Out With Log Cabin, In With GOProud

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 10:58 am - April 10, 2009.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

I am thrilled to help announce the birth of a new national gay conservative organization, GOProud.  As long-time readers know I have been very critical of the national Log Cabin Republicans for many years.

Their left-of-center positions on important issues have bothered me as LCR has continually sucked the teet of the Gay Leftist agenda.  LCR’s silence and unwillingness to stand up and be vocal on true gay conservative issues (outing of Republican staffers, increasing threat of gays being selectively aborted, peril gays face by Islamic extremists) has been mind-boggling.   And LCR’s continued obsession in trashing Republicans, yet letting Democrats get a pass on their gay-related hypocrisies, has been infruriating.

Many of you, friends and critics alike, have told me if I wasn’t happy with LCR to do something about it.  I have tried shining light on the organization from GayPatriot.org.  But many of us felt more had to be done.

So I’m proud to announce my involvement as a board member of this new organization.  Many more details will follow and I will be sure to let you know how to get involved.   For now, please go to GOProud.org and sign up.

Ben Smith at the Politico has the scoop on our new gay conservative group:

A dissident faction of gay conservatives is launching a rival group to the traditional voice of gay Republicans, the Log Cabin Republicans.

GOPROUD, the new 527 group, will launch next week, according to a media advisory. The contact given for the group is Christopher Barron, a former Log Cabin political director who broke with the group.

“Essentially, there’s no voice for gay Republicans or gay conservatives in particular in D.C. right now.  Log Cabin has been completely and totally absent here in D.C. for months and months,” Barron said.    “It has simply moved way too far from the left and is basically indistinguishable from any other gay left organization.”

The ideological battle has been playing out in the gay media and on some blogs for a while, spurred in part by the Blade’s revelation that the Log Cabin Republicans’ biggest backer is a prominent Democrat, Tim Gill. Their complaint, in general, is that Log Cabin has grown indistinguishable from left-leaning gay rights groups.

The blog GayPatriot has been making the case for a split, and arguing that gay rights groups should make the case for same-sex marriage to a broader political spectrum.

[RELATED: Washington Blade picks up the story, too.]

Being gay doesn’t make you a liberal, being conservative doesn’t make you a bigot.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. What have you done to fight for the rights of Gays internationally?

Living my life as a decent and respectable human being.

That, and insisting that Saddam Hussein was a murderous, genocidal, and ecocidal megalomaniac whose record of defiance, of outright mass murder, of massive corruption, and of building banned weapons absolutely justified his removal, regardless of how “nice” he was to gays.

You don’t get that, Tom in Lazybrook, because your world revolves around your sexual orientation. You simply aren’t capable of thinking of anything else. You don’t care how many children starved to death under Saddam Hussein, or how many billions of dollars he misdirected to weapons-building, or how many hundreds of thousands of Shi’ites died in his jails, or how many millions of acres his vengeance against the Marsh Arabs virtually destroyed; all you care about is that he was nicer to gays than you think the Iraqi regime is currently, and as such, you opposed Saddam Hussein’s removal.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 10, 2009 @ 9:13 pm - April 10, 2009

2. Bruce,

Congrats and good luck with your group! As a hetero Conservative Republican Jew (but who is not defined by any of those points), I will support any group that does not stab any republican in the back. That is why the GOP thought less of the LCR’s.

I await the day when media matters attacks democrats as LCR did the GOP. I voted “No on 8” (a future Blog post) but, like you, I am annoyed at the people who want our support, yet seem to never return the favor.

Good luck and kick ass! And, please, please, PLEASE, replace Andreew Sullivan on Chris Matthew’s show. There is no diversity of opinion with him on.

Comment by JSF — April 10, 2009 @ 9:30 pm - April 10, 2009

3. #47: “Geez, Sean, maybe if you were gettin’ it regular, you wouldn’t have to imagine outdoor sex fairs”

Oh no. Busted by Enemabag. Yes, it’s true. My ultimate fantasy is a grotesque crowd of old, ugly, flabby, miserable, bitter, diseased, drug-addicted scumbags with empty, hopeless lives and nothing to look forward to in life but those few, precious weekends when they get to crawl out of their holes and force the rest of us to acknowledge their pitiful, meaningless existence. Mmmmmmm. Sexy.

