On the Hatred of the (Gay) Left

Welcome Instapundit Readers!  While you’re here, you may want to check out my latest on the president’s stimulus package, The Democrats Must be Crazy, or my post contending that the former president was not polarizing, but his election was because some on the left (including many in the MSM) refuse to accept that the American people could elect a Republican chief executive.

Something just occurred to me as I was going through the comments in our spam filter.  Oftentimes, I find “hate” comments, ad hominem attacks on us, trapped amidst the sex ads.  To be sure I also find legitimate commentary from critics as well as supporters in that file.*

By a margin of at least 19-1, those hate comments come from angry leftists calling us “self-hating,” delusional or whatnot, mean-spirited attacks on us, our party, its leaders or gay Republicans in general.  To be sure, occasionally, I have found mean-spirited missives from anti-gay social conservatives (the 1 (or smaller) in the ratio above).

And that’s what struck me.   We get linked far more often by conservative sites (as we did from Instapundit today) than we do by gay (or liberal) ones.  And yet we get more hate comments from the left, particularly the gay left, a left which constantly derides Republican and their social conservative allies as “haters.”  Indeed, some of them call the GOP the “Party of Hate.”

If conservatives were truly the part of hate, shouldn’t we then get more hate comments from anti-gay social conservatives.

But, maybe they’re just not as mean-spirited as the left contends.

Perhaps, those angry voices on the left call us haters for the same reason they so regularly profess that we venerate George W. Bush while they soon over his successor.  They draw the notion of our hatred from their own psyches, seeing in our behavior what they actually feel, though, of course, they direct their feelings toward different “targets.”

——-*Please note that if you try to post a comment and it does not appear right away, it is likely due to the caprice of that filter.  (Somtime it seems it is trying to take over the blog.) For while it does hold some hate comments, it also contains words defending our posts, so please e-mail me if yours gets caught so I can review it and (in most cases) approve it.

As I wrote out the initial draft of this post in a matter of minutes, not expecting it to get much attention beyond our loyal band of readers, I was surprised and pleased by the Instalink.  Because of the added attention this drew, I cleaned it up a bit, improving its flow, but not altering its content.

1. #40 – Hey gsarcs, glad I could affirm your feelings. And I too run across the “if-you-are-gay-you-are-liberal” bunch all the time. I love to see their faces when I accuse them of being stereotypical bigots for assuming my political orientation.

#46 – Yes, it still does make sense. Most people I know here in Houston (of either persuasion) own guns. Guess that’s why crime has kept dropping here since the 1990s.

Plus, if any loathesome hater ever tries anything on me, well, I’ve got the difference cocked and loaded in my right hand. Enough said.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 23, 2009 @ 4:53 pm - January 23, 2009

2. Getting back to gsarcs’ meme – doesn’t anyone remember Lucy and Desi, the first ever biracial couple ever portrayed on TV? They were as conservative as they came. Yet somehow people still equate any biracial couple as being liberal!

In fact, when Walter Winchell dropped the bomb about Lucy’s so-called Communist leanings, it was Desi who spoke up and said that he and Lucy were against communism and that he had fled Cuba for just such a reason. The best line of them all was when Desi replied: “The only thing red about Lucy is her hair – and even THAT is not legitimate!”

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 23, 2009 @ 4:56 pm - January 23, 2009

3. #44 – Francisco, good point. To use a libtard argument, “everybody knows” that the Ivy League is filled with nothing but communists. 😉

I think much of what drives the GayLeftLib borg is that their inner 4-year-old still has control of their bodies. The more intolerant they are, the more shrill they get.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 23, 2009 @ 4:59 pm - January 23, 2009

4. I’m a white, heterosexual, Conservative Christian male. I’ve had gay friends. How long we remained friendly never depended on me, because I would always treat them as a child of God. I don’t go around looking for the mote in other people’s eyes.

How long we remained friendly always revolved around whether they respected me and my views. The same things goes for American Blacks. I had a Nigerian Black friend who got on, with me, like gangbuster. Why? Because he never tried to push any guilt on me as American Blacks often will. He was willing to disagree with me without imputing that I was insane for believing what I do.

