“Sandbagging” the Tea Parties

Welcome Powerline Readers!!

One of the themes I have been addressing with great regularity almost since the moment I started blogging is how all too many on the left seek to insult and otherwise strive to discredit conservatives rather than engage them on the level of ideas.  Indeed, this is something I have witnessed since my undergraduate days when I regularly defended the Gipper.

I always found it such a delight (perhaps because it seemed all too infrequent) when someone on the left would recognize the sincerity of my support for that good man–even when they disagreed with my ideas or his policies.

Well, it would be nice if we could see more people the left –and in the mainstream media–who would show similar respect for the sincerity of this past week’s “Tea Party” protesters.  With as many as a half-million people protesting against bigger government (over one million if you count the way Democrats do), this represents a pretty significant movement, especially given that most rallies were held in the afternoon on a weekday when many who would otherwise attend them had to work (at least four of my readers contacted me personally to say they wished they could attend, but they couldn’t get off work).

Instead of acknowledging the significance of this growing grassroots phenomenon, all too many on the left, including at least one who calls himself conservative, prefer to mock the protests with sexual references rather than consider the sincerity of the protests.  I mean, c’mon, doesn’t it even occur to them as they wonder why we weren’t doing this during the Bush era that one reason the Republicans lost –and the Democrats won–last fall was because people rejected their spendthrift ways.  They were hoping for change.  And yet the change we got was more of the same, only on steroids.

No wonder people are upset.

What drove many Republican, Republican-leaning independents and libertarians to vote for Obama last fall, and what kept many fiscal conservatives home on election day is the exact same thing which spurred hundreds of thousands of people across the nation to take to the streets last Wednesday–concern about an ever-expanding federal government

Over at Powerline, Scott Johnson details (with a great variety of links) how “journalists” at MSNBC and CNN as well as an agitated blogger “used the rallies as an occasion for childish sexual innuendoes“:

There is not only something funny going on here, there is a story here. These supposed journalists and their networks (or publisher, in Sullivan’s case) have rather seriously insulted the citizens who colorfully took to the streets to air respectable views in a most civil fashion. If they had any decency, Cooper et al. would apologize for their vile reference to sexual practices in the context of ordinary citizens exercising their First Amendment rights.

Well, it’s just another example of those on the left seeking to discredit conservative ideas.  Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the counterparts of these juvenile “journalists” sought to dismiss the conservative movement.  They were thus unprepared for the advent of the most successful president of the second half of the twentieth century.

We may not see Ronald Reagan’s like again, but his ideas endure.  The more the media dismisses those who espouse them, the stronger we will become.

1. Oh heavens-to-Betsy! Sexual innuendo! You poor, poor conservatives! I agree with Powerline guy, that is a very serious insult indeed. Think of the children!

Come on. You guys realize you walked into that one, don’t you? I read lots of conservative blogs and saw lots of conservatives on TV insisting that we ought to ‘teabag’ our representatives, did I imagine all of that? Is this a case of a group of people not being able to take what they’re dishing out?

By the way, no one has thought of the most obvious one yet: Donkey-Punching! How beautiful is that? You guys could have Donkey-Punch parties where you serve up homemade Donkey-Punch! It can start right here!

Comment by Levi — April 18, 2009 @ 4:12 pm - April 18, 2009

2. They did walk into it, but you also don’t have reporters saying “those protesters really ate it” after showing posters with the dozens of vagina-related anti-Bush/f*cking for virginity slogans.

Its about the blatant bias from everyone but FOX.

Comment by Jordan — April 18, 2009 @ 4:44 pm - April 18, 2009

3. Our friends on the Left0ish side don’t realze that their opponents focus on the ideas… The catty personal comments and personal attacks do nothing to advanec a discussion. They do shut off any discussion or investigation of the ideas…

The Tea Protests are true grass roots… The Republican Party can play a role-or- become obsolete. It’s their choice. When there is no difference between a big Govt-Big Spending Democrat or Big Govt-Big sending Republican-America votes for the Democrats… That should have been a BIG -DUH-! moment in some Republican circles…but they seem to not understand…

America does not need an elite-anything- to tell us what to think, what to say or how to vote… we all know when Nov 5, 2010 comes…and we are wondering -IF- there will be new choices or the same old faces… If it’s the same old faces-then we’ll have some new ones in 2012… Maybe many-many new ones… 435 members of Congress and one-third of the Senate every two years… That’s a lot of seats open to examination by we-The-People

Comment by AndyJ — April 18, 2009 @ 4:45 pm - April 18, 2009

4. Levi, you’d have a point if they combined their sexual innuendo with honest reporting of the rallies and respect for our concerns.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — April 18, 2009 @ 5:06 pm - April 18, 2009

5. I had to look up Donkey Punch shortly after I read it, in practically identical fashion to “Teabagging”, which I had heard of but hadn’t realised precisely what it was.

Our rallies may be more grassroots but the sexually mad Leftosphere clearly has better parties than we do.

Cheers,
    Victoria

Comment by Victoria — April 18, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - April 18, 2009

6. Levi, you’d have a point if they combined their sexual innuendo with honest reporting of the rallies and respect for our concerns.

