Like Reagan in 1984 . . .

. . . Sarah Palin is going after her opponent without using his name.

I like this speech. I acknowledge I’m an emotional guy, so perhaps I’m not the guy to go to for unbiased coverage.  At the good lines, I want to stand up and cheer rather than stay in my seat and blog.  Love the way she’s using humor to go after her opponents.  Reagan-esque

She seemed particularly solid on the energy portion.

There are just too many good lines in this speech.  As a writer, I particularly liked the one about that opponent having time to write two memoirs, but no major piece of legislation.

“Some who use change to promote their careers and those like John McCain who use their careers to promote change.”

If this were baseball, the ball would be up here.  Or further.  She’s hitting this out of the park.

UPDATE: MichaelnotMike writes that tonight Sarah Palin “showed how to field dress Democrats.”

UP-UPDATE: I had thought to do another post on the speech. After Governor Palin had finished, I was chatting with bloggers Patrick Ruffini, Patrick Hynes and Jon Henke, all of whose stuff I had read before, none of whom I had met before today. We all agreed how excellent was the speech, a thought echoed my John Hinderaker when I returned to his house where I am staying.

Once again how weird it is to actually meet these people whom I primarily know as pixels on the screen, many different from the people I imagined when I read their stuff, but all independent-thinking, interesting and intelligent individuals.

UP-UP-UPDATE: Reading blogs can be addictive especially on a night such as this. Was about to hit the hay, then followed a Corner link to read this:

Watching the tumultuous, ecstatic reaction in the hall, I was reminded of the famous words of the Admiral Yamamoto after Pearl Harbour: “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

I’m not the only one to compare her speaking style to that of the Gipper, but, well, the New York Times did take note of my observation. (H/t the younger PatriotSisterWest). 🙂

1. She slammed the Senate Majority Failure too.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 11:02 pm - September 3, 2008

2. There is only really one man in this election who has fought for you.

OMG That was awesome.

Comment by Vince P — September 3, 2008 @ 11:04 pm - September 3, 2008

3. I haven’t felt this way since Reagan. Boffo. How do you do that at 44?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:10 pm - September 3, 2008

4. Where do I send the money, where do I vote, poor poor Barry.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:13 pm - September 3, 2008

5. Bump predictions?
    Place your bets.

Will the liberals keep energizing the Republicans?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 11:15 pm - September 3, 2008

6. OMG!!!
    Sign up this trio for the SuperBowl!

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 11:17 pm - September 3, 2008

7. Can Barry dump Biden and try again at picking a VP?
    Wonder how the chicken chickens are feeling about a Republican ticket that has two sons serving in Iraq? What do Bidens sons do? Hedge fund employees I think. Hmm quite the comparison. Bottom line. The Republican ticket is full of accomplishments. Wanna name a few of the Obama accomplishments? hehe

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:20 pm - September 3, 2008

8. Talk about hot hockey players, damn. Levi’s the man.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:22 pm - September 3, 2008

9. Tonight, Sarah Palin showed how to field dress a Democrat.

Comment by MichaelnotMike — September 3, 2008 @ 11:29 pm - September 3, 2008

10. What’s it mean when a state passes?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 11:33 pm - September 3, 2008

11. #8. Agreed (and the prospective Second Gentleman ain’t bad at all).
    #9. Agreed.

/* Darn comment filter */

Comment by SoCalRobert — September 3, 2008 @ 11:36 pm - September 3, 2008

12. They come back to them to record their vote later, most times it is so the home state can put the nominee over the top.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:36 pm - September 3, 2008

13. The MSNBC commies are totally flumuxed!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:37 pm - September 3, 2008

14. They sound like their nominee….ummm, ahh, eh, hm, ummm, well….

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 3, 2008 @ 11:38 pm - September 3, 2008

15. “Tonight, Sarah Palin showed how to field dress a Democrat.”

MichaelnotMike, that was an awesome, awesome line, maybe the best line I’ve come across tonight from someone not named Rudy or Sarah.

Wow, is anyone gonna ask how Sarah Palin got vetted anymore? She just took all the enemies that have been railing against her the last few days, swept them up into a pile, and crushed them under her boot. It was a thing of beauty.

Comment by cme — September 3, 2008 @ 11:41 pm - September 3, 2008

16. I was in an angry rage all weekend because of how the evil left were out to destroy her.

I dont have to be angry anymore. This wonderful woman is way tougher than any of those bitches.

She’s absolutely great… I love her sass. Plus she knows her shit.

I’d love to see her debate Obama… uh uh uh uh uh

Obama and Biden look so … small, compared to them

Comment by Vince P — September 3, 2008 @ 11:44 pm - September 3, 2008

17. Best line of the evening (to me): “I didn’t need the expensive Alaska governor’s private jet once in office. I put it on eBay.”

She had me from that moment on, firmly in her corner.

Was that applause not deafening at the beginning? WHOA.

I’d love to see her field-dress Joe Biden. 😉

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 3, 2008 @ 11:50 pm - September 3, 2008

18. What’s that Ohio cheer?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 11:57 pm - September 3, 2008

19. Prior to Palin’s speech, I decided to assume the persona of a patronizingly superior know-it-all political commentator – and try watch her speech from that point of view – to see how the other side may view it. I couldn’t hold the snotty pose for long. She’s damned good. Wit, humor, grace, good grasp of issues – and a wicked left hook.

