Why Are Educated People So Ignorant about Sarah Palin?

Once again I express amazement at what supposedly enlightened people know about Sarah Palin.

Here, you have a woman with a record of reform.  And all her adversaries know is that she didn’t do well in an interview with Katie Couric, she was a member of the Alaska Independence Party (not true), she wants creationism taught in public schools (again not true) and she tried to have books banned in 1996 (she just inquired about removing them, but never brought up the subject again while Mayor of Wasilla).

If we applied their standards for judging Sarah Palin to their preferred presidential candidate, we would see Barack Obama as a man who lacks an American birth certificate, was once a member of a Socialist Party, pals around with America-hating extremists and wants to teach radical ideas to school children while banning books critical of Islam so as not to disparage his Muslim faith.

The question remains:  why are educated people so unwilling to educate themselves about the Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States?  Why do they trust Internet rumors, rely on since-corrected news stories, constantly reference 12-year-old mistakes and dwell on a bad interview?

They would crticize us mercilessly if we judged Barack Obama as they do Sarah Palin.  And they’d be right.

1. Peggy Noonan has written yet another attack on Sarah Palin.

I wrote this response to the Wall St Journal.. I hope they post it

I just want to give a sarcastic, “Thank you” to Ms. Noonan, who I used to read religiously until she acquired BDS in 2004… I want to sarcastically agree with her main premise.. that only the most polished, refined, sophisticated, wordsmithy , educated, and elitist are of the proper caliber to be in control of the Federal Government of the United States.

Why look at the marvelous job they have done so far. The real national debt is what $60 Trillion now?

The Gifted Ones in the Democratic Party act as if we’re still in 1968 and totally deny that the West is faced with a mortal threat from resurgent Islam. No , instead, this party has allowed itself to be controlled by radical America-Hating Marxists. But they give really good Press Conferences apparently, so the fact that they hate everything about the traditions of this country is no big deal. How could Gov Palin ever be expected to match the unquestioned competence of someone like Nancy Pelosi who said that the US must end its reliance on Foreign Oil and thus she had no intention to allow Off-Shore drilling . Clearly the Hockey Mom is deluded if she thinks herself equal with these great clear-thinking leaders.

The Oh-So-Civic-And-Better-Than-That Republicans are really good at giving lip service that they acknowledge all the serious systemic problems our nation faces but yet when it comes to ensuring that they have the authority and power to do anything about actually fixing them… well .. that would require a spine and backbone. That would require actually proposing Bills to advance their agenda. We can’t have.. it will be too partisan.. and the media will be mean to them. And when the media is mean to them, it’s very important to run away from the public microphone and hide under beds because clearly the policies they support somehow magically promote themselves. The American People don’t ever have to hear anyone actually try to promote these ideas… that would be absurd. We all know that the American People will see through constant media messages that call Republicans liars , corrupt, etc… We know that the People will magically ignore the non-stop efforts to delegitimaize the entire conservative program. No one from the Republican Party should ever been seen talking publicly in support of those ideas. So the Party that purports to understand we’re in an age of brutal war against religious zealots.. that our govt debt is going to collapse the economy, that education is so bad in this country that more and more people would rather we be like EUtopia than America.. a party that understands that everything is at risk… and so during the 6 years they had to do ANY THING about it.. they instead presided over a pre-Supernova-like expansion of that big ball of gas in DC. The dying Star was made bigger and bigger than ever before, and then in face of an obvious coordinated attack by the media and democrats in 2006 to paint them as corrupt and unworthy to lead.. THEY AGREED! They agreed that they were wholly undeserving and despite knowing everything this country faces.. let the Democrats take over Congress.

How dare Sarah Palin enter this world. How dare she think that she can hold a candle up to these smart people running things.

So thanks Noonan… thank you once again for demonizing the only one in this race that I actually like. The person who warms my heart and gives me hope that SOMEONE might actually get near the DC Death Star and throw the Emperor down the shaft (Note: by Emperor i mean the system.. not President Bush)

When I watch Ms Palin on the trail. I actually smile. Maybe Noonan’s right.. real Americans do not belong in our Capital… don’t want to make everyone else there look bad.

