Should Palin Go Moose (& Vote) Hunting in Maine?

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:41 am - September 24, 2008.
Filed under: 2008 Presidential Politics,Strong Women

When I read Michael Barone’s latest post on the opportunity McCain and Palin have in the Frozen North, that tier of states from Wisconsin to Washington State (and Alaska), one passage (related to another northern state) struck me as it reminded me of one my crazy theories about this election.  First, the passage:

. . .there’s a tantalizing poll in another state that could be called part of the Frozen North: Maine. Scott Rasmussen has Obama up by only 4 percent, compared with 14 percent and 8 percent in his August and July polls there. But Research 2000, polling in September has Obama leading by 14 percent, exactly the same number as the average of seven preconvention polls from April through August.

And now the theory. As you may know, two states, Maine and Nebraska, allocate their electoral votes differently from most states. In these two states, each candidate gets one elector for each congressional district he wins, two for winning the state.

Maine, as Barone writes in his Almanac of American Politics, is “contrary-minded.” It handed Ross Perot his largest percentage of the vote in both 1992 and 1996. In ’92, Perot actually edged out the incumbent president of the United States (who maintained a vacation home in the state) by just over 300 votes.

Perot even won three counties, Piscataquis, Somerset and Waldo. All three counties are in the state’s Second Congressional District. George W. Bush lost the district by fewer than 10,000 votes in 2000 and by about 20,000 four years later.

Given the contrary-nature of the state and the appeal of Sarah Palin to rural voters in the Frozen North, it’s entirely possible the McCain-Palin ticket could carry Maine’s Second District. (And heck, the state seems to like Republican women, electing two of them to the U.S. Senate.)  The Republicans may not win the state, but they will win one electoral vote which could help in a tight race.

It just might be a good idea to dispatch Sarah Palin to Bangor.

Oh, and they do have moose in Maine, with moose-hunting permitted this week and from October 13 through 18.

1. [...] GayPatriotWest created an interesting post today on Should Palin Go Moose (& Vote) Hunting in Maine?Here’s a short outlineThe Republicans may not win the state, but they will win one electoral vote which could help in a tight race. It just might be a good idea to dispatch Sarah Palin to Bangor. Oh, and they do have moose in Maine, with moose-hunting … [...]

Pingback by Outdoor Activities — September 24, 2008 @ 1:56 am - September 24, 2008

2. Naomi Wolf has lost her mind.. This is hilarious

====

RUSH: Do you remember Naomi Wolf? She is this extreme wacko feminazi who got hold of Algore’s wardrobe in 2000 and said, “Earth colors, earth colors.” She has posted a statement about Sarah Palin on the Huffington Post. Let me give you just some highlights of this, because Naomi Wolf is one of those that Democrats turn to for policy advice on women’s issues.

“Please understand what you are looking at when you look at Sarah ‘Evita’ Palin. You are looking at the designated muse of the coming American police state. … I realized early on with horror what I was seeing in Governor Palin: the continuation of the Rove-Cheney cabal, but this time without restraints. … I saw that she was even styled by the same skillful stylist (neutral lipstick, matte makeup, dark colors) who turned Katharine Harris from a mall rat into a stateswoman and who styles all the women in the Bush orbit — but who does not bother to style Cindy McCain. … She uses mafia tactics against critics.” This is Naomi Wolf talking about Sarah Palin. “The riot police wore the black S&M gear of the Rovian fantasy life and carried the four foot batons cops carry in North Korea. All this is not John McCain’s imagery or strategy: it is Karl Rove’s. In McCain-Palin’s America, citizens who are protesting are being charged as terrorists. This means that a violent war had been declared on American citizens. A well known reporter leaked to me on background that St Paul police had dressed as protesters and, dressed in Black — shades of the Blackshirts of 1920.”

