Mean-Spirited Minnesotan Steals a Senate Seat

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 9:01 pm - January 5, 2009.
Filed under: 111th Congress,Mean-spirited leftists

Back when I was researching my script The Lady of Mississippi, an interracial romance set in 1926 in the Magnolia State, I came across one of the most mean-spirited men ever to serve in the United State Senate, Theodore Bilbo. This racist Democrat was a member of the Ku Klux Klan and famously filibustered an anti-lynching bill in the Senate. He advocated violence against blacks.

So much did this hate-monger define the worst aspects of Jim Crow that I included him in one scene in the script. Whenever I think of him, I realize that while some of the most noble and principled Americans have served in the United States Senate–as well as a number of dedicated public servants, so have some of the worst rapscallions in American political life.

Following a recount fraught with partisan shenanigans with more votes counted that people who voted, it looks like another such individual, a man of Bilbo’s angry ilk will now serve in the United States Senate.

To be sure, Al Franken embodies a different kind of hate and does not (to my knowledge) advocate violence against his foes, but like that mean-spirited Mississippian, he harbors intense hatred for an entire class of people. For Bilbo, it was African-Americans. For Franken, it’s conservatives and Republicans. And just as Bilbo embodied a political movement so too does Franken.

Fortunately, that movement is not nearly as pervasive or as powerful as was Bilbo’s in its heyday. It does not control state governments which repress some citizens and look the other way when others abuse and murder their fellows.

To Al Franken and his base on MSNBC and in the “netroots,” conservatives don’t just support (what they believe to be) bad ideas, they’re bad people, deserving opprobrium and ridicule.

Tomorrow, should this man will attempt to take a seat in the United State Senate, Republicans should challenge his credentials. They don’t have the votes to prevent him from being seated–as they did in 1947 when they refused to seat Bilbo, but they should, at least, be able to force a vote on seating him. This way, they’ll tie every Democrat in the Senate to the mean-spirited man from Minnesota.

Democrats may well have stolen a Senate seat, but they should at least take responsibility for the theft, especially when it goes to a man who has such a history of harsh language and hatred.  It’s a sad day for America when such a man takes office.  But, we’ve suffered worse, far worse than Al Franken.

And we’ll survive his stolen success.

1. I’ve done my part and provided all the lubricant I plan on today.

In other words, we’re never going to get an explanation of how the works of a professional commentator should compare to a US Senator , but a d Dave won’t ever admit his comparison was stupid. So, he reverts to his natural level of middle-school worthy trash talk.

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2009 @ 2:56 pm - January 6, 2009

2. continue to make up things I said and things I believe

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2009 @ 2:59 pm - January 6, 2009

3. continue to make up things I said and things I believe quote me exactly

There, fixed it for you.

I know that you folks get all giggly and wet as you stroke each other with your…provided all the lubricant…you’ll all achieve climax at the same time.

Ew. I think he’s naked. I told you he was a masochist. This is totally a sex thing for him.

Comment by American Elephant — January 6, 2009 @ 3:20 pm - January 6, 2009

4. Also, with those statements, he more or less validates everything NDT has said about teh ghey leff being obsessed with sex and lacking decency.

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2009 @ 3:39 pm - January 6, 2009

5. why do leftists ALWAYS defend their [insert indefensible atrocious public ‘servant’ here] by pointing at [insert unrelated non public-servant/activity]?

reminds me of the child’s eternal lament “heeeeeeeeeeeeeee did something/anything too/first/better/worse/more!”

certainly no one to hold up as role models for your children, but at least Republicans and/or Conservatives tend to reject their own atrocious public servants when shown egregious behavior.