Good thing she explained the thing about lipstick. Her detractors will know where to check for missing body parts…..

Comment by Stosh2 — September 4, 2008 @ 12:00 am - September 4, 2008

20. Vince P’s right, they all look so small…the media, the Democrat ticket, the MSNBC commies…small small small. I love when Republicans go on the attack. It is one of my disappointments of Bush 43. He should defend himself more often. Fight back. Having respect for your office is one thing but, when crazies like Olbermann go on and disrespect you, stand up like a man. WOMEN of America, you have your champion. Stand up, kick some butt, follow Sarah, she will lead you!!!!!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 4, 2008 @ 12:01 am - September 4, 2008

21. #18 ha prolly some Ohio State University bull crap. Go Blue.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 4, 2008 @ 12:02 am - September 4, 2008

22. From the number of women delegates cheering, crying, waving and just plain ENJOYING themselves, all I can say is that there will be no gender gap in THIS presidential race!

PS – Anyone heard from Hillary lately? Where’s she been hiding? Why isn’t she helping defend Palin from attacks?

(Crickets)

I rest my case.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 4, 2008 @ 12:06 am - September 4, 2008

23. #21

If it ain’t GIG ‘EM AGGIES, I have no Idea what it is.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 4, 2008 @ 12:06 am - September 4, 2008

24. NOW we know why the Left is scared to death of her……!

Comment by Peg — September 4, 2008 @ 12:08 am - September 4, 2008

25. Reaganesque is exactly how I felt Sarah Palin delivered the speech….She will be a great Vice President and an excellent future President. I am very thrilled and she sure showed the clattering/chattering class that they are full of crap..she has guts, wit, smartts, talent and a sharp mind to go with humor and a sharp abilitiy to make a case for “Country First”. The morons on MSBC were indeed flummexed…..

I very much look forward to one day seeing Vice President Palin elected one day as the female Ronald Reagan President of the United States.

Plus, Palin appealed to the Reagan values and American values of small town America…..she will take it the argula loving moron that is the Democratic nominee for President and I predict she will be the reason McCain carries Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania…….she reminds me of the line about Ginger Rogers….she did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in heels and in a gown…she is woman, her roar…..she can kill the moose, clean it, cook, serve and she shall serve NObama on a plate…….and clean Biden’s clock in the VP debates…

Palin also showed an excellent knowledge of energy issues…which is the essence of our National Security.

and yeah, ok, she is smart, a great speaker, has Reagan grit and charm and has a hunky husband, hunky son and hunky soon to be son in law……and charming, real and sweet family…..damn that John McCain for not vetting…..those dumb asses, McCain proved he is worthy of the Presidency on this choice alone…..one smart, street fighter chooses another!!!

Viva Palin!! Viva McCain!!

Now, one thing I have to say is where are all the liberal women who said how wonderful it was for Biden to look after his boys every day while a Senator (the dumb asses in the MSM forgot to mention his sister was raising his children by living with them) but a woman can’t be a Chief Executive and a Mother…I mean where is NOW? where are the feminists? I guarantee if Saran Palin were the Democratic nominee for VP, there would be hell to pay for such comments.

I also heard a comment when Mike Murphy and Peggy Noonan were caught off microphone with Chuck Todd this morning on MSNBC and said what a disaster Sara Palin was….well so much for me ever reading or trusting in Peggy Noonan ever again or having any respect for Mike Murphy…..

I no longer have any respect (not that had much for it any way for the MSM)

I got a huge chuckle out of moron Chris Matthews being totally flummexed that he didn’t understand that Sara Palin wasn’t picked to go after Hillary Clinton voters….no you moron she was picked for her ability and that she as a hockey Mom is one of us….where real America lives and shares our values, she has a brain, isn’t a phoney, is smart, understands the issues that we as Americans face every day and has the balls and guts to stand up and do the right thing and doesn’t need a focus group to figure that out and has a “servant’s heart” and is a “servant leader” and can cut through the bull and get things done as she has done as Governor of Alaska and will do as our next Vice President and assuming McCain is only going for one term will be the President after McCain and make no mistake about that…..Governor and soon to be VP Palin will be President Palin and just in case the MSM doesn’t get it she will get millions of us in the GLBT community to vote for her…..we Gay men know talent when we see it and news flash….Sara Palin’s values are the values this Gay Man proudly embraces….and voting for McCain/Palin will be a vote I am most excited to cast in November! and Palin for President thereafter!

Comment by Rocket — September 4, 2008 @ 12:13 am - September 4, 2008

26. She’s trashy.

Comment by jimmy — September 4, 2008 @ 12:20 am - September 4, 2008

27. She’s trashy.

Nothing says trashy like Michelle “my baby’s daddy!” Obama. But then that’s the way liberals like ’em.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 4, 2008 @ 12:26 am - September 4, 2008

28. It’s a pitty Michelle knows who her “baby’s daddy” is, eh jimmy?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 4, 2008 @ 12:27 am - September 4, 2008

29. Just FYI, I’m seeing some definite trend toward McCain on InTrade. And, obviously, there’s a downward trend on the stupid InTrade contract for Gov. Palin’s withdrawal from the ticket.