Do I believe that homosexuality is sinful? Sure–mildly so. Much in the same way that I consider smoking cigarettes to be sinful. That is, Smoking is harmful and repugnant in a variety of ways, so it is best to resist the urge to smoke. Since Homosexuality is so emotionally charged, Let me talk about it in terms of smoking.

If someone smokes privately, that is none of my business. Of course, there are physical ramifications: it makes their bodies and clothes stink. But, it would be rude of me to remark upon. A polite society would let such differences pass on–unremarked.

What I don’t like is when a person tries to force their lifestyle on me. I may request that a person not smoke around me. But, blowing smoke in my face would be a direct provocation. Telling me that I am wrong for not smoking is an insult. Any political action designed to make smoking accepted as “normal and universal” would be offensive. As would promoting the practice of smoking to children in school.

I could talk against the practice of smoking without exhibiting any fear or hatred–any phobias. I could confront the advocates of smoking without demeaning them as people. I need not dehumanize them. As a Christian, I should not, because that would be my sin. We are supposed to hate the sin, not the sinner.

The problem here is the practice of the Left. They do dehumanize people; They do get abusive, presumptuous, accusative and demeaning. This is the method of Saul Alinski in his book, “Rules for Radicals.” Saul’s method is win political arguments by stifling speech. But, the truth wins out eventually, because the harm that people do to themselves is self evident.

Both Smoking and Homosexuality shortens people’s lives. Before HIV broke out, homosexuals had an average life expectancy of 52 when it was 70 for a heterosexual male. Every Homosexual, who I have known, has been unhappy.

Polls repeatedly show that Christians live longer, happier, more fulfilled lives. This fact cannot be hidden, no matter how much Politically Correct propaganda is promulgated. Christians don’t need laws to force our values on people, nor judges to invent “rights” for us out of thin air.

It is not Homosexuality that bothers me, but Homosexual Activism. I dislike it because it is propagandistic. It demeans a person’s intellect.

Comment by Louis Wheeler — January 23, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - January 23, 2009

5. Living in San Francisco as a “closet con” I witness a lot of liberal hatred. I am always astounded by what I see and hear, always from well-educated people who think of themselves as compassionate and kind. They exude a smug self-righteousness that is nothing short of repellent. looking down on anyone with whom they disagree. And because they feel so dominant within the culture, they know they can spew hatred, and everyone around them will smile.

Comment by DebbieSym — January 23, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - January 23, 2009

6. Does anyone remember an experiment by a liberal writer during the 2004 election? This writer went into conservative enclaves wearing Kerry/Edwards buttons, T-shirt, caps, etc. He expected to be spit on and sneered at and run out of town. Instead, people either ignored him or were very friendly and polite. Nobody was hateful.

BUT when he went into liberal towns wearing Bush/Cheney paraphenalia, he was given the finger, spit at, yelled at, and even threatened with violence. It totally changed his preconceived notions of liberal/conservative.

Comment by DebbieSym — January 23, 2009 @ 5:16 pm - January 23, 2009

7. Also (at the risk of posting too many items in a row) perhaps you saw the video during the last election of McCain/Palin supporters peacefully marching down a street in Manhattan.

The video shows the intense hatred directed at the marchers by liberals in the street, even though the marchers were quiet and polite and non-threatening. The video is very powerful evidence of the nastiness of liberals.

Comment by DebbieSym — January 23, 2009 @ 5:19 pm - January 23, 2009

8. Ellen — January 23, 2009:
    “I’m trans, and had to leave the local groups simply because they wouldn’t leave me alone. I wasn’t far-left, so I got likened to a Jewish Nazi.”

I’ve had similar experiences with “the community” where I live, and from “allies” who also assume that, because I’m T, I must be liberal and hence, am in on the snarky, snarly, insulting comments made toward Right-leaning folks.

Comment by Kellie — January 23, 2009 @ 5:20 pm - January 23, 2009

9. #52 – I recall the “experiment” and that the man got very different receptions in the two communities. I do not recall that he was physically threatened (can’t say one way or the other) but he did experience much more hostility and unpleasantness as a “Bush/Cheney” supporter.