Again, respect is earned, it isn’t conferred automatically upon request. I mean, just try to look at this from my perspective. I think that if Bush could have been elected to a third term and he still had majorities in both houses of Congress, he would still be spending, but I don’t think there would have been a single tea party. Do you know why I think that? Because if you look at recent history, that’s exactly what happened. Bush won, spent a lot, and there were no tea parties. Bush won again, he spent a lot more, and still, there were no tea parties. I know Obama’s deficits are quite a bit bigger, but at the time, Bush’s were the largest on record. I simply find it hard to believe that it’s mere coincidence that now is the time when you’ve decided you had enough, and can only conclude that most of this blustering has to do with you guys simply not liking President Obama.

What you guys have earned is this time-out. You’ll earn my respect and start building credibility again if you guys can manage to wrest away control of the government at some point and actually follow up on what you say you’re all about. That could be a long time, but that really is the only way. Is that not fair? Lots of people just don’t trust you guys, you don’t think that’s justified?

Comment by Levi — April 18, 2009 @ 5:33 pm - April 18, 2009

7. What you seem to missing, Levi… is people couldn’t give a rat’s ass about your respect. You’ve repeatedly issued blanket statement, void of any actual facts. When called on them, you choose to ignore and jump onto your next rant.

In other words, you’ve proven to be quite the moron.

Comment by BDJ — April 18, 2009 @ 5:44 pm - April 18, 2009

8. Levi (back to your first comment): Actually, I think you DID “imagine” it. I also watch and read a lot, and I don’t recall hearing a single conservative talking-head or blogger use the word “teabagging” or “teabag” as a verb — that is, until AFTER the first non-conservative did it (Daily Kos?) and the rest of the MSM piled on like 7th-grade boys and that became a story in itself.

Comment by Mike — April 18, 2009 @ 5:53 pm - April 18, 2009

9. So Levi, what you are saying is that, if we going to have to vote for a bunch of corrupt thieving liars, it might as well be the Democrats? And we on the right don’t use (or understand the potential for) a lot of sexual innuendo in politics because most of us are grownups and left that sort of thing back in Jr. High School.

As for the noise you say we failed to make when Bush and the Republican Congress were doing the spending, you need to search the archives of sites like MicheleMalkin.com, ProteinWisdom, and AceofSpadesHQ, at the very least. We have now all officially had enough of wishing our politicians would listen to us and are going to make them listen, make them stand there and be booed when they try to hitch their corrupt wagons to our grass roots star and find real fiscal conservatives (R’s or D’s, we don’t care) to replace them in office.

Comment by OwenKellogg — April 18, 2009 @ 6:02 pm - April 18, 2009

10. Certainly some bemusement of the “teabagging” fiasco is just immaturity, but there is a bigger issue here.

There’s a cultural generation gap here. And the Republican party is on the wrong side of it.

The conservative leadership is so extraordinarily out of touch with young people that they set them selves up for ridicule. I promise, most folks under 30 know what teabagging is. Weather you like it or not (that’s beside the point), young folks think sexual innuendo is funny, and they’ve developed a big vocabulary for joking around about it. This isn’t some weird sexual subculture we’re talking about. Thanks to pop culture, young folks know slang for sex acts that are waay outside of their own experiences (tromboning, feltching, dirty sanchez, etc.).

Now, you can rant and rave about the crudeness of popular culture if you like (knock yourself out), but the fact is, the fact is, the people at these protests are way out of touch with popular culture and with the majority of young people. Wear that as a badge of honor if you want, but I’d be worried if my movement were so completely disengaged that it managed to name a protest movement after a sex act without realizing it.

And by the way, Scott Johson’s absurd little foray suggests that he thinks that creative oral sex is something that happens in gay bathhouses. He clearly needs to get out more. I’m a long time married straight white dude who doesn’t find sex acts involving mouths and genitals to be a particularly foreign or outrageous.

And now I’m getting immature. See what you people made me do?

Comment by Jamie — April 18, 2009 @ 6:06 pm - April 18, 2009

11. Levi – what are you so agitated about? You people won the presidency. Both houses of Congress are controlled by barking-mad Democrats. The president and his team are burning tons of jet fuel running round the world to apologize for whatever national sins, real and imagined, pop onto the TelePrompTer.

Lefties are busily dismantling what’s left of our culture (such as it is) and wrecking what’s left of the economy (e.g. here in California).

The left controls the media, the schools, the government, most of the healthcare system, the legal system, and most of the major corporations – yet you lefties are still angry. Nothing less than total submission will do.

When liberal clowns stage a protest, no matter how ludicrous, we’re all suppose to assume that they represent a broad segment of the populace. Some old bag shows her sagging bosom at a recruiting station and from that we “know” the GWOT is illegitimate. A snarky douche bag on Comedy Central out-snarks a financial TV host and from that we “know” that trillions in debt must be the right course.

But let some middle-class people who see their earning being siphoned away to one boondoggle or other and who see the very heart of the country being cut out and sold, cut-rate, to our creditors and watch the outrage. The temerity of the lumpenproletariat! The ignorant rubes who dare question their betters!

With a high-school education, I’ve worked my butt off to get where I am (just barely into the evil top 20 percent who pay 75 percent of the taxes).

My betters inundate the community with future democrat voters imported from the third world (selling out the lower-skill workers already here); lobby to import more competition for skilled workers like me; send my money to tyrants; fund lefty groups like ACORN who actively work against my interests and then dare to tell me I’m a greedy sonofabitch for wanting to put a cap on what they take. (If it’s greed to keep more of one’s OWN money, what do we call wanting to keep more of someone else’s money?)

