Out With Log Cabin, In With GOProud

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 10:58 am - April 10, 2009.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

I am thrilled to help announce the birth of a new national gay conservative organization, GOProud.  As long-time readers know I have been very critical of the national Log Cabin Republicans for many years.

Their left-of-center positions on important issues have bothered me as LCR has continually sucked the teet of the Gay Leftist agenda.  LCR’s silence and unwillingness to stand up and be vocal on true gay conservative issues (outing of Republican staffers, increasing threat of gays being selectively aborted, peril gays face by Islamic extremists) has been mind-boggling.   And LCR’s continued obsession in trashing Republicans, yet letting Democrats get a pass on their gay-related hypocrisies, has been infruriating.

Many of you, friends and critics alike, have told me if I wasn’t happy with LCR to do something about it.  I have tried shining light on the organization from GayPatriot.org.  But many of us felt more had to be done.

So I’m proud to announce my involvement as a board member of this new organization.  Many more details will follow and I will be sure to let you know how to get involved.   For now, please go to GOProud.org and sign up.

Ben Smith at the Politico has the scoop on our new gay conservative group:

A dissident faction of gay conservatives is launching a rival group to the traditional voice of gay Republicans, the Log Cabin Republicans.

GOPROUD, the new 527 group, will launch next week, according to a media advisory. The contact given for the group is Christopher Barron, a former Log Cabin political director who broke with the group.

“Essentially, there’s no voice for gay Republicans or gay conservatives in particular in D.C. right now.  Log Cabin has been completely and totally absent here in D.C. for months and months,” Barron said.    “It has simply moved way too far from the left and is basically indistinguishable from any other gay left organization.”

The ideological battle has been playing out in the gay media and on some blogs for a while, spurred in part by the Blade’s revelation that the Log Cabin Republicans’ biggest backer is a prominent Democrat, Tim Gill. Their complaint, in general, is that Log Cabin has grown indistinguishable from left-leaning gay rights groups.

The blog GayPatriot has been making the case for a split, and arguing that gay rights groups should make the case for same-sex marriage to a broader political spectrum.

[RELATED: Washington Blade picks up the story, too.]

Being gay doesn’t make you a liberal, being conservative doesn’t make you a bigot.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Signed up.

Comment by Robert — April 10, 2009 @ 11:14 am - April 10, 2009

2. from the Ben Smith article:
    [Chris Barron, GOProud media contact]‘s group would, he said, focus on traditional Republican issues, like private health care and private savings accounts.

That doesn’t sound like they’re going to be vocal about the outing of Republican staffers, increasing threat of gays being selectively aborted or the peril gays face by Islamic extremists.

The platform of gay conservative issues you outlined is rather curious, and I’m not entirely sure what you meant by ‘the outing of republican staffers’. Do you mean protecting people who have been ‘outed’ for political reasons? If thats the case, how would you go about protecting them?

Comment by Scottland — April 10, 2009 @ 11:50 am - April 10, 2009

3. Congratulations, Bruce! This is great news.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 11:55 am - April 10, 2009

4. Wow, I can’t believe Ben Smith at Politico got this bit right:

Who helped him? Kudos to his research assistant. It looks like he or she has been paying attention.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 11:57 am - April 10, 2009

5. Yeah!! Huzzah!!
    If nothing-else this should put some flame to the feet of the LCR-Natl operatives who ACTUALLY CARE about gay and Republicans issues…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — April 10, 2009 @ 12:02 pm - April 10, 2009

6. About freaking time! This makes me GOProud!

Comment by Dark Eden — April 10, 2009 @ 12:04 pm - April 10, 2009

7. The true gay issues are labor rights and social nets for the elderly, children, and the disabled. Great to see a split among the misled of our people who support the power and wealth grabbers. In hopes of a country that hears the voice of need before the voice of greed. A proud gay socialist.

Comment by Michael Olden — April 10, 2009 @ 12:28 pm - April 10, 2009

8. I hope this group will make a clear pro-life stand since the search for supposed genetic markers puts gay children in the same danger of being aborted as Down’s Syndrome or other “undesirable” children.

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 10, 2009 @ 12:42 pm - April 10, 2009

9. This is good news for all gay persons, left, right, Dem, or Rep. I hope GOProud does well.

Comment by Pat — April 10, 2009 @ 12:48 pm - April 10, 2009

10. As a moderate gay Republican I have been less than pleased with LCR for quite a while.

I was amazed (almost falling on the floor) to read the Blade article that LCR has been backed by a Demokrank.

Even though in this election I voted for Obama, McCain’s time has come and gone, and Palin is a blithering idiot, perhaps now we will have a new voice within the GOP which can at the very least make peace with the ultra-conservatives who while still not supporting gay issues, may at least hold back on some of their dogma that there can be no such a thing as a gay Republican ( the same thing that the ultra-left gay agenda bloggers say).

And we, or at least I, will be able to support most Republican planks and also be true to the Gay cause.

I look forward to joining this group once it gets going and lend my support through my publishing endevors.

Lyndon Evans
    Publisher
    Artlyn Entertainment

Comment by Lyndon Evans — April 10, 2009 @ 12:53 pm - April 10, 2009

11. A Log Cabin ally points out the group broke with other gay groups by endorsing John McCain last year, and denies it’s weak in D.C., noting it has a big national convention next week featuring, among others, Meghan McCain and Steve Schmidt.

