Obama Chameleon

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 2:42 am - January 14, 2009.
Filed under: Obama Watch

Seeing this cartoon in a friend’s e-mail reminded me of the Gerson column I mentioned in my previous post. I seemed a sign I should finally, put pen to paper fingers to keyboard and write a piece that had been kicking around in my head since I had first read that column last month.

Just as that Kool-Aid changes flavors to reflect the latest polling data, so does Obama change to reflect his surroundings.  As Gerson noted, his cabinet picks showed the “audacity of moderation.”  Maybe he realized that he won his election because of certain circumstances during the campaign (i.e., the financial meltdown) rather than the ideology of his party.  Or maybe he realizes that his more moderate general election campaign rhetoric resonated with the American people.

If he shifted his ideology to reflect those around him, it would be entirely consistent with his past record.

He associated with radicals like William Ayers because that’s what intellectuals did who lived near the the University of Chicago.  He joined Jeremiah Wright’s church because that’s what up-and-coming African-American politicians did on the South Side of Chicago. He voted the party line in the Senate because that’s what ambitious Democrats do in their first years in Washington.

He may have associated with Ayers and praised Wright, but unless you adopt Andrew Sullivan’s logic, you won’t find any evidence that supported their most extreme ideas.

Like a chameleon, he just seemed to blend in.  While he did often articulate support for their general worldview, he lacked the political courage to challenge those hateful ideas.  He liked didn’t support Ayers’s agenda of terror or Wright’s animosity toward United States in general and white Americans in particular, but he didn’t want to risk exposing himself as any different from the most outspoken (and bigottted) people around him.

Now that Obama is about to become my president, the leader of the nation I love, I want to believe he will set a course different from one suggested by his liberal voting record and left-wing associations.  Since I reject the notion that he harbored the hateful views of Wright and Ayers, I’m left seeing him as a political chameleon.

To be sure, Gerson believes Obama’s early appointments show “the instincts and ambitions of a large political figure.”  Perhaps, he’s right.  But, this political figure at least knows which way the wind blows.  And like a chameleon, his political positions don’t reflect some deep inner convictions (save that of survival), but instead the world around.

A reassuring thought were he to spend his life on the campaign trail, in constant contact with the American people, but not when he is about to set up shop in our nation’s capital.

1. ‘bama ‘bama ‘bama ‘bama ‘bama chameleon
    you come and go
    you come and gooooo

Comment by American Elephant — January 14, 2009 @ 2:49 am - January 14, 2009

2. Better…

‘bama ‘bama ‘bama ‘bama ‘bama chameleon
    you tax and spend.
    Tax and spennnnnnnd.

Comment by The Livewire — January 14, 2009 @ 6:40 am - January 14, 2009

3. The man behind the curtain arrived in a balloon full of hot air. He warned of all manner of dire economic and social troubles. He promised to work to satisfy audacious hope and bring about healing and sustaining change. The munchkins elevated him to wizard and he has set about appointing his official minions.

Do not question the motives of the great and powerful wizard. The wizard acts in strange and mysterious ways. The Lollipop Kids may gripe, but they still believe the wizard is superior to the Bushmonkey.

As to the chameleon thought, it may be no more than a wizard doing what a wizard’s got to do. Being all things to all people, an arbiter of all conundrums, a herder of all cats, and a man without shame or blame is difficult work. Even for a wizard. People laughed when he said he was a community organizer. Well, they aren’t laughing now.

Comment by heliotrope — January 14, 2009 @ 8:49 am - January 14, 2009

4. Obama is exactly the Will Smith character in Six Degrees of Separation, and Stockard Channing is the intellectual elite who loves and supports him. Everyone in America needs to see that movie so they’ll know what’s coming. Obama is also Jasmine from the series Angel–those episodes would also make good homework.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 14, 2009 @ 9:36 am - January 14, 2009

5. Obama is also Jasmine from the series Angel

Jasmine ate the souls of her most devoted followers first, if I recall.