You’re damn right if you think I’m PO’d.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 6:08 pm - April 18, 2009

12. Sorry for the rant – I was provoked.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 6:09 pm - April 18, 2009

13. SoCAlRob-

I’m sorry you all are upset at the humor found in the tea-bagging scandal, but what do you expect? If you all can’t figure out the cultural significance of the terms you choose to apply to your “movements”, why is that the fault of those on the left. For goodness sake, you all choose TEA-BAGGING and your Anti-marriage equality group chose the acronym 2M4M to agitate against Marriage Equality. Do you need us to explain the significance of that terminology and it’s meaning to the rest of society?

I have rarely read the personals, but anyone with half a brain could figure it out. AHHHH, half a brain, that’s what’s missing…

As for your missives about the left and what is currently happening within the Obama Administration, well if GW hadn’t screwed the pooch, along with the rest of the GOP over the last 8 years that you held power, we wouldn’t be in this cluster-f*#k in the first place. You claim that the left will settle for nothing less than your submission, yet you forget about the religious right you unleashed on America, which would have inflicted their biblical theocracy on all, what a crock.

And I say all this with the respect due you.

Comment by Burnsey — April 18, 2009 @ 6:38 pm - April 18, 2009

14. As for “teabagging”, it’s also a move in the multi-player games in Blood Gulch from HALO. After you kill your opponent, you teabag ’em to add insult to injury. Therefore teabagging liberals seems appropriate to me.

rather than engage them on the level of ideas.

Dan, you give them too much credit. Dimwits like Levi only have lying points from MorOn.org or KOShole. They have no idea how to back them up or prove them because they haven’t been told.

Maybe because the debt was on its way to being eliminated by the “tax cuts for the rich”. We were doing right well until the liberal created shit hit the fan, as usual. Yet another liberal program to “help the little guy” FAIL.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 18, 2009 @ 6:55 pm - April 18, 2009

15. Well, clearly conservatives are out of touch. 2M4M? Teabagging? I’ve no doubt someone is organizing that Donkey Punch party. “Swing” voters will be next. Releasing the Republican budget on April Fool’s Day….good heavens. No wonder Utah’s Governor Huntsman wants to dissociate himself from these people.

SoCalRobert: California is out of control thanks to the initiative system. Your party loves the will of the voters when they’re busy depriving sexual minorities of their rights. Not so keen on letting them vote on economic issues, huh?

Believe me, the failure of the GOP to stand for anything other than Obama bashing and mocking liberalism is disconcerting. The Democrats have never been as ideologically rigid and out of touch as the Republicans are today. Look at your 2012 front runners; I really hope someone sane like Huntsman gets the nomination (although he’d be more difficult to defeat, but I think Obama is safe). Everything else is lipstick on a pig. And he can’t even win your primary because you’re religious bigots.

Republicans have earned their time in the wilderness, and I have a feeling it is going to be a long, bitter experience for them. 65% of the youth voting against you? You’re doomed. And it is all your own doing.

Comment by Alec — April 18, 2009 @ 7:03 pm - April 18, 2009

16. Mike,
    The movement was named after an event in American History. The left changed the name and then made jokes based on their alteration which is a pretty long way to go to avoid dealing in a rational manner with something they are incapable of understanding.

Comment by aramkr — April 18, 2009 @ 7:12 pm - April 18, 2009

17. Burnsey,

I think So Cal view Gov Ahnold as a “RINO”;i.e. -he really hasn’t shown the needed masculinity to stop the out of control spending.Obviously,that’s only an opinion.Perhaps no one could have stopped the Calif Dem machine.Curiously,in a post which talks about respect,you tend to disprove it by invective.A couple of facts-courtesy of Voltaire.Voltaire was a French guy;which will allow a cheap oral sex connection.California is losing population;a very elegant piece on the cost of a U Haul between Texas and SF illustrates the cost and desire of people to live in Austin or SF.,Which trip do you think the company charges the leasse more;to or from California?If you don’t understand the significance,I’ll explain.Secondly,I don’t think the GOP held power the last 8 years. Tell me how you came to this conclusion.
    Finally,on a personal note.I’ve been working nearly free the last 5 years.Given where see the economy,I can’t take the risk my dollar’s value will be hyperinflated as well as decreased in absolute terms of dollars.My free care has decreased from 40 % (really) of my patient load to 5%.I’ve raised my prices substantially.(I always had the opportunity because I’m very,very good at what I do).And I’ve not taken Medicaid because it didn’t pay enough.(They were also free,although a small number.)I’m not religious,nor right(More Libertarian).But people like you do try to punish excellence.And I can’t trust my government.I’ll do fine.Let’s see how you do in a couple of years .

Comment by corwin — April 18, 2009 @ 7:13 pm - April 18, 2009

18. I am a Libertarian who voted for Obama out of digust with Bush spending and wiretapping. Guess what? Obama is worse. We can’t win whichever way we choose.

Comment by Dennis D — April 18, 2009 @ 7:19 pm - April 18, 2009

19. The simple and true explaination of the left is that they have no intellect and are not capable of an intellectual discussion of ideas.

They are obsessed with genitalia and they come by their stupidity “honestly”.

They get their “talking points” from Kos or some other vile leftie sewer and repeat them.
    It was the lefties like Huffie that came up with “teabagging” and the rest of the BS not anyone connected with the TEA PARTY rallys.

I bet you twits never heard of the Boston Tea Party of 1773.

What a bunch of poopy-heads!!!