Comment by cme — September 4, 2008 @ 12:38 am - September 4, 2008

30. Jimmy,

Drink your kool-aid and go to bed. You are sooooo tired!

Jeb

Comment by jeb — September 4, 2008 @ 12:43 am - September 4, 2008

31. Do you know how long it has taken to get a gas pipeline to go through CANADA ( a foreign country) to the lower 48?? DECADES. And Sarah Palen, an actual GOVERNOR, to the thing going!!! She is amazing, yo’all, and don’t any of you forget it. And did you see the expression on Todd Palin’s face, as Sarah made her speech? He is so PROUD of her!

I so hope McCain wins the election, and Sarah is the VP of the USA. What at team! (and I live in the Yukon Territory, part of CANADA, through which that gas pipeline will be built).

Also, if Todd was a member of the Alaska Independent Party, well, that is a reaction to the truly awful bureaucracy that rules Alaska from Washington. Just like the Yukon and the North West Territories.

Comment by Heather — September 4, 2008 @ 12:51 am - September 4, 2008

32. #

The MSNBC commies are totally flumuxed! They sound like their nominee….ummm, ahh, eh, hm, ummm, well….

AAAHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! that felt good

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 4, 2008 @ 12:59 am - September 4, 2008

33. I’m watching it again… She rules!

It’s the combination of vulnerability, stodginess, dirty-librarian hotness, and intelligence… she’s a fresh, fascinating mix.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 4, 2008 @ 1:20 am - September 4, 2008

34. “Nothing says trashy like Michelle “my baby’s daddy!” Obama. But then that’s the way liberals like ‘em.”

Oof! Racist much? If you really think the non-brainwashed by the right women of this country are going to flock to this anti-abortion, anti-sex education woman who voted to reduce spending for teen pregnancy programs just because she has a vagina, y’all gots another thing coming. Fat lot of good abstinence only education did Sarah Palin’s daughter!

Of course, I’ll never really understand why a gay person would vote for a person who would rather see them in a concentration camp, but hey. The world is a funny place!

Say I’m overreacting, but Sarah Palin DID make a joke about killing muslims without due process tonight. And every single person in that white, white crowd stood up and cheered. Scary lot.

Comment by Joe — September 4, 2008 @ 1:22 am - September 4, 2008

35. I love reading absolutely uncritical comments in support of politicians.* Shouldn’t we take a more thorough look at all candidates? It seems that every one of them lies, or at the very least, tells half-truths. E.g., Palin cites killing the “Bridge to No Where” as evidence of her commitment to reform, but there is evidence that she supported it and killed it only when Congress proved unwilling to foot the bill.**

It troubles me to see such unrequited support for a politician (as I see in the above comments). Please have real reasons for choosing who you vote for, rather than meaningless (or dishonest) political rhetoric. Humorous lines, good looks, the ability to read a tele-prompter and/or sound Reaganesque aren’t good reasons to like this woman. These things don’t keep America out of war or help the economy. These things simply aren’t the same as an honest assessment of available evidence.

* Sarcasm

** October 22, 2006, Anchorage Daily News (published responses to questionnaire returned by gubernatorial candidates). Question: “Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?” Palin responded: “Yes. I would like to see Alaska’s infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now — while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.”

Comment by Gay Rev. Matt, Esq. — September 4, 2008 @ 1:22 am - September 4, 2008

36. And, Joe is here to raise the “sheer stupidity” factor.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 4, 2008 @ 1:45 am - September 4, 2008

37. I’m not ready to say it was like Reagan. No one is like Reagan except Reagan. But Palin has managed to woo me over – at least for this election.

Comment by KevinQC — September 4, 2008 @ 1:52 am - September 4, 2008

38. More like Thatcher in 1979. Thanks to Senator McCain, Americans now have our own Margaret Thatcher!

Comment by pbsc — September 4, 2008 @ 2:19 am - September 4, 2008

39. Let’s see – I have two choices: 1) Bring Osama bin Laden back to the U.S. and let Obama’s AG read him his rights, or 2) Let him take one between the eyes and rot in that deep dark cave he’s hiding in…

I choose option 2!

Comment by KevinQC — September 4, 2008 @ 2:23 am - September 4, 2008

40. I have to say, starting with his ads mocking Obama, McCain is running a surprisingly effective campaign.

I almost get excited, but then I remembered, I live in Illinois.. I’m disinfranchised.

Comment by Vince P — September 4, 2008 @ 2:34 am - September 4, 2008

41. Hi Kevinqc

Comment by Vince P — September 4, 2008 @ 2:34 am - September 4, 2008

42. Howdy Vince P

Comment by KevinQC — September 4, 2008 @ 2:49 am - September 4, 2008

43. I concur 100%. We deserve Palin, she delivered a classic speech and held such poise and comfort at the microphone. She’s not afraid of much and I cannot wait for the debates with Biden to begin!

Comment by Steve Flesher — September 4, 2008 @ 2:51 am - September 4, 2008

44. If you really think the non-brainwashed by the right women of this country are going to flock to this anti-abortion, anti-sex education woman who voted to reduce spending for teen pregnancy programs just because she has a vagina, y’all gots another thing coming.