Comment by V the K — January 14, 2009 @ 10:07 am - January 14, 2009

6. I thought Obama was the love child of Wright and Ayers. Now I am so confused!!!

Comment by jimmy — January 14, 2009 @ 10:34 am - January 14, 2009

7. Heh, jasmine. So Obama’s going to bring world peace and happiness, with the minor cost of a few souls a week?

Though Gina Tores is a lot hotter…

Comment by The Livewire — January 14, 2009 @ 10:36 am - January 14, 2009

8. This “chameleon” is going to do damage to America that might take generations to repair.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 14, 2009 @ 10:46 am - January 14, 2009

9. I’m hoping that Dan is right – Obama has the potential to make improvements in the sorry state of the black “culture” that has given us one lost generation of black kids after another – kids exposed to hate, cruelty, and dysfunction from the get-go. This would go a long way towards mending the corrosive black-white schism. But I’m afraid he won’t. His go-along to get-along mentality will prevent him taking on the current black “leadership” that doesn’t give a damn; people like James Clyburn (House Dem whip) who profit from racial squabbling; race pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who have grown rich ‘n’ famous on the backs of their own people.

ILC – I think the damage is already done. GWB greased the rails for the socialist takeover of this country and now Pelosi, Reid, and the Messiah are going to push the train over the cliff. Even to the end, Bush can’t resist the urge to finish off the country as we’ve known it.

It’s started. Comrade Pelosi and her goons are preparing to shove an S-CHIP expansion through Congress today (“universal” health care in disguise) – ready for the Messiah’s signature next week.

One of these days, the masses in this country are going to wake up and wonder WTF happened. Or maybe not.

Comment by SoCalRobert — January 14, 2009 @ 12:16 pm - January 14, 2009

10. I am not ready to empbrace Obama as my president. I accept the fact that he is the President, and he occupies the White House, but as of yet he has yet to show me that he represents my views. Once I see that the country is on the right track by being centrist, if not conservtive measures, (after all he could have an epiphany) then I will embrace him as my president.

Comment by Roberto — January 14, 2009 @ 2:20 pm - January 14, 2009

11. Andrew Sullivan? Logic?

Sorry, those two terms together do not compute.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 14, 2009 @ 2:29 pm - January 14, 2009

12. #6 – Little jimmy, confusion is your natural state anyway. Don’t sweat it.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 14, 2009 @ 3:03 pm - January 14, 2009

13. More on the Obama chameleon (warning: the comments are so homophobic that they make me heterophobic):

The man is a cynical panderer, and I hesitate to compare him with the Wizard of Oz, because by his own admission he was a good man, just a bad wizard. He followed through on his promises once he was revealed.

Comment by Attmay — January 14, 2009 @ 3:44 pm - January 14, 2009

14. #13 – Rather than the Wizard of Oz, you should compare him to Dorothy and her friends – no brain, no heart, no courage and no way to get home.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 14, 2009 @ 3:48 pm - January 14, 2009

15. I’ve been trying for such a long time to make the Jasmine comparison to people who would get it–maybe the problem has been that none of the guys to whom I’ve suggested that comparison were attracted to David Boreanaz.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 14, 2009 @ 9:55 pm - January 14, 2009

16. Remember when Obama said he wanted to “kill bin Ladin”? Turns out, not so much… he was just pandering to get people to vote for him:

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 15, 2009 @ 6:17 am - January 15, 2009

17. Remember when Obama said the real War on Terror was in Afghanistan and he was committed to winning it? You guessed it: not so much. He is presently committing an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to a surge -that he doesn’t believe in-. (Would Bush do that? Hint: No.)

*sigh* – It’s going to be a long 4 years, watching the Democrats wreck both (1) America and (2) America’s position in the world. The silver lining may be that, at this rate, with them already botching things before Obama’s even taken office, it won’t be any longer than 4 years.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 15, 2009 @ 6:24 am - January 15, 2009

18. “I reject the notion that he harbored the hateful views of Wright and Ayers, I’m left seeing him as a political chameleon.”

That consoled me for a moment, until I remembered how much damage the last chameleon to become President (Clinton) managed to do to this country.

Hopefuly, as happened with the Clintons, Obama’s first big foray into socialism will be so resoundingly rejected he’ll STAY just left of center.

Comment by DoorHold — January 19, 2009 @ 6:15 pm - January 19, 2009

19. [...] elected, however, he faced a dilemma, keep faith with his left-wing base (one of my past posts notwithstanding) seems were he finds his political heart or staying true to the promises he made, primarily in the [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Promise Breaker — June 29, 2009 @ 7:51 pm - June 29, 2009