Comment by Vince P — October 17, 2008 @ 2:22 am - October 17, 2008

2. Vince, as a self-professed Peggy fan, her column is most disappointing. She writes, conservatives “bitterly attacked those who came to stand against the Bush administration.”

Did we?

I have found some of the best criticism of the Bush Administration on conservative blogs and in conservative journals including the very National Review she so disparages.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — October 17, 2008 @ 2:31 am - October 17, 2008

3. Peggy started to attack Bush the day after his 2nd term inaugural. She took a lot of criticism from conservatives.

Comment by Vince P — October 17, 2008 @ 2:43 am - October 17, 2008

4. Yuri Bezmenovby onmyway02

Comment by Vince P — October 17, 2008 @ 2:49 am - October 17, 2008

5. The Time Bomb is ticking in the United States and there’s nowhere to defect to!

A video by a KGB defector that must be seen.

Comment by Vince P — October 17, 2008 @ 2:53 am - October 17, 2008

6. [...] Read about it here. [...]

Pingback by Why Are Educated People So Ignorant about Sarah Palin? « Gay Reading — October 17, 2008 @ 4:24 am - October 17, 2008

7. Your post sounds like a campaign ad. Since Republicans don’t have anything positive to run on, you’re left with smear talking points and comparisons between apples and oranges. Clearly most Americans have grown tired of Republicans, their cuckoo base, and their Joe the Plumber plants and it is likely that Republicans are going to have it handed to them on November 4th. I’ve got my popcorn already.

Comment by fnln — October 17, 2008 @ 7:29 am - October 17, 2008

8. Off-Topic: Illegal votes from ACORN registered ‘voters’ have been cast. Can we now stop with the nonsense that it’s no big deal because “it’s jut voter registration fraud, not really vote fraud.”

Comment by V the K — October 17, 2008 @ 8:16 am - October 17, 2008

9. Back on-topic. The left elite hates people who won’t quietly fit the stereotypes the left has constructed for them. If you’re Sarah Palin, you’re supposed to be a day-care worker, or maybe a cashier, but not a governor or a vice president. If you’re gay, you’re supposed to be funny, know a lot about theater, and quiver in fear that the Religious Right is out to exterminate you. If you’re a blue-collar worker, you’re supposed to belong to a union and vote for your elite, Democrat betters who will take care of you.

Now, they’re saying Joe Wurzelbacher is a Republican “plant.” I have three questions:

1. How did Karl Rove arrange it so that the Obamassiah walked right up to the plant at his home, and started talkng to him?

2. How did the “Republican plant” trick the Obamassiah into answering a question with pure, uncut Marxist drivel?

3. Does it hurt to be so stupid?

Comment by V the K — October 17, 2008 @ 8:31 am - October 17, 2008

10. If Sara Palin and McCain don’t win, I will actively campaign for her and her running mate in ’12. She is a breath of fresh air and just what we need. My little old Lesbian heart thinks she’s a doll too, and if she needs a body guard, I’m there.

Any truth to the rumor that Obama was adopted by his Indonesian step-father, thus making him ineligible for the Presidency as he would have to be Naturalized here?

Comment by Libertygal — October 17, 2008 @ 9:36 am - October 17, 2008

11. Why Are Educated People So Ignorant about Sarah Palin?

It’s not that they are ignorant. It’s that they *want* to believe garbage.

Why? It makes them feel good. It comes down to the fact that Palin is these things… same as Bush:

1) Sincerely religious. (As opposed to Leftist faux-religious.)
    2) Sincerely pro-American. (As opposed to Leftist faux…)
    3) Pro-military.
    4) Pro-life.

Those things have a way of going together, but if you are any of them, then secular “educated” people *feel threatened by you* and gladly believe complete crap about you. They feel threatened. That’s the key.

