On links and hate comments

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:18 pm - August 30, 2008.
Filed under: Blogging,Civil Discourse,Mean-spirited leftists

Welcome Instapundit Readers!!*

When we get linked on conservative and libertarian blogs, I find no noticeable increase in hate comments (even as the number of comments (and new “commenters”) increases).

When we get linked on left-wing blogs, particularly left-wing gay blogs, there is significant such increase. (And an increase in my hate mail.)

*Will be investigating how that link impacts the comments.

1. It’s hard to deal with people who spend their lives looking for some reason, any reason, to be pissed off….I’ll never be cheerful again.

That’t it! Libs are dementors!

Comment by American Elephant — August 31, 2008 @ 2:00 am - August 31, 2008

2. keith,

buck up. sounds like this is a good place for you.

Comment by American Elephant — August 31, 2008 @ 2:01 am - August 31, 2008

3. I’m a lifelong republican, 5th generation in my family (I guess that makes me a hateful person)…I don’t support gay marriage, but I do support civil unions.

I’m religious, but not a christian.

I support a woman’s right to choose, or not to choose abortion (that’s between her and G-d or her conscience) though I oppose late term abortions on the premise that if the fetus can survive outside of the womb…then have it and give it up or adoption.

On the otherhand, I’m a big fan of TR of “speak softly and carry a big stick” fame…but don’t be afraid to use that stick when necessary.

I think that our educational system is sick and needs serious reforms, but I’m not certain what those reforms should be, so I’m open to suggestions on that score.

I think that there needs to be some major overhauls of how WashDC/Fed Gov’t is run/works…eliminate all earmarks would be a start in the right direction. Complete reporting of all sources of income for our elected representatives would be another…

Personally, I don’t care what you do behind your front door, or whom you do what with…as long as you don’t attempt to impose your choices on me, I’ll do the same for you…a great book I read once said, “Love your neighbor as yourself”.

My life is too short for me to spew out hateful remarks on blogs. I’m too busy, and work far too hard trying to life a good life and to teach my kids to do that same.

So…live long and prosper…adio, vado

Rich

Comment by Rich Vail — August 31, 2008 @ 3:00 am - August 31, 2008

4. i lurk here, but hardly post. hope you don’t take that personally.

i’m a player, but not a hater. i don’t hate players but hate getting played.

that’s how i roll, yo.

Comment by rt — August 31, 2008 @ 3:33 am - August 31, 2008

5. I noticed the same thing on my blog. If you challenge their orthodoxy in some way, you become a heretic. Lefties have replaced religion with politics. But it’s the same kind of zealotry.

In my case, I bash Global Warming hysteria a lot and it attracts people who take that as a sacred cow. And I just made hamburger out of their cow. So rather than refute my arguments, they attack me personally.

It doesn’t matter if you are a gay or black conservative. I’m a straight quasi-libertarian. What they care about is that you dared to contradict their beliefs. You threaten what they think is reality And like religious zealots, they feel they have to attack.

Comment by James Hudnall — August 31, 2008 @ 5:30 am - August 31, 2008

6. Not Gay. Not a Democrat. Not a Homophobe.

Hello from an Instapundit reader! Pleased to meet you.

** bookmarks **
    ————–

Same from me.

Comment by Richard Wood — August 31, 2008 @ 9:31 am - August 31, 2008

7. I wonder how many in the gay community actually understand the candidates’ positions on gay marriage? If poster Tim O. is an example, then I suspect that a sizable percentage are unaware that Obama, like Bill and Hillary, like Johns Kerry and Edwards, like Joe Biden is anti-gay marriage. He doesn’t believe in the need for a constitutional amendment but wants each individual state to decide its policy. McCain differs how? His position is exactly the same as Obama’s but recognizes that a constitutional amendment may need to be a last resort to counteract judges overriding the will of the people. Seems to me that would be the end-game even under Obama as president should judicial activism attempt to nullify the legislature.
    Both candidates are pro-civil union.
    Where is the difference?
    Also, Palin has done more for gay rights than all 3 of the candidates combined. Does the gay community know that?

