Obama Worship: Flip Side of Bush Hatred

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 8:27 pm - January 19, 2009.
Filed under: Bush-hatred,Obamania

Welcome Instapundit Readers!! While you’re here, check out some of our most recent posts, noting that no “O” Keys where missing from White House keyboards when the new Administration took over and wondering if pundits have been projecting their own views onto the “blank screen” of Obama’s inaugural address.

Leah’s coment to my post, Bush-Hatred and the Bush Legacy that “Obama worship is the flip side of Bush hatred,” reminded me how much Obamania ressembles the 1970s teen craze for singer Bobby Sherman.  Like those teenagers (many of whom all but certainly became partisans of the Democratic candidate), Obama’s fans love their man without really knowing what he’s going to do in office.

At a party shortly after the election, a woman who has worked on the Democrat’s campaign told me she supported him because we needed someone to undo the “damage” of the Bush years, yet she couldn’t identify any policies her guy backed, except that he promised to change the way things are done in the nation’s capital.  Only she couldn’t say how he planned to effect that change.  She’s not alone.

But, just as their support for Obama is based more on their own emotions than their candidate’s political philosophy and positions on the issues so too was their Bush-hatred emotionally-based.  At a holiday party in December, a Democratic acquaintance raged against Bush and the “right-wing” for creating the mess we’re in.

What policies, I asked, had he enacted which created this mess?  He couldn’t answer, but just said “they’d” been in power.  I pressed my point.  He replied that he didn’t want to have this conversation with a Republican and stalked away.

Others, when pressed, have cited the deregulation of the Bush years.  So, when I ask them to identify particular laws the Republican Congress enacted and the Republican President signed to deregulate the financial markets, I was met with a similar silence.  Indeed, the claims of Obama and his supporters “notwithstanding, the Bush Administration was hardly about deregulation.”  Bush, according to George Mason University’s Veronique de Rugy “was the biggest regulator since Nixon.”

Which brings me back to Leah’s point that Obama worship is the flip side of Bush hatred.  They love the one without knowing what he stands for and loath the other while mispresenting his record.

1. It’s all about emotion and skin color. Any other election, Comrade Obama would have been laughed back to Chicago. Kerry made a better candidate.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 20, 2009 @ 12:59 am - January 20, 2009

2. Obama is the President of stupid people.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 20, 2009 @ 10:17 am - January 20, 2009

3. BWAHAHAHAHA.

The show is on the other foot. I remember well the disbelief than any could vote for W. I was a cranky sore loser. Now it’s your turn. Knock yourself out. But I can tell you from experience that it doesn’t make you feel any better or accomplish anything.

Comment by Houndentenor — January 20, 2009 @ 10:22 am - January 20, 2009

4. And yet Houndentenor still does it and continues to do it.

He exemplifies the intelligence of the Obama supporter; they know that their hatred of Bush is irrational, they know that it doesn’t make them feel better or accomplish anything, but they still continue to do it.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 20, 2009 @ 2:05 pm - January 20, 2009

5. NDT, one might almost say of Bush haters “It’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to Bush hatred or religion-bashing, or antipathy to people who don’t agree with them …”

Comment by V the K — January 20, 2009 @ 7:00 pm - January 20, 2009

6. [...] Related: “Obama worship is the flip side of Bush hatred. They love the one without knowing what he [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » CULT OF PERSONALITY: “I pledge to be a servant to our president and all mankind.” And some relat… — January 22, 2009 @ 12:00 pm - January 22, 2009

7. What, you didn’t like “Here Come the Brides”?

Comment by exhelodrvr — January 22, 2009 @ 12:21 pm - January 22, 2009

8. [...] moments ago, when (surprisingly and to my great delight), I discovered that Glenn had just linked a post I had written on Monday, in following another link in his post, I found Ann Althouse echoed [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The cult “was the campaign” to bring Obama “into power” — January 22, 2009 @ 12:40 pm - January 22, 2009

9. And yet, I don’t see much actual Obama hatred from the right, as much as I see Obama befuddlement. What does he actually stand for? What does he plan to do, and indeed, who is this guy? It’s odd how little real information we have about someone who is covered so heavily in the press.

