For a news media obsessed about the progeny of the Republican vice presidential nominee, you’d think they’d do some sleuthing around in the affairs of the Democratic presidential nominee.
The mainstream media ruthlessly and endlessly repeat any McCain gaffes while ignoring Obama gaffes. You have to go to weird little Web sites to see all the stammering and stuttering that Obama needs before getting out a sentence fragment or two. But all you see on the networks is an eventually clear sentence from Obama. You don’t see Obama’s ludicrous gaffe that Iran is a tiny country and no threat to us. Nor his 57 American states gaffe. Nor his forgetting, if he ever knew, that Russia has a veto in the U.N. Nor his whining and puerile “come on” when he is being challenged. This is the kind of editing one would expect from Goebbels’ disciples, not Cronkite’s.
If the MSM were truly interested in reporting the news, we might see the media doing the following:
- Citing efforts by John McCain & other Republicans to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in order to prevent a meltdown like the one taking place now on Wall Street.
- Asking why Democrats led by Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd thwarted those reform efforts.
- Reporting that Obama was one of the top recipient’s of Fannie Mae largesse.
- Pointing out that Obama has run more negative ads than has John McCain and has misrepresented (i.e., lied about) John McCain’s record in many of them (as well as in his stump speeches).
- Probing Barack Obama misrepresentations of his relationship with unrepentant terrorist Bill Ayers. [UPDATE: Peter Kirsanow writes that the “attempt to cover-up the extent of Sen. Obama’s ties to William Ayers should have journalists salivating. This is a big story that, so far, the press seems determined to avoid.“]
- Investigating that relationship.
- Making as much ruckus ties between a PR firm with ties to Democratic Party and anti-Palin “hit” videos as they did about ties between Karl Rove and the Swift Boat Veterans in 2004.
- Covering the ethics problems of Democratic House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charlie Rangel. (Okay, okay, I realize this isn’t related to Obama, bt it’s a big story which hurts the Democrats and which the MSM is all but ignoring.)
These stories would help Americans get a better picture of the Democratic nominee, so that we might better choose the right man to preside over this nation for the next four years.
Please me know if you think there are other stories which the media should be reporting and, if appropriate, I’ll add them to the list.
UPDATE: Other stories the media should cover about Obama-Biden:
- Requesting that Biden release more than one year of his earmark requests.
- Exploring why Obama hasn’t released “paperwork related to grants to distributed by then-state-legislator Obama (records from 1997 to 2000 aren’t available); his state legislative office records (which he says may have been thrown out); . . . a specific list of law clients.” (Jim Geraghty has more questions at that link.)
- Exposing his threats to TV stations which run ads critical of him.
- Asking him how his campaign succeeded in removing all the names from the Democratic primary ballot in his first bid for state Senate.
- Looking into his relationship with the radical group ACORN.
- Pointing out the former Fannie Mae chairman Jim Johnson still plays a “behind-the-scenes role” in the Obama campaign.
- Asking Obama if he did anything to prevent his campaign’s national finance chair fromÂ allowing religious leaders to fete “world’s leading Islamic terrorist and Jew-hater” in a hotel she owns.