An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 6:00 pm - September 14, 2008.
Filed under: 2008 Presidential Politics,Gay America

When i was in St. Paul, I heard former Congressman Jim Kolbe recount how John McCain reacted when the Arizona Senator learned his House colleague was gay:

It doesn’t make any difference, you’re a great legislator, you’re going to be a great legislator tomorrow.  You’re my friend, you’re going to be my friend tomorrow.

Turns out Jim Kolbe’s experience was not unique. When then-Tempe Mayor (and current president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)) Neil Giuliano publicly came out as gay, McCain reacted in a similar manner:

“John was the first to tell the religious right, ‘This doesn’t make a damned bit of difference,”’ Giuliano said, remembering how McCain went out of his way to call him a good mayor and a great friend. ”Politically in Arizona, McCain should have done just the opposite. Instead, he came right to my defense. He’s a loyal friend.”

An interesting pattern. Two cases, similar reaction. When John McCain learns a friend is gay, he says it doesn’t make any difference.  And that’s the way it should be, that our sexuality shouldn’t change the way others treat us.

John McCain treats gay people as individuals. Another reason I’m proud of my party’s presidential nominee.

1. Didn’t he also say yes to walking Ellen DeGeneres down the aisle at her wedding?

Comment by LCRW — September 14, 2008 @ 6:07 pm - September 14, 2008

2. Yeah, I do have a slight problem with this. If John McCain is comfortable about homosexuality anyway, it’s hardly an act of great friendship not to ditch someone for coming our for being gay. In other words, if something doesn’t make any difference then it doesn’t make any difference. Why is “not making any difference” something to celebrate one way or another?

Comment by Ælfhere — September 14, 2008 @ 6:32 pm - September 14, 2008

3. Aelfhere (I can’t reproduce that neat connected ae diphthong) — this is something to celebrate because it indicates some progress on attitudes towards gays within the GOP. Of course, there’s much more distance to cover, but we should give credit where credit is due — McCain took a small step in the right direction.

Comment by George — September 14, 2008 @ 7:07 pm - September 14, 2008

4. And, that is the way we ALL should treat each other, as individuals. The problem is that fill-in-the-blank “leaders” make certain groups out to be victims instead of accomplished people. Thus, if Obama loses this election, it will be because he is black. No other reason such as his ideology is out of step with most Americans. Until people stop following such “leaders” and look at each other as people, there will continue to be a victim class of Americans. I think Dennis Prager said it right. I have contempt for humanity but love individuals. The left has contempt for individuals but love humanity. I think I have the quote right. But, it is so true!

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — September 14, 2008 @ 7:56 pm - September 14, 2008

5. If McCain is so happy with the gays, why doesn’t he have a formal outreach programs? Are you proud that McCain endorsed the anti-gay marriage forces in California and Arizona? Are you proud that McCain is against protection from discrimination for gays? Don’t tell me, you think that such laws would provide for “special rights” and that gays are never the victims of workplace or housing discrimination?

It’s funny how Republicans are now crying sexism against Palin but when it comes to the laws that protect against sexism, racism, homophobia, etc., many Republicans have fought against them.

Finally, I am shocked by the utter lack of intellectual honesty that conservatives like yourself have embraced. John McCain has run one of the dirtiest and most dishonest campaigns in recent memory. This weekend, tens of newspapers across America featured columns denouncing the outright, disgusting lies issued from the McCain camp. Turning Obama’s support of a law to educate children against child predators into “sex education for Kindergartners”?

I don’t expect you to acknowledge or admonish the deceit. Like many conservatives, you have a win at all cost mentality. Morality seems to be something to use when it suits you and tossed away at other points.

The Republican Party used to stand for something other than being the party that lies the most. Lincoln would be ashamed to see its current incarnation.

All you can do is jump on the bandwagon and repeat Republican talking points. You refuse to seriously look at the situation and analyze the wrongdoings being committed. Why is it okay to lie to destroy your opponent? Where is the integrity and honor of doing that?

