In Hollywood, Republican is the New Gay?

Welcome Instapundit Readers!

In commenting on the challenges he has faced since moving to the right politically, Airplane! director David Zucker observes, in Hollywood, “you sort of feel like you have to hide [your conservatism]. When you meet, you give each other a secret look — ‘Are you a Republican, too?’ It’s the new gay.

I had to smile when I read that, given that for the better part of my first five years in Los Angeles, I kept pretty tight-lipped about my politics, yet have been pretty open about my sexuality.  I mean, until 2004, all my friends here knew I was gay.  Only a handful knew I was a Republican.

Michael Moore helped change that.  When friends (and acquaintances) started e-mailing me links this mean-spirited, dishonest hack’s film, I felt I could not let his deceptions go unchallenged.

Well, now Zucker has done me, indeed all of us, one better.  He’s made a movie spoofing that flabby filmmaker.  In An American Carol, he spoofs an America-hating filmmaker with a striking resemblance to Moore.

Not just that, he’s helping a few Hollywood conservatives come out of the closet at the same time.  Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper and Jon Voight all play parts in this film.  Anyway, it comes out in fewer than two weeks, next Friday, October 3.  So, you can celebrate Sarah Palin’s debate victory over Joe Biden by watching the film.

it’ll remind me of the role Michael Moore played in my Hollywood coming out.

1. I was thinking the other day that he ought to make a new version of Not Necessarily the News. Surnow had that show on Fox for a few weeks, but I think somebody really needs to make an effort at a full half hour show.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 23, 2008 @ 3:04 am - September 23, 2008

2. Linked over from Instapundit and well worth it. I could just as well come over from Dirty Harry’s Place too I suppose. Good article. Mix up the water a little.

Comment by jayne — September 23, 2008 @ 7:50 am - September 23, 2008

3. Coincidentally, hollywood gaiety was the topic of the first post at my own blog this morning.

Comment by V the K — September 23, 2008 @ 9:02 am - September 23, 2008

4. A dish best served cold. :-)

Comment by Sissy Willis — September 23, 2008 @ 9:07 am - September 23, 2008

5. Uh huh…so he really believes that conservatives have been persecuted to the same degree as gays? Last I checked he could walk down the street holding his wife’s hand without threat of getting beaten or killed. Asshole.

Comment by Derek C. — September 23, 2008 @ 9:14 am - September 23, 2008

6. I don’t run with the Hollywood set — but I’m guessing that being Republican is far worse than being gay ever was. Being Republican, after all, is a conscious choice — it’s a product of thought and consideration. And, to people in that clique, it seems something other than a mere preference between a couple equally popular and valid choices.

I’m reminded of what author Tom Wolfe said about the reaction in the literary world when he revealed that he was a supporter of George W. Bush — it was as if he had said, “I forgot to tell you – I’m a child molester.”

Comment by Scott — September 23, 2008 @ 9:34 am - September 23, 2008

7. As a concerned Christian cons – (checking the site) uh, I mean as a gay man with a full collection of Erasure and New Order CDs, this movie is a distraction from the real issues, which is how Sarah Palin supported pork projects in her state, called the Iraq occupation a “holy war” (exact words!), belongs to the Alaskan Independence Party, and hates rape victims.

And I’m totally a grassroots Christian conservative with, like, decent clubwear and stuff.

Comment by David Ross — September 23, 2008 @ 9:42 am - September 23, 2008

8. I have not paid full price for a Hollywood movie in almost ten years. I have not paid discount price for a Hollywood film since The Incredibles. I have not bought a Hollywood VHS/DVD in more than fifteen years. Every day brings me news of another Hollyweirdo that I WILL not support with my money.

But I will be in line on Friday, the 3rd, to watch this film!

Comment by Karen — September 23, 2008 @ 10:32 am - September 23, 2008

9. Dennis Hopper, conservative? Now I’ve seen everything!

Here’s hoping this new film is better than those interminable ZAZ cheapie knockoffs though…

Comment by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater — September 23, 2008 @ 11:32 am - September 23, 2008

10. it was as if he had said, “I forgot to tell you – I’m a child molester.”

Hollywood is pretty okay with that. Just look at Roman Polansky or that sick f–k who directed “Jeepers Creepers.”