While on the topic of how people treat others and who is nice, I would recommend the book Who Really Cares by Arthur Brooks. Brooks also had an interesting piece in today’s WSJ about how conservative philanthropy is more inelastic than liberal philantrophy (meaning that conservatives will be less likely to drop their charitable giving during this recession) than liberals. Ironically, the overwhelmingly liberal people who run non-profits and universities are going to have to depend even more on the generosity of those they often bash. They had better hope that conservative charitable giving is as consistent in tough times as Brooks asserts.

Comment by Francisco — January 23, 2009 @ 5:28 pm - January 23, 2009

10. GP,

Your lifestyle is not mine. But I like most conservatives take the view — its none of our business what the heck you do with yourself. As long as it does not impinge on others enjoyment of the same rights, go for it.

The left on the other hand has a belief in control. The outcome justifies the means to be able to tell you what to do with yourself. Their gene pool demands your obedience.

Now I will point out something that probably does not apply to you. The extreme gay activist movement is shooting themselves in the foot. The best example right now is the Prop 8 mess out in Calif. The gay community in my view could have made a decent case that parity in matters sexual is a civil rights issue. But knocking down old ladies will not advance their cause. Fact it sets it back.

Comment by JohnMc — January 23, 2009 @ 5:35 pm - January 23, 2009

11. I’ve noticed that for perhaps the past 10 years, there has been a marked decline of homophobia among college aged students. It’s simply a matter of time before all the discrimination that Republicans use (strictly as a matter of getting votes) disappears. Then gays can really be liberal, conservative, or whatever their political inclinations are. It’s hard to see now how anyone gay can be Republican, it seems a strange form of marytrdom. The attempt to put discrimination laws in state constitutions is because the people promoting them also know that time is not on their side.
    A quick comment for Francisco, I grew up in South Dakota, a red state. It’s an interesting thing that the rural red states almost always receive more federal dollars than they pay in. The term is Republican welfare states.

Comment by Mark Anderson — January 23, 2009 @ 5:54 pm - January 23, 2009

12. […] On the Hatred of the (Gay) Left […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Conservative Straw Men the Left Set Up to Burn — January 23, 2009 @ 6:07 pm - January 23, 2009

13. This is a familiar and frankly overworked meme on gay conservative blogs. Do I think the “gay left”, which is really just another term for “most gays” is a bit shrill and ad hominem when it comes to gay conservatives? Of course I do. But do I think liberal gays are more “hateful” than gay conservatives? Not really. There is plenty of ill will toward liberals and the so-called “gay left” coming from your side as well. There is a reflexive human impulse to demonize the other, and gay conservatives fit that bill quite nicely within the larger gay context. But it’s the fact that you’re conservative that they can’t stand, so it stands to reason that you would get more venom from the left than the right on a site like this, doesn’t it? It also stands to reason that any conservative site that deigns to link you, like the gay-friendly Instapundit, will be less concerned with your sexuality than your politics. In other words, you probably don’t get much attention from Focus on the Family, do you? So this childish game of trying to determine which side of the sad partisan bickering that stands for political discourse online is more hateful strikes me as rather silly and meaningless. Just my 2 cents.

Comment by Aatom — January 23, 2009 @ 6:21 pm - January 23, 2009

14. Speaking of misconceptions: The WSJ has an article by Arthur C. Brooks, discussing charity donations by liberals and conservatives. It seems that conservatives are much more liberal in donations than liberals. The liberals seem to have a hard time with putting their actions where their mouths are.

Comment by james conley — January 23, 2009 @ 6:31 pm - January 23, 2009

15. “I grew up in South Dakota, a red state. It’s an interesting thing that the rural red states almost always receive more federal dollars than they pay in. The term is Republican welfare states.”

did it ever occur to you that it is because fewer people live in those states and yet they still have to maintain freeways, federal and state infrastructure and other federal programs. If there are only a million people in Idaho and they still have to maintain an interstate freeway and large swaths of public land, that whole per capita thing becomes and issue.

But I found your point interesting in that it just seems so funny of a thing to complain about on this thread. Those dam* flyover people. White trash on welfare, all of them. Good thing you are so much better and smarter than those welfare receiving red state bigots.