Comment by Javahead — April 18, 2009 @ 7:27 pm - April 18, 2009

20. Burnsey – the governator is a leftist and the California legislature is well to the left of just about anything I can think of. Republican doesn’t mean conservative (just as there are conservative democrats). You will notice that conservatives (and most Republicans in CA) aren’t happy at all with Ahnold (I can’t speak for others but I wasn’t all that happy with GWB – especially when it came to spending).

As for California’s economy – the figures speak for themselves.

Lefties may certainly find humor anywhere they’d like. It’s a free country and my permission isn’t needed. Gaia knows – I find plenty of humor on the left. I do reserve the right to be offended when “journalists” abandon even a pretense at objectivity. And I think the original term was “Tea Party” (as in Boston Tea Party), not tea-bagging.

…religious right you unleashed on America, which would have inflicted their biblical theocracy on all…

Is there a keyboard macro that inserts a religious right reference? I’m using a Mac and I’ve not found that key.

I don’t feel threatened by the religious right. Are Christians to be denied civil rights – forbidden to express opinions and kept from voting until they come round to the correct way of thinking?

When it comes to religious fundamentalism (as in sharia), I see more opposition from the right then from the left. I invite you to look north to Canada or to Europe to see what’s coming.

We (me and hubby) lived openly in the Bible Belt for years and got along just fine. I’d rather be gay in Topeka (home of Fred Phelps) than be gay in, say, Detroit, Amsterdam, or Tiajuana.

And I say all this with the respect due you. Dittoes.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 7:55 pm - April 18, 2009

21. Sorry, Burnsey – filtered… so you’re denied my witty riposte.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 7:57 pm - April 18, 2009

22. The juvenile, unprofessional way that CNN and MSNBC reported on the Tea Parties just makes me laugh!

Have you checked out tvbythenumbers.com? Fox News has INCREASED their lead over CNN & MSNBC COMBINED… CNN & MSNBC continuing to conduct themselves in this frat house like way only accelerates their decline…

CNN & MSNBC – Becoming a little more irrelevant every day!

Comment by Hugh — April 18, 2009 @ 8:27 pm - April 18, 2009

23. Jamie, Burnsey, Alec,

Comment by American Elephant — April 18, 2009 @ 8:52 pm - April 18, 2009

24. Alec, you’re kidding yourself if you think the “youth” will show up with any kind of numbers, to make a difference in 2010 (which is when, Hussein Obama will lose any power he has).

Only reason Obama won, was because his opponent was/is impotent and Republicans, don’t trust him (McCain). 53 to 47, guy… that’s it. A hell of a lot closer than you obviously want to believe. Those Republicans and right-leaning Independents show up with ANY kind of numbers, in the next go-around, you all will right back where you belong.

Comment by BDJ — April 18, 2009 @ 9:22 pm - April 18, 2009

25. “This isn’t some weird sexual subculture we’re talking about.”

No, it’s about professional anchormen and women who should know better than to use sexual innuendo in their reportage of protests.

Or do you think they would’ve made fun of pro-gay California protesters by calling them a “drag”?

Also, I am vastly amused by this supposition that the kids today are so liberal generationally, that they will make the Republican Party a mere afterthought in the next decades.

This after the most leftist generation in the HISTORY of modernity, the Boomers, brought Ronald Reagan into power by landslide.

Open up a history book instead of the Joy of Sex, why don’t you. You might learn something about how young people become more conservative when reality finally hits them.

Cheers,
    Victoria

Comment by Victoria — April 18, 2009 @ 9:28 pm - April 18, 2009

26. BDJ,

You have to understand liberals — this is the first time they’ve even won a majority in over 30 years. 53% *IS* a landslide to them.

Comment by American Elephant — April 18, 2009 @ 9:31 pm - April 18, 2009

27. *except of course when its the 53% that opposed gay marriage in CA

Comment by American Elephant — April 18, 2009 @ 9:33 pm - April 18, 2009

28. Get over it, you big sissy.

Comment by Manly Man — April 18, 2009 @ 9:47 pm - April 18, 2009

29. I have a 20 year old daughter who just learned that paying the INTEREST on the 2010 budget will cost her an incremental $144,000 in lifetime federal taxes. Let’s just say she isn’t so thrilled about Obama’s kind of change. Wait until she and her peers see what the stimulus, plus his first 4 budgets, plus nationalized health care, plus carbon cap & trade, plus fixing medicare and social security will do to her future earnings. I see a wave of new conservatives in the wings…if only the MSM would tell the truth about the COSTS of Obama’s programs.

As for the CA situation, we booted Davis and elected the Governator based on promises to hold the line on state spending. After a single feeble effort at the ballot box with props, he caved and hired a lifelong Democrat operative as his chief of staff and has been surrendering to the Dems in the Capital ever since. At the Tea Party in Santa Ana he was roundly booed and the recall campaign against him was robustly cheered.

Clearly, the shift in demographics and tax policy is positioning us in CA and nationally where a class of citizens who do not pay taxes (or only a small level) will carry a majority weight at the ballot box. At that point, there will be no voter constraint on spending since the chief recipients will pay none of the burden, so why wouldn’t they insist on ever larger gov’t spending programs? What then happens to this economy and our freedom?

Comment by in_awe — April 18, 2009 @ 9:51 pm - April 18, 2009

30. Since we have many left wingers (at least they use a lot of different names but spouting the same thing) which makes me wonder if it may not be only one person being paid by the multimillionaire Soros.

