Obama and Ortega’s Anti-American Tirade

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 1:18 pm - April 19, 2009.
Filed under: Anti-Americanism Abroad,Leadership,Obama Watch

Something struck me as incredibly self-serving, narcissistic even, when I read than in response to Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega’s lengthy and angry tirade against the United States at the Summit of the Americas, the President of the United States responded, “You can’t blame the U.S. for every problem in this hemisphere. . . . I am very grateful that President Ortega didn’t blame me for things that happened when I was three months old.a’  (Emphasis added.)

Well, Law Professor William Jacobson, referencing the times the President attempted to use his youth to excuse the behavior of a terrorist associate, helped me find the words to express why Obama’s response to Ortega was so off-putting:

There is something truly bizarre about this reasoning. If something happened when Obama was not of a certain age (we know it is at least eight years old, although we don’t know where the line is drawn) then he accepts no responsibility. That is fine if one is talking about personal responsibility only. Obama is no more responsible on a personal level for what others did, be it yesterday or 30 years ago, than anyone else.

But Obama no longer is “anyone else.” Obama is the President and bears the burden of dealing with accusations and attacks on this country related to events which did not take place on his watch.

Exactly.  Obama is no longer “anyone else.”  He speaks for the nation, for all of us.  Not just himself.

1. Something struck me as incredibly self-serving, narcissistic even…

That’s been my take on Obama all along. He’s the happy little kid who ‘successfully’ combines his lame excuses with charm and who, accordingly, seriously does think the world revolves around him, he can do or say what he wants, etc. The world has given him reason to think it… so far.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 19, 2009 @ 1:25 pm - April 19, 2009

2. I love how your term of Anti-American actually translates with most Americans as actually repairing the damage across the world that was created when Bush was President. Rather than working as the world leader we should be, Bush and Co. spent 8 years saying “screw you” to the rest of the world. The support the US had from most of the world after 9/11 was unbelievably astounding and it took Bush about a year to wipe it away, pissing off everyone in the western world with his idiotic, fake Texan cowboy diplomacy. If you traveled internationally during that time (as I did) you would meet people from all kind of countries who spoke of how much they still loved America, yet were only saddened by the fact that Bush was president.

The comments Obama are making are not about America in general; they’re to assure the world that the American government they are now dealing with is a different government than they’ve dealt with in the last 8 years. I have no doubt that while Obama was genial with people like that demagogue Chavez, The President will continue to support America’s interests first.

Comment by Kevin — April 19, 2009 @ 1:57 pm - April 19, 2009

3. #2: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

Comment by Sean A — April 19, 2009 @ 2:07 pm - April 19, 2009

4. I love how your term of Anti-American actually translates with most Americans as actually repairing the damage across the world that was created when Bush was President.

Yes, it was so incredibly damaging that we actually put a stop to a genocidal maniac like Saddam Hussein not just starving, imprisoning, torturing, and killing millions of people, but paying billions of dollars in bribes to the United Nations and leftist bureaucrats.

What that shows, Kevin, is that you and your Obama Party think it more important to pander to European leftists than to put a stop to genocidal killers. Is that similar to why your Obama Party supports and endorses terrorist organizations like Hamas that want to kill all Jews — because your fellow leftists support them, and you think a few million Jews are a reasonable price to pay for love from your fellow leftists?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 19, 2009 @ 2:20 pm - April 19, 2009

5. Well, Kevin, as much as I agree with Sean A’s response, the fact is that Bush didn’t say “screw you” as much as he said America would be willing to do what needed to be done, even if the rest of the world was unwilling to do it. It’s always funny how, in the minds of people like Kevin, France and Germany’s dissent in 2003 constitutes a proxy for the rest of the world (even though the voters in those countries have since cast those anti-American governments from power). And frankly, saying “screw you” to the likes of Castro and Chavez is very preferable to acting like they’re great friends and allies as “Jimmah” Obama seems so eager to do.

As far as the point of this post, I find it strange that Obama disclaims responsibility for things that didn’t happen on his watch, except where it serves his own narcissistic impulses to apologize for them.

Comment by Kurt — April 19, 2009 @ 2:20 pm - April 19, 2009

6. Hurray for Obama! That means I’m completely absolved for the sins of slavery, Stonewall, the denial of the vote to women prior to the 19th Amendment, seizure of Indian land(*), Tuskegee experiments, Watergate – you name it!

