of her for this. Also, I appreciate that she showed up in a skirt!

She opposes same-sex marriage, but she has stated that she has gay friends and is receptive to gay and lesbian concerns about discrimination.[10] While the previous administration did not implement same-sex benefits, Palin complied with an Alaskan state Supreme Court order and signed them into law.[32] She disagreed with the Supreme Court ruling[33] and supported a democratic advisory vote from the public on whether there should be a constitutional amendment on the matter.[34] Alaska was one of the first U.S. states to pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage, in 1998, along with Hawaii.[35] Palin has stated that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment.[10]

Palin’s first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska’s attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation.[33]

Comment by Leah — August 29, 2008 @ 1:04 pm - August 29, 2008

44. Folks, I am loving this. McCain is still a turd, as V keeps saying. But he picked the one person who has some hope of keeping him on a remotely, halfway decent track. It’s a good blend. McCain-Palin beats Obama-Biden, both in goodness and (I predict) in electability. Heck, I might even put a McCain-Palin bumper sticker on my car. I never thought I would say that.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 1:06 pm - August 29, 2008

45. As I type this, the California liberals in the next cube-pod over are saying “I don’t know about her… but picking a woman, McCain made a smart move.”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 29, 2008 @ 1:08 pm - August 29, 2008

46. I love her, she is such an awesome pick! I am really impressed about his boldness in this pick and it shows that he’s truly a maverick. I think McCain, even if he doesn’t win, should be commended on how he has run this campaign.

Comment by Darkeyedresolve — August 29, 2008 @ 1:28 pm - August 29, 2008

47. Palin was the pick I was hoping for, but I was prepared for Romney. WOW. “The Secret” must work. 🙂

Comment by MikeInSedona — August 29, 2008 @ 4:52 pm - August 29, 2008

48. I too am thrilled!
    David

Comment by LifeTrek — August 29, 2008 @ 5:19 pm - August 29, 2008

49. what a bunch of cowards

Comment by michael — August 29, 2008 @ 6:00 pm - August 29, 2008

50. I’m anxious to learn more about Palin, but from what I’ve read so far – me like.

She may not have “experience” (if experience means spending 35 years in the Senate doing the bidding of MBNA to keep that cash rolling in).

Experience is good – but good judgement and good instincts are better. I think Palin may just have both.

If McCain/Palin can avoid any major gaffs, The Messiah could lose in a landslide. The Dems still have a chance if they can avoid getting shrill and bitter (fat chance). This must be one of the rare occasions where the veep slot makes a difference. My opinion of McCain certainly went up. I may just fork over a few bucks.

Like many conservatives, I think I can confess that a thrill went up my leg listening to her speech today (could have been her hubby, though).

Comment by Robert — August 29, 2008 @ 7:50 pm - August 29, 2008

51. #48 – I would ask you to clarify your most offensive statement to date, but I don’t think even you know what you’re talking about.

Go cry a river somewhere.

Regards,