Comment by nick — September 14, 2008 @ 10:33 pm - September 14, 2008

6. Dennis Prager is awesome

Comment by Vince P — September 14, 2008 @ 10:47 pm - September 14, 2008

7. Why is “not making any difference” something to celebrate one way or another?

Because you’re supposed to believe that McCain is a racist, sexist, bigot homophobe that will send you straight (or merrily forward) to the gay death camps that the leftgayborg believe exist in the western USA.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 14, 2008 @ 11:14 pm - September 14, 2008

8. And as for sex education, given that Obama fully endorses and supports gay and lesbian parents taking their toddler-age children, dressed in dog collars, to public sex fairs where adults masturbate and have sex in front of them for “educational experiences”, what exactly is the alleged lie?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 15, 2008 @ 12:40 am - September 15, 2008

9. If McCain is so happy with the gays, why doesn’t he have a formal outreach programs?

Because McCain sees people as individuals, not as grouped by their sexual orientation.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 15, 2008 @ 12:42 am - September 15, 2008

10. not as grouped by their sexual orientation.

It’s the liberal left that wallows in identities and labels. They wouldn’t have it any other way because, otherwise, you couldn’t be as big of a victim.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 15, 2008 @ 1:50 am - September 15, 2008

11. Gee, my comments aren’t showing up. Apologize if this is a repeat…

ND40:

Get real. Nowhere in that article does Obama’s name appear. I’d say you should be ashamed of yourself but you are obviously too intellectually dishonest and morally bankrupt to understand that making up lies is wrong and incredibly stupid when they can be disproved in 30 seconds with a mouse click.

Secondly, on JohnMcCain.com, you’ll find that McCain has a big menu item called Coalition under which McCain has pages for such individuals as “Asian Americans,” Catholics, and “Race Fans for McCain.”

Again, if you’re going to make crap up, please try to be more creative.
    I’d go on but really, I’m very disappointed in the intellectual dishonesty hear.

As for laws being required to protect gays, stop pretending that they aren’t needed.

Comment by nicholas — September 15, 2008 @ 4:53 am - September 15, 2008

12. […] GayPatriot » An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays Bookmark to: var disqus_url = ‘http://leatherpenguin.com/wordpress/?p=3944 ‘; var disqus_title = ‘Sen. McGrampypants: Fag Friendly’; var disqus_message = ‘Hwo’d a thunk it?%0AGayPatriot » An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays%0ABookmark to:%0ABookmark to:%0A’; View the entire comment thread. […]

Pingback by LeatherPenguin » Sen. McGrampypants: Fag Friendly — September 15, 2008 @ 8:16 am - September 15, 2008

13. Thanks for passing along this info. I don’t think I would ever vote for President based on the gay issue. Firstly, there are far more crucial issues in a presidential election. Secondly, our progress as gays resulted from social-economic changes and education far more than from politics. Thirdly, it’s impossible to agree with anyone on ALL issues.

Nevertheless, it’s great to know that the person I’m voting for is not a bigot, and doesn’t conceal his friendship with gay people. That was true of George Bush as well, but McCain is about 10 years older (half a generation), so it probably took him a bit more effort to come to that understanding.

Comment by barry youngerman — September 15, 2008 @ 8:35 am - September 15, 2008

14. We have a contributor at our blog who was born, grew up in and has remained in a small town in West Texas. His is in his 50’s now and only came out about three years ago.

I can’t imagine having to hold back or hide that kind of thing so long from the people who have known you the best and the longest.

He finally did come out and is much much happier for it.

He was shocked that everyone that he feared might freak in his small and decidedly Red-Sate town didn’t care a whit and some had pretty much figured it that way for quite some time.

His punch line…and it is no joke…is that the only real trouble he has ever had coming out is when his gay friends from other towns find out he is a conservative.

Much rougher seas, there.

Comment by Natalie — September 15, 2008 @ 8:39 am - September 15, 2008

15. Why is “not making any difference” something to celebrate one way or another?

It certainly seemed to make a difference Neil Giuliano’s life.

