Bill Moyers: The Power of Outing

Welcome Instapundit and Corner Readers!

If it weren’t for his Power of Myth series where he introduced Joseph Campbell to a broader audience, Bill Moyers would have contributed little to our national discourse.  He has otherwise dedicated his career almost exclusively to destroying Republicans.

It’s too bad that despite his deep affection for Campbell and his work, Moyers all but ignored that great mythologist’s politics.  Campbell was a Republican and, as I understand, a pretty conservative one at that.

A true investigative reporter who regularly denounces conservatives might want to explore more deeply how his hero’s lifetime study of mythology did not shake his conservative political convictions.

In his White House days, working for then-Democratic President Lyndon Johnson, Moyers was more curious about the sexuality of some of his coworkers:

Bill Moyers, a White House aide now best known as a liberal television commentator, is described in the records as seeking information on the sexual preferences of White House staff members. Moyers said by e-mail yesterday that his memory is unclear after so many years but that he may have been simply looking for details of allegations first brought to the president by Hoover.

And he wasn’t just looking to find out if his coworkers were gay:

Only a few weeks before the 1964 election, a powerful presidential assistant, Walter Jenkins, was arrested in a men’s room in Washington. Evidently, the president was concerned that Barry Goldwater would use that against him in the election. Another assistant, Bill Moyers, was tasked to direct Hoover to do an investigation of Goldwater’s staff to find similar evidence of homosexual activity. Mr. Moyers’ memo to the FBI was in one of the files.

Isn’t using the FBI to dig up dirt on political opponents kind of similar to what Nixon did in Watergate?  There’s even a memo in the FBI files.

Oh, and this story about Moyers’ snooping around for evidence of gay people in the Goldwater camp came out in July of 2005.  For three-and-one-half years, the leading gay organizations have been silent on the matter while this onetime practioner of outing prattles away on national TV.

I daresay they’d have reacted differently if Moyers were a former Nixon aide with a show on FoxNews.

Pete Wehner ponders the hypocrisy of this “insufferable” (to borrow Mark Hemingway’s term) man finds himself:

Moyers is among the most sanctimonious individuals on television (quite a feat, given the competition). He presents himself as a champion of good government, an intrepid voice for integrity and honesty, ever on the lookout for people who would degrade our public discourse or act in a dishonorable manner. That’s why this revelation — Moyers seeking information on the sexual preferences of White House staff members — is particularly notable. And I suspect his excuse, that his “memory is unclear after so many years,” probably wouldn’t persuade Moyers himself, if the person in question were, say, a conservative.

Noting this “for the record,” Ed Morrissey offers,  “When Moyers sounds off on alleged Republican bigotry, perhaps this will serve as a useful reminder that Moyers can hardly cast the first stone.“  Exactly.

Interesting how a story about a liberal pundit’s investigations into the sexuality of coworkers and political rivals primarily draws the attention of conservative bloggers. And gay bloggers seem more interested in the story than do the organizations ostensibly representing our peers.

The more we learn about Bill Moyers, the more we see how much his political affiliation defined his life. He would do anything to destroy a rival politician, even root around to see if that man had gay staffers, seeking to use those staffers’ sexuality against their Republican employer.

Let us hope this latest revelation reminds people of that broadcaster’s bias. At least Moyers had the sense not to hold one Republican’s politics against him. For it is largely thanks to Bill Moyers that people are familiar today with Joseph Campbell. And the power of myth.

1. Wow. The vitriol on this blog and from the posters is on the same level as I’ve seen in vids from Sarah Palin rallies. You folks need to regulate the hate.

Newsflash: if you think that being allied with people like Tom Coburn, Jim DeMint, Marilyn Musgrave and Michelle Bachmann are going to make them like you and provide you equal rights, you’re wrong.

Comment by TG — February 22, 2009 @ 10:41 am - February 22, 2009

2. In the same way that the left holds certain beliefs about conservatives and/or Republicans, regardless of the facts of the matter, i.e. Bush is Hitler, they can ignore the facts about a person like Moyers. In the former case, whatever they believe is true, is true, regardless. In the latter, facts notwithstanding, nothing said about Moyers can possibly be true. It is just ‘wingnut propoganda’.

By the way, now that President Bush is out of office, does Rush get to be Hitler again?

Comment by Broadsword — February 22, 2009 @ 10:44 am - February 22, 2009

3. #34 – LW, I’m not sure who would be getting the best of the bargain between Moyers and Nut Lover. 😉

Plus, I enjoyed your liberal translation above. You should work for the UN!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 22, 2009 @ 11:03 am - February 22, 2009

4. LW, thank you for your rebuttal. You stated more clearly than I could my reaction to Kevin.

Also, when did gay marriage become the litmus test for being pro gay!
    I know conservative gays who feel that marriage is for the purpose of creating families, and that families need a mother and father.
    I know libertine gays who love the freedom of defining their own relationships and want nothing to do with the shackles of marriage.

