Tea Party Movement: Phenomenon Based on an Idea

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 4:46 pm - April 9, 2009.
Filed under: Freedom,Obamania,Tea Party

Welcome Instapundit readers!! While you’re here you might want to check my followup to this post, building on the notion of the tea parties as a grassroots phenomenon.

This morning, when I read that “the growth of the Tea Party movement as a grassroots outside-the-establishment phenomenon that has become so big that establishment figures are trying to jump onboard,” it struck me how in, many ways, this phenomenon is the opposite of another such movement which began in earnest just about two years ago.

While Barack Obama’s presidential campaign did tap into a frustration with the-then incumbent Administration, that movement was built around an individual not an idea.  Note how much the image of Obama was tied to the “ideas” of his campaign, “hope” and “change.”  And those ideas were little more than bromides.

In constrast to the Obama campaign, the “tea party” phenomenon is based on an idea, that of small government and personal freedom.  As such, it could have greater staying power.

1. Charlotte had a very successful Tea Party last Saturday. And Lancaster SC is having one on Income tax day.
    I think it is great!!!

Comment by PatriotMom — April 9, 2009 @ 5:03 pm - April 9, 2009

2. Yes, I have had to explain to several politicos that we are not interested in their speaking as this is meant to be non-partisan. At least one has gotten a bit annoyed and organized his own “tea parties” in the state so he can be the center of attention.

Amusing and frustrating all at the same time.

Comment by Andrew Ian Dodge — April 9, 2009 @ 5:24 pm - April 9, 2009

3. One of the biggest supporters of the Tea Party movement is Glenn Beck, who also happens to be crushing CNN and MSNBC in the ratings. Is it just a coincidence that both Keith Olberdouche and CNN’s Rick Sanchez have been attacking Beck viciously of late?

I haven’t decided which local tea party to attend, but I’m leaning toward Reston VA’s.

Comment by V the K — April 9, 2009 @ 5:41 pm - April 9, 2009

4. I think part of the reason why the tea parties will be so successful is the fact that it is a positive outlet for those of us who feel that DC is not doing the people’s work as it is supposed to in the Constitution.

Above all, people are excited to support the concept of freedom and individualism – compare that to the rank-and-file-lower-casers, who always seem to be mad, upset, deranged or just plain hateful. Why are they so upset if they control 2 of the 3 branches of government?

Let’s face it – this tea party is just the beginning. 2010 = a conservative Hill.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 9, 2009 @ 5:55 pm - April 9, 2009

5. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/opinion/07tue4.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=tea%20parties&st=cse

Comment by bob (aka boob) — April 9, 2009 @ 6:42 pm - April 9, 2009

6. Can’t wait for our local tea party here in Pennsylvania on the 15th.
    Whether there are 300, 3000 or 30,000 at each location, there will be millions demonstrating against Obamateleprompter and his anti indivdualism administration. I’ve never attended a demonstration before. I’ve convinced some friends burning an effigy of Obama probably isn’t appropriate. Some are dressing as patriots. Some are dressing as pirates, as Obama has lost control of the seas now that Democrats are in charge of our security.We plan on handing out leaflets on how to lessen your tax payments to this onerous govenment. One sign that we’ve made a few times is
    WHO SPEAKS FOR THE PRODUCERS INSTEAD OF THE LOSERS!
    Another, OBAMA…NO BONUS FOR YOU!
    Another, DON’T BOW TO KINGS!
    It’s gonna be fun.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — April 9, 2009 @ 7:09 pm - April 9, 2009

7. Thank you Bob or Boob or whatever for advising me to read the NY Times article. It was the first that I read the Times since around 1953 when they published a big lie I wrote about it in my book. This article is a good reminder why they are going bankrupt.

Comment by John W — April 9, 2009 @ 7:21 pm - April 9, 2009

8. Re: the NYT article….I’ll bet the same snarky tone was expressed by the Tory press before our first American Revolution.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — April 9, 2009 @ 8:13 pm - April 9, 2009

9. Funny that the left is bashing the tea party movement now, after spending eight years telling us dissent was patriotic when Bush was president.