Oh, we don’t think that, Joe; we know the Democrat women who liberal men like yourself have brainwashed into sociopathic killers who can murder the baby they’re carrying because it’s inconvenient with their lifestyle and will throw out every other moral principle to rationalize their “right” to abortion are never going to like Palin.

But when it comes to our moms, our female coworkers, our women friends, and the other people with which we coexist, Palin resonates with them because she is one of them. She shows them that they don’t have to abort babies or denigrate them as “parasites” to be women. She shows them that they don’t have to give up their religious beliefs to be female. She shows them that they don’t have to give up their careers because men say they can’t be “good mothers” if they don’t. She shows them that their kids don’t have to be perfect and that you can and should love and support them even when they screw up. She shows them that they don’t have to take a back seat to an unqualified black male simply because they’re neither black or male.

In short, she broke the glass cage you’ve been trying to keep women in ever since your party first enslaved them — and that scares Democrat males like you shitless.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 4, 2008 @ 2:55 am - September 4, 2008

45. Ben Stein says she needs a baby sitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OevzQ9XGd7Q

Now, that’s funny.

Comment by jimmy — September 4, 2008 @ 3:12 am - September 4, 2008

46. She’s Dolly Parton + Maggie Thatcher.

Comment by Jeremayakovka — September 4, 2008 @ 3:19 am - September 4, 2008

47. What’s wrong with this country? Nothin according to Palin. Nothin except the those cocktail drinkin washington elites, the liberal press and them damn hollywood types. Yea this is all about change. America the only country in the world where u can be president (Bush) or or VP (Palin) by reading bumber stickers out loud.

Comment by chas wagner — September 4, 2008 @ 3:28 am - September 4, 2008

48. America the only country in the world where u can be president (Bush) or or VP (Palin) by reading bumber stickers out loud.

Don’t you love it when people criticize Bush’s spelling, grammar, and sentence construction in a statement riddled with errors of the same?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 4, 2008 @ 3:33 am - September 4, 2008

49. I love this woman!!!

We need McCain to win this November. Please get out there all of you and spread to your friends and family, the message of hope that is: McCain-Palin 08!!!

I also LOVED Rudy Giuliani’s speach!!! He was my first choice for president, but I am 100% behind McCain.

Comment by Hotrod505 — September 4, 2008 @ 4:01 am - September 4, 2008

50. Hi,

I’ve posted a very few comments on your site in the past, so I’m sure you don’t remember me.

I am a 57yo Vietnam Vet, gay, and lost my brother, a Captain in the FDNY on 9/11. I was a conservative even before then, and more so afterwards.

I live in California these days(going on 20 year) , in the SF Bay Area, certainly not an area favorable to a conservative, never mind a gay conservative.

I watched the RNC speeches tonight, and have a few comments to share with you, and if you allow, with your visitors.

Rudy, who was my first choice for President, and for whom I hold probably a life long reverence, gave the best speech I’ve ever heard him give. His jesty humor was more effective in envicerating Barrack Obama than any direct attack I’ve ever seen. He is a force that must stay on the American scene. I hope that John McCain will consider him for Attorney General if, and I am now sure, whe he wins the election.

Sarah Palin was an awakening. I would, simply said, on the guts it took to make tonight’s speech, trust her with my life and that of my family.

She has the guts and the resolve to present her entire family, her daughter and her fiance, without shame to the world. Present them with pride and love and courage. As a gay man, I would want that woman to be my mother. I believe that if her son had been outed as a gay man (and please, no suggestion that I have any clue about that), she would have presented him and his partner with as much pride as she did her daughter and soon to be son-in-law. Of this, I have no doubt. Alaska may be conservative, but the people of Alaska, and some of us in California, are honest, and we respect what people do, how they honor their personal beliefs. Sarah Palin did exactly what I would have expected her to do, she chose to support her daughter and protect a new life.

I’m not sure if I’m expressing myself correctly, but I’ve known many so-called Evangelicals, and my experience has been consistent. They have treated me, as a neighbor and member of their community with dignity and respect. I can’t say the same about the the MSM and the “diversity” advocates in San Francisco who have trashed my car more than once for having a “Support the Troops” ribbon magnet on my car.

I am thrilled with the idea of Sarah Palin being Vice President, and if the events should demand it, her becoming President. I have a greater belief in her commitment to decency to protect my rights as a gay man to live in dignity, than I do in Barrack’s pandering. If he supports gay marriage, then why doesn’t he have the courage to say so, rather than letting his surrogates hint that he really doesn’t mean what he says. If he really doesn’t mean what he says about gay marriage, then why not be a man and stand up for it?

And thanks for doing a great job expressing the views of gay conservatives, I’ve got a lot of friends who read you every day.

John in Dublin California

Comment by John in Dubln California — September 4, 2008 @ 4:33 am - September 4, 2008

51. #21 I thought the battle cry of Michigan was “Please mommy please, bring John Cooper back to the ‘Shoe!”
    😉

jimmy, Joe, sorry to see you so scared. Pity you’ve nothing of content to offer.

Joe, concentration camps have come from one place in history, whether it be the Gulags of the Soviets, the concentration camps of the German National Socialist Party, the camps in Cuba, or our own Internment camps. Hint. It’s not the right.