But to Kevin, both these examples are evil, because he sees gay marriage as paramount to everything else.

What about private don’t you understand??? Why do you have the right to be the thought police???
    Why is it every day I see more and more evidence that liberalism has simply become the new fascism? Freedom of having different ideas and opinions is no longer allowed.

Kevin, I’m unimpressed, your arguments are shallow. Why not simply come out and admit it, all you want is to punish people who disagree with you – you are using your liberalism as a cover for being a bully.

Comment by Leah — February 22, 2009 @ 11:37 am - February 22, 2009

5. You folks need to regulate the hate.

Spoken by the same leftists who are hanging Sarah Palin in effigy, screaming outside restaurants and businesses over $100 political donations, and fully supporting and endorsing the Obama Party and its position on gays.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 22, 2009 @ 12:26 pm - February 22, 2009

6. #50: Excellent recap, The Livewire. And also, great comment, Leah.

I also love the fact that Commissar Kevin’s list of conservatives who have supposedly gotten a “free ride” for their personal transgressions is yet more damning evidence that the Left DOES NOT respect the constitutional rights of its political adversaries.

Finally, I hope everyone had their Moonbat to English dictionary handy when Cmsr. Kevin used the term “free ride.” You’ll note that in Moonbat, “free ride” is defined as “cataclysmic media sh*tstorm engineered by leftist political operatives in cooperation with the MSM to accomplish ruinous personal and professional destruction against political adversaries that ultimately failed in achieving its insidious objective.”

Comment by Sean A — February 22, 2009 @ 12:26 pm - February 22, 2009

7. Again, the funny part is that Kevin and his Obama Party ilk have already stated that endorsing and supporting gay marriage bans and calling gays “degenerate”, among other things, is pro-gay and gay-supportive.

The reason he and his Obama Party faggot ilk need to scream that Republicans want to exterminate gays is because they’re covering up for their own support and endorsement of these things.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 22, 2009 @ 12:32 pm - February 22, 2009

8. Oh wow, yes, I guess my question has been answered. LOL

I guess I will out myself a bit here, so to speak, in the belief that I will be coming back frequently.

Out myself? No, I’m not gay. Rather I am one of those conservatives who opposes gay marriage. I don’t politic on it. I don’t raise money or give money for any cause. But I do voice my opinion of the matter.

However, I would rather not voice my opinion on the matter here (beyond what I have just done). Why? Because I don’t want to alienate myself from conservative gays with whom I can find great affinity. I guess it comes from my thought that we are so much more than our sexuality.

I’ve spent no small amount of time “debating” online with liberal gays, and I think it safe to say they don’t like me. That’s okay. What bothers me is the petulant rebukes I recieve to things I’ve not said, positions I don’t hold, etc.

Anyway, I offer that bit as a full disclosure that I come as a conservative friend despite the fact that I most likely disagree wholeheartedly on a particular point that most likely is a fundamental issue here. And I do so in the desire to develop gay friends with whom I can discuss matters dispassionately and cordially.

I will now duck down a bit to see if the shoes start flying! 😉

Comment by Max Schadenfreude — February 22, 2009 @ 4:43 pm - February 22, 2009

9. “You folks need to regulate the hate.”

This statement is a great conflation of what seems to be two basic memes of the left:

1) Disagreement with anything held to be good by the left is automatically seen as hatred. This goes hand in glove with the fact that hatred held by the left is always projected on to the right.

2) The innate compulsion to regulate everything. Forget about freedom, forget about privacy, heck, forget about bad weather. WE MUST REGULATE!

Comment by Max Schadenfreude — February 22, 2009 @ 4:50 pm - February 22, 2009

10. ‘you folks need to regulate the hate’

And who says liberals don’t like competition?

Would that hatred at the Sarah Palin rallies be the one guy hearing ‘kill him’ when no one else did?

Or maybe it was the Sarah Palin followers throwing Oreos at Michael Steele?

Oh, wait, that wasn’t Republicans, that was ‘regulated’ hate. Carry on.

Comment by The Livewire — February 22, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - February 22, 2009

11. Max,

I’ve made my feelings on gay marriage, and how to go forward several times. It’s a sticking point for Attmay (he really hates my ‘fred” idea) but other than that point we’re in agreement on more things than not. So don’t get overly uncomfortable. Pull up a beer and join the rest of us straight visitors. Just watch out for the libs and their spewing ‘self hatred’ everywhere. Sometimes you need hip boots to walk though.

Comment by The Livewire — February 22, 2009 @ 5:15 pm - February 22, 2009

12. Sorry for the OT, but I just dropped by from NRO, and I have to say that I love your site. I am 46, veteran, conservative republican, and for years I have contemplated relationship of conservative gays to the republican party. You clearly know more about this subject than I, but I am with you: if you are a patriotic American, there is nowhere else to go (I know, Sarah Palin said the same thing and got slammed. Message to critics: go f*** yourselves). Also as clear, if you are an evangelical values voter, there is nowhere else to go, either. So how do we make our tent big enough for both? I have no idea, I just know that it is the right thing to do, for both groups, and it somehow must be done. Some conservatives think that the evangelical right controls our party, and that notion just makes me sick. They are our allies, not our rulers, and they get 90% of what they want from us. The 10% they don’t get are people such as you. I will try to stop by your site more in the future. Good luck with your endeavor, and have a great day.