As far as knowing what teabagging implies sexually (I don’t) But then I didn’t know what queer meant as a noun until I went into the Army in 1942. So you can laugh. You are free to do so. But I don’t believe you know or appreciate what made and keeps this country free. It is not the left wingers.

Comment by John W — April 18, 2009 @ 10:23 pm - April 18, 2009

31. The scary part is that I’m sure Obama does appeal to the spoiled-brat leftist children who grew up thinking society should pay them for breathing, who threw fits if teachers actually graded them in school, and who, at age 26, are still living on their parents’ bedroom, groceries, and $1,000/week allowance.

And there are a lot of them. These are the people who can show up at a protest on a workday. After all, their welfare, be it from Uncle Sam or Mommie and Daddie, comes whether they work or not, and they have a vested interest in getting that welfare raised and any constraints on it removed.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 18, 2009 @ 10:35 pm - April 18, 2009

32. I think we should OWN the TEABAG label.

As in, YES, we have the freaking set of TEABAGS necessary to challenge this powergrabbing fool of a president and this spend-happy Pelosi Clubhouse.

Comment by Sphynx — April 18, 2009 @ 10:56 pm - April 18, 2009

33. GayPatriot » “Sandbagging” the Tea Parties…

Trackback from PunditKix.com…

Trackback by PunditKix — April 18, 2009 @ 10:57 pm - April 18, 2009

34. I jsut started reading your blog – Glad I found it – You are so on target with this subject…I voted for Ron Paul – disgusted with both Dem and Rep nominees…After 30 years as a Republican, I changed to Independent over 2 years ago….I woulddn’t attend Ft. Worth’s rally BECAUSE Governor Perry was there – He lost my vote to Kinky!

Comment by Cathy — April 18, 2009 @ 11:03 pm - April 18, 2009

35. So. . . . Hi, libs! If we’re TEABAGGERS, then lie down, and OPEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Sphynx — April 18, 2009 @ 11:06 pm - April 18, 2009

36. Bush won, spent a lot, and there were no tea parties. Bush won again, he spent a lot more, and still, there were no tea parties.

Probably because, as we see, deficits were falling.

Amazing. Taxes were cut, Levi insists the government was spending more each year, and yet deficits were going down. Meanwhile, Levi’s Obamamessiah quadruples government spending, drives for massive tax increases, and deficits are going up.

Almost looks as if the Obamamessiah’s attempt to purchase votes by providing illegal immigrants like his aunt with cheap housing, free healthcare, welfare checks, and no-show jobs, paid for by punishing legal American citizens who work, could actually cause problems. Who would have thought it?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 18, 2009 @ 11:16 pm - April 18, 2009

37. Lefties: A couple of points:

This isn’t about the GOP or Democrats – it’s about the future of this country. All you need to do is take a look at lefty governments around the world: head over heels in debt and coming unglued. If it was wrong for GWB and the GOP Congress to beggar the citizenry with runaway spending then it’s wrong for the Democrats to do the same (and then some). Two wrongs don’t make a right.

We cannot continue with a governing class (elected leaders and a metastasizing public sector) that exists to serve only its own interests. Politicians from both parties fail utterly in their duty to look out for the interests of this country and its citizens.

Instead of retelling the sins of the GOP over and over and over – please tell us how the explosive growth of government will get us out the hole we’re in now.

I find it particularly interesting that, regardless of the issue at hand, you guys pull out the religious right canard. Looking around the world, the efforts to criminalize “defamation” of religion are confined solely to left-wing governments.

I read earlier that Obama has decided (for now) that the US won’t attend the UN conference on racism since it’s little more than a bash-Israel orgy and proposed restrictions of free speech. If he sticks with this decision – it’s to his credit.

Believe me, the failure of the GOP to stand for anything other than Obama bashing and mocking liberalism is disconcerting. Yup… especially after the last eight years of scintillating rhetoric from the left.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 11:30 pm - April 18, 2009

38. California is out of control thanks to the initiative system.

Please point out where I said I favored CA’s ballot initiative process. Given the large number of liberals in California and the loose initiative process, it’s a splendid example of Leftists Gone Wild.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 11:33 pm - April 18, 2009

39. #20: I second your comment. If (big if) the GOP manages to come up with a candidate who can explain to younger voters the effect crushing debt will have on their future, the liberals will have a rough go of it.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 18, 2009 @ 11:38 pm - April 18, 2009

40. One thing the leftists are right about is that the Republicans have earned their right to be in the wilderness. A lot of the nation was upset not just with the war, after a while Americans wanted that money spent in their communities. But also because of other mis spent money. Too much Pork. Now how has that changed exactly? Instead of $400 Billion deficiets there are $3trillion deficiets during Obamas first 4 years. So I’m not sure what the change has been. I understand in March, we had record setting home foreclosures. Unemployment has hit 8.6% Michigan has a stunning 12.6%. Where exactly has all this money gone?

Comment by Gene on Pennsylvania — April 18, 2009 @ 11:39 pm - April 18, 2009

41. http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/04/foreclosures-hit-record-high-in-q1/

Comment by Gene on Pennsylvania — April 18, 2009 @ 11:40 pm - April 18, 2009

42. Please, explain to me how the left is ruining the economy of california. Or did you forget the Governator?

… who is a RINO who just **raised taxes, caving in to the wishes of the Left.**

Add the leftist “teachers’ unions” to the mix – the people who are given 3 times the real, per-kid budget they were given 30 years ago – and the trial lawyers, the crushing anti-business regulations (favored by the Left) and whatnot, and you have a definitive answer.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 18, 2009 @ 11:56 pm - April 18, 2009

43. #14: “Your party loves the will of the voters when they’re busy depriving sexual minorities of their rights.”