Liberals = absence of shame gene
    Conservatives = vestiges of shame gene

Comment by ShyAsrai — January 6, 2009 @ 3:54 pm - January 6, 2009

6. MSNBC is “reporting” with giggles how the Obama team is experiencing “drama” lately. Their term for Blago, preventing an appointed black Senator from Ill from being seated, Richardson not vetted, Richardson involved in pay for play scandal, Panetta tapped as CIA chief while not asking Di Fi for her opinion or approval as committee chair. Drama. huh. A new Republican administration would be being called unprofessional, dumb, incompetent, and boobs. Oh and crooks!!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 6, 2009 @ 4:05 pm - January 6, 2009

7. One wonders, if Dave always subsequently disavows every comment he makes on this forum as not representing what he believes, why does he make the comments in the first place?

We’ve had a lot of Daves, but if I’m not mistaken, ADD might be the Dave who once said:

I watched the clips [of Wright screaming ‘God Damn America!’] that someone put together from Faux New and Hannity’s hate show and there was not one thing Wright said that was not absolutely true.

…I do believe we have fueled the fire of hatred in the extremists of Islam… [driving] rational people over the edge into fanaticism.

And then, in the same thread, seriously tried to claim that (1) Dave hadn’t just blamed America for 9/11 and (2) Wright didn’t hate America. That would fit the profile of both Daves. That Dave also basically promised to leave (or announced his righteous departure) about 9000 times, fitting ADD’s profile. Because ADD can’t stay away; apparently he has some kind of twisted psychological dependency on what he imagines to be his audience here. So, his incredibly stupid comments, followed by disavowal or other stupid and graphically ugly forms of trying to bullsh*t his way out, are sure to continue.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 6, 2009 @ 4:35 pm - January 6, 2009

8. All these “Dave” guys confuse me — which is not that hard to do.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — January 6, 2009 @ 4:44 pm - January 6, 2009

9. Truth be known, I plan to contact the IBOD (the International Brotherhood of Daves) and get ADD officially decalred a “David”, with all of his rights as a Dave removed.
    Frankly he’s letting the side down.

Comment by DaveP. — January 6, 2009 @ 4:44 pm - January 6, 2009

10. Dave’s not here, man.

(Come on, someone had to say it.)

Comment by The_Livewire — January 6, 2009 @ 6:19 pm - January 6, 2009

11. If only Florida and Ohio had a system like MN…..

We do. Problem is that Florida liberals don’t concern themselves with the law when it doesn’t favor them. Plus, they figure they have a SC that will back their play like they did for Algore.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 6, 2009 @ 6:55 pm - January 6, 2009

12. If only Florida and Ohio had a system like MN….

Then Democrats could steal elections in those states, too?

As I recall, in this last election, Ohio’s attorney general was involved in some pretty shady electoral manipulations. Not to mention Ohio was using state employees to conduct background checks on dissidents whose disrespectful questions were embarrassing to The One.

Comment by V the K — January 6, 2009 @ 7:07 pm - January 6, 2009

13. I’ve done my part and provided all the lubricant I plan on today.

More like a douche.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 6, 2009 @ 8:02 pm - January 6, 2009

14. From Glenn Beck’s newsletter:

Shockingly, Al Franken has taken the lead in the race for Senator of Minnesota. Minnesota, we are going to ban you from the country if you keep this up. First a pro-wrestler and now a failed comedian and failed talk show host? Good grief, Minnesota, stick to being cold or whatever it is you do there.

Emphasis mine.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 6, 2009 @ 10:20 pm - January 6, 2009

15. I live in Minnesota – and Norm ran plenty of attack ads against Franken. Voters were disgusted by both choices – and the third party candidate, Dean Barkley got 18% or so. The “winner” in this election received less than 42% of the vote. Norm didn’t run as a republican – he ran as another democrat – and promoted pork like the best of them. The base wasn’t happy with Norm. Democrats weren’t particularly enthused by Franken – as shown by the huge dropoff between votes for Obama and votes in the Senate race.

Despite the paranoid rantings about things being stolen – this was a close election, where the margin of victory was less than the margin of error. The whole process was very transparent.

Powerline blog has suggested that it’s over for Norm Coleman.

