On Buying My First Microwave

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 6:54 pm - November 24, 2008.
Filed under: Random Thoughts

I jut returned from Target where for the first time in my life, I bought a microwave oven.  It’s not that I’ve been without.  It’s just that for as long as I’ve been living on my own in the U.S., I’ve been using the vintage 1970s Amana Radarange my Dad gave me after he and his wife remodeled their kitchen.

I’d been reluctant to part with this appliance, one of the first microwaves mass-produced for household use.  But, when a friend warned me that old microwave ovens leak radiation, I’d been considering getting a new one for some time, only I didn’t know which one to get.

Finally, something dawned on me.  And it’s that something that spurred me to post on this.  Until my current microwave began to show signs of age–it was no longer effective at popping popcorn–I had been perfectly satisfied with it.  I never shopped for this thing.  Hadn’t tried to find the perfect model.  I just found it in my Dad’s storage room.

So, I realized that as long as I got a decent oven, it wouldn’t really matter which bells and whistles came with the new model, just so at least 1,100 watts of power.  (I had read on some package recently that I would need at least that wattage to completely heat up the product contained therein.)

The long and the short of this little discourse is this:  as long as the product worked, I’d get used to the new model. And I shouldn’t fret so much on getting the ideal oven. I just needed a good one.

So, I just hope this new one works. It certainly looks cool on my countertop.  And takes up less space.

Now, what to do with the old one?

1. You know, that’s funny.
    I’ve been using an old toaster oven that I *think* may in fact be older than I am. We’re both 1970′s models, as you say. :) My grandmother gave the thing to me a few years ago when I bought my first place. She passed away this year, and it’s a reminder of her everytime I see it.
    The thing is old, and a bit scary that it’s still ticking, but damn if that thing isn’t still working. Could I go out and buy some $150 new bread-bagel-waffle making fancy thing? Yep. Do I need one? Nope. Grandma’s old one does me just fine.

Comment by torrentprime — November 24, 2008 @ 8:31 pm - November 24, 2008

2. Welcome to the 21st century but don’t put your testicles (or your other balls – eyes) too close to the microwave. Just kidding.

Comment by Patrick Joubert Conlon — November 24, 2008 @ 9:00 pm - November 24, 2008

3. torrentprime, I’ll bet that if that one stopped working, you could take it apart and fix it, too. Can’t do that too easily with the new ones.

Dan – hopefully your local government has some sort of disposal location! I imagine old microwaves are probably full of stuff that shouldn’t end up in a landfill.

Or….you could use as a decorative object. :-P

Comment by Mike — November 24, 2008 @ 9:04 pm - November 24, 2008

4. i was really hoping that this story was a political metaphor, perhaps about the Clintons.

I guess not.

Pity.

Comment by Leonidas — November 24, 2008 @ 9:16 pm - November 24, 2008

5. If it’s still working, donate it somewhere. Re-use!

Comment by Uncle Ralph — November 24, 2008 @ 9:42 pm - November 24, 2008

6. Now, what to do with the old one?

If it’s leaking radiation, I suggest you donate it to Al Qaeda.

Comment by David J — November 24, 2008 @ 11:50 pm - November 24, 2008

7. No, no. Take it apart and use the parts to melt metal. You could cast stuff in your own spare room. Or maybe make an induction forge… Play with it. That’s what old appliances are for!

Which may explain why my neighbors hate me…

Comment by kevin — November 25, 2008 @ 12:02 am - November 25, 2008

8. The amazing thing behind the microwave oven is the physics – the magnetron tube and waveguides were exotic technology… now it’s $50 ovens from China.

#1: I’d love to find an old toaster… seems like we don’t have the technology to make a decent toaster anymore.

Comment by SoCalRobert — November 25, 2008 @ 12:41 am - November 25, 2008

9. The EM radiation produced by microwaves is negligible and fall way below the standard set by the FDA.

In my mind, all microwaves are essentially the same. It just depends on how big or fancy looking you want it to be. If you’re just heating up a plate of left overs or popcorn now and again, you can go with a real basic model. Especially if you don’t care about coordinating with the rest of the kitchen.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 25, 2008 @ 1:38 am - November 25, 2008

10. Gerbil in the Microwave

It’s an oldie but goodie.

Jeb

Comment by Jeb — November 25, 2008 @ 1:49 pm - November 25, 2008

11. Find a classic appliance site and post a pic. There are people out there who collect them. Wierd, I know, but I collect old washing machines. So posting a pic of a 70′s classic Radarange over at http://www.automaticwasher.org might get someone locally to come collect it…

Comment by The other Peter H — November 25, 2008 @ 3:07 pm - November 25, 2008

12. [...] I even found an old coffee maker.  Instead of getting rid of it when I replaced it, I simply moved it to a kitchen cabinet. . . . And I still have yet to dispose of my vintage microwave. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Slow Blogging/House Cleaning — May 28, 2009 @ 4:52 pm - May 28, 2009