My own hatred, if you could call it that (it’s more “disgust”) is aimed towards people who tend to either deify or demonize elected officials, depending on their mood and what their friends are doing, without any rational thought process to back it up. I see some conservatives doing that, but it seems to be a defining feature of the left.

Comment by julie — January 22, 2009 @ 12:56 pm - January 22, 2009

10. Bush the laissez-faire President. Because he did not watch the embedded Democrats in the agencies like the EPA and FDA, there are like 19 thousand new pages of regulations. If the deocrats hadn’t called him racist for trying to reform Fanny Mae Freddie Mac, maybe we would have avoided this mess.

As long as Obama doesn’t let Israel get annihilated or get one of our cities nuked, or bring about the great depression, I won’t call him ObamaHitler.

Comment by red — January 22, 2009 @ 1:02 pm - January 22, 2009

11. A lot of the fervor behind Obama has to do with who likes him. For a lot of his fans, the important thing is not so much the man, much less his policies, as it is membership. The cool, hip and glamorous are fans, so if you are a fan you associate yourself with the young, hip and glamorous.
    Who wants to follow the lead of country singers when you can associate with Matt Damon, Jon Stewart and all your favorite rock stars?
    I remember how much it bothered me that The Clash were a bunch of leftists. I loved their music, but I hated their politics. If I had been less firm in my convictions it would have been easy to cheer on the Sandinistas. How could Joe Strummer be wrong?

Comment by dennymack — January 22, 2009 @ 1:13 pm - January 22, 2009

12. That pretty much describes my Dad to a tee. He had no goddamn clue about ANYTHING that EITHER of the candidates planned, nothing about their views, nothing about their histories. He only knew that Bush was a Republican, and that Everything Was Bad Now, and therefore the Republicans were responsible for making everything bad and that’s why he was voting Democrat.

Comment by DensityDuck — January 22, 2009 @ 1:19 pm - January 22, 2009

13. The Obamas are the Perons, and we will become Argentina.

Comment by Dotar Sojat — January 22, 2009 @ 1:47 pm - January 22, 2009

14. ” … What policies, I asked, had he enacted which created this mess? He couldn’t answer, but just said “they’d” been in power. I pressed my point. He replied that he didn’t want to have this conversation with a Republican and stalked away. ….”

ha ha ha. They always do that. I had the same experience at a holiday party. In the course of a conversation this young lady asked me what McCain’s foreign policy was. As i attempted to describe it, she kept interrupting me with “that’s not a policy. Obama has a foreign policy.” Finally I asked her to tell me what Obama’s foreign policy is. She tossed her head scornfully and walked off.

I have had good debates with a few leftists, and I respect them even if I disagree with everything they believe.

Comment by Yehudit — January 22, 2009 @ 2:17 pm - January 22, 2009

15. As I’ve said for a while now (not that anyone would know because I usually address this to my computer screen), Obama is the Messiah because Bush was Satan.

And we thought the left was anti-religion…

Comment by w3bgrrl — January 22, 2009 @ 3:09 pm - January 22, 2009

16. They Came In Prada, For All Mankind…

Victor Davis Hanson has “An Uneasy Feeling”–and who can blame him?I distilled from the press coverage and the crowds and the punditry yesterday that for all too many suddenly a vote for Obama redeems America. Now, to paraphrase Michelle Obama,……

Trackback by Ed Driscoll.com — January 22, 2009 @ 4:02 pm - January 22, 2009

17. can’t answer

don’t know

can’t remember

Democrats.