Comment by Eva Young — January 6, 2009 @ 11:39 pm - January 6, 2009

16. Despite the paranoid rantings about things being stolen

Paranoid ramblings, Eva?

We have recounts without any statewide standard being set.

Recounts are held over and over again until the Democrat wins, just as happened in the governor’s race in Washington in 2004.

But people are just being paranoid. Bullshit.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — January 7, 2009 @ 1:23 am - January 7, 2009

17. The libs have been spinning coming up with any rational explanation they can for more ballots than voters. The fact remains that duplicate ballots that were supposed to be marked and set aside were counted among the rest. There’s no illusion here. They have, in hand, more ballots than voters.

It is, however, the typical liberal sleight of hand to produce a win for those who couldn’t win if they ran unopposed.

I just don’t like homosexuals. If you ask me, they’re all homosexuals in the Pudding. Hey, I was glad when that Pudding homosexual got killed in Philadelphia.” The smile became so broad it pushed his eyes shut. He couldn’t stand it any longer. “Put that in, put that in,” Franken laughed, leaning over the desk. “I’d love to see that in The Crimson.”

Hey MN, enjoy.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 7, 2009 @ 5:02 am - January 7, 2009

18. Is that an actual quote from Franken TGC?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 7, 2009 @ 10:47 am - January 7, 2009

19. Franken and the Democrats have been playing hardball while Coleman displays McCain-like ineptitude. Why do Republicans always expect Democrats to play fair?

Comment by V the K — January 7, 2009 @ 12:13 pm - January 7, 2009

20. #68 – Because, V, our side always expects the best out of our opposition, not the worst. And that’s where we make our mistake. We are trying to be the Sally Field of political parties (“You like me! You really really like me!”)

Rather than acting like Sally Field, I favor the GOP acting more like Daniel Craig – smooth, sophisticated but ready to lob a grenade at any moment.

Right now, the only conservative with any cojones is Ann Coulter.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 7, 2009 @ 3:53 pm - January 7, 2009

21. “I love liberals who can’t see the difference between a “commentator, journalist, columnist” and a SENATOR.”

Franken isn’t a senator yet and everything he wrote before now was as a “commentator, journalist, columnist” so the comparison of the trash that flows from him and Coulter is quite appropriate. Because you agree with Coulter doesn’t change that she is a rabid pitbull who, while she can’t be accused of starting it, is a key player in the downward spiral of relations of people with different political beliefs. Supporting anyone who contributes to this is harmful to the people of the United States of America. The ones with “cojones” will be the ones who pull it out of the gutter not those who shovel more sh*t in. Until commentators on both the left and right pull themselves out of the gutter the division will continue to worsen. There’s plenty of blame to go around, refusing to see it in those you agree with is dangerous blindness.

As far as all the other comments about me – I’ll not participate in your stupid game. I continue to read because there are interesting and well written posts from the owners/contributers to this blog.

AE, the high here was about 26 degrees the other day and since I’m a “mindless liberal” who believes in keeping energy use down (not to mention the bills) it was certainly not warm enough in my house to sit around naked. 🙂

Comment by a different Dave — January 7, 2009 @ 5:27 pm - January 7, 2009

22. #70 – And with that diatribe, Bilbo picks up his toys and goes home.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 7, 2009 @ 8:03 pm - January 7, 2009

23. Now now, adDave admitted that Obama would ‘do or say anything to get elected’ why should we expect more from Frankin?

Comment by The Livewire — January 7, 2009 @ 8:41 pm - January 7, 2009

24. Supporting anyone who contributes to this is harmful to the people of the United States of America.

Which is why adDave, while drawing equivalencies between Al Franken and Ann Coulter, supports, endorses, and pushes Al Franken to be elected a US Senator while insisting that anyone who is like Franken is “harmful to the people of the United States of America”.