You don’t understand how Sarah Palin has driven these people whacky. Here’s the thing. They don’t know anybody like Sarah Palin. Nobody in the media, nobody in the liberal elite knows anybody with five kids, they don’t know anybody that’s shot a moose, they don’t know anybody when to owns a gun, they don’t know anybody that loves God, celebrates God, they don’t know anybody with a husband who can run snow machine races and race dogs and so forth and work on a pipeline and wear a hard hat, they don’t know anybody like her. They don’t know anybody that has five kids. They don’t know anybody that has a kid with Down syndrome. They don’t know anybody like her. They think that people like her are so far way beneath them and that there are so few people like Sarah Palin, they are totally, totally blown off their equilibrium here. But this gets even better, Snerdley. I barely scratched the surface of this post from Naomi Wolf.

Comment by Vince P — September 24, 2008 @ 4:13 am - September 24, 2008

3. Flashing back to John “Can I get ME a huntin’ license here?” Kerry.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 24, 2008 @ 4:45 am - September 24, 2008

4. I’d love to see her in my home state… I am going to predict that Northern Maine will vote for McCain. Southern Maine will be Obama country…

Comment by TnnsNE1 — September 24, 2008 @ 9:25 am - September 24, 2008

5. If Sarah Palin does go moose huntin’ in Maine, I just hope her aim is better than Dick Cheney’s.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — September 24, 2008 @ 10:28 am - September 24, 2008

6. Hey, you spelled “Piscataquis” right! You’d be amazed how many out-of-staters trip up on that one:)
    Us Mainers are very proud of our 2 GOP senators. They be RINOs to all the rest of you, but that’s the only brand of Republicanism that works in these parts.

Comment by Jimbo — September 24, 2008 @ 11:13 am - September 24, 2008

7. FWIW, I’ve never understood the hunting-for-votes campaign tactic. If you are a phony hunter like Sen. Kerry, you appear pathetic. If you are a legitimate hunter like Gov. Palin, it still appears to be pandering when you are doing it in the course of campaigning—at least I’d see it that way. Does this sort of thing really change anyone’s vote? I’m pretty sure everyone for whom hunting is a big issue already knew that Sen. Kerry was not one of them before he went hunting, and I don’t think he changed anyone’s mind. And I’m pretty sure those same people already know Gov. Palin is, in fact, one of them. Presumably, she and McCain already have that demographic locked up. I have to believe that hunters who vote for Sen. Obama will do so because of differences betwen him and McCain on other issues, not because the McCain/Palin ticket isn’t sufficiently pro-hunting. But maybe I don’t understand what wins votes from various people. (BTW, I am a reasonably solid backer of 2nd Amendment rights but am not a hunter or a gun guy.)

If I’m not mistaken, Sen. Obama has not done a campaign hunting trip and has no revealed plans to do so, right? Assuming that is the case, it represents one of the very few things I can respect about Sen. Obama’s campaign—it doesn’t seem like he is trying to pretend he’s someone other than a Ivy league lawyer/community organizer. By that, I don’t mean he’s not disingenious in how he campaigns; I think he absolutely is. I’m just saying though that it seems he always stays in Hyde Park mode and is much less likely than past candidates to pretend he’s a fisherman or hunter or farmer or whatever. Know what I mean?

Anyway, is a hunting trip likely to flip one electoral vote to McCain/Palin? Wouldn’t it just be better to campaign there rather than hunt there? I think this election is ultimately going to be won or lost in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Michigan. Even if Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Oregon, Washington, or Wisconsin flip from the 2004 election, I don’t think they will make a difference. If I were the McCain campaign, I would just concentrate on holding Virginia, Colorado, Ohio, Florida, New Mexico, and Nevada and putting a lot into flipping Michigan and Pennsylvania just in case they lose a few of the Bush states. Pennsylvania and Michigan are the only two Kerry states I think McCain might win while losing some Bush’s 2004 states (not including Iowa, which seems to have drifted away from McCain).

Comment by cme — September 24, 2008 @ 12:14 pm - September 24, 2008

8. I just hope her aim is better than Dick Cheney’s.

Aim doesn’t matter when somebody walks in front of you.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 24, 2008 @ 12:40 pm - September 24, 2008

9. Sen. Obama has not done a campaign hunting trip and has no revealed plans to do so, right?

Give him time. He will. They always do, though maybe Obama will have his picture taken in a tank.