I just had to laugh, Meghan McCain, the attention seeking not very bright daughter of John McCain?? That is who LCR has as their big draw at a national convention???
    Where are the serious politicians???

Comment by Leah — April 10, 2009 @ 1:24 pm - April 10, 2009

12. Bruce, could you forward on the following: The GOProud web site lets you donate after you register… but if you register, and then go away, and then want to come back and donate, there is no visible way to get to the donation page without re-registering.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 1:28 pm - April 10, 2009

13. Hopefully more people will stand up to this ridiculous practice of the left of saying “Do as we say, or we’ll tell them you’re gay!” I mean, the hypocrisy in that is big enough to drive a truck through, yet I see so few people, on the left or right, pointing this out. Its not 1992, and if individual liberty means anything (like the right not to be outed by left wing loons like michelangelo singoreli) we’ll get away from this bizarre, reverse-mccarthyism of the left.

Comment by mmw — April 10, 2009 @ 1:29 pm - April 10, 2009

14. I will miss Log Cabin. I know exactly when it started its slow painful death. Right after he became ED Patrick G spoke to HRC. When he got back to the office I asked how it went and his reply was “Great! I got a standing ovation!”
    Shortly thereafter to speak ill of any GAY (Esp HRC) organization was cause for immediate termination. They had him (and us) exactly where they wanted us. This is the end result. Good luck to the new team! The LCR National Board should have hired Chris Barron but good judgement from the board has not been seen in quite some time.

Comment by Mark Mead — April 10, 2009 @ 1:39 pm - April 10, 2009

15. Signed up, Bruce. I’m mainly a luker here, but I blog a good deal on my myspace and facebook pages about stuff. One of my big issues with LCR is their affiliation with HRC. Thank you for doing this.

-D

Comment by Dustin — April 10, 2009 @ 1:40 pm - April 10, 2009

16. Right on! You have my support.

Best wishes,
    -MFS

Comment by MFS — April 10, 2009 @ 2:01 pm - April 10, 2009

17. GOProud shows courage with this development. I have always found it to be rather hypocritical that leftist groups genuflect at the altar of multiculturalism which includes dead silence on the issue of Sharia Law. Where is the outrage in MN where Muslim cab drivers refuse to pick up riders whom they perceive to be gay? The hangings of gays in Iran? The fate of gays in Saudi Arabia? Again, courage and bravo GOProud.

Comment by Bridget — April 10, 2009 @ 2:35 pm - April 10, 2009

18. Let me see if I understand this. They are forming a gay Republican group in order to focus on private health care plans and health care savings accounts? Why do I need to join a gay group to weigh in on these issues?

Also, I had the displeasure of seeing Barron give a talk once. He was an ineffective communicator. Very pedantic. He also was the author of LCR’s press releases for some years, and they were consistently lacking.

Not that this is any comfort to LCR, but I predict epic fail for this new group.

Comment by Bill — April 10, 2009 @ 2:40 pm - April 10, 2009

19. I’m not sure I’m gay enough and I know I’m not Republican enough, but I’d still like to sign up because I believe storngly in minority groups’ putting their votes in play. When they align too closely with one party, neither party has an incentive to care about them.

Comment by tim maguire — April 10, 2009 @ 2:43 pm - April 10, 2009

20. I’d like to see SOME of the website BEFORE I register.

Just my New England/Irish/Conservative skepticism.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — April 10, 2009 @ 2:56 pm - April 10, 2009

21. Hell. Yes.

Congrats and THANK YOU.

Comment by 23eagle — April 10, 2009 @ 3:15 pm - April 10, 2009

22. # 8 – Ashpenaz, rest assured that I will make the genetic-selected abortion of gays and lesbians a top priority for this group. It is the silent genocide that threatens all gays & lesbians — and the Human Rights Campaign is supporting that genocide by its supporting the ideology of abortion-on-demand.

# 11 – ILC, got it covered. Thanks for noting that!

Comment by GayPatriot — April 10, 2009 @ 3:57 pm - April 10, 2009

23. Ok..Now you’re no longer running a forum. Just a few questions for GOProud.

1) Position on DADT repeal
    2) Position on ENDA
    3) Position on PPIA
    4) Position on Matt Shepard Act
    5) Position on Federal Funding for groups that use taxdollars to discriminate against Gays

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 4:10 pm - April 10, 2009

24. [...] Cabin's more conservative roots, which means less support for hate crimes legislation. Notes GayPatriot.net, which advocated splitting from LCR: "Their left-of-center positions on important issues have [...]

Pingback by Introducing GOProud: Gay Conservatives Split from Log Cabin / Queerty — April 10, 2009 @ 4:32 pm - April 10, 2009

25. Just curious, is it pronounced “go – proud” or “gee – oh – proud”? (The first is more euphonous, IMO. But both are fine puns.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 4:33 pm - April 10, 2009

26. I am a moderate Republican and am glad to see this group starting. I believe that there needs to be a more aggressive attack on those how out staffers. I person lay believe that there should be lawsuits issued for deformation of character. LCR has not fought for gay Republican staffers hopefully this group will.

Comment by Matt Reyes — April 10, 2009 @ 4:38 pm - April 10, 2009

27. Basically, the difference between GOProud and Log Cabin is that Log Cabin is a gay rights group whose goal is to advocate for gay rights to the republican party, while GOProud is a Republican group whose goal is to advocate for right-wing political positions to the gay community.