Comment by V the K — April 9, 2009 @ 8:55 pm - April 9, 2009

10. I think the “tea bag party” sounds like fun……..Maybe if I show up, I might meet some hot conservative guy……and afterwards maybe he can come back to my place and “tea bag” me?

And no, it’s always been the “Right” who keep on claiming that they’re patriotic……the last 8 years of disaster, all of the Right-wingers kept on telling anyone who didn’t side with Bush that they were un-American or supportive of terrorists……..Remember Bush’s line “You’re either with us, or against us”………I’m glad Cowboy Diplomacy was sent back to Texas…..(sorry Texans)….

Comment by Ray in LA — April 10, 2009 @ 12:02 am - April 10, 2009

11. it’s always been the “Right” who keep on claiming that they’re patriotic
    Well, we don’t like to brag, but we are the ones who love our country.
    Remember Bush’s line “You’re either with us, or against us”
    Yes. You don’t.
    “And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists.

From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime.”
    There’s no threat there against places that are merely loudly anti-American, like France or Canada or San Francisco. That section of that speech was not directed at you, Ray. Grow up, and learn what an ellipsis is.

Comment by bgates — April 10, 2009 @ 3:16 am - April 10, 2009

12. I am absolutely delighted that the Prog-Left are threatened, outraged and alarmed by the Tea Party movement. Since nothing they do is genuinely “grassroots” they have no idea how to respond, except for the tiresomely predictable attempts to demonize and diminish. “They” didn’t think of it, don’t control it, therefore, it “can’t” be important ! Hahaha!!

I’m excited about attending the Tea Party in Sacramento, CA. We’re taking the day off work and several carloads of us are caravanning. Only one of us has been to a demonstration before. I have no idea what to expect, but I’m tired of grousing at home to my family and neighbors, and want to express my disgust and outrage somehow.

Contrary to what the Prog-Lefts want to try and state, the people joining me in my vehicle are NOT Republicans– they’re bonafide independents and one is a card carrying Green Party member. I’m definitely an Independent as I wasn’t thrilled about the majority of the 2nd Term Bush agenda, including the expansion of government, spending and erosion of personal liberty.

I think the Left is worried because they’ve been going on for quite some time now how Obama has this “huge” “mandate”, when in fact, this is not true. Factoring in the ACORN voter fraud, this was a very close election, won with a lift from Independent voters fed up with Bush, and business as usual in Washington.

Obama has lost the majority of independent voters, including this household. I live in a county that voted 87% for Obama, and he is now openly derided and mocked. Today as the clerk at the grocery store was counting out my change, she said sarcastically, “Well, here you go, when Obama’s through with us, that’s ALL you’ll have….”Change” !!”

The lefties are nervous, and rightfully so.

Comment by Gulliver's Gal — April 10, 2009 @ 3:49 am - April 10, 2009

13. […] Tea Party Movement: Phenomenon Based on an Idea […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Tea Parties: Grassroots Phenomenon — April 10, 2009 @ 3:57 am - April 10, 2009

14. Oh, come now Ray. Make things general enough and you’ll never be wrong. But it’s just so tiresome to actual nail-down specifics about who said what and when. You’ve neatly forgotten, or ignored entirely, the mass exodus of libertarians and conservatives the GOP experienced during the Bush years. The Tea Parties are about making the GOP face their demons. “Wise up or you’ll get the boot, too,” we’re telling them. This is the people setting the agenda, not the GOP. You may have noticed loads of GOP higher-ups wanting to jump on board now that they’ve seen the sweeping popularity of these things… and several tea parties are responding with a thanks but no thanks.

I very much appreciate the fact that Chairman Steele is now finally starting to reach out to the true grassroots side of the free-market movement in America. Unfortunately, it appears that he has only just decided to reach out after realizing how big the movement has gotten and how much media is now involved. [… Attending rather than speaking] will also present a fantastic time for Chairman Steele to LISTEN to what we have to say and perhaps gather some thoughts on what the RNC needs to be doing moving forward.