Comment by The Livewire — September 4, 2008 @ 6:59 am - September 4, 2008

52. The media are seething about being called “elitist.” Katie Couric was heard to say, “I’m not an elitist! My herbalist says so and my butler agrees.”

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 7:13 am - September 4, 2008

53. who voted to reduce spending for teen pregnancy programs

I see the flat-out lies in the talking points are going down pat. She didn’t “reduce spending for teen pregnancy programs”–they asked the state for $10M they didn’t get the year before, the legislature said they could have $5M, she used her line-item veto to give ’em $3.9M. So, in reality, the “teen pregnancy program” got $3.9M more than the year before. If you really believe that’s a “cut”, let me tell you about this great beachfront real estate in Missourah…

*grin* Speech was great. I particularly liked the part where she pointed out that she and McCain don’t trash average people behind their backs to impress rich people in San Francisco.

Comment by HeatherRadish — September 4, 2008 @ 7:47 am - September 4, 2008

54. I wonder when they’re going to do the next broadcast of “From inside Katie Couric’s Colon”

Comment by Vince P — September 4, 2008 @ 8:05 am - September 4, 2008

55. The Obama Campaign Whimpers about the ‘Community Organizer’ Jabs

Attacking a 17 year old girl is “fair game,’ but attacking a fake job is beyond the pale.

Also, Harry Reid was so rattled that he sent out a spokesman to tell the media that he “wasn’t afraid to fight.” Yeah, it takes so much courage to send out a stooge to tell the media you’re not afraid to fight.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 8:12 am - September 4, 2008

56. Bring it on Harry !

Cmon.. tell us how oil is making us sick… the world sick.

Tell the American people we’ll pay $6/gal for gas because you think oil is in the air.

God these people are so freakin’ stupid.. they’re holding this country hostage.

Comment by Vince P — September 4, 2008 @ 8:39 am - September 4, 2008

57. My favorite was this morning with whining from Jay Carney of Time on “Morning Joe” saying well she is going to have to talk to me (then said the media) and then was shocked and appalled to learn from a McCain spokesperson sitting right next to him..guess what she doesn’t have to talk to you..Governor Palin will speak directly to the American people…..and he got flummexed and didn’t know what to say….

I laugh at Joe Scarborough who was so nasty about Governor Palin’s alleged lack of abilities…suddenly going all ooh and ahhhs about her speech..

the hypocrites of Marxist Socialist NoBama Broadcsast Network…oh, um, MSNBC, never cease to amaze me.

Comment by Rocket — September 4, 2008 @ 10:01 am - September 4, 2008

58. Yeah, the elite media hate it when a conservative politician goes directly to the people instead of having the “deciders” filter it for them.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 10:03 am - September 4, 2008

59. The elite media can’t stand it when a conservative goes right to the people. It denies them the opportunity to spin and smear.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 10:04 am - September 4, 2008

60. First off you got to give jimmy credit, most of the other leftists are still hiding under their beds. Her speech was extraordinary and did you know for part of it the teleprompter broke? Probably a leftist tech. But she plowed thru!! Imagine if the messiah’s teleprompter broke…..umm ahh ann oh um ehh ahh ann hehe.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 4, 2008 @ 10:44 am - September 4, 2008

61. There’s word coming out now that big parts of the speech were given without a Teleprompter. The Teleprompter got so badly out-of-sync because of the applause that she no longer had the words in front of her. She did much of it by memory.

We all now what Uh-bama sounds like off Teleprompter.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 11:58 am - September 4, 2008

62. […] Michaelnotmike says Earlier, she may have shown how to field dress a moose. Tonight, she showed how to field dress Democrats. […]

Pingback by Right Wing Nation » Wow. Just Wow. — September 4, 2008 @ 12:12 pm - September 4, 2008

63. The media are seething about being called “elitist.” Katie Couric was heard to say, “I’m not an elitist! My herbalist says so and my butler agrees.”

Now, that was funny!

I don’t know how you did it. I’ve been pulling for her for three months. I fully expected her to be great. But I was blown out of my seat. The only way I could quote her was to pause the TV. I couldn’t look away from her.

The campaign needs to send her out across America to speak, speak, speak, speak, because that woman is going to win us the election if she does. Electrifying. And she’s going to eat Biden for lunch in a debate.

As for Hillary, she will never say it, but I suspect that she may have had a tear or two in her eyes last night. I saw that many women did.

Comment by rightwingprof — September 4, 2008 @ 12:31 pm - September 4, 2008

64. I always dreamed of when a woman like Sarah Palin would keep me up late into the night. *sigh*

The Cranky Old Guy/Palin 2008!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — September 4, 2008 @ 1:06 pm - September 4, 2008

65. Many commentators talk about the women’s angle of Palin’s candidacy:

“Sarah Palin from Wasilla is a lot closer to the way many women today see themselves than the standard feminist model.”

In my opinion, she is a lot closer to the way many men see themselves
    today, as well. We neither fit nor accept the stereotypical box the permanent political classes and their media hangers on try to force us into.

I was one of many citizens who was not excited about this election at all until she came along. Prior to Palin, the choice was one between the lesser of two weevils.

Now, there is some hope.