Comment by V the K — September 23, 2008 @ 11:43 am - September 23, 2008

11. No, we don’t get beaten or killed. We just get our cars keyed and windows smashed if we put a McCain sticker on our bumpers.

I’ve heard of vengeful victims covering Obama stickers with McCain stickers on Dems’ cars. Heh. A little “blue on blue” would be karmalicious.

Comment by MZ — September 23, 2008 @ 11:46 am - September 23, 2008

12. There’s hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle…

But in a town where morality is generally based on being anti-corporate, root for the underdog, embrace leftie feelgoodism, one has to wonder about the daily hypocrisies we all recognize. Consider: a screenwriter has his work stolen and a producer puts his name on a work he hasn’t touched. Unethical, immoral, theft: and gets away with it because he’s rich and powerful. And he probably lambastes republicans every chance he gets…

Then there’s the jetsetting lifestyles, the massive houses and extravagance… while paying the help pennies.

Hollywood disgusts me more because of these hypocrisies of plutarchy and abusive denigration of the “underclass” than anything else. These are the same people who spit on conservatives, who in general live closer to the American mainstream than B. Streisand, Spellings, etc.

Comment by Nagaina — September 23, 2008 @ 12:07 pm - September 23, 2008

13. Interesting metaphor, “the new gay”… seems like as each Hollywood conservative ‘comes out’, he’s met with mixed reactions, a bit of cold shoulder, then grudging affection and respect..

At least now I can use Charlton Heston and Liberace in the same sentence! :-)

I’m glad you guys at GP recognize the parallel… it sure does ring true out here in Texas… nobody here cares who’s gay or not, anymore, except a few serious rednecks in trailer houses that nobody listens to anyway.. I read in the Dallas Morning News last week a great story about a gay partner of a successful small town businessman who was murdered. This man, not a local, was then taken under the wing of the ‘small town rednecks’, and got all kinds of help and support from them in keeping an building the business his partner left behind… they helped him get over his loss, and helped him secure his place in town, in an unlikely spot by any standards.. just shows how far we’ve come and how retro the leftards are in their complaints…

Comment by Dave in Texas — September 23, 2008 @ 12:53 pm - September 23, 2008

14. Derek C., I haven’t been beaten for walking down the street. But last week I was threatened with violence on the Internet, purely for expressing conservative opinions. I believe the threat would have been carried out if I were not anonymous.

Comment by Evil Pundit — September 23, 2008 @ 1:10 pm - September 23, 2008

15. They need a word like “gaydar”. Maybe “readar” as in Reagan? There has to be a word for conservatives recognizing conservatives in Hollywood. You should set up some kind of naming contest.

Comment by Buford Gooch — September 23, 2008 @ 1:11 pm - September 23, 2008

16. How to spot a fellow conservative: If someone refuses to discuss their politics until they get to know you better, they’re probably a conservative.

Comment by V the K — September 23, 2008 @ 1:27 pm - September 23, 2008

17. Just last week a straight guy at my company went berzerk when I said that I’m independent and was balancing authenticated information before I make my decision. Shades of living in the closet! I didn’t even tell him that I’m voting McCain and he was apoplectic, screaming that if I voted for anybody but O’Bama he’d never speak to me. Odd choice of words for a young straight guy, but he was virtually foaming at the mouth.

I responded, “First, I walk away from any and all screamers. Second, I HAVE a religion, and it is not politics.”

He ranted. I walked.

BTW, the only times in my life I was hassled for being gay was in 1976 San Francisco. I get hassled in my own home for having a picture of the President and his wife. I tend to always have a pic of whoever is in the chair, because he needs the support, even if he is a total mess-up.

Comment by Non-partisan Miamian — September 23, 2008 @ 1:47 pm - September 23, 2008

18. [...] Posted by Stephen Green on 23 Sep 2008 at 11:50 am Republican: It’s the new gay! [...]

Pingback by Vodkapundit » Never Straight But Gaily to the Right — September 23, 2008 @ 1:50 pm - September 23, 2008

19. michael moore!!! what a capitalist. he has singlehandedly done more to spread cash around town with his:…http://www.traversecityfilmfest.org/statetheatre/

Comment by michael — September 23, 2008 @ 2:15 pm - September 23, 2008

20. Re: 15. How to spot a fellow conservative: If someone refuses to discuss their politics until they get to know you better, they’re probably a conservative.