Comment by Sean A — April 10, 2009 @ 9:38 pm - April 10, 2009

4. Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I can tell, they are not claiming that their mission is to advance conservative ideas among gays. They haven’t said they will target the gay community at all. (And even if that were their mission, there would be no reason to make it an explicitly GOP group, which would only limit their mostly Democrat-registered audience.)

So it appears that they are just a gay group that will sound off to whomever will listen about issues of general interest. OK, fine. But why should I care what Chris Barron has to say about private health insurance when there are other groups on both sides of that issue who are much better suited to inform and persuade?

This group will go nowhere because its mission makes no sense.

Comment by Bill — April 10, 2009 @ 9:48 pm - April 10, 2009

5. […] Good timing: GayPatriot annouces the upcoming launch of GOProud, a gay conservative organization.  Unlike the Log Cabin Republicans, you can expect this new 527 […]

Pingback by New Film Will Out Gay Republicans : Jenn Q. Public — April 10, 2009 @ 10:08 pm - April 10, 2009

6. I agree with you Bill, we need more information.

I am waiting for the mission statement.

Comment by Chuck In Del — April 10, 2009 @ 10:11 pm - April 10, 2009

7. This group will go nowhere because its mission makes no sense.

Oh. Well, that settles the matter. Thank you for telling us.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 10:26 pm - April 10, 2009

8. YES!!!!

Comment by sandy — April 10, 2009 @ 11:28 pm - April 10, 2009

9. Still no discussion about establishing a clear pro-life position which protects gay children with a supposed-or-real genetic marker from being aborted. Why can’t gays discuss this issue? Why don’t gays see themselves as the first victims of a pro-choice agenda?

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 11, 2009 @ 12:12 am - April 11, 2009

10. NDT,

Are you now against the war in Iraq because Bush’s Iraqi buddies now are killling Gay people for being Gay? Ever participated in any action against the Russian Orthodox Church, the Bush Administration, the Vatican, or the leaders of the Teabagging (oops I mean the Tea Party anti-tax and anti-Gay protests – led by the American Family Assn.) for carrying water for Iran and Syria at the UN because they simply wanted to say that executing or imprisoning Gay people simply because they are Gay is wrong?

Are you supporting the boycott of Jamaica over its’ hideous treatment of Gays and Lesbians? Or since that doesn’t have some third derivative link to some GOP talking point, is that off your radar?

Please spare me your phony support of the rights of Gays internationally if you didn’t condmen Chertoff/Bush for deliberately sending Gays back to unfree countries for Gays when they applied for asylum. And for supporting UN non-criticism for Iranian EXECUTIONS of Gays.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 11, 2009 @ 12:37 am - April 11, 2009

11. Ash, what discussion do you want? The genetic test you’re talking about is a theoretical, it’s not here yet, so gays aren’t ‘victims’ of it, sorry. Having said that: Bruce agreed with your view at #21. What would you like to see discussed further, at this time?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 11, 2009 @ 1:10 am - April 11, 2009

12. Of course NDT doesn’t worry about deforestation removing the cover of outdoor sex fairs.

This must be some sort of joke?
    1. There are no forests on Castro or Folsom
    2. Why would anyone worry about deforestation? They invented these crazy newfangled things for forests — theyre called “trees” — they grow back!

And what’s with all you homocons being obsessed with the sex that everyone else is having?

FAR from being obsessed about itI have absolutely no interest in sex everyone else is having — particularly liberals. I have found that, almost without exception, they do it very poorly.

The problem is, they wont STFU about it! They want to talk about it, and tell you how “proud” they are of it, and parade about it, and write plays about it…its like a child who just made his first poop — it may be utterly fascinating to the participant — but to everyone else its usually just gross.

