The “Stimulus:”
A Return to the Politics of the Past
Spending Money That Doesn’t Exist

Senator Tom Coburn, who worked together with the president on legislation when the latter was in the Senate, offers perhaps the best criticism to date of the so-called stimulus:

As a nation, we got into this mess by spending and investing money that didn’t exist. We won’t get out of it by doing more of the same.

Yet this is precisely what this bill proposes we do. Less than 10% of the bill could be considered true stimulus, if one assumes tax credits and infrastructure spending will jolt the economy. The other 90% of the bill represents one of the most egregious acts of generational theft in our nation’s history, with taxpayer money going to special-interest earmarks, an ill-conceived bailout to states, and permanent spending increases that expand government’s reach in areas like health care and education.

He contested his former colleague’s contention that the “stimulus” meant change, holding it represents instead a return to the politics of the past:

Instead of delivering change, this bill celebrates the politics of the past. The bill represents both the mindless partisanship of recent decades, and the failed interventionist policies of the 1930’s. The Senate can, and must, do much better. As currently written, this bill represents the worst act of generational theft in our nation’s history.

If the president is repeatedly decrying the trillion dollar deficits of his predecessor (based on a budget, I might add, passed by a Democratic Congress), why is he trying so hard to increase them?

Yes, I agree we need do something to help “fix” the ailing economy.  But, when has such a vast increase in federal domestic largesse done that?

I just don’t get how someone can so decry deficits and then work to saddle our nation with unprecedented (for a single piece of legislation) amounts of debt.  It’s like a guy who admitting it’s a problem that he’s maxed out his credit cards deciding to go on a spending binge.

1. According to Fox News just now, three Repulbicans have sold our their country, our future, and their party and have agreed to vote for the bill.

Crap.

Comment by Kevin — February 6, 2009 @ 7:26 pm - February 6, 2009

2. Sen. Arlen Spector and Sen. Susan Collins have both voted yes to the SPENDULUS package. I implore all of you to go to their websites and contact them regarding their decisions. I have. And I did not mince words. They deserve every word of shame and disappointment you and I can muster.

What a joke. What a bunch of pushover, gutless, ball-less, worthless, sad excuses for representatives of the American people.

Comment by Vanessa — February 6, 2009 @ 9:00 pm - February 6, 2009

3. All right. This just sucks. I was talking to the Sonic-Mate last night and brought up this exact same point… and I didn’t blog it! Now I can’t get any credit for coming up with that idea independently. 🙁

Comment by Sonicfrog — February 6, 2009 @ 9:04 pm - February 6, 2009

4. Olympia Snowe is the other worthless, ball-less, gutless, shameful, waste of a senator.

Comment by Vanessa — February 6, 2009 @ 9:19 pm - February 6, 2009

5. I emailed Specter and Collins today. I will never vote for another republican is they allow this disaster to pass. I see the Whig party is being reborn, I think that I shall either join the Libertarians or the Whigs, enough already. Our last hope just sold their souls.

Comment by John in Dublin Ca — February 6, 2009 @ 10:01 pm - February 6, 2009

6. Rush Limbaugh was right back in 1993: name one country that ever taxed its way into prosperity.

Sixteen years later, we’re heading backwards, not forwards.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 8, 2009 @ 12:03 pm - February 8, 2009

7. […] steps ….  So where exactly is the change we (?) hoped for???  Forget it.  It’s the same ole way with a Chicago twist […]

Pingback by Obama pushing ACORN to do census and an Afghan ‘out’? « Over-the-Hill Oracles — February 8, 2009 @ 12:08 pm - February 8, 2009

8. #4: Right on, Vanessa. Specter, Snow and Collins need to be taken out back and horse-whipped. We have all heard that tired cliche, “Fiscally I’m a Republican, but socially, I’m a liberal,” which is just a really annoying way that some people apologize for being a Republican. I have always assumed that these fence-riders (who are WORSHIPPED by the NYT for going against their own party) were of the same stripe–so-called “moderate” Republicans because of their objections to some of the predominant social positions of the GOP (i.e. pro tax cuts and pro-choice, etc.).

But what is the deal with these three losers? If you can’t count on a Republican to AT LEAST vote against an unbelievable, unprecedented spending bill stuffed with pork for liberal pet projects (authored by insane Democrats), then why on Earth are they even in the Republican Party? I don’t get it. Voting for this bill AND being a Republican are mutually exclusive. You can’t have both. This is the problem that must be extinguished in the GOP if we are ever going to get anywhere again. These people need to be shown the door and told that we wish them the best, but they are no longer welcome. Have we learned nothing from the election? Palin’s popularity was unstoppable because she campaigned as (and is) a true conservative, but she had a “moderate” running-mate that was selected for us by the NYT solely for his consistent betrayals of his own party. I admire McCain as a man and as a soldier, but politically, he was a sea anchor around Palin’s neck. I’ve HAD IT with this bi-partisan-my-esteemed-colleagues-across-the-aisle crap. It’s obviously not working.

Vanessa, you (and others) will probably enjoy the column I have linked below. In it, the author calls on new RNC Chair Steele to take draconian action against Snow, Specter and Collins because if there are no consequences for these politicians taking action that manifestly abandons the core principles of the party, then we are truly done for.

Comment by Sean A — February 8, 2009 @ 5:08 pm - February 8, 2009

9. Help, I got filtered! I posted comment with a link to a really good column about Steele taking action against Snow, Specter and Collins. Thanks.

Comment by Sean A — February 8, 2009 @ 5:09 pm - February 8, 2009