How Perez Hilton’s Name-calling Hurts Gay Marriage Debate

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 10:25 am - April 28, 2009.
Filed under: Civil Discourse,Gay Marriage,Pop Culture

When Pajamas asked me to write on the Perez Hilton-Carrie Prejean kerfuffle, I thought to put his name-calling in a larger context.  After all, that blogger was not the first to slime someone who supported the traditional definition of marriage.

To whet your appetite, here are the first three paragraphs:

Had I known gay marriage advocates would react with vitriol and venom to the passage of California’s Proposition 8 (amending the state constitution to limit the definition of marriage to its traditional meaning, one man and one woman), I might have left my ballot blank on that issue and not voted, “No,” as I had.  No sooner did it become clear the a majority of voters in the Golden State approved the initiative than angry activists, mostly in Los Angeles, took to the streets to protest the popular result.

More than just blowing off the steam, their understandable frustration at the loss, the protesters vilified those on the winning side of the issue.  They demonized Mormons, marching from West Hollywood to their Temple in Westwood, carrying placards slandering the Church and hurling slogans demeaning its members, labeling them “scum” and calling them “vile.”  All because Mormons were among the most generous supporters of the campaign to pass Prop 8.

Bill Rosendall, an openly gay LA City Councilman, called the faith a “perversion of Christianity.”  The name-calling didn’t stop there.  The disappointed opponents of Proposition 8 referred to the successful initiatives as “Prop H8” or Prop Hate.

To read the rest of the piece, just head on over Pajamas.

1. This a wonderful essay. The comments are also worthwhile reading. I wonder where the movement would be if the gay protesters had tried the Martin Luther King route. But then, too many gays are so anti religion that they are genuinely confused about who and what they want to attack first. What do you suppose the ratio is between society adjusted gays and society angry gays?

Comment by heliotrope — April 28, 2009 @ 11:29 am - April 28, 2009

2. To be fair, angry activists were calling anyone who didn’t robotically lockstep with their position all those names long before Prop 8 was ever proposed.

Comment by Tully — April 28, 2009 @ 11:29 am - April 28, 2009

3. Could you people be any more thin-skinned? Gee, people are pissed off. They have every right to be. Not being allowed to do something that you want to do, and that everyone else is allowed to do, that is entirely harmless and actually immensely productive for individuals and for society, all because a glorified cult is good at tricking people into believing it would magically un-do laws against child marriage and animal sex, is absolutely infuriating.

If you don’t want to get hit by a bus, don’t stand in the highway during rush hour. If you don’t want to get screamed at by a bunch of angry gay people, don’t stand in the way of their equality. And if you must do that, because your archaic religious text or your rapidly evaporating political party demands it of you, the least you could do is not piss and moan like whiny toddlers when they react.

That said, Perez Hilton is an insufferable deuchebag that picked probably the least opportune time to bring this up, so don’t think I’m defending him, what he did, or his blatantly insincere, headlines-grabbing anger. I’m talking about the people that don’t run gossip blogs, the people that are genuinely angry and for very good reasons.

Comment by Levi — April 28, 2009 @ 11:47 am - April 28, 2009

4. #3 – “Could you people be any more thin-skinned?”

Pot, meet kettle.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 28, 2009 @ 11:53 am - April 28, 2009

5. Anger does not help win over the cause it only creates more resistance. If you are angry, then the other side deserves to be angry as well, hence you are the one standing in the freeway waiting for that bus.

Besides, you aren’t asking for equal rights, you want special rights. You are allowed to marry you just choose not to.

Comment by EDinTampa — April 28, 2009 @ 11:59 am - April 28, 2009

6. If you don’t want to get screamed at by a bunch of angry gay people, don’t stand in the way of their equality

Another question, why do ‘gay’ rights trump all? Why should angry gays be respected in every situation – but other angry citizens, like say those who are fed up with massive taxes – are simply right wing rubes to be ignored.

Levi, it may make you feel good that you are such an unfortunate victim and therefore entitled to whatever you want. But grow up, your and Perez Hilton’s hissy fits are damaging your cause.
    You may be feeling good about yourself while you harm many other honorable gays who actually are willing to do the work of convincing people rationally.

Comment by Leah — April 28, 2009 @ 12:28 pm - April 28, 2009

7. Why is Paris Hilton calling people names?

Oh, it’s Perez?

Who’s that??????????