Comment by American Elephant — April 11, 2009 @ 4:26 am - April 11, 2009

13. “particularly liberals.” You are a butthurt loyalist, as well as the rarest of pokemon descended from the ripest fruits (lol) of the stonewall tree.

Oh housef****ts, cognitive dissonance is thy name.

Comment by Chris — April 11, 2009 @ 5:40 am - April 11, 2009

14. Thanks Tom. I was having trouble sleeping, but your inane bloviations have really helped. Clearly you overcompensate for your misery by trying to convince everyone that you’re smarter than they are. Funny, boob disappears and then you show up. Hmmmm.

Anyways I can’t imagine someone being so smart and yet puts this pile forward:

An interesting note, why are you opposed to outings of conservative Gays that are opposed to Gay rights while living in the closet, but don’t appear to have a problem with a company firing someone because they are Gay.

Surely you can see the idiocy in that line. What’s more, I may have gone to public school in Mississippi, but even I know an interrogative statement ends with a question mark (?). Look into it. It should be just below and to the left of the ENTER button on your keyboard.

Further, I can tell you one damn thing GOProud WON’T be is a demand for everyone to be as equally miserable as you and your fellow liberals are.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 11, 2009 @ 6:38 am - April 11, 2009

15. Congrats…A true conservative voice within the gay community…welcome to the party!

Comment by Dan — April 11, 2009 @ 8:14 am - April 11, 2009

16. As a ‘free-thinking” gay man I have been less than pleased with hearing that ‘Palin is a blithering idiot’ for quite a while.

Comment by Lite Fuzz — April 11, 2009 @ 8:46 am - April 11, 2009

17. #21

Yes, I would definitely want to see their stand on …

A woman’s right to ABORT her fetus simply because it’s gay

… Before I even think of joining this group.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — April 11, 2009 @ 9:00 am - April 11, 2009

18. Oops–I missed that post! Sorry. I’m glad that you’re including a pro-life agenda. I also think, from a purely political point of view, that it will help you gain conservative support. I suspect that there are many conservatives, such as those protesting Obama’s appearance at Notre Dame, who would welcome the support, and who have probably never heard of pro-life gays. Think what would happen if being gay meant being pro-life the way Seventh Day Adventism means being vegetarian–they might actually want us to form covenants and adopt children.

Why don’t you make one of your first public statements something in support of those who protest Obama’s appearance at Notre Dame?

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 11, 2009 @ 9:35 am - April 11, 2009

19. Well, won’t this be interesting?

Comment by VegasTeaRoom — April 11, 2009 @ 12:47 pm - April 11, 2009

20. #59: “This must be some sort of joke?”

Yes, AE. I was joking, to illustrate that I understand the motivation behind the majority of gays joining the Democratic Party (because they believe the Dems are with them on same-sex marriage, ENDA, DADT, etc.), but that I don’t understand why 99% of them fall so dutifully into line on every other item on the liberal agenda as well, even where there is no specific “gay” aspect to the issue (e.g. why are gay Democrats also uniformly–and vehemently–anti-war, pro-abortion, pro-high taxes, pro-big government, pro-universal healthcare, and global warming whackos?)

Comment by Sean A — April 11, 2009 @ 12:48 pm - April 11, 2009

21. Hi there! I run my own Conservative blog for gay men and women and have suppported the Log Cabin Republicans for quite awhile. I also link to them on my blog. I have been troubled, as a Conservative, by the joy with which they seem to embrace judicial activism. I do think there is much that comes out of the organization that is good–but, you are correct; there’s not much that’s “conservative” that comes out of the group. I will likely continue to promote them as well as this new group that seems to be taking root. The gay marriage has always been a difficult issue for me since I so easily see both sides of the issue. I recognize the traditional reasons for marriage as a stablilizing force in society but also would like gay men and women to be able to enjoy the same benefits as straight married couples. Fascinating!

Comment by Christopher Budden — April 11, 2009 @ 1:30 pm - April 11, 2009

22. I wonder what Jesus will think of all this when he wakes up tomorrow?

Comment by Tom — April 11, 2009 @ 5:13 pm - April 11, 2009

23. I wonder what Jesus will think of all this when he wakes up tomorrow?

I’m guessing He will think it’s worth a shot and wish the organizers and members good luck.