Comment by howard — February 22, 2009 @ 7:31 pm - February 22, 2009

13. 61: “It’s a sticking point for Attmay (he really hates my ‘fred” idea) but other than that point we’re in agreement on more things than not.”

When I ask my boyfriend to fred me, maybe I’ll invite you. 😀

Comment by Attmay — February 23, 2009 @ 1:31 am - February 23, 2009

14. As I’ve read this blog over the past few years, posters and respondents continually try to make some kind of case that it is conservatives who are in the fore-front for personal liberty and actually advancing gayrights. Nope, sorry…….big buzzer on that one.

Nobody ever said “gay rights”, but the rights of all persons. What have the liberals done to advance the rights of anybody, gay or straight?

or where democratic political platforms put in writing their opposition to homosexuals.

It’s not in liberal platforms because they don’t stow the gear necessary to be honest with their voters. They refuse to tell the truth and keep ignorant masses, like you, believing that they actually give a fuck about you.

45: Believe it or not, I have a great professional job that I enjoy, make good money and (at least for the time being) I won’t be laid off from in the near future. I consider myself quite lucky that I was born in this country, that I was able to get where I am with a mixture of my own skill and ambition along with the education I received and some good luck along the way.

Believe it or not, I think it’s about time you coughed up some of your cash. I need a new truck, better paying job and a new TV. A new computer would be nice too. It’s up to you to provide it. It’s cool if you want to send it Western Union. Just let me know and I’ll give you the details.

The obvious difference is that we’re posting our comments here and liberals aren’t doctoring them to include things that were never said and foisting them on the ill-informed masses.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 23, 2009 @ 6:41 am - February 23, 2009

15. Attmay,

If I can make it, I’d be happy to go.

Just don’t ask me to call it Marriage 😉

Comment by The Livewire — February 23, 2009 @ 7:19 am - February 23, 2009

16. john kerry – attacked as being a gigolo for marrying a wealthy woman
    john mccain – obtained a divorce to marry the wealthy woman he had been cheating with while he was married.

There was more than one rich woman Kerry married for money.

hillary clinton – carpetbagged her way to NY to become an elected official
    john mccain – carpetbagged his way to AZ to become an elected official

After serving in the USN, WHERE should he have been an elected official from? Not only that, but he was working for his father-in-law’s company before he got into politics. What was Hillary’s connection to NY?

drug users in general – lock em up and throw away the key
    rush limbaugh – forgiveness for his disease.

You do realize, as any 3rd grader does, that there’s a difference between recreational drug abuse and an addiction to a prescribed controlled substance, right? I’d hate to think that you’re THAT fucking stupid. Not to mention that, after two years, nothing could be found proving that he broke the law.

Further, the LIBERALS attempted to violate his privacy in the process. Now, thanks to Chairman Obama’s porkulus, the feds can take a look at everybody’s medical records. Where’s the ACLU on that one?

Sarah Palin – full support of abstinence only sex “education” and nothing else (along with McCain)
    Bristol Palin – unmarried, pregnant teen who just this week called these programs unrealistic

Yeah, spreading your legs really works well, don’t it?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 23, 2009 @ 7:51 am - February 23, 2009

17. […] Bill Moyers to Mike Rogers – liberals now have a documented history of shamelessly and […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Obama Admin Officials:Come Out, Come Out, Where Ever You Are! — February 23, 2009 @ 8:01 am - February 23, 2009

18. […] American Spectator has a first rate article tweaking the attempt to Blame Hoover for the actions of Bill Moyers during the LBJ era: The Washington Post’s scoop, and Moyers’s non-denial denial, […]

Pingback by The Indispensable man « DaTechguy’s Blog — February 23, 2009 @ 8:19 am - February 23, 2009

19. “Sarah Palin – full support of abstinence only sex “education” and nothing else”

That’s a complete lie.

Comment by Rob Crawford — February 23, 2009 @ 11:43 am - February 23, 2009

20. #65: Then you lose the invitation. Sorry.

Comment by Attmay — February 23, 2009 @ 11:52 pm - February 23, 2009

21. […] much did the folks at Pajamas like my piece, Bill Moyers: The Power of Outing, they asked me to write followup piece for their […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » What Really Drives Bill Moyers — February 24, 2009 @ 9:30 am - February 24, 2009

22. […] addressing the recent revelations about how Bill Moyers, when in the Johnson White House, requested the FBI investigate the private […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Moyers Fails to Apologize, Admit Wrongdoing — February 26, 2009 @ 3:00 am - February 26, 2009