Why Log Cabin McCain Endorsement is HUGE

Driving into St. Paul this morning, I got a call from a Washington Blade reporter who asked about my reception at the convention and my read of the Log Cabin endorsement.

This endorsement also shows that gay Republicans are united behind our party’s nominee. Indeed, in my experience both as a leader in Log Cabin and a gay Republican blogger, I have observed two basic types of gay Republicans, one the more vocal, the other more representative of the broad swath of gay conservatives.

The former, I would call “gay rights’” Republicans, many of whom want the GOP to take a stand on gay issues. Log Cabin does a good job of representing these guys.  Some of them may have pinched their nose and voted for Bush four years ago, but they were reluctant to support him publicly.

The other, the category in which I count myself, I would define merely as Republicans who happen to be gay. Basically libertarian, we’re content to have the party focus on its core conservative principles and just want the state to live alone.  We don’t believe we need gay-specific policies.  We supported Bush four years–and were willing to say so publicly.  We didn’t think he was perfect, but generally supported his record, particularly on national security issues.

We contend, indeed as the evidence shows, private institutions will adapt to respond to social changes without government prodding. Even during the supposedly anti-gay Bush Administration, things have improved for gay people with more states recognizing same-sex unions, more corporations offering domestic partnership benefits and adopting non-discrimination policies and great social acceptance of gay people. Simply put, we can live more openly today than we could ten years ago.

All that said, the important thing is that both groups of gay Republicans are united behind the GOP ticket this year. That’s why this endorsement is huge. Let’s hope more news outlets than Yahoo! take note.

1. What is also amazing about the LCR support is that it comes at a time when social conservatives are also very excited about the McCain/Palin ticket. Baring any mistakes by the campaign, Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin are heading towards the November election with support from all ends of the Republican social spectrum. I think that’s pretty remarkable.

Comment by cme — September 3, 2008 @ 5:39 pm - September 3, 2008

2. I told him I thought the endorsement was huge, particularly given the group’s failure to back the GOP presidential nominee four years ago.

That’s what you said, but in print (if it makes it at all) it will read: Obama’s bin Laden’s brother who will burn in hell!! or some such.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 3, 2008 @ 6:18 pm - September 3, 2008

3. Considering the vitriol being spewn in the last 48-hours by the GayLeft over the LCR endorsement, it’s fairly-obvious that LCR struck nerve here. Especially in-light-of the decent and fair reception the LCR and GPW have apparently received in St. Paul this week.

And who pays any attention to the Party platform anyway??

Assuming that the McCain/Palin ticket prevails, there’s a underestimated-factor at-play in regards to DADT, which is probably the most-important Federal barrier to true Gay rights…not the marriage/civil unions question that the States can sort-out. Both the McCains’ and the Palins’ have sons currently serving in combat; they might be our best advocates privately to ending DADT by simply letting their parents understand that their generation just doesn’t care about who’s gay in the foxhole or the cockpit. ….Or in their college classes, or their circle of friends.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — September 3, 2008 @ 6:37 pm - September 3, 2008

4. You make some great points which make we wonder why the liberals have always hated Bush so much. We actually have more glbt freedom after his tenure than we did during Billary’s. So in fact gay people should welcome another Republican president.

Comment by Trent — September 3, 2008 @ 7:32 pm - September 3, 2008

5. BTW, I saw a survey somewhere (was it here? maybe my memory is bad. I think it was maybe on Instapundit) that about 50% of RNC delegates favored either government recognition of gay marriage or civil unions. I don’t expect government recognized gay marriage is something that will gain support from the majority of Republicans anytime soon, but support for civil unions is already pretty mainstream within the GOP.

Comment by cme — September 3, 2008 @ 7:36 pm - September 3, 2008

6. The logic here is bizarre… the GLBT community enjoys more rights than ever before in SPITE of the last administration, which did everything in its power to try to prevent such things as the legalization of gay marriage in Massachusetts. Remember in 2004 when the demonizing of the gay community because one of the main talking points of the right wing conservatives? Talk about getting punched in the face, smiling, spitting out a tooth, and asking for more…

Comment by Joe — September 4, 2008 @ 1:26 am - September 4, 2008