Comment by DoDoGuRu — September 15, 2008 @ 8:47 am - September 15, 2008

16. “It’s the liberal left that wallows in identities and labels.”
    –Like “Gay Patriot” or “gay conservative”/

“Be a victim”?
    –Like Sarah Palin being a victim of sexism? or John McCain of mean comments linked to his being handicapped as an explanation for a lack of computer savvy?

Comment by Nikc — September 15, 2008 @ 8:50 am - September 15, 2008

17. Why should gays have a ”formal” outreach program?

And why can’t gays (our single most creative class) come up with a word for life-time commitment to another other than marriage?

A man with a man is a different relationship than a woman with a woman than a woman with a man.

They should all be equal though.

Comment by Jack — September 15, 2008 @ 8:51 am - September 15, 2008

18. […] EMERGING PATTERN with John McCain and gays. “When John McCain learns a friend is gay, he says it doesn’t make any […]

Pingback by ZEITGEIST — September 15, 2008 @ 8:59 am - September 15, 2008

19. Everyone gets a permit to create a union. Only religious zealots require a charlatan to ‘tie the knot’.

Comment by Willys — September 15, 2008 @ 10:34 am - September 15, 2008

20. Nick in #14, read this post.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — September 15, 2008 @ 11:01 am - September 15, 2008

21. Jack #15:

Hey, Jack, have you noticed how many of the good guys are named Jack? There’s Jack Bauer, Smilin’ Jack, Jack Shephard, …

As a straight guy I’ve been thinking the same thing about finding a better word than marriage for gay/lesbian unions. Co-opting the word marriage to me somehow misses the mark; the Sacred Band of Thebes, and all committed gay and lesbian couples, deserves a word that uniquely honors their bonds.

Comment by Jack Okie — September 15, 2008 @ 11:41 am - September 15, 2008

22. […] UpdateII: Ah ha! They’re just closing a perceived alternative lifestyle tolerance gap! […]

Pingback by Silent Running » Blog Archive » Targeting the Swing(town) vote, Joe? — September 15, 2008 @ 12:09 pm - September 15, 2008

23. Liberals are sooo angry. The only angry, vile comments on any board I read are from Liberals (ie: Nick). I don’t know how I could get through my daily life if I was always so angry. Yuck! What a turn off!

Comment by OutliciousTV — September 15, 2008 @ 12:11 pm - September 15, 2008

24. If McCain is so happy with the gays, why doesn’t he have a formal outreach programs?

Such things only have importance in the token-based world of Democrats, nick. Or are only important to token-minded people.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 15, 2008 @ 12:17 pm - September 15, 2008

25. McCains campaign director (Schmidt) accepted the Log Cabin Republican’s endorsement of McCain/Palin at the RNConv personally – I’d say that is approaching formal acceptance of gay people.

Comment by ted — September 15, 2008 @ 12:19 pm - September 15, 2008

26. McCain should have picked Val Kilmer as his VP and announced it on a beach…on a volleyball court.

Now that would have really sewed up the Log Cabin vote.

Comment by RM — September 15, 2008 @ 1:24 pm - September 15, 2008

27. […] The Left, The Media. Tags: gay patriot, McCain a bully, McCain Mean, Obama a wuss trackback   An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays Posted by GayPatriotWest at 6:00 pm – September 14, 2008. Filed under: 2008 Presidential Politics, […]

Pingback by McCain Runs Dirtiest Campaign (What am I missing here?) « Zipline Conservative — September 15, 2008 @ 1:50 pm - September 15, 2008

28. My problem is simply with the idea of “credit”. If John McCain is pro-gay then why is it to his credit that he says he is? He would be a hyprocrite is he wasn’t but said that he was, or vice versa. Or he could be principled and be against homosexuality personally but prepared to tolerate it in others for the sake of some greater good – or indeed vice versa. (He could, theoretically, quite like homosexuals personally but still consider homosexuality itself to be a moral disorder – loving the sinner but not the sin.)