Comment by Sonicfrog — April 28, 2009 @ 12:39 pm - April 28, 2009

8. Anger does not help win over the cause it only creates more resistance. If you are angry, then the other side deserves to be angry as well, hence you are the one standing in the freeway waiting for that bus.

Are you 8?

That’s an absurd characterization of the problem. Gays deserve the right to be able to marry whom they want to marry, just like straight people are allowed to do.

For your convenience, this is the part where you say, “Some people want to marry donkeys! Should they be allowed to do that?!?

Comment by Levi — April 28, 2009 @ 12:40 pm - April 28, 2009

9. Since when is a FEMALE beauty pageant a forum for standing in the way of angry gays?

Read the rest of my post. I said specifically that a beauty pageant is exactly the wrong type of forum to express that anger. I’m responding to GPW’s efforts to paint the broader gay marriage movement with Perez Hilton’s idiocy, which is about as unfair as it is inaccurate.

Comment by Levi — April 28, 2009 @ 12:44 pm - April 28, 2009

10. I have to agree with Levi on this one. Although she’s entitled to her opinion, I do believe it is a stupid opinion. And I agree that Perez is “douchebag” but I stopped reading his site years ago and get my celebrity fix from TMZ.

That said, I think we need to separate the Mormons and other cult movements (like the one I was raised in) from the rest of the Christian religions. To put it in a way that people here would understand: Cults like the Mormons are the Facists of the religious world. They want to control who you associate with (even in your own family), what you think, how you dress, what you eat, what medical treatment you seek, how you make and spend your money etc etc. They are dangerous and should NEVER be respected as a real religion. To accept them as a real religion turns us into feel-good bleeding heart libs.

Comment by OutliciousTV — April 28, 2009 @ 12:49 pm - April 28, 2009

11. Eerrr my “enlightenment” got lost in the spam filter. 🙁

Comment by OutliciousTV — April 28, 2009 @ 12:51 pm - April 28, 2009

12. The damage, as I see it, is you have a questionable person of questionable talent ripping into an attractive young lady over a disagreement in her beliefs with him. Furthermore, he admits that he scored her not on the quality or the veriacity of the answer, but because it offended him. This makes for good news copy and clips for ads for the pro-traditional marriage side. Unfortunately it also screws people who want to promote ‘fred’ as this can be pointed to as ‘does this group really deserve government recognition’?

Levi’s hatred of religion just amplifies that fact.

Comment by The Livewire — April 28, 2009 @ 1:03 pm - April 28, 2009

13. “I’m responding to GPW’s efforts to paint the broader gay marriage movement with Perez Hilton’s idiocy, which is about as unfair as it is inaccurate.”

I think you’re missing the point while simultaneously making GPW’s. Perez Hilton’s idiocy, whether you like it or not, is symbolic to many on the right who see him as mainstream. Whether or not he is mainstream is moot. It is stupidity and thoughtlessness like Hilton’s that allows gay marriage opponents to paint with such a broad stroke, ultimately undermining a good argument for gay marriage and scaring sympathizers off.

Comment by Elle — April 28, 2009 @ 1:07 pm - April 28, 2009

14. Pretty much. You’d think after going about 1 for 30 in the legislative battles, folks would catch on that angry activism is not the most productive of strategies.

Comment by Tully — April 28, 2009 @ 1:07 pm - April 28, 2009

15. Pretty much. You’d think after going about 1 for 30 in the legislative battles, folks would catch on that angry activism is not the most productive of strategies.

Comment by Levi — April 28, 2009 @ 1:18 pm - April 28, 2009

16. all because a glorified cult is good at tricking people into believing it would magically un-do laws against child marriage and animal sex, is absolutely infuriating….

Geez, what a hate-filled bigot. So much for the lie that gays are tolerant. What was the excuse for all the blacks and/or democrats who opposed it? The Hispanics? Or do they get a pass? Does your H8 only extend to white religious people?

That said, Perez Hilton is an insufferable deuchebag

As long as you let her, she’s your spokesperson. What’s more, as long as you pop off with your hatred of religion, nobody’s going to believe you.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 28, 2009 @ 1:21 pm - April 28, 2009

17. Levi, you are the one that said you were angry, it doesn’t help your cause. You & Perez are very much alike in your anger and deserve no respect from a civil society.

I will pray for you.

