Log Cabin Convention Report

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 8:08 pm - April 17, 2009.
Filed under: Log Cabin Republicans,Tim Gill Watch

Does anybody have any news about this shindig?  The Log Cabin Convention is taking place in our nation’s capital this weekend.

I have a sense turnout is way down.  The only news I’ve been able to find on the web is the report that former McCain consultant Steve Schmidt gave a speech there saying he backed gay marriage.

At the San Diego convention last year, a presidential election year (when interest in politics tend to peak), turnout was down from the convention I had attended ten years previously in Dallas.  The organization didn’t seem to be growing, but contracting.

With the report in February that Log Cabin got most of the funds it used for ads slamming fellow Republicans from left-wing fund-raiser Tim Gill, the ostensibly Republican organization lost any credibility among gay conservatives and within Republican circles it had gained during the tenure of immediate past president Patrick Sammon.

Now with the launch of GOProud, Log Cabin is not longer the only group for gay Republicans around.  We have an alternative.

If you have any news from the convention, let me know and I’ll post it here.

1. Didn’t they just have a convention just a few months ago?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 17, 2009 @ 9:53 pm - April 17, 2009

2. I know Meghan McCain was also going to be a part of the convention.

I caught LCR’s new mouthpiece, Chas Moran, on CNN yesterday. He’s the guy who played frontman for the Anti-Prop 8 CA drive (I think).

The CNN newsreader asked him specifically about GO-Proud. He said that LCR has people on the ground in state after state, ready to work, to volunteer, call and campaign. He said something like LCR is the respected, well entrenched representative of gays in the GOP.

That’s all I know. I wouldn’t give LCR a plug nickel after the Romney stunts or the ground-breaking story you guys broke on Gill’s influence over the LCR.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — April 17, 2009 @ 10:03 pm - April 17, 2009

3. Typo in article: “former McCain consultant Steve Schmidt gave a speech there saying he B:LOCKED gay marriage” should be *BACKED* gay marriage

Comment by Maggie Leber — April 17, 2009 @ 10:52 pm - April 17, 2009

4. Thanks, Maggie, fixed.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — April 18, 2009 @ 1:29 am - April 18, 2009