Bush and Palin are all four. I am only the middle two, but even I have run into a little bit of the syndrome from people who ought to know a lot better. For example, a woman I’m close to, who is a good person other than her irrationality on anything political, persistently believes I am a rabid cheerleader for Bush – even though (a) I never have been, and (b) I have often voiced my deep concern and distaste for Bush’s domestic policies in her presence. The key is that I have never validated (or joined in) her feeling threatened by Bush and believing nutty crap about him.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 17, 2008 @ 9:44 am - October 17, 2008

12. First they came for the hockey moms, and I didn’t speak up because I was not a hockey mom.

Then, they came for the plumbers, and I didn’t speak up because I was not a plumber.

Then, they came for the talk radio hosts, and I didn’t speak up because I was not a talk radio host.

Then, they came for the right-wing bloggers…

Oh… crap!

Comment by V the K — October 17, 2008 @ 10:10 am - October 17, 2008

13. Here is a small example. During the VP debate, Palin said how her mom was a teacher and she loved teachers, and gave a shout-out to a certain Alaskan 3rd-grade class who were watching for extra credit. Wonderful. Cute moment. Now, at the lunch table the other day, the guy across from me mocked Palin (as pathetic and ridiculous – you get the idea) because of the way she allegedly “thanked a bunch of third graders for helping her with her debate prep!!!” He got the story wrong.

This is an otherwise-intelligent, nice guy. He is also a moderate secular leftist. I can only conclude that he *wanted* to get it wrong; that he *preferred* to believe/repeat the worst; that it felt good to him. “Too good to check”, from his standpoint.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 17, 2008 @ 10:29 am - October 17, 2008

14. After the initial choice of Pailn as VP, I was one who defended her against some of the stupid smears. I was one who looked into her experience as an executive, with no preconceptions. I dismissed all of the stupid attacks involving her family. Though I have not read Noonan’s latest, I also have come to the conclusion that Palin is not a good choice for VP.

I would hazard to venture that Noonan has done a lot more leg work and fact finding on the subject of Palin than most, likely more than most here on this blog, myself included. And based on that research she has come to a different conclusion about Palin than you have. Please do not confuse a difference of opinion with ignorance.

Thanks.

Comment by sonicfrog — October 17, 2008 @ 11:17 am - October 17, 2008

15. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the – Web Reconnaissance for 10/17/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day…so check back often.

Comment by David M — October 17, 2008 @ 11:31 am - October 17, 2008

16. Rush said it best, the nags (as he calls the feminist movement) was created to level the playing field for ugly women. Sarah is anything but ugly – on on top of not being a liberal she is pretty and she flaunts it! No pants suits for her – show those legs!

ILC, lol, I heard a very similar comment from another woman the other day. She was furious that Sarah dared wink during her debate. How unprofessional. How dare she be so human! And all this woman in her 70s’ could do was rant about abortion.
    It saddens me that for so many women – the major accomplishment of women is the ability to kill their unborn children. I always thought our great strength was creating life – shows you how uninformed I am.

Comment by Leah — October 17, 2008 @ 11:38 am - October 17, 2008

17. Since Republicans don’t have anything positive to run on, you’re left with smear talking points and comparisons between apples and oranges.

Which is, of course, why the only thing the Obamamessiah can do is attempt to smear people who ask him questions.

Republicans have many positive things to run on, and Joe the Plumber outlined them. This is a great country, with numerous opportunities for those who want to work hard regardless of their skin color, and government’s job is to support them and get the hell out of the way as they succeed.

In Obama’s world, those who succeed must be punished, those who achieve great things must have them taken away and given to those who don’t, and those who dare question the first two must be destroyed. Obama thinks nothing of screaming that a woman who opposes him faked her own pregnancy and child’s birth, or that said woman’s husband is having incestuous sex with their daughters. That is the whole gist of the campaign for him, and that is all he offers.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 17, 2008 @ 12:35 pm - October 17, 2008

18. Propogating the misconceptions about her record and painting her as a caricature serve the interests of those seeking to elect Barack Obama. It’s really as simple as that. It’s as clear a demonstration as any of what the left has become – put people into boxes and stereotype them. God forbid you try to step out of your box, you will be crucified.