Comment by EDinTampa — April 28, 2009 @ 1:25 pm - April 28, 2009

18. I don’t undrestand why a fa, er, um I mean, a gay man was put on the panel as a judge of female beauty. Shouldn’t he be judging gay people’s beauty, if any?

Comment by Charlie — April 28, 2009 @ 1:34 pm - April 28, 2009

19. Ed,

Levi doesn’t deserve respect, I’ll agree. Pity however, he’s earned.

Comment by The Livewire — April 28, 2009 @ 1:39 pm - April 28, 2009

20. Geez, what a hate-filled bigot.

And a rather bitter sounding one as well. For someone who claims to believe everything is breaking his way… socialism and the end of moral values as we know it … Farva comes across as a bitter, angry old queen.

Comment by V the K — April 28, 2009 @ 1:58 pm - April 28, 2009

21. So, in your view of human social interaction, it’s appropriate to respond to anger with more anger? It doesn’t matter if the original anger is justified, you just get to be angry because the other side is?

Oh, I see. If you are a rabid, foaming at the mouth gay going ballistic over being told “no,” you are justified in being angry and acting like spoiled brats.

If you are a Mormon pouring money into the campaign to deny gay marriage, you are a part of a glorified cult good at tricking people. Ergo, you must submit to gays smashing, bashing, cursing and trashing you.

It is all so logical. I am beginning to believe that Levi thinks like a liberal.

Comment by heliotrope — April 28, 2009 @ 2:03 pm - April 28, 2009

22. OK–please pay attention–everything you are saying about Perez Hilton being harmful to the cause is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying for months on this blog about Stonewall. Stonewall was the Perez Hilton of the gay movement–it wasn’t a moment of freedom, it was the moment when the world started to get really annoyed with a bunch of amoral, whiny victims. Stonewall and Perez Hilton are the same kind of mistakes. Let’s admit our mistakes and find a new way to do things.

Comment by Ashpenaz — April 28, 2009 @ 2:42 pm - April 28, 2009

23. Calling Mormonism a religion is just plain wrong. It is a cult that is an insult to Christianity. I was raised in a similar cult and part of my transformation to libertarianism made me go from tolerating these cults based on diversity of faith to outright vile hatred of these groups.

To put it in a way that people here will understand: These cults are like left wing facist governments. They control who you associate with (even in your own family), what you do for work, how you spend your money, what type of education you should get, what type of medical treatment you should have etc etc etc. The type of control these groups have over people should be an automatic repellent for any conservative.

Comment by OutliciousTV — April 28, 2009 @ 3:07 pm - April 28, 2009

24. spam filter again.. i’m giving up (it’s funny how these comments somehow make it through)

Comment by OutliciousTV — April 28, 2009 @ 3:09 pm - April 28, 2009

25. yeah, I got spamified too.

Comment by Sonicfrog — April 28, 2009 @ 4:03 pm - April 28, 2009

26. Well, it’s a good thing public opinion isn’t totally static. The trend favors gay marriage, and there isn’t a doubt in my mind that we’ll see gay marriage in all 50 states in my lifetime. Whatever they’re doing, it’s working, but please, do continue to believe that it isn’t. I much prefer arguing against nonsense in denial than just regular old nonsense.

Comment by Levi — April 28, 2009 @ 1:18 pm – April 28, 2009

Funny… you sure don’t sound like a person who’s winning…

Comment by DoDoGuRu — April 28, 2009 @ 4:51 pm - April 28, 2009

27. Not that I’m a big fan of Perez Hilton, but how many GOP incumbents are you guys going to be supporting that endorse Gay Marriage? How many are you going to be supporting that oppose Gay Marriage?

[Tom, do you ever want to address the points of the posts to which you attach your questions or, are you so obsessed with Republicans, that you have to find a way of trying to bait us? So, to my readers, please ignore Tom’s questions until he addresses my points since he did choose to post on my blog and to this post. thanks, Dan]

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — April 28, 2009 @ 9:24 pm - April 28, 2009

28. yawn. and I’ll bet you thought Rosa Parks should have got her ass off that seat and moved back to her rightful seat in the back, eh? Discrimination and bigotry are what you’re advocating; thus any kind of response, short of violence, is appropriate.

[Please give an example of the bigotry we’re supporting and how it relates to the post to which you attach you comment. Thanks, Dan]

Comment by buckeyenutlover — April 28, 2009 @ 9:39 pm - April 28, 2009

29. but how many GOP incumbents are you guys going to be supporting that endorse Gay Marriage? How many are you going to be supporting that oppose Gay Marriage?

