Joy Behar Says Obama Too Perfect for Mockery**

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 4:18 am - January 27, 2009.
Filed under: Media Bias,Obamania

Welcome Instapundit Readers!!  Please note that I have tweaked this post slightly now that I have found the transcript online.

No wonder President Obama doesn’t want Republicans listening to Rush Limbaugh.  That conservative radio talk show host represents one of the few outspoken talking heads in the media who has not yet fallen under the president’s spell.

On Sunday night, while doing my cardio, I caught what appeared to be rebroadcast of an episode of Larry King Live.  King asked The View‘s Joy Behar why comedians didn’t make fun of the new president found it “hard for the comics to have fun with.”  The comedienne replied that this prez was just too perfect.*

Can you imagine how the media would react if a conservative had chastised a comedian for making fun of former President George W. Bush because he was “too perfect” “kind of really perfect”?  A few google searches yielded no mainstream criticism of Miss Behar’s panegyric to the president (not even on the right–maybe that’s because no one else was watching?)  [UPDATE:  Since this piece got picked up on Instapundit, conservatives have begun chiming in.]

It is truly frightening that a comedian in a free society would think her president’s too perfect for mockery perfection made him difficult to make fun of.

One of the great things about our democracy is that we can mock our leaders.  Ms. Behar and her ilk seemed to delight in such mockery up until the current president’s inauguration.  Now, she finds the incumbent too perfect.

What does it say about someone who finds a politician too perfect for mockery?

And what does it say about her insight into politics if she offer this as the reason for the dearth of late-night jokes about the president?  So enamored is Behar with the president, that she is blind to the googly-eyed adulation her media peers feel for the president.

*The transcript of King’s show is not yet up.  When I click on the “icon” on the show’s archive page, I get a page with no transcript, just this statement:  “Joy Behar on Barack Obama’s historic inauguration! Why she thinks he’s got the right stuff for the tough times ahead. It’s all politics with Joy Behar!“  All politics?  I thought she was a comedienne.  (Someone else did catch the episode, recalled it a bit differently than I, but does recall that Ms. Behar thought Obama’s perfection made it tough for comedians to make fun of him.)

When the transcript comes out, I was certainly have more to say about this–as I hope will other bloggers and pundits.

UP-DATE.  Transcript is up.  And it’s not quite as I remember it, but pretty darn close:

KING: OK, is this administration going to be hard for the comics to have fun with?

BEHAR: Yes. And all I can say is thank you for Joe Biden, because he is going to always give us some laughs. He’ll say something crazy and out there, and it will be fun. And Sarah Palin, you know, we can always rely on her to come back and give us some material. But it is really not easy to make fun of the Obamas, because they’re really — they’re kind of really perfect, aren’t they?

Thanks to John from Powerline who tracked down the transcript while I was healing from a headache.

**Only after this post was linked on another blog, did I realize how this title could be mis-read, as if Behar thought the president was a perfect candidate for mockery, i.e., ideal for making fun of.  That’s what happens when you tap out a post in the wee hours of the morning.  Had I been more awake, I would have tweaked it a bit, perhaps as “Joy Behar thinks Obama Too Perfect to be Mocked [or Made Fun of].”

Guess her reputation precedes her because no one read the title as meaning that the president was a perfect candidate for mockery.  Well, if they did, they didn’t let me know.

1. To perfect, give me a break. You may have heard of Zo or not, but he does a great job of getting his point across about BHO.

Comment by EDinTampa — January 27, 2009 @ 4:31 am - January 27, 2009

2. http://machosauceproductions.com/

Really fun to listen and watch this guy.