Comment by DaveO — October 17, 2008 @ 12:44 pm - October 17, 2008

19. Her politics aren’t so troubling. To the contrary, on paper is she is commendable. But, the fact that she has ambitions to help run this country and seems to lack coherence on key issues is especially disturbing. Nothing personal.

Comment by Kicker — October 17, 2008 @ 1:19 pm - October 17, 2008

20. God forbid you try to step out of your box, you will be crucified.

But what we’re doing here is not much different – “Why Are Educated People So Ignorant about Sarah Palin?”

Comment by sonicfrog — October 17, 2008 @ 1:51 pm - October 17, 2008

21. I don’t see your point, sonic. An educated person should want to seek and understand the truth, not choose to believe only that which confirms her own prejudices. An educated person should not accept a twisted, inaccurate smear against Sarah Palin as fact merely to justify their dislike of her.

The inability to think critically defines the difference between educated and indoctrinated.

Comment by V the K — October 17, 2008 @ 3:06 pm - October 17, 2008

22. The so called educated people are ignorant of Sarah Palin because they do not think she is qualified to be vice president. What those folk do not realize is the fact their party has dumbed down this election.

For the first time in history, both parties have affirmative action candidates on the ticket, so naturally the qualifications for candidates running have been dumbed down.

However the big difference is that the Republican’s affirmative action candidate is running for the vice president’s position while the Democrat’s is at the top of their ticket.

She is as qualified to be vice president as Barack Obama is to be President.

Comment by LCRW — October 17, 2008 @ 3:25 pm - October 17, 2008

23. An educated person should want to seek and understand the truth, not choose to believe only that which confirms her own prejudices. An educated person should not accept a twisted, inaccurate smear against Sarah Palin as fact merely to justify their dislike of her.

Let’s put the shoe on the other foot. An educated person should want to seek and understand the truth, not choose to believe only that which confirms her own prejudices. An educated person should not accept twisted, inaccurate biased puff pieces boosting Sarah Palin’s qualifications as fact merely to justify their support of her candidacy.

LCRW pretty much hits the nail on the head.

…the big difference is that the Republican’s affirmative action candidate is running for the vice president’s position while the Democrat’s is at the top of their ticket.

She is as qualified to be vice president as Barack Obama is to be President.

Republicans keep comparing Palin to Reagan or Thatcher, and it pains me. Not only did each have, through years of personal research and development, a very firm understanding of the issues of the day, but both had far, far more political and hands-on experience by the time they got to the apex of their political careers.

So many here, people I consider friends and, normally, kindred spirits, have some serious blinders on this issue. I’m not going to go over the litany of shortcomings again; it’s on my blog if you care to take a look.

Some are so desperate to create a mythical visage of Palin as something more than she is. I haven’t seen this kind of desperation since I was trying to lose my virginity!!!!

(and yes, I’ve been waiting all afternoon to type that)

Comment by sonicfrog — October 17, 2008 @ 6:44 pm - October 17, 2008

24. Peggy Noonan says it all. As does Kathleen Parker. Palin is a dope and unqualified. Simple as that.

Comment by jimmy — October 17, 2008 @ 7:48 pm - October 17, 2008

25. An educated person should not accept twisted, inaccurate biased puff pieces boosting Sarah Palin’s qualifications as fact merely to justify their support of her candidacy.

Is that what I am being accused of?

I did not want Sarah Palin to be the vice-presidential nominee. I thought she had work to finish in Alaska before she was ready for national office. But I don’t deny that she is an admirable woman and a stand-up dame. And I’ll take her old-fashioned common sense over the learned opinions of the experts any time.