Sexual minorities? Exactly how many of these “minorities” are there, Alec? And how are they broken down? Is there a specific color of bandanna assigned to each that we should be aware of? Are we to determine which “minority” we belong to by reference to WHAT we did in the sack last night, or WHO we did? Does one’s membership transfer from one minority to another automatically if one changes from a dress and high heels to a leather harness and ball-gag? What happened? I thought the Gay Left said this whole thing was about “rights,” not sex.

Jesus. I don’t even want to think about what could compel a person to cavalierly describe himself as part a “sexual minority.” It’s just…ew.

Comment by Sean A — April 18, 2009 @ 11:57 pm - April 18, 2009

44. Aargh, bad edit. Of the teachers’ unions, I meant to say: “the people who are given 3 times the real, per-kid budget they were given 30 years ago *and yet they still can’t teach*, so they always demand more money”.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 18, 2009 @ 11:59 pm - April 18, 2009

45. Levi appears to be of the mindset that wanting to keep the money you earned is selfish whereas taking other people’s money is an act of selflessness.

Comment by Roy Mustang — April 19, 2009 @ 12:04 am - April 19, 2009

46. California’s financial problems were caused by conservatives – who passed Prop 13, and have fought tooth and nail ever since on any effort to normalize property taxes in the Golden State. Of course the state is broke – more than half of the property is undervalued, yet all those citizens of California still want schools, parks, services, etc.

I admit that the comments on MSNBC did become juvenile, but it was the appropriate tone for the protesters, who seem like a bunch of spoiled children, unhappy because the mean Democrats took away their toys. It’s time to accept that you lost the election. This is taxation with representation – and if you want to change it – WIN the NEXT one.

Comment by Grace — April 19, 2009 @ 1:39 am - April 19, 2009

47. “Wait until she and her peers see what the stimulus, plus his first 4 budgets, plus nationalized health care, plus carbon cap & trade, plus fixing medicare and social security will do to her future earnings. I see a wave of new conservatives in the wings…if only the MSM would tell the truth about the COSTS of Obama’s programs.”

(wince)

It’s almost as if President Obama were CONSCIOUSLY trying to bring down America. But I’m sure that’s not the case.

Cheers,
    Victoria

Comment by Victoria — April 19, 2009 @ 1:41 am - April 19, 2009

48. California’s financial problems were caused by conservatives – who passed Prop 13, and have fought tooth and nail ever since on any effort to normalize property taxes in the Golden State.

LOL….Proposition 13 passed over thirty years ago. Furthermore, it passed for a very good reason; people thought it was unconscionable that you should be punished with double-digit increases in your property tax from year to year for simply having the temerity to stay in your home. Hence Proposition 13, which caps the annual property tax increase that can be made on any property at 2%.

Think about that. Proposition 13 allows the state to increase property taxes 2% per year, which, by now, would mean that someone whose property taxes started at $1,000 30 years ago would now be paying $1,811 — an increase of 81% in property tax revenue. Yet for Grace and her fellow parasites, raising peoples’ taxes 81% isn’t enough. She needs more in her welfare check, and she doesn’t care if it’s taken from senior citizens on fixed incomes who have stayed in the same house for decades; that’s her money, and they should be punished.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 19, 2009 @ 3:07 am - April 19, 2009

49. This is taxation with representation – and if you want to change it – WIN the NEXT one.

Not exactly, given that Obama Party strongholds have more registered voters than they have residents who are eligible to vote.

Meanwhile, since Obama lied and claimed he was going to cut taxes when instead, as you admit, he’s raising them, how do Obama Party supporters like yourself make the claim that voter support Obama’s massive tax increases?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 19, 2009 @ 3:12 am - April 19, 2009

50. […] “Sandbagging” the Tea Parties […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » On the Social Benefits of Being a Gay Conservative — April 19, 2009 @ 3:37 am - April 19, 2009

51. #41: “I admit that the comments on MSNBC did become juvenile, but it was the appropriate tone for the protesters, who seem like a bunch of spoiled children, unhappy because the mean Democrats took away their toys.”

Grace, I assume by “toys” you are referring to the hard-earned money of the productive citizens in our society, and their children’s money, and their grandchildren’s money, …? Obama DID NOT campaign on promises to spend trillions and trillions of dollars–he promised to go “line by line” to cut excessive spending and that he would only raise taxes on Americans earning over 250K per year. He also promised transparency and a 5-day opportunity for Americans to review proposed legislation. HE LIED. People are angry and they should be. Yet you characterize them as “spoiled children” deserving of the “juvenile” but “appropriate” criticism from the Obama-zombies at MSNBC.

Grace, do you know what “teabagging” is? It refers to the sexual activity of licking someone’s balls. That’s the kind of joke that was made on the air all day and all evening at MSNBC and CNN regarding the Tea Parties. You unequivocally stated that these comments were APPROPRIATE. Do you even realize that? You are really so brainwashed that you believe that there are circumstances when it’s appropriate for anchors of national news broadcasts to make jokes about conservatives licking each other’s balls on the air. Go ahead and let that sink in for a minute–you’re the chick who thinks jokes about ball licking made by national news anchors on the air is perfectly acceptable. That’s you.

