Santa Monica “Tea Party” Report

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:46 am - April 16, 2009.
Filed under: LA Stories,Tea Party

Well, it was excessively windy when I arrived in Santa Monica so much so that they moved the protest from the Pier to the corner of Colorado and Ocean.

It was a most diverse crowd. One young man arrived on a skateboard while one old woman arrived, leaning on her walker. There were a lot of young people, maybe one-third of the crowd was under 30. And a good number of Ron Paul supporters, maybe one-fifth of the crowd.

It was haphazard. People were coming and going all day. And no one was sure who was in charge. While angry about federal spending, people were very, very friendly to one another. It almost seemed like a party at one point.

At the height of the rally, we estimate that there were about 400 people there, pretty good considering it was in the middle of the day in one of the most liberal jurisdictions in LA County.

I left this party to attend the evening rally in Van Nuys which drew a much larger crowd, maybe as many as 2,000. Fewer Ron Paul supporters there.

Here are a few of my Santa Monica pictures. In a later post, I’ll include those from Van Nuys.

Despite this woman’s loss of income, her spirits remained high.

And here are two ladies agitating for liberty, one of them our loyal reader Leah:

This was not just a Republican rally:

And here’s Leah laughing with a lesbian:

A sign that speaks for itself:

A real LA protestor, flashing his sign while chatting on his cell phone:

This patriot was not the only one hoisting a sign comparing the current government policy to piracy.
]

1. […] the actions in Santa Monica, and in the S.F. Valley. (I almost went to the latter, but was unable to get out yesterday; at least […]

Pingback by Gay Patriot’s Coverage . . . | Little Miss Attila — April 16, 2009 @ 5:35 am - April 16, 2009

2. Boosh!!

Thanks, Dan. Good to have reminders that you’re not all nutjubs on the left coast.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 16, 2009 @ 5:47 am - April 16, 2009

3. Where was Rep. David Dreier? Was he with the other gay patriots, drinking appletinis?

Comment by Terrible Leftist — April 16, 2009 @ 5:51 am - April 16, 2009

4. Leah, you’re adorable!

I *LOVE* all the people showing up in colonial costume! combine that with the protest theme, the constitutional quotes, the abundant flags….the bathed and groomed protesters…what a stark difference from lefty protests.

My city organized a last minute tea party that drew 500.

Oh, and that reminds me of the other thing I want to know… did liberals EVER have protests in anywhere near this many cities?

No wonder they are all in a dither… they have protest envy.

Comment by American Elephant — April 16, 2009 @ 8:05 am - April 16, 2009

5. Leah, you’re good-looking!

What I came to say: I’m struck by the relative intellectuality of the signs. “Don’t spread my wealth, spread my work ethic” – heh.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 16, 2009 @ 8:42 am - April 16, 2009

6. I loved the diversity (not to sound like a lefty) of the crowds. I think this shows that this is truly an American issue not just a “right-wing” issue. We are all concerned about the debt and spending going on unabated. Hope this draws us all together in a “bigger tent” than just a political party. Maybe since Obama said he was “unaware” of the tea parties it is time to have one major blow out one on the Mall. Linda S.

Comment by Linda Strickland — April 16, 2009 @ 9:44 am - April 16, 2009

7. Thank you guys for the compliments. I had a wonderful time, which is why I and so many others were laughing.
    To add to Dan’s comments. There were quite a few young Ron Paulians, kids with purple hair. Code Pink supplied 4 ‘ladies’ who were also protesting the excessive spending.

Republicans, Democrats, young, old, average looking citizens and very colorful ones.

I’ve got more pictures up on my facebook page. You are welcome to come check them out, just please, let me know who you are, cuz I don’t friend just anyone.
    Leah Kabaker

Comment by Leah — April 16, 2009 @ 11:16 am - April 16, 2009

8. #3 – Your comment is about as juvenile as Anderson Cooper’s. Grow up already.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 12:13 pm - April 16, 2009

9. #7 – Good God, Leah, you look gorgeous! If I were straight I’d be chasing you with a wedding ring! 😉

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 12:15 pm - April 16, 2009

10. Peter, been married to my amazing husband for 30 years, you wouldn’t stand a chance. As Dan can tell, you, I got myself a good catch.
    So you don’t go through any changes for me!

Comment by Leah — April 16, 2009 @ 12:21 pm - April 16, 2009

11. #10 – Mazel Tov on 30 years! (But I’d still like to join you two for a cocktail if I’m ever out that way.)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 12:22 pm - April 16, 2009

12. What’s so bad about my comment #3, Peter? Wouldn’t you think the gay patriots would be GOProud to count Congressman Dreier in their ranks? And those appletinis are yummy!

Comment by Terrible Leftist — April 16, 2009 @ 1:50 pm - April 16, 2009

13. Peter, I’d love to have a cocktail with you, or I’d love to offer you a home cooked meal.

Comment by Leah — April 16, 2009 @ 2:12 pm - April 16, 2009

14. In a dismissive LA Times article on yesterday’s local tea parties, it says these were “Republican-staged” events. Ha! Why did I see Ron Paul supporters, Ralph Nader fans, Democrats, Libertarians and Independents at a “Republican” event? Even Code Pink showed up to demonstrate against massive stimulus spending and bailouts.

Comment by Juju — April 16, 2009 @ 2:15 pm - April 16, 2009

15. #12 – I won’t dignify your respose with any comment except this one – your moniker is quite truthful.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 2:34 pm - April 16, 2009

16. And those appletinis are yummy!

Five years ago.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 16, 2009 @ 2:39 pm - April 16, 2009

17. #15 – Not only that, TGC, but L’infant Terrible still has not provided any evidence showng that his assertions (i.e. DNC talking points) are rooted in fact.

Which makes him a clueless troll in my book. Therefore, no response is necessary to his queeries.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 2:50 pm - April 16, 2009

18. #13 – Ditto if you two ever make it to Houston! 🙂

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 16, 2009 @ 2:51 pm - April 16, 2009

19. Maybe Congressman Dreier prefers to do his teabagging in the privacy of his own closet?

Comment by Terrible Leftist — April 16, 2009 @ 4:24 pm - April 16, 2009

20. Maybe Terrible Leftist and his fellow Obama Party members like Mike Rogers make these sort of attacks to cover up the fact that they prefer sex with underage boys?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 17, 2009 @ 1:13 am - April 17, 2009

21. […] Santa Monica “Tea Party” Report […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Thought Experiment for Jan Schakowsky(And other Democrats Who Slur “Tea Party” Participants) — April 17, 2009 @ 1:23 am - April 17, 2009

22. I wish that the diversity seen at this protest was more wide spread in both attendance and coverage. Great pics!

Comment by Evil Monk — April 18, 2009 @ 5:43 am - April 18, 2009

23. […] agree that the movement is kind of amorphous.  The rally in Santa Monica was a particularly “haphazard” […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » “Amorphous” Aspect of Tea Parties:Evidence of Their Grassroots Nature — April 19, 2009 @ 4:15 am - April 19, 2009

24. […] were nutjobs.  Yet, I know we have some nutjobs in our midst.  I even talked to a truther at one of the Tea Parties I attended.  But, look, there are nutjobs on both sides, as even one left-of-center blogger, perusing this […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Of New Jersey and Nutjobs — September 17, 2009 @ 7:28 pm - September 17, 2009