World’s First Gay TV Superhero

Spider-man creator Stan Lee is to unveil the world’s first gay superhero.” Well, technically not the first, as there have been a number, notably Northstar, appearing in various comic books, er, graphic novels over the years.  But, none of them have had their own TV show as will Lee’s new character, Thom Creed.

(H/t Jonah @ the Corner.)

1. Wonder what this gay superhero will be doing in the telephone booth? (“Is it a bird?”)

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 14, 2009 @ 4:34 pm - January 14, 2009

2. [...] Gay Patriot notes, he is not really the world’s first gay superhero, but he is the first to have his own TV show and the first [...]

Pingback by Gay Superhero: Thom Creed » Right Pundits — January 14, 2009 @ 5:55 pm - January 14, 2009

3. It has to be better than the Rawhide kid.

Seriously, I think Northstar is the first. Though it is annoying to me, because his sexuality was part of his character, not what defined it. I worry whenever I hear ‘a gay superhero’ ‘a black superhero’ or ‘a conservative superhero’ that the adjective will define the character, rather than be part of a bigger picture.

As an aside, are there any left handed superheroes besides Thunderstrike? Why don’t we lefties get a token super hero? :P

Comment by The Livewire — January 14, 2009 @ 7:05 pm - January 14, 2009

4. Silly me, when I watched Batman and Robin on tv I thought they were gay and they were my super heroes.

Comment by Roberto — January 14, 2009 @ 7:32 pm - January 14, 2009

5. Roberto: perhaps it was The Ambiguously Gay Duo?

Comment by hpb — January 14, 2009 @ 9:05 pm - January 14, 2009

6. Gilgamesh was the first gay superhero.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 14, 2009 @ 9:56 pm - January 14, 2009

7. Heh, don’t really think of him that way, but you have a point. Heracles comes in a close second.

Does Xena count as a superhero?

Comment by The Livewire — January 14, 2009 @ 10:19 pm - January 14, 2009

8. Hey, Capt. Jack Harkness fits the bill for me.

Comment by sonicfrog — January 15, 2009 @ 12:58 am - January 15, 2009

9. This from the same guy who put Comrade Obama in an issue of Spiderman.

Which begs the question: Why is Green Lantern black now?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 15, 2009 @ 6:03 am - January 15, 2009

10. What about the Ambiguously Gay Duo?

So, instead of coming out of a phone booth, this character is going to come out of a closet singing Abba tunes?

Comment by V the K — January 15, 2009 @ 1:13 pm - January 15, 2009

11. #7 – “Does Xena count as a superhero?”

To folks like Julie the Jarhead, she sure does.

(No offense Julie if you are reading this – you are the kind of person I’d love to go drinking with.)

Beer and a shot for all!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 15, 2009 @ 2:07 pm - January 15, 2009

12. You betcha!

And let me know if you’re ever in the Boston area, Peter!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — January 15, 2009 @ 4:28 pm - January 15, 2009

13. #12 – Ditto if you are ever in Houston!

I’ve always said that we should have a GP convention in some convenient locale like Dallas, Chicago, New Orleans, Las Vegas et al. Besides, why should the Kos Kidz have all the fun and free media?

I’m sure we could get Fox News or CNS or even NRO to cover it.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 15, 2009 @ 5:33 pm - January 15, 2009

14. grrr, filter.

Comment by The Livewire — January 16, 2009 @ 9:19 am - January 16, 2009

15. My vote’s always for Las Vegas.

More drag queens per square mile.

More churches, too. Go figure.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — January 16, 2009 @ 12:08 pm - January 16, 2009

16. I vote Ohio,

we need something to counter our governour trying to make us Michigan Lite

I’m lazy and cheep, and can’t make it to vegas ;-)

Comment by The_Livewire — January 16, 2009 @ 1:56 pm - January 16, 2009

17. I would vote Chicago – close to OH for Livewire, easy to get to from across the nation, and a very nice tongue-in-cheek ambiguous insult to The Snob’s hometown for hosting a gay conservatives’ convention.

Plus, I hear the pizza is REALLY good. ;-)

Would love to do Vegas, but given the state of my pocketbook it wouldn’t be cost-efficient.

Regards,