McCain Increased Gay Vote Margin for GOP

Here’s some bright news for Republicans…. McCain brought in more gay votes than President Bush.  Patrick Sammon, Log Cabin Republican President sent out this email yesterday:

Losing hurts. There’s no way to sugarcoat it. We’re disappointed Sen. McCain lost.  We’re heartbroken Proposition 8 seems to have passed in California along with anti-marriage amendments in Florida and Arizona & a gay adoption ban in Arkansas.  And we’re sorry to see several Log Cabin allies lose their re-election campaign. But there is some good news from the election and there’s an opportunity for Log Cabin members to help build a new Republican majority.

Exit polls show Sen. John McCain received at least 1.3 million votes from gay and lesbian Americans—more than any other Republican Presidential candidate has ever received.  He garnered 27% of the LGBT vote, an increase from 19% support for President Bush four years ago.

According to the CNN exit polls, 4% of the American electorate self-identified as gay or lesbian.  That means about 4.8 million gays and lesbians voted on Tuesday.  That seems rather low and pathetic to me from a community that is so self-politicized.  Oh well.

And so McCain got 27% of the gay vote, or 1,310,893.  Up nearly 20% over 2004.  I like to think there are a lot of GayPatriot readers in that bunch.

We Gay Conservatives did our part on the Stop the Obama Express!  It was all of the other demographic groups that crapped out, apparently.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. The LCR prez wrote:

along with anti-marriage amendments in Florida and Arizona

To the best of my knowledge, the amendment in Arizona represents a partial victory for us, at least if you’re willing to look at it in the right spirit. In 2006, social conservatives in Arizona tried to pass a marriage amendment similar to the one that Virginia passed the same year, and that Florida passed just a few days ago — an amendment that effectively banned “civil unions” and “domestic partnerships,” along with “same-sex marriage” using the M-word. While that sweeping ban was endorsed by voters in VA and FL, Arizona voters rejected it in 2006.

And the amendment that passed a few days ago in AZ had been dramatically narrowed in its scope — defining “marriage” as “one man, one woman,” but saying nothing at all about “substantial equivalents thereof.” Which means, if I’m not mistaken, that CU and DP laws are still viable options in Arizona, because soc-cons there failed in their attempt to ban them.

That’s something to take heart in (and also, perhaps, to draw a lesson from about best strategies).

Comment by Throbert McGee — November 7, 2008 @ 8:32 am - November 7, 2008

2. Well seeing that now that the Dems control everything, and might even throw out Norm Coleman and Saxby Chambliss, you’d think now is the time to pay back all those hard working Gays who gave them so much money and time.

As Ann Althouse says: http://althouse.blogspot.com/2008/11/shouldmustwill-democrats-repeal-doma.html

This would be a vital step that Democrats could take quickly and easily. But are they likely to do so? No, because they’re not stupid and they want to stay in power.

Which means, you better find a other reason to vote for the Dems, especially since here in CA it was the Democratic vote that doomed Prop. 8.

Comment by Leah — November 7, 2008 @ 12:06 pm - November 7, 2008

3. Throbert,

some of us social conservatives have been championing DP legislation for some time now

Comment by The Livewire — November 7, 2008 @ 12:25 pm - November 7, 2008

4. Well said Bruce.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 7, 2008 @ 4:26 pm - November 7, 2008

5. Interesting statistics. But didn’t Bush garner 25% of the gay vote in 2000? One could see the 2004 gay vote as an aberration because of the FMA and McCain’s 27% as a return to pre-FMA levels, albeit with a very slight increase.

Comment by Erik — November 7, 2008 @ 5:09 pm - November 7, 2008

6. Yes, Erik. You are correct and I would agree with your conclusion.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — November 7, 2008 @ 6:22 pm - November 7, 2008

7. I’m amazed that 25-27% of us voted for McCain. I feel like I’m surrounded almost entirely of liberal democratic gay men. I guess like me, they tend to keep a pretty low profile – I’ve been hounded in public on more than one occasion.

Comment by Steve Ferre — November 7, 2008 @ 7:12 pm - November 7, 2008

8. Don’t kid yourselves guys. Republicans ain’t with you. I’m a straight guy and I’ve rounded up a ton of my straight friends to go to the No on 8 rally tonight in San Francisco. Blame this on the Democrats all you want – but not one Republicans is standing by your side tonight.

Comment by Mark — November 7, 2008 @ 7:48 pm - November 7, 2008

9. Classy, Mark, really classy. Also untrue.

Comment by Tim — November 7, 2008 @ 9:33 pm - November 7, 2008

10. Mark, do you think that anyone here is foolish enough to believe you. After 86 years I can spot a phony story whenever I see it.

