Harry Reid Losing Control?

Welcome Instapundit Readers!!

The last time I remember reading something on the left-wing blog firedoglake, I found it so offensive I didn’t think I’d ever return to the website.  Well, just a few moments ago, while scanning Instapundit, I followed Glenn’s link JANE HAMSHER: I want to play poker with Harry Reid to a post there which pretty much reflected my views on how the corrupt Democratic Governor of Illinois rolled his party’s leader in the US Senate.

Of course, Jane Hamsher has a style entirely different from my own.  And, I gotta admit, despite her politics, she’s a lot of fun to read, well, at least, in this post.

With his party enjoying the largest Senate majority in over thirty years, you’d think Reid would be having a field day as Democratic leader.  But, Hamsher shows how the ham-handed Harry has had his hat handed to him by the appointee of a hapless governor disowned by his own party:  “A seventy-one year old dude who hasn’t held office for 14 years, appointed by a crook, takes the Senate Majority Leader to the cleaners.

Read the whole thing.  It’s witty and on the money.

1. [...] Bringing America together! “The last time I remember reading something on the left-wing blog firedoglake, I found it so [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » INSTAPUNDIT: Bringing America together! “The last time I remember reading something on the left-wi… — January 8, 2009 @ 2:57 am - January 8, 2009

2. “Harry Reid Losing Control?” implies, of course, that Dingy Harry ever *had* control. I’ve seen no evidence of that; ever.

Comment by Denny, Alaska — January 8, 2009 @ 3:49 am - January 8, 2009

3. Harry Reid: Worst Senate Majority Leader in history!

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — January 8, 2009 @ 4:07 am - January 8, 2009

4. Harry Reid blocked the appointment of Miguel Estrada… a hispanic man … to the First Circuit Court of Appeals.

Harry Reid also blocked the appointment of Janice Rogers Brown … an African-American woman … to the First Circuit Court of Appeals.

Harry Reid told Rod Blagojavich not to appoint either of two African-American men to Barack Obama’s senate seat.

Harry Reid tried to par the only African-American in the U.S. Senate from taking the seat to which he was lawfully appointed.

Hmm… seems like there’s a pattern here.

Comment by V the K — January 8, 2009 @ 5:23 am - January 8, 2009

5. Harry Reid is terribly unpopular in his home state. I do hope we can send him packing when he comes up for re-election.

Comment by American Elephant — January 8, 2009 @ 6:39 am - January 8, 2009

6. Unfortunately, the GOP has a very weak bench for 2010 because it has been neglecting the state level party apparatus. Harry Reid will be vulnerable, but without a strong opponent he’ll cruise… like Mary Landrieu in Lousiana, Debbie Stabenow in Michigan, or Barbara Boxer in California. A strong party makes up for a weak candidate, and the GOP is not strong right now.

Comment by V the K — January 8, 2009 @ 7:36 am - January 8, 2009

7. Unfortunately, the GOP has a very weak bench for 2010 because it has been neglecting the state level party apparatus. Harry Reid will be vulnerable, but without a strong opponent he’ll cruise, like Mary Landrieu or Barbara Boxer. A s-t-r-o-n-g party makes up for a w-e-a-k candidate, and the Republican party is looking like Caspar Milquetoast right now.

Comment by V the K — January 8, 2009 @ 7:39 am - January 8, 2009

8. [...] glenn and [...]

Pingback by I wish I wrote this « DaTechguy’s Blog — January 8, 2009 @ 7:52 am - January 8, 2009

9. [...] you haven’t already gone there from Instapundit or Gay Patriot, do yourself a favor and check it out. Really, you’ll be glad you did. (Just don’t [...]

Pingback by Good Writing Deserves to be Read « Grand Rants — January 8, 2009 @ 10:12 am - January 8, 2009

10. And this guy’s from _NEVADA_?! Maybe need a bit more practice at the tables, Hal..

Comment by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater — January 8, 2009 @ 10:40 am - January 8, 2009

11. What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas, including Dingy Harry.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 8, 2009 @ 10:44 am - January 8, 2009

12. V,

When you hyphenate words like that, is it because you know them to be words that trip the filter, because you are guessing, or just for s&g?

Comment by American Elephant — January 8, 2009 @ 11:31 am - January 8, 2009

13. I think one of the things that trips the filter is repeated words. It took three tries to get my last comment through the fil-ter. Also, spelling out words like l-e-s-b-i-a-n that are known to t-r-i-p the f-i-l-t-e-r seems to work.

Comment by V the K — January 8, 2009 @ 11:54 am - January 8, 2009

14. Rather than a hapless governor, it seems like Blago is much more of a bare-knuckle fighter than Senator Reid. Makes sense given their paths to power, with Blago coming up through the Machine he’s much more attuned to who his friends are, who his enemies are and how to reward one and slap the other with the same motion. I’m really wondering what Reid believed he could accomplish by trying to intimidate Blago into not appointing someone, all Blago has to do is look around to see where Reid’s political troops are — not only are there not many of them, but there aren’t any in Springfield or Chicago. Keep talking, Harry — Governor Blagojevich has correctly deduced that talking is all you can do.

Comment by Darren — January 8, 2009 @ 12:12 pm - January 8, 2009

15. It’s funny that when the Dems play hard ball politics, like Blago or Obama pushing Reid to seat Burress….it is funny bar knucked politics. The MSM marvels at how impressive it is. I remember when Republicans had hard core pols like “the hammer” DeLay, I don’t remember the media giggling. I’ve never seen such a humiliating turnaround as when one day Reid and Durbin barred the door and prevented a black man legally appointed to the Ill Senate seat. Less than 24 hours later,they allowed Burress to come into the Capital in an underground tunnel so as not to be seen publically, (FOX news was smart enough to cover the tunnels) I wonder if Mr Burress had thoughts of the Civil War underground railroads, used to smuggle blacks to the North. Both Reid and Durbin were apoligizing and came out and said they weren’t racists. That barring the door” had nothing to do with race and Mr Burress acknowleded that.” It was a precious moment seeing two creepy Dem pols smile and deny the obvious. Is Harry Reid the most incompetent, tin earred Democrat in history?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 8, 2009 @ 1:15 pm - January 8, 2009

16. It seems to me that the only thing important for the Senate Democrats is that there not be a special election, because that might elect a Republican right now in the face of this scandal. Their only reason to refuse to accept a Blagojevich appointment was to avoid seeming to be in bed with him, or a part of his scandals. By “opposing” Blago and then folding, the Democrats get the best possible outcome, with another Democratic senator guaranteed for two years, without even a delay for an election.

I’m not saying Reid planned all of this, since a normal ego would probably avoid some of the embarrassments to which he has subjected himself, but it’s certainly possible. More likely, Reid opposed Burris knowing that whether or not he succeeded in keeping him out, that was the only way to avoid looking a part of a “culture of corruption.”

Comment by DWPittelli — January 8, 2009 @ 1:51 pm - January 8, 2009