Comment by EDinTampa — January 27, 2009 @ 4:32 am - January 27, 2009

3. They’re still in love! Give it a year and see how they’re treating him then.

Comment by David — January 27, 2009 @ 6:29 am - January 27, 2009

4. “All hail our messiah…”

Comment by (un-American) V the K — January 27, 2009 @ 7:26 am - January 27, 2009

5. Consider the source . . . Behar’s IQ is less than the sum of her digits.

Comment by rplat — January 27, 2009 @ 10:11 am - January 27, 2009

6. Once again, Joy opens her mouth and removes all doubt that she’s an idiot.

PS – Joy, Bette Middler called. She wants her wig and makeup back.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 27, 2009 @ 10:45 am - January 27, 2009

7. Edintampa, I second the call to watch Alfonzo Rachel (the guy who puts out machosause) He can also be found on Big Hollywood.
    Only thing is, one gets a little dizzy watching him, he doesn’t stay still for a second!

And for more sanity, read VDH, the antidote to all the messiah worship.

Comment by Leah — January 27, 2009 @ 11:51 am - January 27, 2009

8. What qualifies Joy to be a political pundit? She and Whoopi are two reasons why I never watch The View. When I saw the clip of McCain´s visit and the manner in which he was treated, especially by Barbara Walters who never looked at him once, I thought was really low class.

Comment by Roberto — January 27, 2009 @ 12:21 pm - January 27, 2009

9. Harpies

Comment by American Elephant — January 27, 2009 @ 2:53 pm - January 27, 2009

10. I watched The Spew only once. I have often seen clips on FOX, but I have watched it from start to finish but once. These carbuncles of near femininity could not start their day without first drinking a quart of cheap vinegar. (I exempt Elizabeth Hasseltarget.)

Barbara Walters is only seen through the vaseline coated lens that fails to ameliorate the HD truth. Joy and Whoopi are about as subtile and talented as the usual “whoopee” cushion from the novelty shop.

They play to their crowd of fellow toe suckers and sneer at everything beyond their closed twit and twitter circle.

Of all of them, it is Walters I most dislike. She has such a high view of the value of her biography that she considers herself and her tacky life as being of historic note. Once she lisps her last breath, she will be just another case of forgotten celebrity dry rot.

Comment by heliotrope — January 27, 2009 @ 7:49 pm - January 27, 2009

11. I think we should all be happy for the Jews that they’ve finally identified their messiah.

Comment by Rob — January 27, 2009 @ 8:15 pm - January 27, 2009

12. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Liberal comics, clearly, are all unpatriotic.

Comment by New Frontiersman — January 27, 2009 @ 8:18 pm - January 27, 2009

13. Too perfect? Barack Uhhhhbama?

I doubt I’ll ever get as worked up about this president as some on the left did about Bush, but Obama has more than a few personality traits to be mined for comedy.

Comment by Cover Me, Porkins — January 27, 2009 @ 8:21 pm - January 27, 2009

14. Behar, is a comedienne? Does she do standup, or on her back?

Comment by Don CeSar — January 27, 2009 @ 8:25 pm - January 27, 2009

15. The MSM will never turn on President Obama. That would require admitting that they’d been punked.

Comment by Letalis Maximus, Esq. — January 27, 2009 @ 8:27 pm - January 27, 2009

16. [...] Obamedy — buttle @ 17:41 Looks like I won’t have much Obamedy competition from the late-night shows. On Sunday night, while doing my cardio, I caught what appeared to be rebroadcast of an episode of [...]

Pingback by Too Perfect « Buttle’s World — January 27, 2009 @ 8:41 pm - January 27, 2009

17. Comment by heliotrope — January 27, 2009

Don’t hold back…tell us how do you really feel? :-)

Comment by Pious Agnostic — January 27, 2009 @ 8:45 pm - January 27, 2009

18. http://www.thepeoplescube.com/

is always good for a tweak of the One’s nose.

Comment by Barnabus — January 27, 2009 @ 8:54 pm - January 27, 2009

19. The View’s Askew. What’s New?…

> Joy Behar Says Obama Too Perfect for Mockery” href=”http://www.gaypatriot.net/2009/01/27/joy-behar-says-obama-too-perfect-for-mockery/”>Gay Patriot writes, “Joy Behar Says Obama Too Perfect for Mockery”:On Sunday night, while doing my cardio, I …

Trackback by Ed Driscoll.com — January 27, 2009 @ 9:06 pm - January 27, 2009

20. Too perfect? I recall he kept telling us he had a funny name, in fact, he wouldn’t shut up about it. Well, if he was concerned about having a funny name, he shouldn’t have called attention to it by wearing that ridiculous bathing suit. After he pointed it out, I have to agree that Borat Obama IS a funny name…..