Comment by Stosh2 — September 4, 2008 @ 1:16 pm - September 4, 2008

66. Sarcastic, bitter, same old attacks, and full of anger.
    No wonder you guys like her! (all indications are focus groups found it to fall flat)

Now, I look forward to her answer questions about lying about troopergate!
    Of course, in the deranged rightie mindset, asking questions is “smearing.”
    (Just like asking questions about Iraq was anti-american)

You guys are classic!

Comment by gillie — September 4, 2008 @ 1:21 pm - September 4, 2008

67. Sarcastic, bitter, same old attacks, and full of anger.

He says before launching a bitter, angry, tired attack.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 1:26 pm - September 4, 2008

68. V the K….wrong words and phrases to describe gillie…try, “whining”. I think that one word covers it…..for the leftist who still can’t believe that Palin can actually speak with down right sincerity, have a brain, actually say something of value, has down right decent American, knows what “values” are, views her pregnant daughter with love in knowing she will give birth to a child (rather then view a child as punishing a daughter) and can kill a moose, cook it serve, give ’em hell (or as Harry Truman said I speak the truth and they think its hell) and is one of us….

why she can’t possibly be all that the morons on the left are saying….or as Chris Matthews couldn’t get it in his moronic brain (she won’t appeal to Hillary Clinton voters….no duh, she will appeal to all voters throughout America)

Nobama can’t give a speech unless the teleprompter is functioning….Palin can give a speech without one and say something…..and has brains to back it up….and you don’t need a Main Stream Media get a tingle up the leg moron to know that.

Palin will get McCain elected…he knows that and America will be a place where Country comes first…..McCain got the first and most important decision of his Presidential campaign correct…..and honestly, Palin on her own would make a Thatcherite/Reagan like President….and could easily be on the top of the ticket and I bet if we all admit it wish she were…..and one day I pray and hope after McCain is President and finishes his term he passes the torch after one term to Palin and the country elects Palin as President of the United States.

Comment by Rocket — September 4, 2008 @ 1:54 pm - September 4, 2008

69. Say I’m overreacting, but Sarah Palin DID make a joke about killing muslims without due process tonight.

Yet any of those Muslims will stone your @ss without due process in a heartbeat. But you would rather defend them then your freedom to be who you are in this country. Pathetic.

Comment by OutliciousTV — September 4, 2008 @ 2:10 pm - September 4, 2008

70. Sarah Palin [sigh] made a joke about killing muslim extremists without due process.

2,000 people in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington, DC were killed on September 11th without due process. And some of them were decent, hard-working Muslims.

The Cranky Old Guy/Palin 2008!

“We don’t need no stinkin’ teleprompters.”

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — September 4, 2008 @ 2:36 pm - September 4, 2008

71. If there are Muslims on the battlefield shooting at American soldiers, or Muslim terrorists fixing to blow up American civilians, due process is the last thing we should worry about.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 3:08 pm - September 4, 2008

72. According to preliminary Neilsen numbers, 37 Million people watched Palin’s speech. That’s almost as many as watched the Obamassiah’s speech (38 million).

37 million people watched a vice presidential acceptance speech.

That tingle Chris Matthews felt this time was from wetting himself.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 3:25 pm - September 4, 2008

73. I’m reminded of Clintons’ response to questions….”not one attack fed a hungry child”…….duhhh same old liberal playbook. When after O’Reilly Obama was asked what a community organizer was….he mumbled,
    “yaoh, I was helping people in the community umm get things done, yaoh I was appreciated because I cared about their lives.” He did that for 3 years. The other parts of his resume, his accomplishments he bothered to mention, were 2. he was a lawyer 3. he was a member of the Illinois state legislature (where he got nothing done) 4. he has run this umm ah eh Presidential campaign. (btw with 300 foreign policy advisors) hehe

BREAKING NEWS there were twice as many deaths in Chicago this summer as American deaths in Iraq. Let’s see, Democrat Governor. Democrat Mayor. Democrat Legislature. Time for a surge to help the people of Illinois. Having said that, I’d also like to praise Republican Governor of LA who directed superior hurricane preperations there. Similar to Republican Governors J Bush and Crist in the state of FLA who have done so magnificently well when faced with hurricanes. Now that Democrat Governor Blanca is gone LA is far better off.
    Also Democrat Mayor of Detroit faces justice. Oh the rotten corruption.
    Change, time for a change. Yes we can.

Another Democrat surrenders their law license. But this one is going to the big house. How come only the African American crooks from the Democrat party have to serve jail time?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 4, 2008 @ 4:21 pm - September 4, 2008

74. Just watch Rudy’s talk again. Man, when he’s right, he’s right. As a State legislator, Obama couldn’t make up his mind and just voted ‘present’… 130 times. It was TOO DIFFICULT. And this is the man that Democrats want making continuous decisions, every day, on which our nation’s survival depends?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 4, 2008 @ 4:47 pm - September 4, 2008

75. I loved Huckabee’s line that Palin got more votes as Mayor then Biden got for President..

I loved the fact that that line was wrong, unless of course every single voter in Wasilla voted 9 times! But don’t let facts stop you. Palin didn’t when she claimed to have made efforts to curb government spending despite requesting more federal funds (ie pork projects) than any other state in the nation, including the Bridge to Nowhere which, despite the fact that she lied through her teeth about it from the podium, she was one of the most prominent and vocal proponents of prior to it being ridiculed on the national stage at which point she reversed her position to better fit with public opinion.