There is a HUGE difference between these two things. Basically, it’s a group of gay republicans who don’t want gay republicans to actually lobby for any actual gay causes, because they know that that won’t make them popular with other republicans.

When gay republicans (like Log Cabin) actually advocate for gay rights, they call them “left-wing”. I find it very telling that they consider advocating for equal rights for GLBT people to be a “left-wing” issue.

And since their main goal is to support republican politicans, and since so few of those politicians actually support any kind of gay rights, they certainly don’t want to focus on any gay issues. After all, that would mean that they can’t support their favorite GOP politicians. In fact, they’ll be very publicly supporting GOP politicians who oppose gay rights, and even those who specifically target gay rights in their campaigns.

No one should be fooled into believing that this is in any way an organization that cares about achieving equal rights for GLBT people. This is an organization whose goal is to push right-ewing causes onto the gay community. It will be very important for the media to understand this distinction when dealing with this organization. In no way should they ever be used as the token advocates for gay rights in stories, since the group is NOT a gay-rights organization.

Comment by David — April 10, 2009 @ 4:46 pm - April 10, 2009

28. Where are you going to hold your first meeting, an airport men’s room?

Seriously, I’m overjoyed that this has happened. Homocons will now become even less significant than they were before. A minority, within a minority of a minority splitting off and forming their own klatch. Good luck with that, Bruce.

Comment by Mr. Enemabag Jones — April 10, 2009 @ 5:10 pm - April 10, 2009

29. I don’t get it. Why do you need a gay group to focus on non-gay issues? Why can’t this by done through existing groups?

In any case, good luck and I hope you have an impact. Because, right now, the GOP is anti-gay. If you can change this – great. If not, you will have the same issues as Log Cabin.

Comment by Wayne Besen — April 10, 2009 @ 5:16 pm - April 10, 2009

30. Signed up and made a donation – I’m thrilled with the new group. I’m sure I’ll have disagreements on issues from time to time as I did with LCR – but that’s fine since I don’r always agree with me :>)

Comment by Ed — April 10, 2009 @ 5:23 pm - April 10, 2009

31. Wayne, I’m afraid that this group will be working to ensure that Baptists can continue to fire people simply because they are Gay, and will be used by the American Family Assn and FOX News as straw men to show that “Gays really don’t want equal pay for equal work, and don’t mind that they are seen as sissyboys unfit to be in the military, and shouldn’t mind when HIV/AIDS prevention money goes all to anti-Gay fundy groups that exclude common sense HIV/AIDS education, and don’t mind the fact that a brick through a window in a Baptist or Mormon Church has more value in Federal Court than a Gay life”.

Bruce, if youre post above regarding your happiness and willingness to fight against ENDA, while you know that there is NOT ONE SINGLE REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN, SENATOR, OR GOVERNOR that is willing to remove relgious protections in employment, then my fears about your motivations as expressed in the first paragraph appears to be justified. Hope the AFA, Dobson, and the Mormons pay you lots of money for selling out people who live in areas where we NEED Federal protections.

How many days before Peter LaBarbera and Micheal Savage start using your group as a straw man for opposing Gay rights?

Bruce, are you sure you want to go this route? Its your right of free speech, but if your going down the North Dallas Thirty or V the K route of supporting “youre fired faggot..” when you know damn well that it happens., well then others will use their free speech too.

I can see the press articles now.. Join GOProud! Work to ensure that Gay people can get fired from their jobs just because they are Gay! We gays are just a bunch of sissyboys not fit for the military. Go ahead! Kick us out of the military 2 years before retirement because of off base behavior in our free time! Equal pay for equal work? Why do we deserve equal pay for equal work? If your new boss is a Mormon, let him fire you. That appears to be your motivation.

Bruce, exactly what GAY issues will you be working on, and be willing to be intellectually honest (e.g., call out Republcans on it) with this new organization?

Or are you just going to be hanging out Don Wildmon and the AFA at your Tea Parties?

Sorry Bruce, but your reasoning for your opposition to ENDA is completely unpractical. When I can fire someone for being a Mormon, then maybe I might be able to follow your reasoning. But I don’t know of one single Republican elected official ANYWHERE that supports removing religious protections.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 5:44 pm - April 10, 2009

32. And for the record, shouldn’t people be able to do what every they want outside of work and not be fired, even if people at work know about it? Especially since many Republicans want to demand that employers be required to allow employees (against the employers wishes) carry their guns onto their employers property.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 5:48 pm - April 10, 2009

33. Tom said: I hope you aren’t planning on creating this organization to simply bash Barney Frank on FOX News while not speaking up against GOP bigots.

No, but there isn’t enough MSM attention to the Democrats who are anti-gay, the hypocrisy of that party toward gay issues, so I’m happy to fill that void.

The MSM constantly looks for GOP boogeymen, so what fun is that?

As for your specific list of issues, I can only speak for myself on them for now since GOProud has just begun. You are welcome to troll through the GayPatriot archives for my personal views on all of those subjects.

Let me ask Wayne & Tom: What are your views on the real possibility of genetic selections resulting in abortions of gay and lesbians?

Comment by GayPatriot — April 10, 2009 @ 6:06 pm - April 10, 2009

34. By the way, Tom. You seem quite overly hysterical and upset by this new group.

Very weird.

