On Jim Kolbe & John McCain

There were so many good things about the Log Cabin “Big Tent” luncheon yesterday.  The food was great.  I ran into a number of old friends, acquaintances and colleagues.  And we got to hear from my friend and former Congressman Jim Kolbe.

Unlike some politicians, Jim knows not to go on overlong when addressing a crowd.  He gave a great short speech, focusing on his relationship with his state’s senior Senator, our party’s presumptive presidential nominee.

He recalled than when he ran for election in 1984, John McCain came down into his district to campaign for him.

Twelve years later, when Jim got word that the Advocate would run an article reporting that he was gay, he drew McCain aside at a meeting of the Arizona congressional delegation.  Seems that good man knew what his friend wanted to discuss.

“Jim,” he said, “it doesn’t make any difference, you’re a great legislator, you’re going to be a great legislator tomorrow.  You’re my friend, you’re going to be my friend tomorrow.”

Jim wouldn’t forget those words, they made it “easier for him” to deal with the repercussions of the article.

“McCain may not be perfect on our issues, but there’s ‘not one iota’ of negative feeling because of my sexual orientation.”

Confirms my impression of our party’s nominee as a good man.

1. I’d rather have that than some douchebags falling all over themselves to get my cash and vote and then giving us the finger and anti-gay legislation once they get into office.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 6:15 pm - September 3, 2008

2. Democ-rats and liberals see people as special interest groups. Republicans and conservatives see people as individuals.

The Old Guy/Palin 2008!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — September 3, 2008 @ 6:22 pm - September 3, 2008

3. Bravo Julie, you really distilled the difference down to the essence. And I love that you distinguish between liberals and Democrats and conservatives and Republicans. I’m a proud conservative, but definitely don’t think I’m a Republican.

Comment by Hunter — September 3, 2008 @ 7:08 pm - September 3, 2008

4. I trust McCain a lot more than someone who grew up in the Middle East like Barry. Just because I’m gay doesn’t mean that I have to put my sexual behavior as my top priority. I’m so sick of liberal activists who want to literally shove their lifestyle down the throats of average Americans. Get a clue you freaks. We need to respect people of faith who disagree with our lifestyle choice. I’m much more concerned about protecting our nation from Islamoterrorists. If Sadaam’s old cronies are allowed to follow our troops home, the least of your worries will be which cock to suck in the backroom of some sleazy gay club.

Comment by Trent — September 3, 2008 @ 7:29 pm - September 3, 2008

5. #2 – Julie you hit the nail on the head.

Conservatives like you for WHO you are.
    Libtards like you for WHAT you are.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 3, 2008 @ 7:56 pm - September 3, 2008

6. Absolutely, Julie and Peter.

That’s why the first step in any Democrat smear is to dehumanize the person and strip them of their group identity. Democrats are arguing that Palin isn’t a “real woman” because she supports life and sexual responsibility over abortion and promiscuity, which is exactly the opposite of what Democrats believe being a woman requires you to do. Gay Democrats are arguing that gay Republicans are either “self-loathing” or “not really gay” because they do not automatically support Democrats, which is the requirement for you to qualify as “gay”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 3, 2008 @ 8:17 pm - September 3, 2008

7. And to all the libtrolls out there – if the GOP is so rabidly anti-gay and wants to destroy us all…how come Jim Kolbe isn’t in a concentration camp with a pink triangle stitched on his prison uniform?

(Crickets)

The only political party that wants to destroy innocent people is the DNC. We’re talking from in the womb, barely outside the womb, all the way up to 17-year-old girls.

And of course, the MSM is there to willingly cheer them on and advance their agenda.

Frankly, if I ever saw a so-called “journalist” in my path, I’d treat him or her like the cockroach they are. Literally.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — September 4, 2008 @ 2:02 pm - September 4, 2008

8. I dont’ get it, you’re saying a Republican accepted and supported a colleague after they were found out to be gay? Why, that’s crazy talk … it doesn’t fit the liberal Contract of Divisiveness at all!

Comment by DoorHold — September 8, 2008 @ 12:03 pm - September 8, 2008

9. [...] i was in St. Paul, I heard former Congressman Jim Kolbe recount how John McCain reacted when the Arizona Senator learned his House colleague was g…: It doesn’t make any difference, you’re a great legislator, you’re going to be a [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays — September 14, 2008 @ 6:00 pm - September 14, 2008

10. [...] i was in St. Paul, I heard former Congressman Jim Kolbe recount how John McCain reacted when the Arizona Senator learned his House colleague was g…: It doesn’t make any difference, you’re a great legislator, you’re going to be a great [...]

Pingback by McCain Runs Dirtiest Campaign (What am I missing here?) « Zipline Conservative — September 15, 2008 @ 1:22 pm - September 15, 2008

11. [...] by him for so long. In also doubt that McCain would have taken such a public stand in support of former Congressman Jim Kolbe or Neil Giuliano, the former mayor of Tempe, Arizona, who currently heads [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » On The “Outing” of Mark Buse — September 23, 2008 @ 9:00 pm - September 23, 2008