I think my favorite line what where she claimed that the 100s of thousands of Americans who devote their time, free of charge, to making their communities better places for everyone don’t really have any responsibilities.

Comment by dolphin — September 4, 2008 @ 4:56 pm - September 4, 2008

76. #70 the point dolphin, is that I didn’t know that as a lawyer when I “organize” my buds to help me clean out the local stream of debris….”community organizing”, that I was now qualified to be President. The only difference between what I just described and BHO is he has been in a 12 month quest, campaign, for the Presidency. Seems like the Dems will make excuses for old bald grey haired white guys but won’t support a young experienced executive female movin on up. Sad and small.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 4, 2008 @ 5:23 pm - September 4, 2008

77. Sarah Palin’s point is completely valid. No one expects a community organizer to accomplish anything. No one holds a community organizer accountable for failing to accomplish anything. Maybe this is why Barack Obama has never accomplished anything. Why he’s written two books about himself but never authored a single piece of legislation.

A mayor on the other hand has to answer to her constituents every day. She has to make sure the roads are plowed, city services are functioning, and citizens are heard. It is an order of magnitude greater in responsibility than handing out petitions or whatever the hell a community organizer does.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 6:18 pm - September 4, 2008

78. There is a “community organizers fight back” type of website. I forget the URL, but you can probably google it. It explains what commie-orgs do. You know what a commie-org does? He or she is basically a low-paid therapist at large. He or she listens to people’s problems and may help them find the welfare office, Social Security office or unemployment office, and fill out the forms. I’m sure there are some good ones who have helped people. But no, sorry, it doesn’t have the kind of hard accountabilities that an elected official (Mayor) does and does not qualify Obama to be President.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 4, 2008 @ 7:00 pm - September 4, 2008

79. He or she listens to people’s problems and may help them find the welfare office, Social Security office or unemployment office, and fill out the forms.

So, Obama’s idea of improving people’s lives is getting them on welfare? That’s exactly the opposite of what I want a president to do.

Comment by V the K — September 4, 2008 @ 7:12 pm - September 4, 2008

80. #71-74: Guys, I think you sunk the dolphin. 😉

Personally, I love mahi-mahi…

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 4, 2008 @ 9:07 pm - September 4, 2008

81. I watched her speech and she’s clearly a good speaker, yet, like Republicans can do, she offered nothing substantial. Wanna make jabs at your opponent? I’m fine with that – just have something to back it up. The republicans offer up a lot of hoopla and no substance. They talk a good talk but what change do they plan to offer the country? Funny thing is, they can’t seem to define what needs change and why it needs to be changed (thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow republican). I really enjoy how quickly the Republicans have latched on to the term “executive experience”. By this term they are using about supporting Sarah Palin and as a way to denigrate the public service of Biden and Obama. Funny thing is, by that reasoning, then McCain too has no executive experience either and is also unqualified to be president. (and McCain just used it himself too…bloody hysterical)

Watching McCain talking now: 2nd convention in a row where protestors have gotten in. If these people can’t keep their own convention secure, then how the bloody heck can we expect them to keep the country safe?

Comment by Kevin — September 4, 2008 @ 10:27 pm - September 4, 2008

82. Peter, what on earth would make you think they “sunk” me. I’m not one usually to even bother to comment on self-hater sites in the first place so the fact that I was sitting repetitively refreshing the page just waiting to respond to any response hardly indicates that I was “sunk.” Seriously, Some of us have jobs and lives and can’t sit on a nutty website for hours waiting to answer every response.

The main point of my post was that Huckabee and Palin both LIED during their speeches. None of the comments posted after that have any bothered to dispute that fact (probably because it’s indisputable). What they HAVE chosen to do is continue to push the line that community organizers don’t do anything. I’m thrilled to see it. I like to see the GOP attack people for going out of their way to make things better for those around them, it shows their own hypocrisy (party of personal responsibility my ass). They’re right that community organizers don’t HAVE to be community organizers. Nobody can force someone to volunteer (that’d be called slavery), but the fact that community organizers do their work out of the goodness of their hearts is something that is generally praised, but the Republicans have decided that taking personal responsibility and bettering your surroundings is instead worthy of scorn.

They are also right that being a community organizer alone doesn’t qualify one to be president. Neither does finishing a journalism degree which is what Palin was doing during the time Obama was serving his community. The point is both of them have gone on to do more than that with their lives. Of course those too blinded by rabid partisanship can’t acknowledge that.

Lastly, just to be clear since I’ve been accused in #71 of being sexist, the only sexist ones here are the ones crying sexism where none exists thereby encouraging REAL sexism to thrive. I won’t vote for Palin because she’s such a right wing extremist that she makes Bush look moderate; because she is so dreadfully anti-gay that she would be at home in Fred Phelps church; because she has already been repeatedly caught in lies; because she is such a theocrat that she has actually said her job as Governor is to “implement God’s will;” because she supports destroying the environment to help line her pockets; and the list goes on. NONE of the reasons I won’t vote for her have anything at all to do with whether she has a penis or a vagina.