Comment by GayPatriot — April 10, 2009 @ 6:07 pm - April 10, 2009

35. I don’t get it. Why do you need a gay group to focus on non-gay issues?

Of course. The *only* conceivable purpose of a gay conservative group is to spread ‘gay values’ to conservatives; never to spread ‘conservative values’ among gays. And the *only* issues that can or should be conceived as “gay issues” are the group-rights type of issues defined by the Gay Left; never issues that also happen to be of interest to the larger American populace, like the preservation of human liberty.

/sarc

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 6:15 pm - April 10, 2009

36. A Log Cabin ally points out the group broke with other gay groups by endorsing John McCain last year, and denies it’s weak in D.C., noting it has a big national convention next week featuring, among others, Meghan McCain

Another excellent reason to leave Log Cabin.

Comment by American Elephant — April 10, 2009 @ 6:28 pm - April 10, 2009

37. I hope you aren’t planning on creating this organization to simply bash Barney Frank

Why ever not? Sounds like an excellent reason to form a group!

Comment by American Elephant — April 10, 2009 @ 6:35 pm - April 10, 2009

38. Good luck on your new endeavor.
    Now that you successfully vented your issues with LCR. I anxiously await a posting stating what GOProud is FOR. I trust a mission statement is in the works.

Comment by Chuck In Del — April 10, 2009 @ 6:51 pm - April 10, 2009

39. The gay community has been hijacked by the leftists and leftist issues for years. I am thrilled that conservative gay voices for liberty and the Constitution will now be heard!

Comment by Bill — April 10, 2009 @ 7:02 pm - April 10, 2009

40. Kudos, Bruce. I’d be interested in forming a local chapter (and have the Tampanians & Orlandoans drive here for a change), but I don’t know anything about forming local chapters. I signed up and am interested in learning more.

Holy flirking schnitt, Tom! I’ve never seen anyone jump to wild conclusions and make crazy ASSumptions so fast before. Did you hurt yourself? Take some Aleve and read the GP archives.

And I gotta ask the miserable socialist:

Since when?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 10, 2009 @ 7:12 pm - April 10, 2009

41. #31: “Of course. The *only* conceivable purpose of a gay conservative group is to spread ‘gay values’ to conservatives; never to spread ‘conservative values’ among gays.”

You said it, ILC. It’s not rocket science to understand why the Democratic Party attracts the majority of gay voters–they (purportedly) support the “pro-gay” agenda of same-sex marriage, ENDA, repeal of DADT, etc. But what I just don’t get is their unwavering allegiance to every other aspect of the Left’s agenda. We’ve seen it on this blog–the gay lefties will argue just as fiercely against the War on Terror as they will in support of same sex marriage. I’m sure some gay Dems disagree with their party on this or that issue, but my observation is that if you’re a gay Democrat, then you’re obviously pro-same-sex marriage, but in addition, you’re pro-abortion on demand, pro-high taxes, pro-HUGE government, anti-war, pro-amnesty, and a global warming Kool-Aid guzzler as well. Democrats obviously have no problem selling this as a package deal to LIBERALS, but why are gays such willing buyers of the ENTIRE package too?

Comment by Sean A — April 10, 2009 @ 7:28 pm - April 10, 2009

42. #35: “Another excellent reason to leave Log Cabin.”

AE, Meghan McCain is an excellent reason to leave the room.

Comment by Sean A — April 10, 2009 @ 7:31 pm - April 10, 2009

43. Why do you need a gay group to focus on non-gay issues?

Isn’t it funny how gay-sex liberals like Besen whine about “non-gay” issues even as the gay-sex liberal organizations they support whine about “election law, abortion, the establishment clause, employment law, environmental law, equal protection, and the First Amendment”?

How is environmental law a gay issue? Care to explain that, gay-sex liberals?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 10, 2009 @ 7:33 pm - April 10, 2009

44. 32. You are certainly free to opine that the number one Gay civil rights issue is stopping abortion so that in the future event that the gay gene is discovered, and people can genetically modify a fetus, then legislation to stop them from using such knowledge to remove the gayness from the fetus.

You also could go after anti-Gay Democrats like Artur Davis, Bobby Bright, Bill Lipinksi, Collin Petersen, Heath Shuler, and a few other anti-Gay Democrats. That might actually be useful. Or go after Pelosi for not moving on Gay issues. But given that you haven’t supported any Gay rights issues yet, it might be kind of hard for you to attack anyone credibly for not moving on issues that you haven’t come out in favor of.

However, given the posts on here, I remain concerned that you will use as your prime focus (or be used by anti-Gays as ammunition) of stopping ENDA, and the Matt Shepard Act, and making sure that Gays continue to get hounded out of the military because obviously, any Gay is prima facie unfit for service.

Other than being upset over Scrock and Craig being outed, and your argument that banning abortion is a current and vital Gay rights issue, What Gay rights issues are you FOR? That are specific to Gays?

What openly Gay elected official is your organization going to champion? Or are you just going to attack every Gay elected official? Even on non-Gay rights issues?

You could also opine that the number two Gay rights issue, is the right of far right elected officials to publically demean and oppose the Gay community and then be protected from any outings. An interesting note, why are you opposed to outings of conservative Gays that are opposed to Gay rights while living in the closet, but don’t appear to have a problem with a company firing someone because they are Gay. I don’t get it. It sounds a bit of, I don’t like it when people do to me what I want to happen to the ‘stereotypicals’ that you wish to go without protections. It all seems so self serving.