Comment by V the K — October 17, 2008 @ 7:51 pm - October 17, 2008

26. After all, it was experts educated at the Ivy League who gave us the mortgage fiasco and the subsequent bailout.

sarcasm-on

OK, the smart people screwed up, so lets get stupid people to run the country for a while!!!

sarcasm-off

Look, I think Palin is a capable politician. I don’t give a damn where she was educated. I know some very smart people who never went to college. She seems to have done a good job as governor of a state with a population less than Fresno county… for two years.

Allan Autry (yes Bubba from “Heat of the Night”) is the mayor of Fresno, which has a population twenty times larger than Wasilla, and isn’t much smaller population wise than Alaska. He managed not only to ruffle the feathers of the political establishment, but also balanced the budget, leaving a $4 mil surplus after his eight year in office ends in January. He has proven himself to be more than capable, but he’s certainly doesn’t have the experience and depth that it takes to be the chief executive of the United States. As I have said, if Palin had showed me more in the interviews, and given more interviews, I could look past her thin resume and be in her camp. But she failed to do so, so I have to fall back on her experience, which sorry, isn’t nearly enough to give confidence for a job with the demands of the President.

It’s sad that both parties are willing to except so little of their candidates.

Comment by sonicfrog — October 17, 2008 @ 9:32 pm - October 17, 2008

27. rescue me

Comment by sonicfrog — October 17, 2008 @ 9:35 pm - October 17, 2008

28. I have another take on the Sarah book banner meme that libs latch onto like a crutch. What if then Mayor Palin asked the librarian about the possibility of book banning, and what the librarian would do, not from the perspective that Mayor Palin was looking to ban books from the library, but to see that the librarian would indeed resist pressure to ban books if others sought to do so. I see nothing in Gov Palin’s background or actions that show she is anti intellectual or that she is afraid of books or knowledge. Her family is filled with teachers and she appears to have a great regard for teaching and learning. Banning books is not consistent with such a background but making sure the librarian would keep an open exchange of ideas, would be consistent with Gov. Palin’s background.
    As to why libs like to trash Gov Palin, first liberalism is a disease that comes attendant with elitism and arrogance and antipathy to faith in God, and a desire for Government to replace God in the hearts and minds of the citizenry. Gov Palin, has the traditional expression of public service being under God, not over God, and that rankles liberals who believe their actions should go unchecked by conscience or God/Divinity. Gov Palin also has an accent, and not a European accent, but a western accent. That leads libs to jump on their high horse, someone with a western accent obviously didn’t go to the right schools, not part of the in crowd. She is the OTHER, the unknown, foreign, and the liberal antibodies (media) attacks such an invader. Thus the cut and splice jobs on Palin by Gibson and Couric (you could see the knives in Couric’s eyes throughout the interview) in their interviews. McCain still trusts the mainstream media too much for his own good. He should have had his own videotapers of these interviews so that he could post the unedited versions to show the maliciousness and lack of integrity of these interviewers.
    As for Gov Palin, she is giving interviews to the press pool every day, but the press isn’t reporting it because it would cast a good light on Gov Palin, and that’s not allowed unless and until she and McCain ‘lose’ the election to the lightworker.
    I trust Gov Palin’s instincts better than Obama’s and Biden’s combined. I think she will be great as VP and with several months or years in that office will be first rate Presidential material, whereas Barry and Biden will never be first rate (Biden had thirty years to mature and become wise and failed and Barry has too many radical ideas in his heart of hearts from his forty years of associations with the most radical elements of US society to ever be a decent President).

Comment by eaglewingz08 — October 20, 2008 @ 9:34 pm - October 20, 2008

29. [...] at least three recent (and one forthcoming) posts on Sarah Palin, I have addressed (and will consider) the amazing [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Holding Joe Biden to the Sarah Palin Standard — October 21, 2008 @ 5:09 pm - October 21, 2008

30. [...] have little or no knowledge of her record.  I’m stunned at her critics indifference to that record. One reader who slammed me for my support of the Alaska Governor included this in her [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » My nutshell position on Sarah Palin — October 26, 2008 @ 6:01 pm - October 26, 2008