Comment by V the K — September 23, 2008 @ 1:27 pm – September 23, 2008

LOL-very true.

Comment by LCRW — September 23, 2008 @ 2:54 pm - September 23, 2008

21. $20 says Derek C has at least once referred to Bush as Hitler.

Comment by SondraK — September 23, 2008 @ 2:58 pm - September 23, 2008

22. Hey David Ross, are you sure your real last name isn’t Axelrod?

Comment by Cousin Dave — September 23, 2008 @ 4:42 pm - September 23, 2008

23. Shoot! I still confuse the secret gay handshake with the secret Republican handshake…

Comment by The other Peter H — September 23, 2008 @ 4:42 pm - September 23, 2008

24. “There has to be a word for conservatives recognizing conservatives in Hollywood.”

How about Shiboleth?

Comment by incongruities — September 23, 2008 @ 4:47 pm - September 23, 2008

25. “They need a word like “gaydar”. Maybe “readar” as in Reagan? There has to be a word for conservatives recognizing conservatives in Hollywood. You should set up some kind of naming contest.”

How about GOPpler radar?

Whenever I read a political novel or watch a political movie or TV show, I’m usually able to tell if the author/producer is a conservative if they assign a political affiliation to a fictional president. Liberal author will always make the evil president Republican and the good president Democrat (West Wing, An American President, Fahrenheit 9/11). But if you read a Tom Clancy novel or watch an episode of “24″ you will notice they avoid assigning political affiliation to any character.

So a lack of information on political affiliation is a sign of Republican affiliation.

Comment by Aaron — September 23, 2008 @ 4:49 pm - September 23, 2008

26. How about that, a good movie I will pay money to see.

By the way, the gay guys who live a couple of houses down from me, with the wonderful front yard, are bringing me a McCain/Palin sign to put in my front yard today.

Funny how that works here in Texas.

Comment by OldTexan — September 23, 2008 @ 5:28 pm - September 23, 2008

27. Yah, those poor, un-loved conservatives in Hollywood. Like Ahnold, Bruce Willis, Drew Carry, Kelsey Gramer, Charlton Heston, Ronald Reagon….

Comment by Dan — September 23, 2008 @ 6:27 pm - September 23, 2008

28. GPW: All possible respect, dude, but PLEASE have a little mercy and don’t EVER use the name “Michael Moore” and the phrase “coming out” in the same sentence again.
    Now, if y’all will excuse me, I have to go scrub my brain with bleach…

Comment by DaveP. — September 23, 2008 @ 6:39 pm - September 23, 2008

29. How about GOPpler radar!
    I’m dyin’!

Comment by Melissa In Texas — September 23, 2008 @ 7:47 pm - September 23, 2008

30. “GOPpler radar”

That’s a good one

Comment by Vince P — September 23, 2008 @ 7:51 pm - September 23, 2008

31. Last I checked he could walk down the street holding his wife’s hand without threat of getting beaten or killed. Asshole.

Don’t worry. He won’t wind up a more pathetic victim than you are, asshole.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 23, 2008 @ 8:00 pm - September 23, 2008

32. I guess that means you use GOPler gaydar to out an Log Cabin Republican from the rest of the herd.

Speaking of “outing”, I both enjoying and appalled the Leftist outrage that Sen. McCain’s Senate Chief of Staff for years is openly gay….not that he’s closted and self-loathing mind-you….they just deranged that he’s openly gay AND that Senator’s know for years and is fine with that.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — September 23, 2008 @ 8:02 pm - September 23, 2008

33. #27 Dan you ran out of names after just five….in the last 50 years?
    Case closed.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 23, 2008 @ 8:54 pm - September 23, 2008

34. Michael Moore is fat. It’s funny ’cause it’s true.

Comment by tgb1000 — September 23, 2008 @ 10:07 pm - September 23, 2008

35. In California, anyone who calls themselves a ‘Libertarian’, an ‘Independent’, or a ‘Moderate’, is a Republican.

Comment by GK — September 23, 2008 @ 11:04 pm - September 23, 2008

36. “IN Austin, you see very few conservative bumper stickers, due to excessive moonbat mis-behavior. I just got my McCain / Palin signs and I cannot wait to put ‘em up!”