Comment by Phil — January 27, 2009 @ 9:07 pm - January 27, 2009

21. Interesting that the only other episode within (at least) two weeks that does not have a transcript is today’s and this one. Yesterday w/ Blago, no problem.

Comment by anomdebus — January 27, 2009 @ 9:13 pm - January 27, 2009

22. is always good for a tweak of the One’s nose.

Nose? With all that ear to work with?

Comment by Saint Patton — January 27, 2009 @ 9:19 pm - January 27, 2009

23. Joy believes BHO is too perfect for mockery. Everyone else chuckles to themselves and understands that Joy Behar will never enjoy that status. Not in a million years. Ridiculing her takes no effort. Kind of like The View itself, the perfect program for half-witted women.

Comment by MikeD — January 27, 2009 @ 10:08 pm - January 27, 2009

24. The left has no real sense of humor. Lefties will laugh enthusiastically at political “humor” that is simply sarcasm aimed at conservatives or Republicans and they love shock humor which is just slapsick with a nasty edge. But real humor escapes them. They take themselves and their world view far too seriously to enjoy simply fun.

In a sense they’re puritans, and the whole structure of liberalism is as off limits as the Bible might be to literalists. Or the Koran to those who believe in it. Behar is as likely to make a joke about Obama as the Pope is take make one about Jesus. It just isn’t done.

Comment by Ken Hahn — January 27, 2009 @ 10:09 pm - January 27, 2009

25. Bruce,
    My brother and I were watching a segment of “the VIew” with Joyce B.he remarked she seemed a “less attractive Bette Midler.”Need one say more?

Comment by Corwin — January 27, 2009 @ 10:29 pm - January 27, 2009

26. I read where somebody said that “Obama idolatry” is the flip side of “Bush hatred.” Whoever it was, I’m not sure they know just how profoundly right they are.

I don’t know if it’s scary or just bizarre — but we’ve gone from a president that is the embodiment of all that is bad and wrong to a president that is “perfect.”

I couldn’t imagine feeling either way about any politician.

Comment by Scott — January 27, 2009 @ 11:40 pm - January 27, 2009

27. [...] OF SELF-PARODY: Joy Behar Says Obama Too Perfect for Mockery. “No wonder President Obama doesn’t want Republicans listening to Rush [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » DEPARTMENT OF SELF-PARODY: Joy Behar Says Obama Too Perfect for Mockery. “No wonder President Obam… — January 27, 2009 @ 11:54 pm - January 27, 2009

28. Maybe she’s just to tingly to think. BO has that effect on idiots.

Comment by Leslie — January 27, 2009 @ 11:55 pm - January 27, 2009

29. just too perfect

How can she worship him and not have seen his ears??

Comment by HeatherRadish — January 28, 2009 @ 12:04 am - January 28, 2009

30. “What qualifies Joy to be a political pundit?”

Same thing that qualifies the rest of them: a big mouth and tunnel vision.

Comment by Jim Treacher — January 28, 2009 @ 12:15 am - January 28, 2009

31. What do you expect of Joy Behar?

It’s amazing that someone that stupid can even talk. :)

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — January 28, 2009 @ 12:49 am - January 28, 2009

32. I don’t know what you’re so surprised/disturbed. Joy Behar is a liberal, so it makes sense that she would make fun of Bush a lot but not Obama. Why exactly is that a problem for you? She’s a comedian, not an objective journalist; her job is not to be fair and balanced. I’m sure conservative comedians make fun of Obama. Maybe there are just fewer conservative comedians out there.