You certainly can argue that the market will solve the problems of any Gay man fired, or that taxpayers should subsidize groups that discriminate against Gays. Or remain silent about the Republicans shifting HIV/AIDS funding towards groups hostile to GLBT Americans and who use this money to exclude Gay men who are not lifelong celibates. You will issue your press releases, and they will be used by the AFA, and LaBarbera, and they will have no impact on the Culbersons, the Vitters, and the Martinezes of the party. Its a free country.

But understand, that if you’re opposed to employment discrimination protections by Gays while knowing full well that there will ALWAYS be protections for Baptists, while at the same time representing yourself as a Gay organization that speaks for anymore than a handful of Gay people, then I think you may find that others will use their freedom of speech too.

If you keep your organization to working within the Republican party, good luck. But if you are there to carry water for the anti-Gays so that they can kill critical and vital bills for the vast majority of the Gay community, then you will likely end up even more marginalized than you are now.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 7:36 pm - April 10, 2009

45. Oh and are you for a specific law that recognizes the existence of a Gay gene and then prohibits modifications based upon that? Or are you simply just opposing abortion and any genetic modifications? Just curious about that. My guess is that it is the second, but the first one, while largely symbolic, would show some nerve. But unfortunately, not many (if any) GOP Congressmen and Senators would sign on to that legislation.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 7:50 pm - April 10, 2009

46. 42. While I don’t agree with the way Besen does everything, he at least has been doing SOMETHING to try and fight for Gay rights internationally. I believe him to, singlehandedly, do more than HRC does. Is he a liberal? Perhaps. What have you done to fight for the rights of Gays internationally? Other than as an aside to a Republican talking point (e.g., support the war in Iraq because of Gay rights, even though the Iraqi government is now repressing Gays worse than ever).

It seems as though a lot of the views I see in here are third level derivative issues that are contorted in some attempt to tie them to GOP talking points (your abortion argument or tax issues would qualify). Will this group ever advocate for Gay rights issues as Gay rights issues?

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 10, 2009 @ 8:03 pm - April 10, 2009

47. #42: “How is environmental law a gay issue? Care to explain that, gay-sex liberals?”

NDT, the health of the environment is a vital gay issue. Even as we speak, deforestation is eradicating outdoor areas for gays to engage in anonymous sex at a rate of an acre per second. And are you actually saying you don’t see the threat that a volatile climate poses to the ability to plan and host a successful outdoor sex fair?

Comment by Sean A — April 10, 2009 @ 8:18 pm - April 10, 2009

48. And are you actually saying you don’t see the threat that a volatile climate poses to the ability to plan and host a successful outdoor sex fair?

Of course NDT doesn’t worry about deforestation removing the cover of outdoor sex fairs. NDT like to attend sex fairs out in the open, in full leahter kilt regalia.

And what’s with all you homocons being obsessed with the sex that everyone else is having? Geez, Sean, maybe if you were gettin’ it regular, you wouldn’t have to imagine outdoor sex fairs

Comment by Mr. Enemabag Jones — April 10, 2009 @ 9:01 pm - April 10, 2009

49. I am perpetually amused at how gay-sex liberals like Tom in Lazybrook will scream that taking a conservative position on issues is “giving the anti-gays ammunition”, but that their fellow gay-sex liberals advocating plural and incestuous marriage, taking children dressed as sex slaves to sex fairs, insisting that the pleasures of gay sex be taught to five-year-olds, claiming that it is common for gay men to have sex with teenagers seventeen years their junior, and saying that organized religion should be banned does nothing of the sort.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 10, 2009 @ 9:07 pm - April 10, 2009

50. Good luck.

I’m not a joiner and I think the principles of libertarianism/conservatism are opposed to identity politics which, from the statements I’ve read, GOProud intends to practice. I don’t even like the idea of ‘gay issues’.

Still, good luck.

Comment by Ignatius — April 10, 2009 @ 9:08 pm - April 10, 2009

51. What have you done to fight for the rights of Gays internationally?

Living my life as a decent and respectable human being.

That, and insisting that Saddam Hussein was a murderous, genocidal, and ecocidal megalomaniac whose record of defiance, of outright mass murder, of massive corruption, and of building banned weapons absolutely justified his removal, regardless of how “nice” he was to gays.

You don’t get that, Tom in Lazybrook, because your world revolves around your sexual orientation. You simply aren’t capable of thinking of anything else. You don’t care how many children starved to death under Saddam Hussein, or how many billions of dollars he misdirected to weapons-building, or how many hundreds of thousands of Shi’ites died in his jails, or how many millions of acres his vengeance against the Marsh Arabs virtually destroyed; all you care about is that he was nicer to gays than you think the Iraqi regime is currently, and as such, you opposed Saddam Hussein’s removal.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 10, 2009 @ 9:13 pm - April 10, 2009

52. Bruce,

Congrats and good luck with your group! As a hetero Conservative Republican Jew (but who is not defined by any of those points), I will support any group that does not stab any republican in the back. That is why the GOP thought less of the LCR’s.

I await the day when media matters attacks democrats as LCR did the GOP. I voted “No on 8″ (a future Blog post) but, like you, I am annoyed at the people who want our support, yet seem to never return the favor.

Good luck and kick ass! And, please, please, PLEASE, replace Andreew Sullivan on Chris Matthew’s show. There is no diversity of opinion with him on.