Comment by rightwingprof — September 24, 2008 @ 12:52 pm - September 24, 2008

10. Not sure whether this would be brilliant or silly. (And the 1 electoral vote of northern Maine shouldn’t be the target, if she does it.)

Depends on how the MSM would react.

If the front pages of all the papers were of Palin next to the bloody carcass of the moose she killed, and the press went into a frenzy of “look what a monster she is!!!” — I’m still not sure. Just how many serious hunters are staunch democratic voters?

If it pulled Obama and Biden to reveal their anti-gun bias blatantly, it might be worth it. Otherwise… it might end up turning off the suburban soccer moms who don’t know anyone who hunts…

Comment by Clint — September 24, 2008 @ 2:00 pm - September 24, 2008

11. #6 Jimbo, “Hello” , from a fellow Maine gay conservative. You, my partner and I make 3 so far… hehe

Comment by TnnsNE1 — September 24, 2008 @ 2:28 pm - September 24, 2008

12. ringwingprof, I hope you’re right. I think such a stunt by Obama would backfire (no pun intended), and yet it seems obligatory that candidates pander their way out to a field or forest to shoot at something they would rather buy in a grocery store. My guess though is that as long as Obama thinks he will win because of the youth vote, the educated snob vote, the “I heard on the news that McCain sucks and Barack rocks, so it must be true” vote, and the “wow, he gives a great speech” vote, he is okay with ceding the bitter hick vote to McCain. Basically, I’m just skeptical that Sen. Obama is gracious enough to entertain us with a phony hunting trip.

Comment by cme — September 24, 2008 @ 3:21 pm - September 24, 2008

13. 1. Michael Barone has apparently never been to Washington in winter: we are lucky to get a couple days of snow a year.

2. Palin was supposed to be here today, but cancelled due to a scheduling conflict (I’m guessing that means they wanted her in a real swing state) Cindy was here instead.

3. Washington elections have become crooked as hell, both Slade Gorton and Dino Rossi have had victories stolen from them by Democrats Maria Cantwell and Christine Gregoire respectively. Even if McCain won Washington, Democrats would suddenly “find” enough previously unknown ballots in Seattle to put Obama over the top. They “found” batches of pro-Democrat ballots 16 times in 2004. every time it was clear they hadnt “found” enough, they suddenly “found” more. They also sued to have inelligible ballots counted.

By the way, expect to see a great deal of these exact tactics by Democrats this November — and not just in swing states. Mark my words.

Comment by American Elephant — September 24, 2008 @ 7:23 pm - September 24, 2008

14. Flashing back to John “Can I get ME a huntin’ license here?” Kerry

Did he really say that?!

Comment by American Elephant — September 24, 2008 @ 7:47 pm - September 24, 2008

15. [...] over a week ago, I suggested that the McCain campaign should send Sarah Palin to Maine where the moose-hunting Alaska Governor might be able to help put that state’s second [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » McCain to Campaign in Maine’s Second District — October 3, 2008 @ 2:52 pm - October 3, 2008

16. It would appear that Sarah Palin is going to Maine and not just to get one electoral vote but all four of them. See http://www.marstonchronicles.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=2 for an interesting take on this. The author has been pushing the Maine idea for a couple of weeks and it seems he has made a dent. His credentials and residence in Arizona may have something to do with that.

Comment by gemimail — October 4, 2008 @ 1:33 am - October 4, 2008

17. I would like to make one more point to “Burt” and other astroturfers: we welcome an open and honest debate at Gay Patriot so there is no need to lie about who you are and why you oppose McCain-Palin or the GOP in general. True “concerned conservative Christians” (especially “pastor’s wives”) have no need for such deception. The use of such tactics betrays an inherent weakness in character and that the user lacks the courage of their convictions. As Jim Malone via Sean Connery warned, “the Lord hates a coward”.
    ————————————-