Comment by Luke — January 28, 2009 @ 1:11 am - January 28, 2009

33. I’m surprised no one has brought up this unbelievable doozy from 2006:

This is a clip from The View on the day it was reported that Democratic Senator Tim Johnson had suffered a stroke following brain surgery. Behar poses the question of whether there is such a thing as a “man-made stroke,” suggesting that perhaps the Republicans had caused Johnson to have a stroke to end his Senate career. Uncomfortable laughter ensues as it becomes clear that Behar apparently isn’t joking (“I know what this party is capable of.”) Rosie says nothing and just looks down at her notecards. I think it’s safe to say that when Rosie O’Donnell won’t even sign on to your anti-Republican conspiracy theory, the diagnosis is conclusive: you’re a crazy f-ing bi*ch.

Comment by Sean A — January 28, 2009 @ 1:19 am - January 28, 2009

34. Oooh, now you’re getting linked by Powerline.

Comment by American Elephant — January 28, 2009 @ 2:27 am - January 28, 2009

35. The Great disillusionment of Obama has not yet begun–Give it a year. Obama has to DO something first and fail at it. He cannot continue to vote “present.”

The fact is that many people bought Obama “sight unseen.” They voted for his image, not his actuality. I’m still waiting for his substance to appear; so far, all I’ve seen are meaningless theatrics.

Signing to close Guantanamo in a year, allows a year for reality to reassert itself. It allows “Not in MY backyard” to creep into the discussion as Governors refuse to allow unlawful combatant detainees to be housed in their state.

The Left won’t make jokes about Obama, but his image will slip. Then, we can all have fun mocking him.

“Too Perfect” Obama is just as good enough a name for him as was Wrong Way Corrigan.

Obama is likely to do the political equivalent of flying to Ireland from New York when he was aiming for California.

Comment by Louis Wheeler — January 28, 2009 @ 2:39 am - January 28, 2009

36. Chris rock said the same thing (more or less) about Obama.
    There are just some people who are impossible to make jokes about.
    Like Will Smith. Try to make fun of Will Smith. It’s impossible.

Comment by diesel mcfadden — January 28, 2009 @ 4:16 am - January 28, 2009

37. I got linked by Powerline once… it was wonderful!

Comment by V the K — January 28, 2009 @ 7:24 am - January 28, 2009

38. [...] View’s Joy Behar explained on Larry King Live that the reason for the comedy gap is because Barack Obama is [...]

Pingback by Never Yet Melted » Why Don’t Comedians Mock Obama? — January 28, 2009 @ 8:43 am - January 28, 2009

39. Well, I must admit I don’t find anything funny about Comrade Urkel, myself.

Comment by the bookkeeper — January 28, 2009 @ 9:58 am - January 28, 2009

40. [...] At the moment, I’d say the derangement is mostly present among those who think Obama is too perfect to be mocked. [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » HAS OBAMA DERANGEMENT SYNDROME arrived? At the moment, I’d say the derangement is mostly present … — January 28, 2009 @ 10:24 am - January 28, 2009

41. Uhg…I think Im gonna puke.

Comment by Ian — January 28, 2009 @ 10:40 am - January 28, 2009

42. Wait, Joy Behar is a comedian? Really? Like, she’s a person who is makes a living being funny? I knew about Whoopi and Rosie being professional comediennes (and I kinda liked Rosie’s comedy, back in the day), but I would never have suspected that Joy Behar ever made any kind of a living as a comic. Huh.

Comment by Independent — January 28, 2009 @ 10:44 am - January 28, 2009

43. If Joy thinks she´s a comedienne then she needs to review the work of the the late great comedien, Bob Hope. No president from FDR to Bill Clinton was too perfect to be exempt. Ronald Reagan didn´t think himself too perfect to use self deprecating humor, such as ¨I remember the first Republican Convention I attended when Abraham Lincoln got up to speak.¨ Maybe BHO should do the same, such as I remember when I spent 142 days in nursery school , it wasn´t that much different than my 142 days in the Senate.

Comment by Roberto — January 28, 2009 @ 11:20 am - January 28, 2009

44. Hey, she’s a comedienne! Maybe she was making a joke! Did she pause for the laugh? Did she give a smirk and glance at the camera inviting the viewers into the fun?

(chirp…chirp…chirp…)

Hmmm. I guess Rush is going to have to pick up the slack.