And of course the Right says it’s patriotic. So does the left. Why on earth would any political group proclaim otherwise?

Comment by Kev — April 10, 2009 @ 4:00 am - April 10, 2009

15. Solid point, Gulliver’s Gal. I’m surprised the lefties’ heads don’t collectively explode upon viewing this website. It hardly fits into their narrative of the Right being a homophobic, racist, rich white guys’ club.

Comment by Kev — April 10, 2009 @ 4:08 am - April 10, 2009

16. I’m not whoring, but, I agree completely and I said much the same thing in three posts in a long defunct blog.

Myself and another had a “political blog” but we suffered burn out, however, on occasion when I feel the need to be serious I post there, as does he.

So if you don’t mind I will offer 3 links, those three links will be in the following comment.

Comment by Wickedpinto — April 10, 2009 @ 4:26 am - April 10, 2009

17. FIRST, let me Say that Barrack Obama is my President, I don’t LIKE him but he is, but as for Why he is my President is very iffy, even 12 weeks in.

Second, I DO NOT apologize for supporting Sarah, apologizing is a sign of weakness and everyone LOVES to capitalize on that, left and right, and even people you once counted on friend.

Sarah is AWESOME!!! not because she is destined to be the next pres but because she is the middle man who was once us.

I make this very clear in an old post I made about Sarah.

In my opinion she isn’t the future, but she’s a damn good starter class.

And Third:

This Nation, thanks to the infighting of conservatives, thanks to the fact that we ate enough retard pills to nominate John EFFING MCCAIN!!!?!?!??!?!

REALLY

I’m a . . .rather than being precise, let me put it this way. . .

I’m very nearly an Ann Althouse republican.

I’m republican Only cuz I can’t think of trusting democrats with washing my car.

and final link to myself, I warned people long before, and when it happened I told them what would happen.

we elected nothing in this nation. But the Dem’s don’t care, it’s all about balance of power, even if they don’t know who the hell it is in power.

It’s a shame.

Comment by Wickedpinto — April 10, 2009 @ 4:37 am - April 10, 2009

18. Kev@4:08 –
    Agreed. If you don’t fit into the narrative they have constructed for you, they lose it. The favorite weapon of choice is ad hominem attacks. Clearly they didn’t find it necessary to sign up for any logics classes in college, because I have had no luck engaging in a rational discussion based on facts and logic, not emotion.

Part of the reason I believe that the Left is so bent out of shape about the Tea Party Movement is that they feel they “own” Protest as a method of political expression. I hate to project, but I almost get the sense that they view this as infringement on “their” turf. I guess the fact that a broad cross section of people will be attending, without mass produced signs distributed by ANSWER et al really has them going. I almost feel compelled to create a monstersized papier mache puppet to take along so they won’t feel so threatened.

PS: I really enjoy your site. I need to bookmark it.
    Hope you’re going to post photos & blog the Santa Monica Tea Party!

Comment by Gulliver's Gal — April 10, 2009 @ 4:49 am - April 10, 2009

19. I have to say that the likes of Newt skipping in to the movement might easily ruin it.

Comment by egoist — April 10, 2009 @ 5:39 am - April 10, 2009

20. Our whole family is taking off work and attending the Fishkill, NY Tea Party. Capacity at Duchess Stadium is around 3K – it would be phenomenal if we can fill that up. There is not a politician in NY whom I would want to hear there. I read on another blog something that struck me just right: The Tea Party movement is for AMERICANS to speak and our politicians to LISTEN. We are gunning for every one of them and holding them accountable.

You bet the statists are scared spitless.

Comment by Peg C. — April 10, 2009 @ 5:50 am - April 10, 2009

21. I have to say that the likes of Newt skipping in to the movement might easily ruin it.
    Sorry… forgot to say great post – can’t wait to read your next one!