Comment by rebecca — January 23, 2009 @ 6:53 pm - January 23, 2009

16. “we just need to hold a mirror up to it”

If you would also be good if you do that for yourself and your “allies”, you would see that in the end, it’s exactly the same. I’m not doubting anyone’s personal experiences since the majority who post here are conservative I wouldn’t expect to see many stories of hatred from the right.

“Christian conservaties welcome gays in their congregations, and generally don’t care what you do in your bedrooms and will accept you for who you are. You are free to think and do as you please until you start demanding that THEY think and do as YOU please.”

That’s a blanket statement that is in many if not most cases NOT true. You are free to think and do as you please as long as you keep it hidden. “Repentant” homosexuals are welcome but openly gay “active” homosexuals are not. If they only way you are welcomed is if you hide your life, then you’re not really welcome. Sure there are many churches that fit your description and my personal experience has been mostly positive but it is wrong to whitewash the truth. For many Christians, acknowledging your sexual orientation and considering it good and nothing to be ashamed of IS “flaunting” and forcing it in people’s faces. In reality though if you could take an honest look, most gays/liberals do not claim that ALL Christians hate gays.

“Both Smoking and Homosexuality shortens people’s lives. Before HIV broke out, homosexuals had an average life expectancy of 52 when it was 70 for a heterosexual male” Every Homosexual, who I have known, has been unhappy.”

Pure BS! One can truthfully make the claim that promiscuity shortens people’s lives but only those brainwashed by the Paul Cameron school of pseudo-science will say what you just did. Your last sentence only proves that you know a bunch of unhappy people, not that homosexuals as a group are unhappy.

Comment by a different Dave — January 23, 2009 @ 7:06 pm - January 23, 2009

17. I’ve been a supporter of the “Pink Pistols” for years!

Guess that’s why, while I have all sorts of “hang-ups” about the gay lifestyle in general, I’ve been friends with a number of gay individuals over the years and would support them to the bitter end!

Comment by John Gardner — January 23, 2009 @ 8:17 pm - January 23, 2009

18. GPW,

You are exactly on target.

It was entirely expected that left wingers would constitute the great weight of your hate mail.

On our side, I hope to see even more inclusiveness and tolerance. Let’s hope that more straight conservatives come around to the idea that gays are our natural allies, cherishing individual freedom and appreciating how wonderful this country is.

best regards,
    Jude in Houston

Comment by Jude — January 23, 2009 @ 8:22 pm - January 23, 2009

19. #61 – What is your point? If you are implying that the redistribution of federal dollars from “blue” states to “red” states is somehow comparable to VOLUNTARY charitable donations, you are mistaken. We are told how much federal tax we will pay and have no say in how it is distributed.

I have lived in several blue states that get poor “return” for their federal tax dollars. Merely living in these states did not prove that I cared more about my fellow man.

Comment by Francisco — January 23, 2009 @ 8:48 pm - January 23, 2009

20. Keep hate alive — vote Democrat!

Comment by timstevens — January 23, 2009 @ 8:52 pm - January 23, 2009

21. As someone who spent most of her life on the left, I agree with most commenters. No one denies there is intolerance on the right, but it has come to define the left. Dissent is not allowed, despite their “dissent is patriotic” mantra during the Bush years. The left now owns intolerance, bigotry, racism, sexism and homophobia. All of these are hallmarks of the media and academia. Tom Hanks having to apologize for bigoted and unthinking remarks is a nearly daily story on the left – always speaking without thinking and having to apologize when outrage ensues.

To me, a prime explanation for why conservatives tend not to attack liberals (verbally, attacking their property, etc.) is because we respect privacy and good manners generally. Privacy is scorned by the left, despite all their platitudes, and the proof is their overt verbal attacks and physical threats. For them, no one is allowed privacy – the privacy of thought, of belief, of ideology. They have to challenge, in order to categorize and then either praise as comrade or scorn as enemy. Who starts political discussions and fights? It is almost always lefties. Most conservatives I know never bring the subject up (certainly not at work or in social situations). It’s not just that it starts fights we don’t want; it’s also just plain rude.