Obviously adDave doesn’t care about harming Americans if it helps the Democrat Party. That shows you right there the absolute lack of morality and complete lust for power that typifies the Democrats and liberal gays like adDave.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 7, 2009 @ 8:45 pm - January 7, 2009

25. I continue to read because there are interesting and well written posts…

ROFL 🙂 But what has that got to do with commenting? You continue to comment, ADD – with truly stunning levels of stupidity, forcing you to repeatedly disavow your own comments, or to try to bullsh*t your way out of them in other grpahically ugly ways – because you have some kind of twisted psychological dependency on what you imagine to be your audience here.

I predicted you’d come back up at #57. I was right, and I hereby further renew the prediction.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 7, 2009 @ 9:18 pm - January 7, 2009

26. Dave you may be too young to know it but Democrats and liberals started this latest stretch of hateful politics. It goes back at least 25 years. They got personal with Robert Bork, Clarance Thomas, making Supreme Court nominations very personal and hateful. Believing anything was in bounds when destroying a pro life judge. Dave, who came first, Michael Moore and Dan Rather lies and hateful personal attacks on President Bush or Ann Coulters books? Some perspective and history is necessary here. If you are young and uninformed about the past 25 years I’ll give you a pass. But read and educate yourself.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 7, 2009 @ 10:22 pm - January 7, 2009

27. #75 – Gene, I am so over trying to be polite and reasonable with libtards. More and more often, they expose themselves as elitists who love seeing women, gays and minorities stuck in a “plantation” mentality.

These are the same people who side with terrorists (i.e. Hamas, Hezbollah, Club Gitmo detainees) whose geopolitical rhetoric includes exterminating those same types people as noted above.

These are the people who look at “the white woman, the gay guy, the black man” instead of looking at us as people, not groups.

It’s all a very clever trick, but it’s cruel, and I’m done with ignoring it.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 8, 2009 @ 2:43 pm - January 8, 2009

28. Peter…..are there white women….and….gay guys…..and, and, and……black folks luring around here? Heaven forfend. Move them to the front of the post. It looks like “you people” have been treating them like as regular people. A-r-r-r-r-r-g-h!!!

Comment by heliotrope — January 9, 2009 @ 9:40 am - January 9, 2009

29. #74 ILC, I wanted you to be correct about one thing in your comment. 🙂

Comment by a different Dave — January 9, 2009 @ 7:08 pm - January 9, 2009

30. NDT, show me where I supported, endorsed or pushed for Franken to be elected?

Gene, I am well aware of the hostile behavior and words from the left and I believe I said that both sides are wrong when they resort to gutter level. I’ve been around since Kennedy was in office though I didn’t pay much attention to politics until Nixon, a great introduction. It’s always good to read and educate yourself no matter what age.

Comment by a different Dave — January 9, 2009 @ 7:25 pm - January 9, 2009

31. In that case Dave u know the truth. Conservatives give more to charity than libersals. Democrat crroks get to stay in office Republicans crooks get prosecuted or are forced to resign by their conservative voters. Liberals talk a good game but don’t deliver. Liberals whine about the damaged earth and are eco nutts, but I see just as many liberals driving not walking, not one iberal I know does their laundryoutside, not one liberal I know has stopped barbequing or mowing their lawn to save the planet. They love dictating to others what they wouldn’t do themselves. Save the public schools, yet Obama sends his girls to not jsut a private school but the most expensive and private school on the east coast.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 11, 2009 @ 11:24 am - January 11, 2009

32. “yet Obama sends his girls to not jsut a private school but the most expensive and private school on the east coast.”

With the hatred that the right has shown towards Obama he would do well to send body guards with his children also. There is no limit to what disgusting acts the right will take against those they hate.

I know that y’all think conservatives are sainted and liberals are evil. If you ever took the time to look at those you worship and support you would see that they are just as bad.

Comment by a different Dave — January 11, 2009 @ 2:14 pm - January 11, 2009

33. […] UPDATE:  Mean-Spirited Minnesotan Steals a Senate Seat. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Least Popular Freshman Senator — June 30, 2009 @ 4:52 pm - June 30, 2009