Comment by egoist — April 10, 2009 @ 6:40 am - April 10, 2009

22. Pure poetry. 🙂 Like the exceptionalism of our nation itself, our movement is built not upon sweet nothings whispered in suckers’ ears by a meretricious city slicker, but rather, upon the vision of a Shining City Upon a Hill,

Comment by Sissy Willis — April 10, 2009 @ 7:15 am - April 10, 2009

23. I was listening to Glenn Beck yesterday, and he has backed out of speaking at the Alamo Tea Party, in part because of the potential for the distraction it might cause and the additional burdens that would be imposed on the organizers. He did say, however, that he would attend just as any other citizen would.

I think that is right. Although this movement is not leaderless, it is lead locally by average citizens for which politics is not their bread and butter, but on which politics has been imposed to an insufferable degree.

I think it is also right to say to the leadership class is invited as just one of many that they are in this Republic and may participate from the throng but we don’t need them to speak, we need them to listen.

Comment by Dusty — April 10, 2009 @ 7:15 am - April 10, 2009

24. There is no need to insult bromides.

Comment by Broadsword — April 10, 2009 @ 7:30 am - April 10, 2009

25. “Some writers have so confounded society with government,
    as to leave little or no distinction between them;
    whereas they are not only different, but have different origins.
    Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness;
    the former promotes our POSITIVELY by uniting our affections,
    the latter NEGATIVELY by restraining our vices. The one
    encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions.
    The first a patron, the last a punisher.”
    – Thomas Paine, Common Sense.

How quickly we have forgotten this.

Taxation is a necessary evil, and government needs be kept small and not given to rewarding some over others, but to enforce the laws given to it equally for all concerned. We bailout failures with failed business plans to no good end. Anything ‘too big to fail’ is a threat to liberty, sustaining it via the necessary evil of government is pure evil to withdraw cash from the citizen and give it to those who cannot accept the economic judgment given to them by the marketplace. And when government steps in to warp that marketplace and place anything other than good accounting practices down, then such giants are given to rise and become ‘too big to fail’ and extort money from the people via government.

We once understood that as a Nation:
    “It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their selfish purposes. Distinctions in society will always exist under every just government. Equality of talents, of education, or of wealth can not be produced by human institutions. In the full enjoyment of the gifts of Heaven and the fruits of superior industry, economy, and virtue, every man is equally entitled to protection by law; but when the laws undertake to add to these natural and just advantages artificial distinctions, to grant titles, gratuities, and exclusive privileges, to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society-the farmers, mechanics, and laborers-who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their Government. There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing. In the act before me there seems to be a wide and unnecessary departure from these just principles.”
    – Bank Veto Message of 10 JUL 1832

We remake the institutions that then warped the system in a prior era, the corruption happens again, and we are surprised at the outcome of repeating an ill experiment with known outcome. But then we would need to teach history to learn these things, and we, as a society, obviously do not. Thus we find government stepping in to remove our liberty, and tell us what to do in our lives and take the earnings of our liberty from us for its own ends. As a necessary evil government can be kept to administer equally… only when we invest it with the positive acts of society does it then use the punisher’s whip to gain compliance and turn that good into evil. So that we become compliant with the masters in government.

But we are born free.

Comment by ajacksonian — April 10, 2009 @ 7:45 am - April 10, 2009

26. We continue to unite.

Comment by elvis — April 10, 2009 @ 8:04 am - April 10, 2009

27. Message to Obama: While you may bow to Arabian monarchs, “this flag dips to no earthly king.”

Comment by FGH — April 10, 2009 @ 8:51 am - April 10, 2009

28. Funny, Ray finds himself reduced to insulting and innuendo in his first paragraph, and then misremembering in the second. Kind of goes to that ‘left driven by emotion’ thing, neh?

Ray, you should go. Might be good for you to see how people positvely channel anger into something constructive, rather than lies and slander like your fellow travelers on the left so often do.

the Left being constuctive, now that’s a Change I can always Hope for.