Comment by JSF — April 10, 2009 @ 9:30 pm - April 10, 2009

53. #47: “Geez, Sean, maybe if you were gettin’ it regular, you wouldn’t have to imagine outdoor sex fairs”

Oh no. Busted by Enemabag. Yes, it’s true. My ultimate fantasy is a grotesque crowd of old, ugly, flabby, miserable, bitter, diseased, drug-addicted scumbags with empty, hopeless lives and nothing to look forward to in life but those few, precious weekends when they get to crawl out of their holes and force the rest of us to acknowledge their pitiful, meaningless existence. Mmmmmmm. Sexy.

Comment by Sean A — April 10, 2009 @ 9:38 pm - April 10, 2009

54. Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I can tell, they are not claiming that their mission is to advance conservative ideas among gays. They haven’t said they will target the gay community at all. (And even if that were their mission, there would be no reason to make it an explicitly GOP group, which would only limit their mostly Democrat-registered audience.)

So it appears that they are just a gay group that will sound off to whomever will listen about issues of general interest. OK, fine. But why should I care what Chris Barron has to say about private health insurance when there are other groups on both sides of that issue who are much better suited to inform and persuade?

This group will go nowhere because its mission makes no sense.

Comment by Bill — April 10, 2009 @ 9:48 pm - April 10, 2009

55. [...] Good timing: GayPatriot annouces the upcoming launch of GOProud, a gay conservative organization.  Unlike the Log Cabin Republicans, you can expect this new 527 [...]

Pingback by New Film Will Out Gay Republicans : Jenn Q. Public — April 10, 2009 @ 10:08 pm - April 10, 2009

56. I agree with you Bill, we need more information.

I am waiting for the mission statement.

Comment by Chuck In Del — April 10, 2009 @ 10:11 pm - April 10, 2009

57. This group will go nowhere because its mission makes no sense.

Oh. Well, that settles the matter. Thank you for telling us.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 10, 2009 @ 10:26 pm - April 10, 2009

58. YES!!!!

Comment by sandy — April 10, 2009 @ 11:28 pm - April 10, 2009

59. Still no discussion about establishing a clear pro-life position which protects gay children with a supposed-or-real genetic marker from being aborted. Why can’t gays discuss this issue? Why don’t gays see themselves as the first victims of a pro-choice agenda?

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 11, 2009 @ 12:12 am - April 11, 2009

60. NDT,

Are you now against the war in Iraq because Bush’s Iraqi buddies now are killling Gay people for being Gay? Ever participated in any action against the Russian Orthodox Church, the Bush Administration, the Vatican, or the leaders of the Teabagging (oops I mean the Tea Party anti-tax and anti-Gay protests – led by the American Family Assn.) for carrying water for Iran and Syria at the UN because they simply wanted to say that executing or imprisoning Gay people simply because they are Gay is wrong?

Are you supporting the boycott of Jamaica over its’ hideous treatment of Gays and Lesbians? Or since that doesn’t have some third derivative link to some GOP talking point, is that off your radar?

Please spare me your phony support of the rights of Gays internationally if you didn’t condmen Chertoff/Bush for deliberately sending Gays back to unfree countries for Gays when they applied for asylum. And for supporting UN non-criticism for Iranian EXECUTIONS of Gays.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 11, 2009 @ 12:37 am - April 11, 2009

61. Ash, what discussion do you want? The genetic test you’re talking about is a theoretical, it’s not here yet, so gays aren’t ‘victims’ of it, sorry. Having said that: Bruce agreed with your view at #21. What would you like to see discussed further, at this time?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 11, 2009 @ 1:10 am - April 11, 2009

62. Of course NDT doesn’t worry about deforestation removing the cover of outdoor sex fairs.

This must be some sort of joke?
    1. There are no forests on Castro or Folsom
    2. Why would anyone worry about deforestation? They invented these crazy newfangled things for forests — theyre called “trees” — they grow back!

FAR from being obsessed about itI have absolutely no interest in sex everyone else is having — particularly liberals. I have found that, almost without exception, they do it very poorly.

The problem is, they wont STFU about it! They want to talk about it, and tell you how “proud” they are of it, and parade about it, and write plays about it…its like a child who just made his first poop — it may be utterly fascinating to the participant — but to everyone else its usually just gross.

Comment by American Elephant — April 11, 2009 @ 4:26 am - April 11, 2009

63. “particularly liberals.” You are a butthurt loyalist, as well as the rarest of pokemon descended from the ripest fruits (lol) of the stonewall tree.

Oh housef****ts, cognitive dissonance is thy name.

Comment by Chris — April 11, 2009 @ 5:40 am - April 11, 2009

64. Thanks Tom. I was having trouble sleeping, but your inane bloviations have really helped. Clearly you overcompensate for your misery by trying to convince everyone that you’re smarter than they are. Funny, boob disappears and then you show up. Hmmmm.

Anyways I can’t imagine someone being so smart and yet puts this pile forward:

Surely you can see the idiocy in that line. What’s more, I may have gone to public school in Mississippi, but even I know an interrogative statement ends with a question mark (?). Look into it. It should be just below and to the left of the ENTER button on your keyboard.

Further, I can tell you one damn thing GOProud WON’T be is a demand for everyone to be as equally miserable as you and your fellow liberals are.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 11, 2009 @ 6:38 am - April 11, 2009

65. Congrats…A true conservative voice within the gay community…welcome to the party!

Comment by Dan — April 11, 2009 @ 8:14 am - April 11, 2009

66. As a ‘free-thinking” gay man I have been less than pleased with hearing that ‘Palin is a blithering idiot’ for quite a while.

