Obama Here, Obama There, Obama, Obama Everywhere!

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 8:27 pm - January 16, 2009.
Filed under: LA Stories,Obama Worship & Indoctrination

Last week, when browsing at Borders with a friend who had voted for Obama pointed to a table laden with books by or about the president-elect. He asked a question that had also occurred to me: had I ever seen such attention given to an incoming Administration.

Even when I visited Washington, D.C. just before Bill Clinton’s first inaugural in 1993, I didn’t see as much memorabilia for the then-incoming president as I have seen this year in the Hollywood area. A nearby 7-11 advertises T-shirts with the mug of the president-elect and the date of his inaugural. Scan a newsstand and it seems more magazines today have cover stories about Obama than did about George W. Bush in 2001, Clinton in 1993, George H.W. in 1989 or even the Gipper in the last such transformational inaugural (at least we’re told this is such a swearing-in) in 1981.

I wonder if cities in “flyover” country are seeing such promotion of the Obama inaugural. Or maybe that establishments here are just playing to folks in the entertainment industry overly enthusiastic about this particular president-elect.

1. He is truly the Dear Leader. It is a classic brainwashing cult.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 16, 2009 @ 8:40 pm - January 16, 2009

2. The attention is not surprising. For two reasons:

Most importantly, he’s the first black President in the nation’s history. It’s hard to believe, but Pres9dent-elect Obama was in grade school when the Voting Rights Act was passed in 1965. We’ve come a long way as a nation.

Also, Obama pretty much came from “nowhere” to win the presidency, upending the Clinton political organization in the process. When he announced his candidacy, he was hardly known outside Illinois, except to those who watched his 2004 Democratic National Convention speech on TV. It was a stunning victory when you consider that.

As to your question about how widespread this is: I haven’t seen much Obama memorabilia in the area where I live. But that’s to be expected since he received less than 40 percent of the vote. There’s no doubt more “celebration” in states he carried.

Comment by Jack Allen — January 16, 2009 @ 9:11 pm - January 16, 2009

3. I haven’t been to Hollywood, the boil on the posterior of America, in quite some time, but I suspect you have it worst there.

Present company excluded, Hollywood is the epicenter of superficiality in America — the Mecca for every air-headed idol contestant wannabe from sea to shining sea. Where fame and beauty are the ultimate virtues, and People magazine is the bible. Obama is the fad-ification of politics. For the first time in their lives, someone has made politics accessible to the High School Musical crowd by reducing all the complicated issues of the world down to a Disney-esque marketing catch-phrase they can understand: “Hope and changeâ„¢” It only makes sense that the trendiest trend followers in the country are the most exuberant about Brand Obama — its like being invited to the grown up table at Thanksgiving for the first time.

But eventually politics will return, as it must, to policy, and the inhabitants of Hollywood will return to interests they can understand, like what Simon said on American Idol and saving the polar bears by wiping with one sheet of toilet paper.

Comment by American Elephant — January 16, 2009 @ 9:24 pm - January 16, 2009

4. As to ILC’s point, here’s a comment I just posted to an old post of mine upon discovering a critic claiming we equate patriotism with support of W:

Where, oh, where did liberals get the idea that we so venerate Bush? Or call him Dear Leader? Could it be they drew the notion from their own psyches, given how eagerly these people revere his successor?

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 16, 2009 @ 9:52 pm - January 16, 2009

5. he’s the first black President in the nation’s history

First: in point of fact, he isn’t black. He’s half-black – or to say it the other way around, he’s half-white.

Second: I thought Clinton was supposed to be “the first black President?”

Third and most important: In the world envisioned by Dr. Martin Luther King, a world that I want, no one should care what he is. I am understanding of the fact that some older African-Americans do care. And, I expect them to be understanding of the fact that I don’t.

Jack – have you *noticed* Obama’s appointments? Really.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 16, 2009 @ 10:30 pm - January 16, 2009

6. P.S. Nice job of spinning Obama’s scary lack of experience and even greater lack of accomplishments (except at promoting himself) 😉

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 16, 2009 @ 10:32 pm - January 16, 2009

7. In all fairness, Obama did have to beat the Clinton machine before he could siphon his administration from it.

Comment by American Elephant — January 16, 2009 @ 11:13 pm - January 16, 2009

8. I AM SICK OF IT ALL! I mean, I did not vote for President-elect Obama. But the adulation as if he is Jesus Christ who will spit in the dirt, make mud and bring sight to the blind is mind-numbing. My hope that he does have successful presidency is slowing, like water dripping from a faucet, receeding the more I read, see and hear about the coronation, er innaguration. There is history in this one. But not what I see here on the Left Coast. It is hero worship. And, The One has not done one thing yet. And another bothersome point. The fact that the Republicans in the senate are willing to roll and let such sychophants like Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, Tim Geithner, et al, become cabinet secretaries with out so much as a wimper is as mind-numbing. Oh well. Hope and Change, baby! Hope and Change!

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — January 17, 2009 @ 12:05 am - January 17, 2009

9. Yeah, it’s real weird to see Obama’s face plastered everywhere on any given newstand. At the local news shop, there are special tribute publications, souvenirs, t-shirts, etc. I was willing to buy one of those special books when the Red Sox won the World Series back in ’04, but not now. Talk about overkill! Enough already.

Comment by Jimbo — January 17, 2009 @ 9:49 am - January 17, 2009

10. As your major correspondent from flyover country (Central Nebraska), I can say that I saw some Obama plates on sale at Walgreen’s, next to the Aqua Globes.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 17, 2009 @ 10:58 am - January 17, 2009

11. I saw Montel Williams hocking Obama coins on television, one of which had a picture of George Washington just over Obama’s right shoulder. If Washington knew the caliber of people that inhabit the offices of the government he helped establish in the city that bears his name, I imagine his reaction would not be favorable.