How many liberal incumbents are you guys going to be supporting that endorse Gay Marriage? How many are you going to be supporting that oppose Gay Marriage?

Obama opposes it.
    Hillary opposes it.
    Kerry opposes it.
    Algore opposes it (and ran around with Rev. Phelps to boot).

Which liberals are you supporting that support gay marriage and since when did you truly give a damn whether they do or not.

Discrimination and bigotry are what you’re advocating;

Ummm…..I think it was you who just advocated discrimination and bigotry.

thus any kind of response, short of violence, is appropriate.

Evidently, that includes arson, sending white powdery substances through the mail and standing in the street screaming “NIGGER!” at the top of your lungs.

Nah. Gay liberals couldn’t possibly be accused of discrimination and bigotry.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 29, 2009 @ 1:44 am - April 29, 2009

30. Levi, if you understood what a right is, you’d realize gays already have the right to marry. It’s the privilege of state recognition we lack in most states. So, please learn the meaning of the words you use.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — April 29, 2009 @ 4:55 am - April 29, 2009

31. My daughter’s best friend is a gay man. They work in the same company together, a company that is struggling like most these days.

I was shocked that he stated while discussing the possibility of losing their jobs “IF THEY TRY TO FIRE ME OR LAY ME OFF, I’M GONNA PULL THE ‘GAY CARD’ – I DON’T CARE.”

Way to go to endear gays to employers! This is the same as pulling a false racism card, a false sexual harassement card, a false rape claim etc…

All of these false claims do nothing to help minority group people gain or keep a foothold in business or society. Fear of false opportunistic claims only SCARE employers and others in society away – and rightly so.

On TV shows and in the MSM, I see gays portrayed as upstanding, sober and responsible citizens. But in my day to day life, I get to see our local annual Gay Pride day with half-naked men performing vulgar displays of private behaviors, vulgar signs and a man thinking it is okay to pull ‘the gay card’. Guess which portrayal is ‘real’ to me?

zombietime.com was certainly a ‘heave-inducing’ eye opener for me.

Comment by ShyAsrai — April 29, 2009 @ 5:24 am - April 29, 2009

32. Outlicious,

I don’t see how insulting Mormons helps the issue, if anything it bolsters Dan’s point.

Comment by The Livewire — April 29, 2009 @ 10:05 am - April 29, 2009

33. I think that you need more straight opinions here :). First of all, I back the comment by Leah. Lady you are very sound in your opinions, and obviously very comfortable with yourself and I think that is just great.

Now, let me address the attack on Miss California and why it was not appropriate. First of all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In this case, the young woman did not say anything that was “hate speech”, yet the mere fact that she stated what she firmly believes as a Christian woman brought down bucket loads of ….. down upon her head. The man who dished out that ….. is someone who does not deserve respect at all, and he is a turnoff to straight people.

Second, the kind of antics that I am reading about here are more likely to result in intransigence amongst those who oppose “gay marriage” than see them change their minds.

Third, considering that a lot of straight couples never tie the knot, I do not understand why this issue has become so important. Heterosexual couples who live together without the piece of paper are covered by what is known as a common law marriage. It is something that needs to be tested in the court room because it is “common law”. It comes under the subject of a contract – that is offer and acceptance. In other words the ceremony is not necessary and you should be able to make a will etc without the ceremony.

This begs the question about the real purpose behind the gay marriage push. Is it really necessary in the first place? I do not believe that it makes a gay couple second class citizens as claimed in the rant by Hilton to not have a ceremony to cement a relationship. Besides we no longer live in a time where illegitimate children are not entitled to a portion of an estate. I suspect that the push for gay marriage has another agenda, and that agenda is aimed directly at Christians, Jews and others who oppose “gay marriage”.

It is the Perez Hilton kind of rant that turns us straights right off as far as the gay community is concerned. However, it is the posters here who actually allow me to keep a more even viewpoint (except for ranters like Levi of course).

Comment by Aussie — April 30, 2009 @ 4:57 am - April 30, 2009

34. […] first for thinking that they are funny, and second, for thinking that they can in any way help the cause.  As Professor Reynolds points out, “you probably can name Ms. Prejean, but can you name […]

Pingback by I’m really not out looking for this today, but « Lyssa, Lovely Redhead’s Rather Important Thoughts — May 3, 2009 @ 12:12 am - May 3, 2009