Austin: Texas’ political landfill. Keep all the liberals there so the rest of Texas (including me in the Panhandle) won’t have to see them.

Or smell them.

Comment by Aaron — September 24, 2008 @ 1:35 am - September 24, 2008

37. I work in Hollywood, so I can attest to the hatred and threats, both real and implied. I know I would be fired by my boss if she knew I voted Republican. You cannot talk to these people. The only way I can get a word in now is that they think I am a disgruntled Hillary-ite. It will work, but only for a while. I feel like I am living in a real life version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, just waiting for Donald Sutherland to point at me and shriek. I went to the OC last weekend and almost cried when I saw some McCain Palin placards in house windows. Not that I am totally behind McCain, but the freedom to express political views without fear of property or personal damage was nice to see. I did get the pleasure of working with Steve McEveety, one of the producers, many years ago. He’s a nice guy who treated everyone well. More than I can say about the liberal hypocrites I work with.

Comment by Sunny — September 24, 2008 @ 2:30 am - September 24, 2008

38. [...] Link found via Vodkapundit “Republican: It’s the new gay!” [...]

Pingback by Political Party Poop — September 24, 2008 @ 9:09 am - September 24, 2008

39. [...] In Hollywood, Republican is the new gay. Hmm, being a conservative-leaning independent that means I am bi? Well, it does improve your [...]

Pingback by Very Busy « The Reluctant Optimist — September 24, 2008 @ 9:50 am - September 24, 2008

40. Well, you know why Meryl Streep gets all those great roles and Bo Derek gets none – liberal bias. Ditto Jon Voight and George Clooney.

Comment by tgb1000 — September 24, 2008 @ 12:08 pm - September 24, 2008

41. Streep vs. Derek? Whiskey Foxtrot Tango!?

tgb1000, you couldn’t come up with a better example than Bo freakin’ Derek? My dirty socks can act better than she can.

I disagree with Ms. Streep’s politics, but I respect her talent as an actress.

Comment by Casey — September 24, 2008 @ 3:07 pm - September 24, 2008

42. “They need a word like “gaydar”. Maybe “readar” as in Reagan? There has to be a word for conservatives recognizing conservatives in Hollywood. You should set up some kind of naming contest.”

“Everyone, this is Steve. He’s a ‘friend of Ronald’s’.”

“Ohhh…hi Steve!”

Comment by Mars vs Hollywood — September 24, 2008 @ 8:19 pm - September 24, 2008

43. [...] risk the opprobrium of your peers.  As I’ve expressed several times on this blog (here and here for example), when I moved to LA in 1999, I decided (by and large) to hide my conservative [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why It Matters to Come Out as a Gay Republican — October 8, 2008 @ 5:14 pm - October 8, 2008

44. [...] Hollywood.  Echoing David Zucker who said last fall that being Republican here is the “new gay,” Charles, upon making gift donations to ActforAmerica.org, a grassroots group keeping  an [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » How 9/11 Awakaned a Gay Man in Hollywood — January 16, 2009 @ 5:16 pm - January 16, 2009

45. [...] RELATED: In Hollywood, Republican is the New Gay? [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » In Liberal Enclaves, Conservative is the New Gay — May 3, 2009 @ 7:19 pm - May 3, 2009

46. I live in Canberra and I face the same problem. When I used to work in the Australian Public Service I did not dare mention my political affiliation. Canberra is dominated by Labour Party hacks (equivalent of the Democrats) and if you want further to the left there is also the Green contingent.

I might be straight but on this issue I face the same problem here in Canberra. When I lived in Sydney we lived in an area that was more openly Liberal, and there was a lot more freedom when it came to discussing politics. All the same it was difficult to bring up the subject in front of those we knew to be Labour supporters, and it is for the same reasons that you have mentioned.

Most of the actors here are openly leftist in their agenda. Ditto with the rock bands. Even a hack like Peter Garrett has too much sway over the young people.

Hopefully these people will go through a mea culpa when they wake up to their own foolishness.

Comment by thestraightaussie — May 4, 2009 @ 5:48 am - May 4, 2009

47. Jewellery…

once again you outdid yourself…

Trackback by Jewellery — October 22, 2009 @ 1:21 pm - October 22, 2009