Often I feel sad that Washington’s good name is associated with the city where some of the most incompetent people our nation has ever produced drag down the proper inheritors of his legacy.

I dread the New Dawn approaching us Tuesday.

Comment by Aaron — January 17, 2009 @ 12:48 pm - January 17, 2009

12. Thank you, ILoveCapitalism, for pointing out that Obama is half-black. That is how I always put it too. In that regard, he is the Halle Berry of DC. Condi Rice was way blacker, and lived through segregation, and all she got was sh*t for being an Aunt Tom. Had she been a Dem, the press would have creamed over a black woman playing classical music – well-dressed and well-spoken. Oh well.

I just hope Obama does some good and proves us all wrong – proves that this is not cult. Though I must say the children’s book about Obama is pretty frightening…..

Comment by Chuck — January 17, 2009 @ 1:05 pm - January 17, 2009

13. There is a comparison to the Obama fest that goes on and on. Remember the old communist/fascist empires. Mao tso tung…pictures of him everywhere. Mao swimming in the yang see river for medicinal purposes. Mao’s teachings, Mao’s writings, Mao’s picture on the bottom of bowls, etc. He controlled the media, he executed those who disagreed. I’m not sure but our media in the end will be like the Nazi judge trying the valkeryee conspiritors. Screaming at how they could doubt the fuhuer.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 17, 2009 @ 3:21 pm - January 17, 2009

14. I’m uncomfortable talking about who is the blackist. A quote from
    Seinfeld…..”I’m not sure we should be talking about this….”

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 17, 2009 @ 3:22 pm - January 17, 2009

15. #10 the Obama plates here in Ft Lauderdale were $19.99 for an 8″ plate. Lordy lordy.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 17, 2009 @ 3:24 pm - January 17, 2009

16. Gene, my only part (and interest) was to state facts. That’s it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 17, 2009 @ 3:39 pm - January 17, 2009

17. Yesterday, I saw a bumpersticker that said simply “President Obama”.

The more I think about it, the stranger this is. I’ve never seen such a thing for other Presidents. Just what kind of idolatry is this? Is Obama their daddy? Their god? For heaven’s sake, we’re talking about a politician! Anyone considering themselves a free citizen should be embarrassed about such an attitude.

Comment by Matteo — January 17, 2009 @ 4:53 pm - January 17, 2009

18. Once 1970s-style stagflation kicks in (and trust me, it will in spades), I’ll make a bumper sticker that says “President Obama… sucks ass” 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 17, 2009 @ 5:44 pm - January 17, 2009

19. If things get really bad, I get dibs on the rights to sell “I Miss Bush” T-shirts.

Comment by Attmay — January 17, 2009 @ 6:57 pm - January 17, 2009

20. Except that Bush is, even now, acting as a mini-Obama on economics.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 18, 2009 @ 5:30 am - January 18, 2009

21. you know,

We could always put the Obama plates next to the Star Trek china set (Yes they made them yes they were pfalzcraft and yes I threatened to register for them with my first wife) Then we can hold his promises in the same historical significance that we hold the Euginics wars in the 90’s 🙂

Comment by The Livewire — January 18, 2009 @ 9:40 am - January 18, 2009

22. For once, I hope the scammers, charlatans, and snake oil salesmen win.

I hope people lose their shirts buying all the (Zero)bama crap they’re hawking on television. I hope Dad and Mom spend Juniors college fund on coins, t-shirts, and (eventually) holy water bless by The One himself.

I hope every counterfeiter in the country makes millions off these fools.

Me — I’ll spend my money on my new Philips multi-region DVD player and Bailey’s Irish Cream.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — January 18, 2009 @ 2:57 pm - January 18, 2009

23. The inaugural memoribilia ads just annoy me….and some are peddling illegal goods such as the defaced US currency set with the Obamessiah face added. And some of the commenoritive plates ads are just blasphemist idolatry….the whole (white) family gathered around the smiling visage of the new Dear Leader, as if he blessing their day.

Reminds me of my Roman Catholic friends’ homes in the 1960’s and early 1970’s…each had a little Baroque dbl-picture frame in the living or dining room of Pope John and President Kennedy. Usually with Palm Sunday palms threaded around both visages and a Rosary, like ancient Roman household deities.

Comment by Ted B (Charging Rhino) — January 19, 2009 @ 12:00 pm - January 19, 2009

24. #23 good one rhino, OMG I remember those. JFK hand in hand with Jesus. I think the Obama mania may be worse. How can the MSM assume he is going to succeed in parting the seas , delivering socialism, before he’s even sworn in.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — January 19, 2009 @ 1:56 pm - January 19, 2009

25. The hawking of so much worthless Obama memorabilia surprises me, but his *is* a unique Presidency. Hillary as President would likely have generated just as much crap.

I guess if you count all the anti-Bush memorabilia, there’s at least some parity. Anybody willing to admit they own a “Bush Butt-Plug?”

I’m glad someone else mentioned the irony of people judging Obama’s success based solely on the color of his skin. Dr. King, I believe we’ll see your dream come true some day, but we’re not there yet.

Comment by DoorHold — January 19, 2009 @ 4:34 pm - January 19, 2009

26. “… some are peddling illegal goods such as the defaced US currency …”

Forgot to address this: The intent of the law and the way it’s been enforced is to prevent anyone from trying to change the denomination to a higher one. Paste a couple of zeros onto a one dollar bill for example. Creating “art” from currency has never been punished, nor should it be (IMO).

Comment by DoorHold — January 19, 2009 @ 4:39 pm - January 19, 2009

27. like ancient Roman household deities

Most apt analogy I’ve seen.

Comment by HeatherRadish — January 19, 2009 @ 7:34 pm - January 19, 2009