Comment by The Livewire — April 10, 2009 @ 9:02 am - April 10, 2009

29. I agree whole heartedly. But ours in Pensacola is going down the tubes.

I will be on a different corner…by myself. With WHATEVER the H*LL sign I want.

Comment by tree hugging sister — April 10, 2009 @ 10:10 am - April 10, 2009

30. You forgot Obama’s most precious bromide: Yes We Can.

Yes we can what? Nobody really knows, they’re just fairly certain they can do it.

Comment by John — April 10, 2009 @ 1:22 pm - April 10, 2009

31. … and the movement also exists as a teaching device about small government and individual freedom and abuses of power. I love the fact that people are reading & quoting Hayek and Friedman again. If those ideas are once again in wide circulation people will be exposed to them even if they don’t agree, and massive education will take place. And that the economic ideas of fascism and socialism are being publicized.

My only fear is that if the Pubs don’t get their acts together people will still vote for Dems even if they hate their ideology. See Tedesco who said that Pub attack ads weakened his campaign.

sister, I don’t know distances in FLA but any other teaparties you can drive to?

Comment by Yehudit — April 10, 2009 @ 4:14 pm - April 10, 2009

32. Oh, I wish, Yehudit. But we are truly and island here, not to mention I’m scheduled to work at least into the first hour of the scheduled gathering.

This has been an education.

Comment by tree hugging sister — April 10, 2009 @ 10:19 pm - April 10, 2009

33. (“An” island. Apologies. What a day.)

Comment by tree hugging sister — April 10, 2009 @ 10:20 pm - April 10, 2009

34. IT IS A SHAME THAT OBAHAMA FEELS HE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING WITH ALL THESE BAILOUTS HE IS CREATING A DEBT THAT OUR GREAT GRANDS CHILDREN WILL STILL BE TRYING TO DIG OUT FROM UNDER .WE NEED TO DO A RECALL ON HIM ASAP,BEFORE IT IS TO LATE.IT WOULDNT HURT TO RECALL ON A FEW OTHERS TOO. I THINK AMERICA SCREWED UP BIG TIME,THIS TIME.WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THE CONSTITUTION,AND STOP CHANGING IT TO SATISFY A FEW BLEEDING HEARTS.THESE PARISITES ARE GOING TO BRING US DOWN TO THE BOTTOM WITH THEM. AMERICA HAS GOT TO GET BACK TO GOD AND STOP ALL THIS POWER TRIP CRAP.PUT GOD FIRST,HE SAID TO HAVE NO OTHER gods BEFORE HIM AND HE MEANS IT. A god CAN BE ANYTHING THAT YOU LIVE FOR POWER,MONEY,BOATS, T.V., CABLE, DIAMONDS,PEARLS, ECT. RECALL OBAMAHA ASAP

Comment by RITA CARROLL — April 11, 2009 @ 12:49 am - April 11, 2009

35. THE MAJOR ISSUE IS THE IMMEDIATE REMOVAL OF THE CROOKED, CRIMINAL CARTEL FEDERAL RESERVE THAT RULES OUR GOVERNMENT PUPPETS… THE CONGRESS AND OUR PRESIDENTIAL POSITIONS… OBAMA IS A WELL PAID PUTTET(HIS PHILOSOPHY IS EVIL, SELF SERVING AND DANGEROUS TO HUMANITY…EVERY REPUBLICAN AND EVERY DEMOCRAT IS UNDER THREAT OF DEATH…FROM THE FEDERAL RESERVE … (WHO DO YOU THINK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MURDER OF PRESIDENT KENNEDY, THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE LINBURGH BABY, THE 2 ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATIONS AGAINST PRESIDENT ANDREW JACKSON… AND WHO DO YOU THINK IS RESPONSIBLE NOW FOR TRYING TO KILL OUR CONSTITUTION AND AMERICA FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN AND THE POSITION OF ULTIMATE RULE AND POWER OVER THE WORLD??? IT IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE WITH THEIR EVIL AGENDA ESTABLISHED LONG BEFORE MANY OF OUR PRESIDENTS WERE EVEN CONSIDERED FOR OFFICE… NO POLITICAL PARTY WILL BE FREE FROM THEIR CONTROL UNTIL THEY ARE REMOVED … CONGRESS HAS THE AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY THEY JUST NEED COURAGE, TESTOSTERONE AND AN AMERICAN BACKBONE …LIKE THEY EXPECT OUR FINE MILITARY TO DISPLAY… GOD BLESS OUR REAL… FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN

Comment by madelyn — April 11, 2009 @ 8:22 am - April 11, 2009

36. A. Greed with Rita Carroll. 🙂 Hear! Hear!

Comment by A. Greed — April 11, 2009 @ 9:36 am - April 11, 2009

37. Tea Partiers “Clamoring for fiscal conservative leadership”…

“In contrast to the Obama campaign, the ‘tea party’ phenomenon is based on an idea, that of small government and personal freedom. As such, it could have greater staying power,” writes Gay Patriot [via Instapundit] in a perfect gem of……

Trackback by sisu — April 11, 2009 @ 10:23 am - April 11, 2009

38. Here in Ohio there isn’t much action for tax day protests just a lot of grumbling. I think it’s going to take a big hit in the pocketbook to spur ohioans to action and the first hit came today with the announcement if a $13.00 a month increase in AEPs base rate for electric. That tranlates into about a $15.00 a month and up increase per household.
    Central Ohio is about to get hit with a gargantuan increase for water. The increase is to redo the 75 year old system and the price will be nearing the billions. The democrats have been fooling with entitlements ,trying to increase the graduation rates, building new schools thinking that a new building will increase the learning potential of people that don’t want to learn. The government cooked up a deal to place 20,000 Somalis here in Columbus. The first settlers liked it so 20,000 more came. Then the goverment dropped in a batch of Bantus,learning to eat witth utensils and using the bathroom were now begining to strain the central Ohio areas budgets for entitlements that were unfunded after 90 days. As time goes on and the Obama mandate of “One World” begins to take hold I cant see any funds coming take care of these programs and local tax increases will be the answer . Columbus is now considering a local income tax increase of .5 to 1 percent . So here we are the citizens sharing to take care of others. I left Columbus 6 years ago for a small town 10 out of Columbus that does not have but 6 rental properties all other is owned. We have a 1Pct. tax rate because we don’t have to share our tax receipts through entitlements. We also belong to an electric co-op so power is relatively inexpensive. Now the Pesident wants Acorn to have a hand in the census that will cook the books in Obamas favor through redrawing the line to favor the Dems in the next election giving him a good shot at winning a second term( I hope not ) . This where the putting the 40,000 plus in one area come into play. Put them in the right dem area and bam 40,000 guarnteed votes if they register but i”m sure Acorn will make sure they are registered. So read,pay attention to all the things that don’t seem to matter and watch local politics and make sure you VOTE. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY AWAY ALONG WITH YOUR RIGHTS> Don’t let the one world crap go by you. It needs to be stopped before it gets a foothold.

Comment by Dave Gardner — April 11, 2009 @ 11:33 am - April 11, 2009

39. […] Gay Patriot compares the Tea Party movement to the Obama campaign phenomenon. […]

Pingback by April 11 Tea Parties And Other News « Justbkuz — April 11, 2009 @ 1:29 pm - April 11, 2009

40. Dave I understand where you’re coming from. We’re in Gahanna, so we get the effects of Columbus.

I drive down 161 and see panhandlers, Halal delis and slowly more signs in something other than English/Spanish whatever. The Wal Mart on Morse has become one to be avoided, just because of the clientel and the dirty looks.

I know that columbustownhall.com is trying to keep active and organized, and help people to assimilate to the wonders our free society has to offer.

Comment by The_Livewire — April 11, 2009 @ 4:57 pm - April 11, 2009