Just something to think about if you comment here again and actually expect anyone to take you seriously.

Comment by Sean A — April 19, 2009 @ 3:52 am - April 19, 2009

52. Teabag is a noun in proper English and yet many conservatives used the slang verb. This is when it became a rolling joke.

If they’d stuck to the noun usage, it wouldn’t have happened. You can’t blame the left or moderate conservatives for the haplessness of the participants.

Comment by MacKenna — April 19, 2009 @ 4:45 am - April 19, 2009

53. #46, I’d have sympathy with your outrage if you’d once stepped up and questioned the wasteful spending and loss of tens of billions of still unaccounted for money by the Bush Administration.

Furthermore, Obama is stuck with the mess your lot created. If McCain had seized power he’d be doing the exact same thing re the stimulus and bailing banks. Don’t kid yourself.

The tea party demonstrations were nothing but a sore loser protest attended by mostly people who are going to benefit from a significant tax cut. Count your lucky stars you’re getting it after the crimes of the administration you supported for 8 nightmarish years.

Your hypocrisy is duly noted.

Comment by MacKenna — April 19, 2009 @ 4:51 am - April 19, 2009

54. I stopped reading Sullivan years ago when he turned mean and started attacking the messenger, when he couldn’t deal with the message.

The MSM and lefty bloggers are just pathetic, really, and reasonable readers are deserting them in droves – the proof is in the decline of advertising revenues well before the economy turned south.

Comment by Skeej — April 19, 2009 @ 5:49 am - April 19, 2009

55. The best estimate of the turnout for the “tea parties” was 250,000 people nationally – out of a population of more than 300 million. The folks at the tea parties are talking only to themselves – the rest of us don’t buy into the propaganda spewed by Fox and the rest of the conservative talking heads.

But when fewer than that protest the Iraq war, we’re supposed to surrender, trun tail and run.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 19, 2009 @ 7:02 am - April 19, 2009

56. I give respect when I get it.

Very few cons have the ability (From my experience) to respect anyone but “Themselves”

Comment by Grumpymann — April 19, 2009 @ 8:31 am - April 19, 2009

57. This is my first visit to your website and I’m surprised by the thinness of your skin. Not sure where you stand on civil unions/marriage for gays, but as a straight man I will be there to support the movement when it is taken to the streets. I suggest you stay home and not read any conservative blogs or watch FOX News because the jokes will be a bit more harsh than say, “teabagging.”

Comment by Duke — April 19, 2009 @ 9:14 am - April 19, 2009

58. No one could possibly take anyone seriously here.

Comment by 300baud — April 19, 2009 @ 9:46 am - April 19, 2009

59. I remember a time when news anchors were cynically aloof and urbane. They tended toward comments in said vein.

Now, we have news anchors who reference obscure sexual practices and think they are being big city hip in front of the ill informed rubes.

This ill-informed rube now knows what “tea bagging” is, and doesn’t find this expansion of his knowledge beneficial. Rather, he finds it appalling that we’ve got national news anchors behaving like a bunch of schoolboy juveniles who’ve just discovered something new and titillating they can giggle about during school.

Comment by Blake — April 19, 2009 @ 10:03 am - April 19, 2009

60. California is tanking because we spend 12 billion on illegal aliens each year, also the government has doubled in the last five years. We are trying to support 2 governments and we can’t, and they are still hiring teachers!! In the same breath threatening to lay them off, and then crying about the children. In LA county the dropout rate is 70%, this coming from the highest paid teachers in America. Then you have Arnie out there bold face lying about prop 1A, 1b saying it won’t raise taxes for 2 extra years, and don’t even rag on me for that because that’s the truth, read it. He’s a republican who promised not to raise taxes in his campaign and people are pissed. He’s also out there protesting with the illegals about their jobs because of the water mess we’re in because of a stupid fish they care about more than the true citizens of this state. They are all in it together dems and republicans, same thing. Oh these people that are defending this mess need their head examined, and they better hold on because the silent majority who are paying for all this have had it! Tea parties, tea bagging how ever you want to make fun of us will not change reality, we are broke. This state is broke. We can’t even get a loan. Heck the whole country is broke and the government is pretending we aren’t, what’s up with that??? Bankruptcy here we come.

Comment by jeaneeinabottle — April 19, 2009 @ 10:05 am - April 19, 2009

61. 250,000 is an extremely conservative estimate.

Lefty Nate Silver estimated 330,000, and he says he quit before counting all the events.

PJTV says over 550,000.

Comment by stace — April 19, 2009 @ 10:31 am - April 19, 2009

62. I’d have sympathy with your outrage if you’d once stepped up and questioned the wasteful spending and loss of tens of billions of still unaccounted for money by the Bush Administration.

Then one would think you would be beside yourself with anger, given the fact that your Obamamessiah is creating deficits and wasteful spending four times the amount of the worst years of the Bush administration.

The fact that you’re not, though, demonstrates that you don’t care about deficits or wasteful spending; you’re merely a hypocrite and an Obama shill.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 19, 2009 @ 2:44 pm - April 19, 2009

63. North Dallas Thirty:

Isn’t it amazing that all these leftists assume we conservatives supported the big government spending initiatives of President Bush?