Comment by Paul A'Barge — January 22, 2009 @ 4:12 pm - January 22, 2009

18. That pretty much describes my Dad to a tee. He had no goddamn clue about ANYTHING that EITHER of the candidates planned, nothing about their views, nothing about their histories. He only knew that Bush was a Republican, and that Everything Was Bad Now, and therefore the Republicans were responsible for making everything bad and that’s why he was voting Democrat.

The following is is not a knock on your dad personally, because there are millions like him, including my own folks. But the perspective you’ve described is itself far more dangerous than any actual politician could be.

That’s because it implicitly buys into the notion that government, led by the president, “runs” the country, which of course entails stuff like “handling” the economy. As long as this is what Americans now collectively believe — without even questioning whether it SHOULD be that way — then the game is permanently rigged in favor of the left.

The idea of America has been dying a steady death for more than a century. The bombast on display this week on the Washington Mall was merely the latest evidence: We are a nation of people who not only want to elect “leaders” and “rulers” — we’re a nation of people who aren’t even aware that such a concept is antithetical to basic American ideals.

This is no longer a situation where the left is trying to move us that direction and Americans are consciously accepting or rejecting the concept. The concept is now cemented. It’s intrinsic and unquestioned. Our folks and the vast majority of their fellow citizens don’t conceive of things in any other way. They fail to protest not because they don’t want to protest, per se, but because the notion of limited government simply isn’t part of the paradigm in which their thinking takes place.

The American ideal is dead, and not because of some guy named Barack Obama. It’s dead because of the millions of people we by habit still call “Americans,” though that’s the farthest thing from what they actually are.

Comment by Parrish — January 22, 2009 @ 8:55 pm - January 22, 2009

19. [...] adds that she hopes now “the trickery is over.” Gay Patriot: has thoughts in the same vein in an excellent [...]

Pingback by From Email: Fairness, Life, Secrecy, Caroline | The Anchoress — January 22, 2009 @ 9:16 pm - January 22, 2009

20. Excellently put, Parrish. THATGAYCONSERVATIVE is also dead-on in a simpler way. Hmm… you homos aren’t all the same.

Comment by Hilde — January 23, 2009 @ 1:05 pm - January 23, 2009

21. Re the idea of Bush as a “deregulator” – I would suggest to anyone who seriously thinks Bush deregulated any aspect of government: Take a walk into a law library and go find the section for the Code of Federal Regulations; just don’t strain your neck looking up and down the several sections of volumes. And for a chaser…then go and find the tax code! You may decide then and there that a little deregulation just might be a good thing.

Comment by Jackson Laurence — January 23, 2009 @ 4:13 pm - January 23, 2009

22. Houndentenor says, “The show is on the other foot. I remember well the disbelief than any could vote for W. I was a cranky sore loser. Now it’s your turn. Knock yourself out.”

This in response to our gracious host’s comments about the feelings of Obama fans (I don’t say “supporters” because “fans” seems so much more accurate), the most cutting of which was, “They love the one without knowing what he stands for and loath the other while mispresenting his record.” Admittedly that observation is anecdotal (although it’s a whole lot like every anecdote I could share on the subject, and apparently everybody else here too – and at some point doesn’t the plural of “anecdote” become “data”?), but it’s hard for me to perceive anything either cranky or sore-loserish about it; houdentenor, if you’re still out there, what did you hear that I didn’t?

Comment by Jamie — January 26, 2009 @ 7:45 pm - January 26, 2009

23. [...] In his piece, “Bush Hatred and Obama Euphoria Are Two Sides of the Same Coin” in today’s Wall Street Journal, Peter Berkowitz builds on a point I made (building on a comment reader Leah made) nearly two weeks ago,  Obama Worship: Flip Side of Bush Hatred. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Passions of our Liberal Elites:Hating Bush and Loving Obama with Similar Fervor — January 31, 2009 @ 5:30 pm - January 31, 2009

24. [...] RELATED: Obama Worship: Flip Side of Bush Hatred [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Did Hatred for Bush Create Love for Obama? — April 11, 2009 @ 7:00 pm - April 11, 2009