Comment by RightWingNutter — January 28, 2009 @ 12:56 pm - January 28, 2009

45. So let me get this straight: The Golden Calf is too perfect to laugh at, and yet the same mob that worships at BO’s feet has no problems with mocking Jesus Christ. The tipping point approaches. I can’t wait.

Comment by WW — January 28, 2009 @ 1:06 pm - January 28, 2009

46. I happened to catch this part of Larry King’s show as I was channel surfing. My first thought was shame on Larry King, for asking Joy Behar even a fringe political question. It was then I realized that it was the nation that had gone loony when anyone would give a crap about what any of the ladies on the View had to say, with the possible exception of Barbara Walters. During the last election cycle, these ladies honestly believed they were a serious part of the political debate. Only in America…

Comment by Penny — January 28, 2009 @ 1:52 pm - January 28, 2009

47. Joy Behar is such a nothing. Why even discuss her.

Comment by Timber — January 28, 2009 @ 1:59 pm - January 28, 2009

48. Ugh. The idea that Joy(less) Behar is a comedian is the biggest joke going. Want a confession out of a terrorist? Send Joy into the room to do her act.

Comment by Tom, Burbank — January 28, 2009 @ 2:01 pm - January 28, 2009

49. #48 – Or have Baba Wawa service them if they are dark-skinned.

(Shudder)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 28, 2009 @ 2:22 pm - January 28, 2009

50. Are you kidding me Joy?! What about those dopey big ears? 57 states? The never ending stutterring? Or how about his ridiculous messiah cult following? There is plenty to poke fun at.

He’s not my President!!

Comment by Me — January 28, 2009 @ 3:49 pm - January 28, 2009

51. Joy Behar is not a comedienne. She is a shrill, shrewish ideologue who ridicules Republicans as a form of “humor” to provoke a favorable response from her fellow travelers.

Comment by patrick — January 28, 2009 @ 4:12 pm - January 28, 2009

52. What’s interesting is watching liberals suffering from Bi-Polar Disorder. Bush Derangement Syndrome – swing – Obama Adoration Syndrome- swing etc. Without medication they can keep this up forever. No need to think in between swings.

Comment by raven35 — January 28, 2009 @ 5:33 pm - January 28, 2009

53. I CANNOT BELEIVE THAT OBAMA’S ANGELS……OOOPS I MEANT THE VIEW IS STILL ON THE AIR! A BUNCH OF HENS IN A COOP TALKING AT ONE TIME.

Comment by Fluffy P — January 28, 2009 @ 5:51 pm - January 28, 2009

54. [...] Joy Behar, call your office!  Would a perfect being walk into a window? (via [...]

Pingback by UPDATED: Start the Obama Blooper Reel « The Rhetorican — January 28, 2009 @ 6:33 pm - January 28, 2009

55. #48: Are you kidding? The One closed Gitmo over less than that.

Comment by Attmay — January 28, 2009 @ 7:33 pm - January 28, 2009

56. No comedy? How about this:
    or this?
    And this one?

Comment by Rene — January 28, 2009 @ 8:32 pm - January 28, 2009

57. Did anyone catch Joy Behar “trying” to attack Ann Coulter. Does she know how to professionally interview anyone? She was very rude! Has she ever read G. Washington’s Rules of Civility. Maybe this would help her? Ann was her guest on the show! Joy go back to The View

Comment by Leslie Webb — February 19, 2009 @ 10:03 pm - February 19, 2009

58. [...] of the Obamas, because they’re really — they’re kind of really perfect, aren’t they?" — Joy Behar39) Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best [...]

Pingback by The 6th Annual 40 Most Obnoxious Quotes Of 2009 | Right Wing News — January 4, 2010 @ 7:24 am - January 4, 2010

59. [...] 40) But it is really not easy to make fun of the Obamas, because they’re really — they’re kind of really perfect, aren’t they?” – Joy Behar [...]

Pingback by The 40 Most Obnoxious Quotes of 2009 « Curtis Lowe — January 14, 2010 @ 8:48 am - January 14, 2010

60. joy behar is the most disgusting person on the planet