Comment by Blake — April 19, 2009 @ 4:43 pm - April 19, 2009

64. #58: “A lot of conservatives criticized President Bush over the farm bill, Medicaid and the bloated transportation bill.”

…and don’t forget the prescription drug program, and the fact that conservatives were not afraid to go to WAR with the GOP over the biggest, interminable welfare program ever proposed (at that time): SHAMNESTY. And Levi the Laughable claims to “honestly” not recall any such opposition to the Bush Administration raised by conservatives because it would throw a monkey wrench into his baseless argument that we are/were all a bunch of Bush shills, enthusiastically defending every policy and decision he made during his Presidency. A classic case of transference.

Comment by Sean A — April 19, 2009 @ 5:36 pm - April 19, 2009

65. Sean,

And, let’s not forget the big hoorah over Harriet Miers.

But, according to leftist liberals, we Bushbots blindly supported President Bush and went along with all of his policies without complaint.

Comment by Blake — April 19, 2009 @ 6:04 pm - April 19, 2009

66. Sean A:

Well, if you don’t call gays, lesbians and the transgendered sexual minorities, what do you call them? I’ve noticed that the more careful conservatives (hedging their bets, I guess, given that their statements can come back to haunt them) have given up on degenerates, perverts, sodomites and faggots, huh?

There’s no denying their sexual attractions put them in the minority, much like conservatives. 🙂

And the fact remains: These protests didn’t exist from 2000 to 2008 because the majority of conservatives are simply interested in being lapdogs for Daddy Bush. Their failure to own up to his disastrous presidency is self-evident.

As for the 53% majority, what was the electoral vote count? Or do mandates only exist when you lose the popular vote and/or win by less than 53%?

Hypocrites to the end.

Comment by Alec — April 20, 2009 @ 1:13 pm - April 20, 2009

67. Everyone seems to miss the point that Congress is responsible for the budget. Who was in control during President Bush’s last two years, when the deficit truly ballooned??? The Democrats controlled the House, and the Senate was pretty evenly split. During the previous six years, Republicans should have done more to control spending, no question about it. However, the deficits acquired during those six years are substantially smaller than what we’re seeing now, in just three months. And, by the way, President Bush’s last budget was passed by a Democratic House and signed by Democratic president.

Last, the next time you hear someone comment that our troops didn’t have the right equipment to go to war in 2003, why don’t you ask President Clinton about those surpluses the Democrats constantly brag about? You’d think he would have cut some entitlement programs if he wanted to save money, but instead he cut the Defense budget.

Comment by Segoviana — April 20, 2009 @ 5:26 pm - April 20, 2009

68. American Elephant tries to be clever:

“The “tea parties” were not named after a sex act. They werent named “teabagging” parties. They were named “Tea Parties” after the Boston Tea Party — perhaps you should spend less time obsessing over sex acts for people who don’t get any, and look it up.”

You are correct sir. But that’s not the point. Liberals (and other people with a sense of humor) might have picked up the “teabag” meme, but we didn’t invent it out of thin air.

It took me about twenty seconds of googling to find conservative attendies of said parties standing around holding signs that use the word “teabag” as a verb, as in “Let’s Teabag the White House.” A Fox new reporter used the word that way in a clip that ended up the the Daily Show, which helped kick the whole thing off.

I were you guys, I’d know better than to use a word that was so obviously funny. They didn’t have teabags in the eighteenth century.

I think some of my responders missed my point. My point is not that people who don’t take the protests seriously were not being immature. My point is that mainstream American conservatism has gotten waay out of touch with young people.

A lot of young people are in fact quite sympathetic to a lot of conservative ideas, particularly economic ones. But until the Republican Party accepts the fact that the culture wars are over, they aren’t gonna get those votes.

This is the kind of movement that uses “teabag” as a verb without getting the joke.

Somebody up there referenced “The Joy of Sex” as a joke about us whippersnappers who aren’t taking this seriously. That’s the kind of reference that dates you guys. Nobody my age knows what that book is. (I do, but only because I study cultural studies and health. That book is an important HISTORICAL document. I’ve never read it by the way, but I should.)

Again, my point is not to defend this silly humor or to make fun of anybody. My point is to wave my arms around and say “you guys are doing everything you can to remind us that you are out of touch with most young people.” This is what you get when you marry yourself to an alienating social conservative agenda.

By the way, I’d looove to have a grown up conversation about Federal spending. That’s why I think the teaparties suck royally. The legitmate debate we SHOULD be having has been obscured by a bunch of yahoos who think Barack Obama isn’t a U.S. citizen.

Does that represent everybody at the tea parties? No. Did anybody at the teaparties say “hey asshole, we’re here to talk about fiscal responsibility, not crazy racist conspiracy stuff?” Not to my knowledge.

Do you guys even know how those teaparties looked from the outside.

Blame the MSM if you want. But everytime you do you sound like you are whining. Exactly like it sounds like whining when liberals do it.

Comment by Jamie — April 23, 2009 @ 3:40 pm - April 23, 2009

69. […] left, however, would rather smear this movement than understand our concerns.  I’ve blogged on this before, and more than once.  The latest to do so is Bill Maher who took to the Los Angeles […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Bill Maher & the Use of the “Tea Bag” Smear — April 26, 2009 @ 10:00 am - April 26, 2009

70. This horse is quite dead, but here’s some demographic stuff:

This is how you end up with a roomful of protesters who don’t know what teabagging is.

Comment by jamie — April 30, 2009 @ 12:53 pm - April 30, 2009