BREAKING NEWS–Log Cabin Endorses John McCain

Welcome Instapundit Readers!! For a gay Republican perspective on the GOP Convention, stay tuned to our blog!

Taking a quick break now that I’ve found wireless at St. Paul’s downtown University Club to report that that Log Cabin’s Big Tent Luncheon here, organization president Patrick Sammon announced that the group has endorsed John McCain for president of the United States.

Recall that Log Cabin made a big stink about not endorsing Bush four years ago.

I’ll have more in a bit and will offer some thoughts on the meaning of this endorsement.

UPDATE: Now that luncheon has concluded, I have finally have time to blog. This big news and not just because it shows that a group not always behind the GOP nominee is backing him this year. It’s also an interesting story for this blog. Indeed, our blog enjoys its prominence in large part because we were the first gay web-site to take issue with Log Cabin on its endorsement.

Indeed, I may not be blogging were it not for Bruce’s post on the issue. I e-mailed him praising him for saying something that I–and a lot of other gay Republicans–believed. We may not have approved of the president’s decision to back the Federal Marriage Amendment, but given his opponent’s wishy-washy record on national security issues, we thought the choice was clear and that Log Cabin should stand behind the president.

Today, as I rushed out to blog this news, I passed Chris Barron, Log Cabin’s political director four years ago, a man with whom Bruce and I often locked horns in the first months of this blog. I smiled, shook his hand, patted him on the back, noted the irony of being in the room with him as the group announced its endorsement and said, “I’m glad we’re on the same side this year.”

With a smile, he expressed his agreement.

Click below the jump to read excerpts of Patrick’s statement, a copy of which he handed to me in the room where we have internet access.

Those of us gathered here this week for the Republican National Convention are honored for this opportunity–an opportunity to participate in the political process, to share our stories with our fellow Republicans, and, to do everything we can to ENSURE John McCain BECOMES THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

On the most important issue that LGBT Americans faced in the last decade–the federal marriage amendment–Send. John McCain stood with us. Now we stand with him.

He is an inclusive Republican who is focusing the GOP on unifying our party around the core principles that bring our nation together. In recent years, too many Republicans have used divisive social issues in an effort to win elections. Sen. McCain is a different kind of Repubilcan.

He understands that we lost our majority in Congress in 2006 because we lose sight of core conservative issues and instead focused on divisive social issues.

. . . .

Our party is about to nominate a man who is going to put our party back on track. We are going to nominate a man who understands the crucial challenges our country faces . . . . I am so glad we have a nominee who is focused on the issues that unite us as Republicans–and the issues that are going to unite this country and bring the RIGHT change of change to our nation.

I am pleased to announce that Log Cabin’s national board voted last night to formally endorse John McCain for President of the United States and Governor Sarah Palin for Vice President of the United States.

1. Thank the Gods!! At last some sanity and just common good-sense at the from the LCR.

I’m eager to hear how both GayPatriotWest and the LCR have been treated by both the McCain campaign and the delegates. So far the platform’s been a bit of a disappointment…but since-when did the GOP ever follow it’s platform? I don’t expect strident G/L support from RNC, but some benign-neglect and “do no harm” could go a long ways….

It gets back to my retail vs wholesale theory. The Republicans care about and are personally welcoming to gay individuals (retail) while being cool or cold to the G/L community (wholesale); whereas the Dhimmicrats only care about the G/L community-issues (as a wholesale mass-ATM) while being cool or indifferent towards gay individuals (retail)…even intolerant to those who refuse to toe-the-line.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — September 2, 2008 @ 3:17 pm - September 2, 2008

2. You are preaching to the choir but let me just say AMEN!

jeb

Comment by jeb — September 2, 2008 @ 3:33 pm - September 2, 2008

3. Count me as part of the amen corner!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 2, 2008 @ 3:54 pm - September 2, 2008

4. Can I ask a dumb question? Where are the conservative Lesbians? There must be a few that are intrigued by Palin.

jeb

Comment by jeb — September 2, 2008 @ 3:57 pm - September 2, 2008

5. Glad to see that Log Cabin has grown some balls. Gay Americans have just as much right to be for McCain as do any other Americans — and they are not free citizens until they are free from the cancer of identity politics.

Good work!

Comment by Eric Scheie — September 2, 2008 @ 10:41 pm - September 2, 2008

6. As a 15 year member of Log Cabin and partner of a former LCR Board member, I agree with Eric. And for my friends on the Gay Left, all I can say is that we can all be sure that a McCain administration, at it’s worst, will not inflict the hate laws (DOMA & Don’t Ask) that our Democrat “friends” “had to pass” and we continue to live with.

Comment by Bobo in Texas — September 3, 2008 @ 12:08 am - September 3, 2008

7. I am not gay. But as a former Democrat, let me just say to Ted B. that his analogy is right on. The hallmark of the Republican Party is treating people as free individuals (at least as a core principle if not always perfectly in action), while the Dems use people solely as groups to be manipulated and herded around to push their agenda. Individuals vs. the collective is at the very heart of the difference between Republicans and Democrats. Those of us who travel the path from liberal to conservative generally come to this principle the hard way – getting clobbered over the head with it.

Comment by Peg C. — September 3, 2008 @ 1:32 am - September 3, 2008

8. [...] It is only news I guess when the Log Cabin Republicans don’t endorse the GOP candidate. When they do you only read about it in the blogosphere. [...]

Pingback by Commentary » Blog Archive » Flotsam and Jetsam — September 3, 2008 @ 9:33 am - September 3, 2008

9. Two reasons to be glad the Log Cabin Republicans didn’t endorse Bush:

1) Gay Patriot got its start.

2) They can effectively combat the McCain == Bush III “argument”.

Comment by Clint — September 3, 2008 @ 12:40 pm - September 3, 2008

10. Clint, on (1), thanks. On (2), well said!

Comment by GayPatriotWest — September 3, 2008 @ 12:43 pm - September 3, 2008

11. ” On the most important issue that LGBT Americans faced in the last decade–the federal marriage amendment–Send. John McCain stood with us.”

How does this square with the fact that John now supports Prop 8 in CA which wants to change the CA constitution in the same way as the FMA?

Comment by mac — September 3, 2008 @ 3:59 pm - September 3, 2008

12. The most important issue that faced me the past decade is the counter-offfensive against global jihad

Comment by Vince P — September 4, 2008 @ 4:08 am - September 4, 2008

13. [...] guest at Tuesday’s luncheon where organization President Patrick Sammon announced the endorsement remarked later how enthusiastically I applauded that announcement.  I replied that I strive to be [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Convention Retrospective of a gay Republican Blogger — September 6, 2008 @ 8:18 pm - September 6, 2008

14. About time – but I still don’t trust them ever since they endorsed Kerry in the middle of a war. Shudder!

Comment by Patrick Joubert Conlon — September 7, 2008 @ 8:27 pm - September 7, 2008

15. [...] the news and blog, I found that Yahoo! for about two hours as of this writing led with the story of Log Cabin’s endorsement, “Gay Republicans endorse [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » MSM notices gay Republicans supporting GOP — September 8, 2008 @ 3:07 am - September 8, 2008

16. [...] But, since John McCain wrapped up the Republican nomination, they, as loyal Republicans should, reached out to the campaign and worked to support the party’s nominee, voting earlier this month to endorse him. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Patrick Sammon: Republican — September 19, 2008 @ 8:19 pm - September 19, 2008