Comment by Lite Fuzz — April 11, 2009 @ 8:46 am - April 11, 2009

67. #21

Yes, I would definitely want to see their stand on …

A woman’s right to ABORT her fetus simply because it’s gay

… Before I even think of joining this group.

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — April 11, 2009 @ 9:00 am - April 11, 2009

68. Oops–I missed that post! Sorry. I’m glad that you’re including a pro-life agenda. I also think, from a purely political point of view, that it will help you gain conservative support. I suspect that there are many conservatives, such as those protesting Obama’s appearance at Notre Dame, who would welcome the support, and who have probably never heard of pro-life gays. Think what would happen if being gay meant being pro-life the way Seventh Day Adventism means being vegetarian–they might actually want us to form covenants and adopt children.

Why don’t you make one of your first public statements something in support of those who protest Obama’s appearance at Notre Dame?

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 11, 2009 @ 9:35 am - April 11, 2009

69. Well, won’t this be interesting?

Comment by VegasTeaRoom — April 11, 2009 @ 12:47 pm - April 11, 2009

70. #59: “This must be some sort of joke?”

Yes, AE. I was joking, to illustrate that I understand the motivation behind the majority of gays joining the Democratic Party (because they believe the Dems are with them on same-sex marriage, ENDA, DADT, etc.), but that I don’t understand why 99% of them fall so dutifully into line on every other item on the liberal agenda as well, even where there is no specific “gay” aspect to the issue (e.g. why are gay Democrats also uniformly–and vehemently–anti-war, pro-abortion, pro-high taxes, pro-big government, pro-universal healthcare, and global warming whackos?)

Comment by Sean A — April 11, 2009 @ 12:48 pm - April 11, 2009

71. Hi there! I run my own Conservative blog for gay men and women and have suppported the Log Cabin Republicans for quite awhile. I also link to them on my blog. I have been troubled, as a Conservative, by the joy with which they seem to embrace judicial activism. I do think there is much that comes out of the organization that is good–but, you are correct; there’s not much that’s “conservative” that comes out of the group. I will likely continue to promote them as well as this new group that seems to be taking root. The gay marriage has always been a difficult issue for me since I so easily see both sides of the issue. I recognize the traditional reasons for marriage as a stablilizing force in society but also would like gay men and women to be able to enjoy the same benefits as straight married couples. Fascinating!

Comment by Christopher Budden — April 11, 2009 @ 1:30 pm - April 11, 2009

72. I wonder what Jesus will think of all this when he wakes up tomorrow?

Comment by Tom — April 11, 2009 @ 5:13 pm - April 11, 2009

73. I wonder what Jesus will think of all this when he wakes up tomorrow?

I’m guessing He will think it’s worth a shot and wish the organizers and members good luck.

Comment by Pat — April 11, 2009 @ 11:07 pm - April 11, 2009

74. [...] verwundert nicht, dass diesem Blogger die Log Cabins nicht rückständig genug waren. Deshalb verkündet er mit stolzgeschwellter Brust, an der Gründung einer Konkurrenfirma beteiligt zu [...]

Pingback by Der Zickenalarm bei den schwulen Konservativen « Steven Milverton — April 12, 2009 @ 6:05 am - April 12, 2009

75. Let’s hope the the newly organized Beltway insiders are out for the good of the party and all of the people it serves.

I was very pleased to have worked with Log Cabin’s Patrick Sammon since I personally found that during his leadership his door was always open whenever the need arose.

Our Florida LCR clubs, thanks to Jeb Bush and our county REC leaders, are also State Chartered Republican Clubs . Like Chairman Steel advises we are working diligently to enrich and activate the grass roots for the future of Party of Lincoln and ethical leadership in the running of this great nation.

A-Jay Eddy

Comment by A-Jay Eddy — April 12, 2009 @ 7:11 am - April 12, 2009

76. Now if only their website was up to submit a resume.

Comment by Mike — April 12, 2009 @ 9:41 pm - April 12, 2009

77. So basically the founding of this organization is to promote conservative causes. That’s great. What I am trying to figure out is what the founding of this group has to do with being gay. It seems to me the things you believe in are just plain old fashioned conservative ideological positions. There are plenty of organizations to do that. Why not just join them?

Comment by Dave — April 13, 2009 @ 1:43 pm - April 13, 2009

78. #73 – A-Jay: I guess you don’t read GayPatriot much. I live in Charlotte, NC and specifically left DC to get away from the “beltway”.

Comment by GayPatriot — April 13, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - April 13, 2009

79. Its time for someone representing conservative gays in this nation to speak up. I do not see this new group as a threat to Log Cabin Republicans at all. LCR missed the boat on addressing the big issues that appeal to larger audiences which is why I never joined. Besides, I am a republican first and welcome any new voices in our tent. And if I do have issues with an elected GOP official, I communicate with them privately, not in public. I am a republican first and still believe that our party can and will change, but if democrats who think of themselves as conservative speak up and join this new group, great. We need new voices and we need to talk about the issues that America cares about and “Marriage” has its limitations.

Comment by James Matindale — April 13, 2009 @ 5:51 pm - April 13, 2009

80. Signed up! Here’s hoping that the new organization will (1) actually be ACTIVE and (2) be welcoming to those of us in the libertarian-Goldwateresque tradition….