Comment by livermoron — August 31, 2008 @ 12:22 pm - August 31, 2008

8. I have problems when posting comments at lefty sites – and I only visit the sane ones! The visitors are invariably more virtiolic than the authors. Sometimes the authors tsk-tsk those commenters but frequently not. It must be exhausting to try to put out fires in every thread.

NB, chalk me up as another conservative who yawns at the gay thing. I have a lesbian on my bowling team (heck, our house has an entire gay bowling league!) and the only thing I care about is that she has a 145 average. Well, that and she’s good company.

Comment by Jack Diederich — August 31, 2008 @ 4:05 pm - August 31, 2008

9. Livermoon: GOOD POINT!!!

On the other hand, I don’t know how many in the NON-Gay community know the difference either. After all, many people in 2004 said that they were voting for Bush instead of Kerry because of gay marriage . . . even though both Bush and Kerry had EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION ON THE ISSUE!

Put your money on the ignorance of the average American (straight OR gay) and you’ll rarely lose.

Comment by DesertDavey — August 31, 2008 @ 4:51 pm - August 31, 2008

10. On the top issue:

I must say that I spend WAY too much time surfing the blogs. And, to be honest, I see plenty of hate on all sides of every issue.

If you think the hate is bad on sites which question the gay agenda, just take a look at the hate left by anti-abortion folks on pro-choice websites. It makes all the left wing hate speech sound like nursery rhymes!!

Comment by DesertDavey — August 31, 2008 @ 4:54 pm - August 31, 2008

11. Julie the Jarhead (#8) writes: “I was born on St. Patrick’s Day. For some reason, everyone wants to get drunk on my birthday.”

My brother-in-law was born on December 31. He gets fireworks and parties!

She adds: “If anyone makes their way to Boston, you’ll know at least one gay conservative — me!”

As a free-market/individualist able-bodied straight white male click-over from Instapundit, I gather I’m expected to aim some hateful comment at Julie. Here goes …

How about our Sox? Do they have enough healthy bodies, home field advantage, and time to overtake the Rays, or will they at least hold on for the Wild Card?

Comment by Ryan from Tucson — August 31, 2008 @ 5:34 pm - August 31, 2008

12. Why don’t you do something to reign in the hate comments of your regular posters here?

Comment by Kevin — August 31, 2008 @ 9:42 pm - August 31, 2008

13. #61 – “Why don’t you do something to reign [sic] in the hate comments of your regular posters here?”

Pot, meet kettle.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 2, 2008 @ 12:59 am - September 2, 2008

14. PS: It’s “rein,” not “reign.” That’s what The SnObama wants to do for the next 4 years.

I thought he said 10 years. He wants to be president of all 57 states for the next ten years.

Comment by V the K — September 2, 2008 @ 7:51 am - September 2, 2008

15. […] I thanked him for linking my post on links and hate comments, I told him the comments I received to the post confirm my point-that there’s a noticeable […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » A Gay Republican Blogger at the GOP Convention — September 2, 2008 @ 5:34 pm - September 2, 2008

16. It’s really sad you have to get hate mail at all related to your sexuality. I certainly don’t think the right is totally blameless as far as being closed minded (particularly when it comes to sexual orientation) but man is it amazing how the left reacts to anyone in one of their self-proclaimed victims groups who doesn’t tow the party line. IMHO, taking a shot as someone’s sex, orientation, skin-color etc is just lame. To that end, I agree with the left’s rhetoric. Too bad many of the far lefties are so selective as to when it’s ok to say something ugly about race/sex/orientation etc.

Calling a gay man a F** is always a pathetic cheap shot and it’s never ok. But if straight people point that out to lefties that are being ugly, they immediately dismiss us and say we have no legitimate grounds to comment on the subject. The ironic thing is that you frequently hear the left blabbing about self-loathing with regard to Gay republicans or Black or female republicans. However if they can harbor that much vitriol to someone who is like them but has a differing political viewpoint – and if they think it’s ok to say really ugly stuff about such people, aren’t they really the ones who are self-loathing?

Anyway, even though it was a short post, like almost all that you write it was excellent. Keep up the great work! The people that write you hate mail would need to stand on a building to kiss your a55 and deep down, they know it.

Comment by Bill — September 3, 2008 @ 11:01 am - September 3, 2008