Sammon to Step Down as Head of Log Cabin

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 12:19 pm - November 13, 2008.
Filed under: Log Cabin Republicans

After barely two years as head of Log Cabin, Patrick Sammon announced today that he will be stepping down early next year:

After five years at this organization and more than two years leading Log Cabin, I am ready to tackle new challenges. I’ll be doing documentary filmmaking, which is what I did before joining Log Cabin’s staff. . . . I told Log Cabin’s national board earlier this year I would be moving on after the election. I’m proud of the progress we’ve made and I know Log Cabin is well positioned to impact the GOP’s future direction.

I agree with Log Cabin National Board Chairman Pete Kingma who, in thanking Patrick “for the excellent job he has done” cited the outgoing leader’s “communication ability and political skills.”

Of the three heads of Log Cabin, Patrick was by far the most approachable. He returned calls and e-mails regularly and listened to his critics in stark contrast to the two previous executives of the organization. He recognized that those who criticized the organization were not his (or the organization’s enemies). ┬áIn short, he listened.

And more than those two individuals, he made clear his partisan affiliation and his support for the broad principles of the Republican Party. He truly sought a place for the gays within the GOP.

More than anything, I will appreciate his kindness and good nature. The National Board is going to have a tough time filling his shoes.

1. This news surprised and disturbed me. I hope you find out and report on whether or not there are reasons beyond an itch to resume making documentaries. (Log Cabin pays much better than most beginning filmmakers can hope for.) I’m concerned that this may be the first sign that Log Cabin will retreat into obscurity during the Obama administration. If this is the case, I will stop my donations immediately. The organization should very quickly outline and present their goals for the next four years. Please follow this story.

PS Wish you bury the hatchet with Tafel. He has always been extremely friendly to me, although I never met him during his Log Cabin days.

Comment by MikeInSedona — November 13, 2008 @ 3:43 pm - November 13, 2008

2. I’ll take the job, even though I’m “independent”.

Although I have not followed the specifics of Sammon’s term, I have always thought that LCR needed some guts.

My political independence allows me to opine on both sides of the fence — if I were so inclined or if anyone would listen.

Indeed, now is the time that we cannot be lax with respect to the approaching regime. With O’Hussy intent on defining marriage so that we cannot get rights (not that it matters — I just want the SS benefits to go to my partner of 25 years) AND his intent to levy higher taxes on singles (that’s us), we can’t be docile wallflowers. Not that I’ve ever been particularly vocal about it all, but when people do ask me about the state of the world, my responses tend to be well founded.

I pray that whoever takes Sammon’s place has the wherewithall to stand firm and be clear to the powers that be.

Comment by Leonidas — November 13, 2008 @ 6:01 pm - November 13, 2008

3. Congratulations to Patrick Sammon on a job very well done! Good luck to him in the future. Log Cabin will have a hard time finding as good a spokesman.

Comment by American Elephant — November 13, 2008 @ 6:08 pm - November 13, 2008

4. I hope Patrick will stay long-enough to cover the Obama honeymoon-period. If the new regime proposes gay-friendly legislation on DADT, DOMA or ENDA during the first 100-days, we really need an effective gay GOP voice…like the LCR…on the Hill to tamp-down the reactionaries within the Party. With 27% of the G/L community having supported the GOP-ticket this time, and no major “gay” social-issues currently in dispute at-present, there should be some political-capital available to influence and educate.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 13, 2008 @ 6:39 pm - November 13, 2008

5. I suggest that we work locally and within the states. Help raise a new generation of future federal congress critters and future governors. Help allies and gay republicans get elected.

Comment by matt from california — November 13, 2008 @ 11:42 pm - November 13, 2008

6. At last year’s Equality Forum, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Patrick during the EF’s National Politics Panel. It’s a shame that Log Cabin is losing such a bright guy. Looking toward the future, though, maybe the next president will take hate-crimes legislation off of LCR’s agenda. LCR is, after all, a Republican group. None of this “us, too!” bullcrap. Leave the identity politics to the liberals.

Comment by Brendan In Philly — November 14, 2008 @ 10:51 pm - November 14, 2008

7. Maybe he resigned because it was discovered he was gay…
    So many Republicans are losing their positions that way these days…

Comment by JR — November 17, 2008 @ 10:24 am - November 17, 2008

8. JR,
    I’m glad they let liberal arts majors post here.They make one feel soooo superior

Comment by corwin — November 17, 2008 @ 8:59 pm - November 17, 2008

9. When the Log Cabin Republicans endorse McCain-Palin, but the only place on the McCain website gays were mentioned was to assure us that the team didn’t support gay marriage, what can I say? McCain did find room on his website for Lebanese-Americans for McCain, Nascar Fans for McCain, etc., etc.

Comment by JR — November 18, 2008 @ 11:09 am - November 18, 2008

10. […] As Dan reported a few days ago, Log Cabin Republican President Patrick Sammon has announced he is leaving his post at the national gay Republican organization after two years. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Log Cabin Republicans On Its Last Leg? — November 20, 2008 @ 7:16 am - November 20, 2008