* My family is Cherokee and Osage so if any of you white liberals feel the need to unburden yourselves of the guilt caused by seizure of our land and the Trail of Tears by giving back your property, just let me know!

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 19, 2009 @ 2:22 pm - April 19, 2009

7. Dang. Filtered again. I give up.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 19, 2009 @ 2:23 pm - April 19, 2009

8. Obama’s reaction to Ortega’s diatribe was “well, it was 50 minutes long.” Hillary completely ignored questions asking for her reaction. Is it really that hard for our head of state to defend the country he represents?
    At least we pulled out of the Durban Review Conference…

Comment by lysol — April 19, 2009 @ 2:52 pm - April 19, 2009

9. Interesting, Kevin, how quickly you turn everything into a tirade against W. I didn’t even mention the former President in this post. It was about how Barack Obama, the President of the United States reacted to a tirade against the national he leads, how he personalized the response.

If the comments were about America in general, why then did he say the he was grateful Obama did not blame him.

Get over your obsession with George W. Bush and address the points in the post to which you attach your comments. Thanks.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — April 19, 2009 @ 2:54 pm - April 19, 2009

10. . . . I am very grateful that President Ortega didn’t blame me for things that happened when I was three months old.”

No, you little piece of sh*t, I’m blaming you for befriending a murderer. I think you were a little older than 3 months when you accepted his invitation to his home.

Comment by Roy Mustang — April 19, 2009 @ 2:54 pm - April 19, 2009

11. #5: “It’s always funny how, in the minds of people like Kevin, France and Germany’s dissent in 2003 constitutes a proxy for the rest of the world (even though the voters in those countries have since cast those anti-American governments from power).”

True. And as we now know, France’s “principled” opposition to the Iraq War was based on the fact that the country’s most powerful and wealthy corporations were going to lose the sweetheart oil deals they were getting from Saddam in violation of UN sanctions. People like Kevin also refuse to acknowledge the fact that 45 OTHER COUNTRIES committed troops to the war effort in Iraq because those FACTS might conflict with their enjoyment at using all of those ignorant bumper-sticker phrases they like so much like, “cowboy diplomacy.”

And all of the propaganda about the US being despised throughout the world is another gigantic steaming load of bs. 14 unemployed delinquents in Paris break a few windows and burn Bush in effigy, and Christiane Amanpour reports it as global condemnation of America. Then at 6 pm, Bubblehead Couric goes on the air and reports to her 17 viewers that America’s reputation abroad is irrevocably decimated and the only thing that can fix it is the smooth, R&B sounds of the soon-to-be-coronated teleprompter-in-chief. It’s nothing but leftist propaganda, filtered through two distorted layers of the liberal media–first in Europe and then here at home. And ignorant sheep like Kevin swallow it whole. And no Kevin, the fact that you chatted it up about how much you hate Bush with a couple of like-minded idiots in Piccadilly Circus doesn’t make it true. Never will.

Comment by Sean A — April 19, 2009 @ 3:07 pm - April 19, 2009

12. Didn’t Obama use this very excuse to deflect his association with William Ayers, a la “How can I be blamed for something that occurred when I was eight years old?”

Comment by Ignatius — April 19, 2009 @ 3:42 pm - April 19, 2009

13. Kevin wrote: I have no doubt that while Obama was genial with people like that demagogue Chavez, The President will continue to support America’s interests first.

I guess poor Kevin has been asleep since Jan 20, then. All Obama has been doing since then are against America’s interests, and in favor of the “global community” instead.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — April 19, 2009 @ 4:20 pm - April 19, 2009

14. You know, Obie sounds just like he’s still about 8 yrs old. You ask a kid if he broke this, that or the other and I can guarantee it was somebody else’s fault.
    He was someplace else at the time it happened, yadda, yadda, yadda ad nauseum.

Comment by Bosslowrider — April 19, 2009 @ 4:34 pm - April 19, 2009

15. If you traveled internationally during that time (as I did) you would meet people from all kind of countries who spoke of how much they still loved America, yet were only saddened by the fact that Bush was president.

I traveled internationally during that time and found nothing of the sort.