NOW you can say they’ve sunk me because I won’t be back to respond. It was only a chance following of a trackback that led to to this place anyways. I’ve long gotten over the need to engage in mindless partisan bickering. I know what I believe and I will vote to fulfill those beliefs. You know what you believe (which apparently includes the belief that gay people aren’t actually human beings), and you will vote to fulfill those beliefs. And fortunately in this nation, we both have the right to do that.

Comment by dolphin — September 4, 2008 @ 11:58 pm - September 4, 2008

83. Actually, it has everything to do with sexism, dolphin, because you fully endorse Barack Obama saying that he is “go(ing) out and do(ing) the Lord’s work”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 5, 2008 @ 12:16 am - September 5, 2008

84. And every single person in that white, white crowd stood up and cheered.

Guess who didn’t watch the convention. One example, who knew Cowboy Troy or Texas Railroad Commissioner Michael Williams were white?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 5, 2008 @ 2:29 am - September 5, 2008

85. So, flipper is complaining about lies? How about these:

– The lie that Palin was a Buchananite “Nazi sympathizer” according to Florida Rep. Robert Wexler.
    – The lie that she cut funding for pregnant teens
    – The lie that she was a member of the Alaska Independence Party
    – And the mega-whoppet lie that Trig Palin — her special-needs baby — was really her daughter’s.

Compared to those vicious lies, Huckabee’s statement was just a little hyperbolic license. And I don’t like Huckabee anyway. As for the bridge, she changed her mind and ended up opposing an expensive, unnecessary government program. That’s the kind of lie or flip I wish more politicians would make.

Comment by V the K — September 5, 2008 @ 6:28 am - September 5, 2008

86. The people who spent all last weekend claiming Trig Palin was not Sarah Palin’s son are in no position to lecture anyone about honesty. Add to that the lies about cutting the budget for teen pregnancies, the lie that she belonged to the Alaska Independence Party, and the lie that she was a supporter of Pat Buchanan… and the left has squandered any credibility it had in criticizing Palin.

Comment by V the K — September 5, 2008 @ 8:59 am - September 5, 2008

87. Flipper might want to stop arguing the mote in someone else’s eye, and pat attention to the beam in his own. Like, for example, Joe Biden slandering the other driver in the accident that killed his wife.

Comment by V the K — September 5, 2008 @ 9:03 am - September 5, 2008

88. And as far as Kevvie goes in terms of his diatribe in #76, let me assure you that the reason why Code Pinkos got into the arena is probably the same way Al-Qaeda got into Iraq – by means of subversion and using the media.

You see, dear demented Kevvie, the news blogs showed a Code Pinko hag who bragged that she got in using “media credentials.” Another swiped an alternate delegate’s credentials and waltzed on in.

So now you have to ask yourself. Whose side is the media on?

And do they have more in common with Al-Qaeda and Code Pinkos than they do with real Americans?

I dare you to prove me wrong.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 5, 2008 @ 6:55 pm - September 5, 2008

89. #81 – Flipper is being too much of a self-hating American to want to back up his mouth with any facts. Like for instance:

Sarah Palin galvanizes conservatives behind the McCain ticket.
    She allows McCain to go after the disenfranchised Hillary voters.
    She brings the experience issue to the forefront without even having to talk about it.
    She brings the energy independence issue to the forefront…and then talks about more cogently than anyone else.
    She puts the female vote firmly in the toss-up category.
    She appeals to Reagan Democrats in numerous swing states.
    She steals the “change” issue from the Dhimmicrats by doubling McCain’s maverick/outsider credentials.
    She puts the VP debate on the map, thus putting Joe Bidet in the spotlight.
    She exposes liberal media bias just by being a conservative woman.
    She exposes liberals as the selfish, ideological hacks that they are who put personal gain and ideological leftism ahead of country.

Need I go on?

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 5, 2008 @ 6:57 pm - September 5, 2008

90. […] On the whole, a good performance, but nowhere near that she delivered two weeks ago in St. Paul. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Thoughts on Sean Hannity’s Interview with Sarah Palin — September 19, 2008 @ 2:18 am - September 19, 2008

91. […] On the whole, a good performance, but nowhere near that she delivered two weeks ago in St. Paul. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Sean Hannity: No Easier with Sarah Palin than Dan Rather was with the Clintons — September 19, 2008 @ 2:27 am - September 19, 2008

92. I would love to know if what Hilary is thinking as she watches this unfold

Comment by Lets hope the election is this close, what happens if its a tie? — October 3, 2008 @ 12:52 pm - October 3, 2008

93. […] Convention when she accepted our party’s nomination.  As soon as she rose to the podium, she commanded our attention; she captivated us.   More than that, she inspired us.  We all left the convention, […]

Pingback by GayPatriot — July 9, 2009 @ 4:12 am - July 9, 2009

94. […] Yeah, he gives a good speech (from time to time) and can captivate an audience, but he can’t author legislation.  (Sounds like something a wise woman said at the GOP Convention last summer.) […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Obama, a fumbling partisan with an aura — July 31, 2009 @ 5:33 am - July 31, 2009

95. […] At least since the 2008 Republican National Convention, where I had the good fortune to be present, when the then-Governor of Alaska, our party’s nominee for Vice President gave a stem-winder of a speech, I have compared that good woman to the Gipper. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Palin Draws Crowds, Doesn’t Burnish Governing Credentials — April 10, 2010 @ 4:02 pm - April 10, 2010