As for gays, plenty of conservatives have gay friends, relatives, children, etc. It’s ridiculous to say we hate gays. We by and large want to live and let live but also want intruders to “get offa my lawn” (to quote the ideology of FredHeads as defined on RedState). The real tragedy is that gays are used and abused by the left to advance an agenda that is not designed to benefit gays so much as it is designed to destroy custom, civility, gentility, morality, privacy – all things despised by the left (Alinsky again). Gays are tools to the left, as are all groups as defined by the grievance industry. Gays (and women, and blacks, and basically everyone except straight, white males) who go off the reservation by being conservative are traitors, apostates, worthy of projecting all the loathing and excoriation the left can muster.

The liberals I work with stated straight out they would never vote for a Mormon. I’m not Mormon and I was offended. They whisper rudely about gay and black employees and propose that high level female managers got there on their backs. The racism, sexism and homophobia on the left is in their chromosomes. It’s truly amazing, but when you view and hear the constant hate, it’s undeniable. They seem to be miserable, self-hating people and thus have to project it onto their ideological enemies in order to feel superior.

Sorry for the long post.

Comment by Peg C. — January 23, 2009 @ 9:04 pm - January 23, 2009

22. #68 – Hey Jude (apologies to the Beatles) – live in Memorial Heights. You?

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 23, 2009 @ 10:44 pm - January 23, 2009

23. #71 – Peg, welcome to the light away from the Dark Side of the Force.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 23, 2009 @ 10:44 pm - January 23, 2009

24. Pure BS! One can truthfully make the claim that promiscuity shortens people’s lives but only those brainwashed by the Paul Cameron school of pseudo-science will say what you just did.

And once again, our board leftist demonstrates quite nicely how anyone who dares express a difference of opinion is immediately quashed, insulted, and demeaned by “tolerant” leftists like himself.

They don’t even recognize they’re doing it.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — January 24, 2009 @ 12:13 am - January 24, 2009

25. […] The Barack Obama Body Count The Right Coast: Atlas Shrugged wasn’t fiction Gay Patriot: On the Hatred of the (Gay) Left Bob McCarty: GITMO Detainees Likely to Thank MLK, Allah Scrappleface: ‘War On Terror’ […]

Pingback by Weekend Links : Stop The ACLU — January 24, 2009 @ 1:31 am - January 24, 2009

26. I guess ADD didn’t like what he saw in the mirror when it was held up.

Comment by V the K — January 24, 2009 @ 9:53 am - January 24, 2009

27. #76 – V, I thought that vampires didn’t cast any reflections in mirrors.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 24, 2009 @ 11:46 am - January 24, 2009

28. […] Daniel Blatt, writing for Gay Patriot - a blog linked to and read mostly by conservatives - wonders why hate mail they get from the left outweighs hate mail from the right by 19-1. It may be that when you identify with a political view that is by reputation anti-racist and […]

Pingback by A theory of left-wing antisemitism « The General Wolfe — January 24, 2009 @ 7:50 pm - January 24, 2009

29. […] Scariest Chart ever?: Well, One of them Celebrate diversity: But not of thought. Not…of thought. Imperialism is terrible: Unless it’s not. Not that I accept for a moment the argument that […]

Pingback by Aboard Air Force One & More | The Anchoress — January 25, 2009 @ 3:08 pm - January 25, 2009

30. Thank you, a different Dave, for confirming what I said earlier was true. Your response was exactly what the Left do.

I made a calm statement. You called it BS, without proof. You could have demanded that I provide evidence to back up my contentions, but you did not. Perhaps, you knew that I had the evidence ready to spring on you. Otherwise, I would have never piped up.

I thought I laid out my case rather well, but I can see three or four places where it could be logically attacked. You did not choose a logical attack, but a mere denial. That is rather weak–pathetic.

Comment by Louis Wheeler — January 25, 2009 @ 5:04 pm - January 25, 2009

31. I don’t see much contradiction in being gay and republican.I know a handfull of gay republicans and they are normal to the point of boring. Not that there is anything wrong with being boring….

laura

Comment by laura — January 26, 2009 @ 2:25 pm - January 26, 2009

32. […] ….vote Democratic! […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » KEEP HATE ALIVE…. — January 27, 2009 @ 12:37 am - January 27, 2009

33. […] You couldn’t possibly be more wrong. […]

Pingback by Stones Cry Out - If they keep silent… » Gay-Bashing (from the Left) — January 27, 2009 @ 12:27 pm - January 27, 2009