GAYPATRIOT EXCLUSIVE:
Former Log Cabin Prez Reacts To Gill-LCR News

***GAYPATRIOT EXCLUSIVE***

Former Log Cabin Republicans President and founder of the National office, Rich Tafel, responded over the weekend to my request for a comment on last week’s news.  I asked Rich his thoughts on the Washington Blade article that suggested a close financial relationship between Log Cabin Republicans and left-wing gay activist Tim Gill.

Here is Rich’s response, unedited:

1. It’s not journalism when the whole story is built on anonymous quotes.
2. If you are on the board of an organization and you feel a need to say that stuff have the courage and integrity to say it publicly, don’t hide behind anonymity.
3. If you don’t like Tim Gill writing checks, write one or raise it.

As you can tell, I’m more disappointed at the cowardly behavior of the person who spoke to the Blade if they even did it.

GP Ed. Note: I believe it is fair to also apply Rich’s criticism to my original reporting last Friday which further detailed the financial connections between Gill and Log Cabin. I fully accept the criticism of my use of an anonymous sources, and understand the frustration with it.  I believe the information was too important to report and I was confident in my source based on a long association I have had with him.  But I take the criticism and I have to accept it for now.

That being said, I do not have the resources of the Washington Blade –  nor the time as blogging is a part-time “hobby”.  So I would share Rich’s frustration that a professional journalism organization bases its entire story on anonymous sourcing.  The New York Times, in fact, has been doing that a lot lately too.  I think professional news organizations should be held to a higher standard if they truly are “reporting”.   That may sound hypocritical, but so be it.  It is how I feel.

I will continue to follow the Tim Gill-Log Cabin connection and will report relevant updates that are important and backed up to my satisfaction.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Bruce,

I infer from the posted comments that he’s saying “We’ll take money from everyone. We’ll even take money from those who are diametrically opposed to most of our agenda as Republicans. But I’m sorry that someone comes out and says bad things about us. If you want to influcence the LCR, by all means write a check.”

Am I correct?

Comment by The Livewire — March 2, 2009 @ 2:11 pm - March 2, 2009

2. I don’t read it that way, but I don’t want to interpret Rich’s comments one way or another.

Comment by GayPatriot — March 2, 2009 @ 2:18 pm - March 2, 2009

3. Tafel seems to take for granted (without saying it) the essential point: LCR has been taking masses of money from the Gill foundation.

“If you don’t like Tim Gill writing checks, write one or raise it” is a little too cute. Who has the resources of a Tim Gill? Whose $50 or $100 or $200 or even $5000 donation can hold a candle to Gill’s hundreds of thousands, influencing LCR? And if it could: then what is Tafel saying, that LCR is for sale to the highest bidder? How about a gay conservative organization with, you know, *principles*? One that would say no to Tim Gill, when he wants to exploit it as cover for his political agenda?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 2, 2009 @ 2:32 pm - March 2, 2009

4. Ok, so I’m not alone in reading it that way.

Well, since the Marx Brothers have already been brought up… “These are my principles. If you don’t like them I have others.”

Comment by The Livewire — March 2, 2009 @ 3:05 pm - March 2, 2009

5. It’s certainly not a denial…just an obfuscution on Tafel’s part, which I find dissappointing and disingenuous. I-for-one am comfortable with GP’s level of disclosure in this matter. LCR-Natl’s total lack of accountability and transparency is damning.

There’s no public nor organizational financial disclosures to the general membership; no business meeting at the annual Natl. Convention at which to challenge the Natl. Board or LCR-Natl leadership; nor a method for the general membership or Convention attedees to nominate or confirm Natl Board membership. ….It’s a closed-shop.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 2, 2009 @ 3:08 pm - March 2, 2009

6. “If you don’t like me taking money from someone who hates what this organization is supposed to stand for and would cheerfully marginalize it for political purposes, send me a bigger bribe! Otherwise don’t compalin when I do things that look like I’m providing services paid for…”

Comment by DaveP. — March 2, 2009 @ 3:44 pm - March 2, 2009

7. I must admit I also read Tafel’s third point the same way The Livewire does.

And he doesn’t help matters when he says “Only when they go on the record could I respond, because I have no idea what was true.” If he doesn’t know the truth of the allegations when they’re made anonymously, how would he know the truth of them if made by a named source?

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — March 2, 2009 @ 5:16 pm - March 2, 2009

8. CLD – Agreed. Tafel’s answer sounds, to my ears, more defensive than effective. He put a lot into LCR. Perhaps he does not want to admit/see the extent to which Gill has co-opted it?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 2, 2009 @ 5:30 pm - March 2, 2009

9. well, Deep Throat was a good enough source to bring down a president who wasn’t truthful. The Log Cabin Board should be held accountable not for taking the money, but for allowing undue influence. That money came with strings. That’s not ok.

Comment by anon — March 2, 2009 @ 5:34 pm - March 2, 2009

10. don’t forget…Tafel endorsed Obama last year.

Comment by anon — March 2, 2009 @ 6:39 pm - March 2, 2009

11. Who and where can we throw tea-bags at the Natl LCR BOard? How do we hold the Board accountable?

Does anyone have a list of Natl LCR Board members with mailing addresses? …Or even just their e-mail addresses?

Is there going to be a General Membership Meeting or Business Meeting where the Natl Board can be confronted at the Annual Convention in DC this year? There wasn’t one at the last Convention…one of the reason I didn’t attend the ones in San Diego or New Orleans. But, even If I couldn’t afford to attend the whole convention this year, I’d seriously consider driving-down just for that one meeting.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 3, 2009 @ 10:40 am - March 3, 2009

12. LOL. Tea bags at the LCR board! Awesome idea.

Their National Meeting is coming up in DC: April 16-19.

Comment by GayPatriot — March 3, 2009 @ 11:28 am - March 3, 2009

13. Looks like the LCR Republicans have been caught consorting with liberal Democrat activists and were merely looking for a way to kill the messenger. I love the paranoid delusional and passive-aggressive behaviors of the liberal activists once exposed as the antisocial individuals that they are.

Comment by RJLigier — March 3, 2009 @ 3:09 pm - March 3, 2009

14. #9- I’m confused. In your first sentence, are you talking Nixon or Clinton?

Comment by DaveP. — March 3, 2009 @ 3:50 pm - March 3, 2009