Comment by Thom — April 13, 2009 @ 6:24 pm - April 13, 2009

81. If Republicans wanted my vote in the past 30 years, they should have asked for it, or at least not insulted those whom I love (and me) by questioning my very right to exist.

The Republican party is like an elephant carcass that’s stinking up they entire country.

Effff the GOP forever.

(And, a Spanish court is looking in to indictments against six members of the Bush adminstration for TORTURE… which kind of puts some icing on that rancid Bush cake.)

Comment by Anne Reginald — April 13, 2009 @ 10:39 pm - April 13, 2009

82. I respectfully beg to differ with Anne R. I am a conservative stright married republican woman who has many friends and co-workers in the Gay Community and nothing but respect for same. I happen to welcome anyone that shares my fiscal conservatist nature, respect for family (family as defined by the loving bonds between couples and children no matter who the couples may be) and love of freedom that makes this country great. It is time to have an open dialog instead of hurling insults as hurling insults only intensifies bad feelings and magnifies differences but I hope a dialog can bring us together by promoting understanding

Comment by D.C.A — April 14, 2009 @ 11:12 am - April 14, 2009

83. I hope they put more “pride” into their cause then they did with their “WEBSITE” Yikes. Makes me nervous that this group wants my support, yet seems to know nothing about how to promote itself or show a sense of pride in itself. Seems like it was thrown together the last minute in an attempt to seem creditable. Hard to take them serious and not just a flash in the pan organization.

Comment by GOProud? — April 15, 2009 @ 12:56 pm - April 15, 2009

84. I registered…but then it stayed on the “register” page and I couldn’t see anything of the site. Looking forward to seeing more about GOProud.

Comment by Calvin — April 15, 2009 @ 7:04 pm - April 15, 2009

85. Its amazing, if you take on step outside the liberal DC groupthink, you’re tagged a moron, or worse. The liberal gay agenda is like feminism, you must walk in lockstop to such a strict ideology, and what’s truly sad is that this comes from the party of “tolerance.” Yeah, tolerance as long as you agree with everything I say.

Comment by mmv — April 15, 2009 @ 9:15 pm - April 15, 2009

86. Chill out, Anne, get some therapy for that chip on your shoulder. This isn’t DailyKos and I’m sure you’re late for your teachers union meeting.

Comment by dude in va — April 15, 2009 @ 9:30 pm - April 15, 2009

87. [...] self proclaimed tech wizard, Megan McCain, missed that the real Gay conservatives have formed there own real conservative group. They even talk about Reagan without laughing or making fun of him to impress liberal donors [...]

Pingback by The Rude News » Blog Archive » LGF, & The Snuggies Of Conservatism — April 19, 2009 @ 12:47 am - April 19, 2009

88. Sad how you and your group were treated at CPAC. I dont get it! Are you masochists or something?! Why go somewhere where you are hated, demonized and ostracized? Why not come over to the Dem or Lib side where you are welcomed and valued? And look at Obama truthfully! He is NO Liberal. If you check his policies-they are very Moderate to Conservative-he is no radical leftist. Stop banging your head against the wall and making fools of yourselves by always playing doormat in your own party. Come on in out of the cold! Our tent is vast…

Comment by Democractic Danny — February 20, 2010 @ 1:54 am - February 20, 2010

89. While I can agree on your frustration re: LCR, I still think you are misguided in supporting the very community you seem to be so far from. Why do you have to follow in the same rhetoric that your fellow conservatives do by bashing anyone Democrat? This is what’s wrong with this country and YOUR party, you are so hypocritical.
    While I really commend your treatment of Ryan Sorba, I have to wonder where was your outrage at what Rick Santorum had to say about DADT and Gays. Why do you stand for this from your very own party. At least we don’t stand for that in the “liberal” party.
    My God, this is the one thing that we should be able to unite on, but again you are part of the Obstructionist Party. You fail to see the very hypocrisy within your party that you project on others.
    Wake up! For you to denounce Meghan McCain when she is a staunch Republican and an extreme Gay Rights Supporter is simply HYPOCRITICAL. My God, you can’t even unite people in your own party to your cause.
    Again, you would have so much more credibility if you could work out a way for us to cross those party lines in our one common cause – Being GAY! Don’t alienate just to alienate.
    Please, I’m sure you have some good ideas and core values regarding gay community issues. At least we could try to come together on that common ground. But, don’t continue to slam a Democrat just to slam a Democrat, especially when they are supportive of Equal Rights. WAKE UP! The H8 can only stop with each of you.
    Again I ask, where was your outrage at what Rick Santorum spoke out against our community at CPAC. Shame on you…Quit being the Party of NO, The Obstructionist Party. We could accomplish so much more, if we could unite our cause together – just think about that..we could accomplish a lot, but only if you’re willing to meet half way.

GP Ed. Note – First, I denounced Meghan McCain because she blabbered about yesterday’s events without knowing what the hell she was talking about. She was not here and didn’t even get the name correct of the group she “stood with” (GOProud).

Second, how have the Democrats been treating you since Stonewall? 1969-1994 was unchallenged liberal Democrat control of Congress. Where were your friends then?

Where are they now when they’ve had control of Congress for four years and the White House & Congress for over one.

Don’t be so childish and naive.

Comment by Sean — February 20, 2010 @ 11:37 am - February 20, 2010