In any event, McCain is a wily old politician and knows that the overwhelming majority of Americans are not anti-gay, even if they may be opposed to the more extreme forms of gay rights.

Yes, if I were an American I’d vote for McCain-Palin rather than for Obama-Whatshisname. But beware of seeing him through, er, rose-tinted spectacles.

Comment by Ælfhere — September 15, 2008 @ 2:13 pm - September 15, 2008

29. Nick, McCain isn’t asking for any kind of preferential treatment on the basis of his war injuries or age (or combination thereof); he’s responding to a scurrilous attempt by the Obama campaign to make his war injuries and age a campaign issue. (Obama can’t seem to pick a winner these days.) Possibly Sen. Obama has forgotten that elders tend to get out the vote in humongous numbers, whereas the youth vote tends to prove somewhat more elusive…

As for Gov. Palin’s being dismissed by the Obama campaign, and the McCain campaign’s response (pointing out that the party of “tolerance” has so far totally dissed two intelligent, accomplished women this year, apparently on the basis of their repeated X), that’s just strategery, as somebody says. For Obama to claim that he is more qualified than Clinton, or that Palin is less qualified than he (an arguable point, but even if it were unequivocally obvious it’d be nothing but a big DUH, since he’s running for President and she’s not) is a giant glob of hypocrisy that the McCain campaign would have to be both saintly and wildly overconfident to let pass without comment.

I seriously doubt that Palin is sobbing into Todd’s shoulder over “unfair” treatment or that McCain is shaking his fist in impotent fury. I do imagine there’s a lot of chuckling at McCain headquarters.

Comment by Jamie — September 15, 2008 @ 2:53 pm - September 15, 2008

30. […] Original Post. Share:These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. […]

Pingback by Friedman Libertarian - GayPatriot & An Emerging Pattern with John McCain and Gays — September 16, 2008 @ 12:26 am - September 16, 2008

31. “In other words, if something doesn’t make any difference then it doesn’t make any difference…. I also cannot believe that the people of Arizona are as anti-gay as this quotation suggests. (Do they even know what gays are in Arizona, I wonder?)”

How amusing: Ælfhere refuses to credit McCain for acting on his beliefs in the face of (any assumed) hostility to gays in Arizona. In his very next sentence, he all but calls Arizonans ignorant fundie hicks.

Ælfhere could have known if Arizonans have any native homos, or how they are regarded, but apparently he is either too frightened to travel to AZ, or does not care enough about the dumb hicks (or the foolish homos who refuse relocation to NYC, LA or SF) to go there and find out, or even Google.

Cut and run, Ælfhere, cut and run.

Comment by somercet — September 16, 2008 @ 5:23 am - September 16, 2008

32. […] anyway, we already know how John McCain treats friends and colleagues when they come out to him as gay.  It doesn’t matter to him.  He treats them he same as he did the day before he learned […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Non-story of Mark Buse’s Outing — September 24, 2008 @ 1:18 am - September 24, 2008

33. Now if it were only possible to come out as a Republican to my Democratic friends and family!

My family would sit shiva for me.

Comment by miriam — October 1, 2008 @ 11:04 am - October 1, 2008

34. “I wish my liberal friends were open and unprejudiced enough to let this affect their views. I’ll try it, but I doubt it.”

What a joke. I should be open to someone who opposes my right to marry the person that I love? Why can’t MCCAIN be open and unprejudiced?

No, I am not only letting this affect my opinion of McCain. It’s about a million other things I disagree with. Why do you think liberals vote Democrat? Because of one issue on gay rights? NO. I’m sure you’d be hard-pressed to find more than a few things that liberals would like about McCain.

Comment by J — October 1, 2008 @ 10:43 pm - October 1, 2008

35. […] keeps coming in about John McCain’s attitudes about gays. And guess what? It confirms what we already know about this good man from Arizona: he harbors exactly the attitude toward gays we would want from […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » More Good News About McCain’s Attitude toward Gays — October 2, 2008 @ 1:45 am - October 2, 2008