Comment by Pat — April 11, 2009 @ 11:07 pm - April 11, 2009

24. […] verwundert nicht, dass diesem Blogger die Log Cabins nicht rückständig genug waren. Deshalb verkündet er mit stolzgeschwellter Brust, an der Gründung einer Konkurrenfirma beteiligt zu […]

Pingback by Der Zickenalarm bei den schwulen Konservativen « Steven Milverton — April 12, 2009 @ 6:05 am - April 12, 2009

25. Let’s hope the the newly organized Beltway insiders are out for the good of the party and all of the people it serves.

I was very pleased to have worked with Log Cabin’s Patrick Sammon since I personally found that during his leadership his door was always open whenever the need arose.

Our Florida LCR clubs, thanks to Jeb Bush and our county REC leaders, are also State Chartered Republican Clubs . Like Chairman Steel advises we are working diligently to enrich and activate the grass roots for the future of Party of Lincoln and ethical leadership in the running of this great nation.

A-Jay Eddy

Comment by A-Jay Eddy — April 12, 2009 @ 7:11 am - April 12, 2009

26. Now if only their website was up to submit a resume.

Comment by Mike — April 12, 2009 @ 9:41 pm - April 12, 2009

27. So basically the founding of this organization is to promote conservative causes. That’s great. What I am trying to figure out is what the founding of this group has to do with being gay. It seems to me the things you believe in are just plain old fashioned conservative ideological positions. There are plenty of organizations to do that. Why not just join them?

Comment by Dave — April 13, 2009 @ 1:43 pm - April 13, 2009

28. #73 – A-Jay: I guess you don’t read GayPatriot much. I live in Charlotte, NC and specifically left DC to get away from the “beltway”.

Comment by GayPatriot — April 13, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - April 13, 2009

29. Its time for someone representing conservative gays in this nation to speak up. I do not see this new group as a threat to Log Cabin Republicans at all. LCR missed the boat on addressing the big issues that appeal to larger audiences which is why I never joined. Besides, I am a republican first and welcome any new voices in our tent. And if I do have issues with an elected GOP official, I communicate with them privately, not in public. I am a republican first and still believe that our party can and will change, but if democrats who think of themselves as conservative speak up and join this new group, great. We need new voices and we need to talk about the issues that America cares about and “Marriage” has its limitations.

Comment by James Matindale — April 13, 2009 @ 5:51 pm - April 13, 2009

30. Signed up! Here’s hoping that the new organization will (1) actually be ACTIVE and (2) be welcoming to those of us in the libertarian-Goldwateresque tradition….

Comment by Thom — April 13, 2009 @ 6:24 pm - April 13, 2009

31. If Republicans wanted my vote in the past 30 years, they should have asked for it, or at least not insulted those whom I love (and me) by questioning my very right to exist.

The Republican party is like an elephant carcass that’s stinking up they entire country.

Effff the GOP forever.

(And, a Spanish court is looking in to indictments against six members of the Bush adminstration for TORTURE… which kind of puts some icing on that rancid Bush cake.)

Comment by Anne Reginald — April 13, 2009 @ 10:39 pm - April 13, 2009

32. I respectfully beg to differ with Anne R. I am a conservative stright married republican woman who has many friends and co-workers in the Gay Community and nothing but respect for same. I happen to welcome anyone that shares my fiscal conservatist nature, respect for family (family as defined by the loving bonds between couples and children no matter who the couples may be) and love of freedom that makes this country great. It is time to have an open dialog instead of hurling insults as hurling insults only intensifies bad feelings and magnifies differences but I hope a dialog can bring us together by promoting understanding

Comment by D.C.A — April 14, 2009 @ 11:12 am - April 14, 2009

33. I hope they put more “pride” into their cause then they did with their “WEBSITE” Yikes. Makes me nervous that this group wants my support, yet seems to know nothing about how to promote itself or show a sense of pride in itself. Seems like it was thrown together the last minute in an attempt to seem creditable. Hard to take them serious and not just a flash in the pan organization.