Sorry Kevin. Americans roundly rejected the notion of submitting to a “global test”.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 19, 2009 @ 5:29 pm - April 19, 2009

16. Obama has taken his endless campaign on a world tour. He has yet to become President and accept his place as the temporary steward of the executive branch. That is the trouble with any flash in the pan politician who is overcome with arrogance.

I am beginning to doubt that he will ever accept his ultimate responsibility to maintain and protect the office of the President. It will be interesting to see his cult of personality play out in the United States. The European leadership is already mocking Obama’s self conceit.

Comment by heliotrope — April 19, 2009 @ 6:03 pm - April 19, 2009

17. No matter what the issue, Obama says: I didn’t do it. Not me brother. It seems he is being awfully casual about being an empty suit, now and forever.

Comment by Gracie — April 19, 2009 @ 7:10 pm - April 19, 2009

18. Obama’s giving Chavez a marxist thug supporting terrorists FARC and terror supporting countries like Iran is on the same disgusting level as his bow to King Abdullah. Shameful. His sitting through this diatribe by commie Ortega (check your comment GayPatriot, I think you meant Ortega rather than Obama) with no defense other than a personal defense is likewise disgraceful. Even on substance Obama’s response was disgusting. The only thing wrong with the Bay of Pigs’ fiasco was that it was unsuccessful and was aborted thereby leaving Cuba in the grips of a murderous socialist criminal junta for the past fifty years. It is sad that Obama can’t see that part of the equation.

Comment by eaglewingz08 — April 19, 2009 @ 8:56 pm - April 19, 2009

19. “I am very grateful that President Ortega didn’t blame me for things that happened when I was three months old.”

And we are very grateful if he doesn’t blame white Americans for things that happened when they and their grandparents weren’t even born yet or haven’t immigrated to the US yet and attempts to redistribute their wealth.

Or is that line of defense reserved for liberals only?

Comment by Wallace — April 19, 2009 @ 9:16 pm - April 19, 2009

20. I was 6 years old when the Bay of Pigs fiasco happened. I was too young to remember the incident. However, I was old enough to remember the day when JFK was assassinated.

JFK was a Democrat president. He was young yet he knew how to react to an international incident and without the dithering that has been witnessed ever since the Carter presidency.

If you want to know how a national from another country (one who has relatives in the USA) feels then ask away.

I come to this blog because I see a lot of common sense, and good realistic reasoning.

I worry about Obama because of his lack of executive experience. I worry because he is supposed to be intelligent yet he is screwing up all over the place. I have already given him an F for his handling of the economy. I never did that for Clinton, even though I did not like him because he was a womaniser and not one to be trusted.

Comment by Aussie — April 20, 2009 @ 4:02 am - April 20, 2009

21. I don´t think Obama gets it. Ortega is a stooge for Chavez. He was doing Chavez´s dirty work. Obama seems to have forgotten or never heard that Chavez had said Obama has the same stench as Bush. Ortega got himself elected by campaigninga as a ¨new¨ Sandinista, pro business, etc. After being elected he even telephoned President Bush and wanted to meet with him and vowed to have Nicaragua participate in the Central American Free Trade Agreement with the U.S. After a month he showed his true colors, visited Cuba, and Iran, pledging solidarity. He, like Chavez and Morales, wants to have a change in the constitution to seek reelection. After this Past November´s elections which were rift with fraud, the editor of El Nuevo Diario wrote that Ortega is not a communist but a dictator. According to the AP most of the Latin American president wanted to have a picture taken with Obama. I can just hear them saying, ¨vamos tomar una foto con éste pendejo del norte.¨ (let´s take a photo with this fool from the north,)
    He was all smiles and joked with Chavez.

Comment by Roberto — April 20, 2009 @ 2:14 pm - April 20, 2009

22. He was young yet he knew how to react to an international incident and without the dithering that has been witnessed ever since the Carter presidency.

The thing folks don’t seem to know or care to remember is that JFK started out by treating Kruschev like Chairman Obama wants to treat Ahmadhinijad and got royally spanked for his thanks.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 21, 2009 @ 6:24 am - April 21, 2009

23. […] Festivus Summit of the Americas coming up at Real Clear World, but in the meantime, I’m glad Gay Patriot West and William Jacobson noticed something a friend and I were talking about yesterday: Bloomberg news […]

Pingback by Fausta’s Blog » Blog Archive » The “not MY fault” angle — May 15, 2009 @ 5:24 pm - May 15, 2009