Ethel was a Republican!

Confirmed via the Kellow biography that Ethel Merman did indeed sing at the Gipper’s inaugural so that must be the source of the clip I linked on her birthday.  He and Nancy sent her a telegram to mark her seventy-fifth birthday.

According to John Kenrcik this “lifelong Republican. . .  was a frequent guest at the White House during the Eisenhower administration.

This sure makes up for Barbra’s politics.

1. This sure makes up for Barbra’s politics.

Even some of us lefties wish that empty-headed windbag would shut the hell up already.

BTW, why do so many gay men adore her? I find her just grating no matter what she does and her singing is enough to make me want to shove an icepick in my ear.

Comment by Neptune — January 28, 2009 @ 10:30 am - January 28, 2009

2. I don’t know what affiliation Judy Garland had, and to be frank I don’t care. She was a heckofa singer.

Babs has always been a DNC hound. Per Merv Griffin’s autobiography, when they both showed up to do a benefit for President Kennedy, Babs gave JFK a curtsey and then stuck an autograph book in his face and requested his autograph.

JFK smiled and complied, and every photographer who was there started clicking away. As Merv noted, “she was a smart girl who knew how to get good press.”

The next day, Merv asked Babs if Kennedy had included an inscription with his autograph.

“Yes,” she replied. “He wrote ‘F— You. Love, President Kennedy.’ ”

All class, no a$$, that’s our Miss Buttah.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 28, 2009 @ 10:32 am - January 28, 2009

3. Neptune, I couldn’t agree more. I find her voice annoying at best, nasal and grating at worst. I’ve often thought if she ever broke her nose, her career would be instantly over.

Comment by John in Dublin CA — January 28, 2009 @ 1:56 pm - January 28, 2009

4. #3 – I thought her nose was already broken! You mean it’s natural? (SARC)

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 28, 2009 @ 2:21 pm - January 28, 2009

5. Barbra looks lost.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 28, 2009 @ 4:38 pm - January 28, 2009

6. #5 – Like most liberals.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — January 28, 2009 @ 5:05 pm - January 28, 2009

7. This sure makes up for Barbra’s politics.

Huh?

How the hell do you figure that?

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — January 31, 2009 @ 2:53 am - January 31, 2009

8. Dave, I was trying to be cute. You know how we gay men are supposed to love Barbra, but that becomes difficult when you’re a gay Republican man and she spouts such liberal nonsense.

Now, we have a long-time gay icon who’s one of us, a Republican . . .

Comment by GayPatriotWest — January 31, 2009 @ 3:03 am - January 31, 2009

9. [...] Blogress Diva, her prize hereinafter to be known as the “Ethel” in honor of that Republican most beloved by gay men–Ethel [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » 2010 Grande Conservative Blogress Diva: Let the Nominations Begin — December 11, 2009 @ 8:15 pm - December 11, 2009

10. [...] it seems this late great Republican sang what should become the theme song for the Obama Democrats. Comments [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Ethel Anticipated Barack Obama and Today’s Democrats — December 11, 2009 @ 8:21 pm - December 11, 2009