Comment by GOProud? — April 15, 2009 @ 12:56 pm - April 15, 2009

34. I registered…but then it stayed on the “register” page and I couldn’t see anything of the site. Looking forward to seeing more about GOProud.

Comment by Calvin — April 15, 2009 @ 7:04 pm - April 15, 2009

35. Its amazing, if you take on step outside the liberal DC groupthink, you’re tagged a moron, or worse. The liberal gay agenda is like feminism, you must walk in lockstop to such a strict ideology, and what’s truly sad is that this comes from the party of “tolerance.” Yeah, tolerance as long as you agree with everything I say.

Comment by mmv — April 15, 2009 @ 9:15 pm - April 15, 2009

36. Chill out, Anne, get some therapy for that chip on your shoulder. This isn’t DailyKos and I’m sure you’re late for your teachers union meeting.

Comment by dude in va — April 15, 2009 @ 9:30 pm - April 15, 2009

37. […] self proclaimed tech wizard, Megan McCain, missed that the real Gay conservatives have formed there own real conservative group. They even talk about Reagan without laughing or making fun of him to impress liberal donors […]

Pingback by The Rude News » Blog Archive » LGF, & The Snuggies Of Conservatism — April 19, 2009 @ 12:47 am - April 19, 2009

38. Sad how you and your group were treated at CPAC. I dont get it! Are you masochists or something?! Why go somewhere where you are hated, demonized and ostracized? Why not come over to the Dem or Lib side where you are welcomed and valued? And look at Obama truthfully! He is NO Liberal. If you check his policies-they are very Moderate to Conservative-he is no radical leftist. Stop banging your head against the wall and making fools of yourselves by always playing doormat in your own party. Come on in out of the cold! Our tent is vast…

Comment by Democractic Danny — February 20, 2010 @ 1:54 am - February 20, 2010

39. While I can agree on your frustration re: LCR, I still think you are misguided in supporting the very community you seem to be so far from. Why do you have to follow in the same rhetoric that your fellow conservatives do by bashing anyone Democrat? This is what’s wrong with this country and YOUR party, you are so hypocritical.
    While I really commend your treatment of Ryan Sorba, I have to wonder where was your outrage at what Rick Santorum had to say about DADT and Gays. Why do you stand for this from your very own party. At least we don’t stand for that in the “liberal” party.
    My God, this is the one thing that we should be able to unite on, but again you are part of the Obstructionist Party. You fail to see the very hypocrisy within your party that you project on others.
    Wake up! For you to denounce Meghan McCain when she is a staunch Republican and an extreme Gay Rights Supporter is simply HYPOCRITICAL. My God, you can’t even unite people in your own party to your cause.
    Again, you would have so much more credibility if you could work out a way for us to cross those party lines in our one common cause – Being GAY! Don’t alienate just to alienate.
    Please, I’m sure you have some good ideas and core values regarding gay community issues. At least we could try to come together on that common ground. But, don’t continue to slam a Democrat just to slam a Democrat, especially when they are supportive of Equal Rights. WAKE UP! The H8 can only stop with each of you.
    Again I ask, where was your outrage at what Rick Santorum spoke out against our community at CPAC. Shame on you…Quit being the Party of NO, The Obstructionist Party. We could accomplish so much more, if we could unite our cause together – just think about that..we could accomplish a lot, but only if you’re willing to meet half way.

GP Ed. Note – First, I denounced Meghan McCain because she blabbered about yesterday’s events without knowing what the hell she was talking about. She was not here and didn’t even get the name correct of the group she “stood with” (GOProud).

Second, how have the Democrats been treating you since Stonewall? 1969-1994 was unchallenged liberal Democrat control of Congress. Where were your friends then?

Where are they now when they’ve had control of Congress for four years and the White House & Congress for over one.

Don’t be so childish and naive.

Comment by Sean — February 20, 2010 @ 11:37 am - February 20, 2010