Comment by John W — November 8, 2008 @ 1:49 am - November 8, 2008

11. One of these days a republican will come along who I will vote for. One who is fiscally conservative, not so damn hawkish, reasonably pro-choice ( I don’t believe in killing live babies and see no problem with parental notification), and believes all people gay and straight have a right to marry and are reasonably free of discrimination. I could care less whom he prays to or if he prays at all, color..don’t care, man or woman..don’t care…religion…christian, muslim, hindu…don’t give a s@#t. Until then I cannot vote for a republican party who doesn’t want me and appears to be growing more white, southern and evangelical. It is now a regional party, and although I live in OKlahoma it doesn’t feel welcoming to me.

Comment by Dave — November 8, 2008 @ 8:20 am - November 8, 2008

12. @John W and Tim: don’t doubt the motives of others. I was at the Civic Center at 5:30 yesterday with my girlfriend and two of my friends (I suppose that’s not a ton; tough to organize on short notice, I guess, and others had their own groups). We marched to the Castro and on to Dolores Park. I’m the tallest so I carried our sign the entire way: “No Hate in my state.”

I won’t claim to have stood in front of a polling station on Tuesday with a ‘No on 8′ sign, but my three friends did. There are lots of straight people in California (at least those in my demographic: ~30, Democrat) who are really angry at this outcome.

Republicans? They’ll take your vote, but they don’t care.

Comment by Mark — November 8, 2008 @ 11:24 am - November 8, 2008

13. Notice the narcissism of Mark and his fellow leftists; let’s tie up San Francisco traffic on Friday night at 5:30 PM, right when everyone is eager to get home to their families and start the weekend, so that we can pitch one of our little fits and get all sorts of TV coverage.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 8, 2008 @ 3:44 pm - November 8, 2008

14. Thanks, you guys. Sorry I didn’t do better with the tournament bridge contingent (Warren Buffett going for Obama….)

Comment by Peg — November 8, 2008 @ 6:47 pm - November 8, 2008

15. Part of that was because Obama didn’t reach out to gay activists, I’ve read.

Comment by Mitchell Blatt — November 8, 2008 @ 7:32 pm - November 8, 2008

16. Andrew Sullivan says, L-e-s-b-y-u-n-s voted for McCain because they liked Palin’s rack.

Comment by V the K — November 8, 2008 @ 8:10 pm - November 8, 2008

17. And Sully voted for Obama cus blacks have bigger schlongs. Certainly makes more sense than calling Obama the real conservative in the race. I think Sully is projecting again.

Comment by American Elephant — November 8, 2008 @ 8:45 pm - November 8, 2008

18. I’m the tallest so I carried our sign the entire way: “No Hate in my state.”

What a great idea! That would get all the libs out of California and turn it red again!

Comment by American Elephant — November 8, 2008 @ 8:48 pm - November 8, 2008

19. I saw the exit pollsters and swooped in to volunteer to fill this out! It made me very happy to be included in the data. It makes me happy to know that not every place had an exit poll either, thus there are even more of us than stated. This gives me HOPE…that there is someone datable out there!!!

Comment by E.N. — November 9, 2008 @ 1:13 am - November 9, 2008

20. [...] 27% de homosexuales votaron por McCain. Como recuerda Gay Patriot, esto es un 20% más que en 2004. Al menos entre un grupo de votantes McCain mejoró los [...]

Pingback by Curiosidades de las encuestas a pie de urna « Sarah Palin en Español — November 9, 2008 @ 7:12 pm - November 9, 2008

21. [...] intelligent to say about why gays were the only demographic where McCain did significantly better than did George W. Bush four years [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why McCain did Better Among Gays — November 9, 2008 @ 9:12 pm - November 9, 2008

22. Sad that McCain lost, and dismayed that Prop 8 won. Can’t even guess what orifice you crackers have your heads inserted into.

Comment by tedpikul — November 10, 2008 @ 4:23 pm - November 10, 2008

23. Notice the narcissism of Mark and his fellow leftists; let’s tie up San Francisco traffic on Friday night at 5:30 PM, right when everyone is eager to get home to their families and start the weekend, so that we can pitch one of our little fits and get all sorts of TV coverage. Tell you what, Mark; go find someone else’s cause, and stop tying gay people to your need to make a public spectacle.

Wow. I can’t even imagine what kind of twisted logic leads to comments like that.

The people marching in San Francisco were overwhelmingly homosexual. One of our many openly-gay city supervisors got the march approved with city agencies.

I showed up to show my support for something I believe in even though there are many (likely including people on this site who just lost their right to marry) who would argue that it is of no consequence to my life.

I think that’s the antithesis of narcissism.

Enjoy the Republican party. They’ll soon kick you out…Hopefully you won’t have alienated the Democrats too.

Comment by Mark — November 12, 2008 @ 4:54 pm - November 12, 2008

24. [...] Learn more here. [...]

Pingback by McCain Increased Gay Vote Margin for GOP « Gay Reading — December 25, 2008 @ 5:24 am - December 25, 2008

25. [...] I belatedly found a GayPatriot post from last week, quoting the Log Cabin Republicans as saying that McCain got about 27% of the LGBT [...]

Pingback by McCain Gets More Gay Votes Than Bush | All That Is Necessary... — November 10, 2009 @ 7:45 am - November 10, 2009