GOProud Lauds Bi-Partisan Domestic Partner Benefits Legislation

Hot off the wire:

GOProud Applauds Introduction of the Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Bill
Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) lead co-sponsor in the Senate
and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) lead co-sponsor in the House.

(Washington, D.C.) – Today, the bipartisan Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations (DPBO) bill will be introduced in both the House and Senate. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) is the lead co-sponsor in the Senate and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) is the lead co-sponsor in the House.

“GOProud applauds the bipartisan, bicameral introduction of the DPBO bill,” said Jimmy LaSalvia, Executive Director of GOProud. “GOProud strongly supports this common sense legislation.”

Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) join Collins and Ros-Lehtinen as original co-sponsors.

“Passage of the DPBO bill would make retirement benefits, healthcare benefits and life insurance benefits available to domestic partners,” continued LaSalvia.

“As conservatives, we believe that the federal government should take its cues from the successful practices of private enterprise. With more than half of Fortune 500 companies offer domestic partner benefits, it is clear that the time has come for the federal government to do the same.”

“GOProud looks forward to building conservative support for the passage of this legislation,” said LaSalvia.

Major kudos to Senator Collins and Rep. Ros-Lehtinen — she is one of my favorite Members of the US House, I might add.

I’m just sayin’.

There is a LOT more to come.  Thanks to Jimmy & Chris, GOProud is on Capitol Hill talking with leading GOP lawmakers on a regular basis.  It is a great time.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Bruce – can you guys make sure that your press releases are linkable on the main web site? Makes getting the word out difficult when there is nothing to link to but the home page.

Comment by Robert — May 20, 2009 @ 3:33 pm - May 20, 2009

2. I’m chasing around my office the feather that knocked me over, having read praise for Susan Collins.

Comment by Ignatius — May 20, 2009 @ 3:42 pm - May 20, 2009

3. And I would also note that it seems to me (and I am certainly biased as the Treasurer) that GOProud is doing a lot more to advance gay conservative causes in the past few weeks than Log Cabin Republicans did for the past few years.
    Three questions:
    1) What did GOProud do for/with/about this legislation, besides this press release? Honest question, no snark.
    2) How is this a gay “conservative” cause? Isn’t this a gay cause that doesn’t serve only the red gays? Wouldn’t this legislation advance the interests of all GLBT Americans? Or was your comment completely unrelated to the legislation mentioned the first part of the post?
    3) Will GOProud be working with HRC to gain passage of this bill? HRC gave testimony on the issue and also issued similar press releases when this bill was introduced last Congress (this isn’t a new bill, BTW), so I was wondering if HRC and GOProud would be working together.

Comment by torrentprime — May 20, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - May 20, 2009

4. tp – based on the disdain you have shown over the years, I have no interest in answering your questions.

Comment by GayPatriot — May 20, 2009 @ 5:46 pm - May 20, 2009

5. Knock me over with a feather also, because Iggy actually read, understood and responded to a post of Bruce’s rather than labeling it “jingoism”, “anti-conservative” or something equally stupid. ;-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 20, 2009 @ 6:08 pm - May 20, 2009

6. I’m glad that GOProud! has decided to support Susan Collins and Illeana R-L. Both very “Log Cabin” type Republicans (e.g., liberal/moderate Republicans)

That being said, I’d like to see GOProud!’s action plan in support of this bill towards its target audience of Conservative Congressmen and Senators.

Comment by Tom in Lazybrook — May 20, 2009 @ 7:43 pm - May 20, 2009

7. @4 Your lack of answers is more or less what I expected. Well, that’s not true. It’s exactly what I expected.
    Well, I am sure HRC (you know, the leftist gay Borg organization that worked with the last Congress on this bill) will be happy to have a conservative group to assist them with their efforts in lobbying. Of course, what with the new Republican chief counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee comparing us to pedophiles, just as the House GOP did a few weeks ago, I don’t know how many Republicans will listen, but I am ever hopeful, as I assume GOProud is and you are.

Comment by torrentprime — May 20, 2009 @ 7:53 pm - May 20, 2009

8. The reason you get compared to pedophiles, torrentprime, is because, what with the gay community’s support of teaching gay sex to five-year-olds, its need to dress toddlers as sex slaves and take them to sex fairs to show off, and its insistence that age-of-consent laws are homophobic, it certainly acts like one.

Of course, instead of going after them, you’re too busy going on TV and screaming how religious people who don’t support gay marriage are “stupid bitches” and “cunts”. Your priorities are quite clear to the rest of the normal public, and quite frankly, you and yours are treated and called much better than you deserve.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 20, 2009 @ 10:32 pm - May 20, 2009

9. Um, can we at least get a link to the bill? and the press release?

Comment by Rocket — May 21, 2009 @ 12:09 am - May 21, 2009

10. Of course, what with the new Republican chief counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee comparing us to pedophiles,

Sweet Jesus, you’re gullible! That or you’re completely dishonest. Which is it???

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 21, 2009 @ 2:52 am - May 21, 2009

11. Bruce, congrats on putting some teeth into the GOProud efforts! I understand why you might be disinclined to respond to torrentpine’s taunts and baiting… kind of reminds me of ILC’s comment at #5 to Ignatius’ comments at #2.

What is it about these guys who go looking for fights and need to endlessly taunt and badger?

Good going on your response. I think it fit both of them, frankly, and I hope they both learn the lesson just once.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — May 21, 2009 @ 9:33 am - May 21, 2009

12. MM, welcome back! Personally I missed your childish ‘campaigning’ against me, but you might want to be careful and recall when Bruce asked you to keep it offline.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 21, 2009 @ 9:57 am - May 21, 2009

13. Hey, Matt — friendship is when your questions become rhetorical. Props to you.

Comment by Ignatius — May 21, 2009 @ 10:05 am - May 21, 2009

14. And Iggy, my props to you again. ;-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 21, 2009 @ 10:10 am - May 21, 2009

15. I’ll be interested to see how this goes, myself.

Comment by The Livewire — May 21, 2009 @ 10:27 am - May 21, 2009

16. It is troubling that those who claim to be “fiscal conservatives” and part of the “Leave Us Alone” movement would prominently endorse a bill such as this. This reiterates the point that, of those who claim to be conservative on small-government issues (just not on social issues), many of them are neither.

The bottom line is, that libertarians already concur with social conservatives, on most issues. The agenda of groups and leaders such as Senator Susan Collins (R.I.N.O.-ME) and Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), and other Republican advocates of specialized state-sponsored measures such as this is inherently hypocritical.

While I don’t agree with all of the points in this article, the late, great Dr. Murray Rothbard provided a perspective on this.

I have seen a great deal of criticism (most of it very-valid) of Obama from the “conservative” Blogosphere… But why is there not more criticism over him for his support of proposals like this DPBO bill?

I remember, a few years ago, when my state’s university system decided to grant benefits to same-gender couples who were living together, that caused a great deal of controversy. It is troubling that a proposal that not long ago was considered an extreme move now has this much support.*** This bill seeks to repeal provisions of the Defense of Marriage Act, which passed by lopsided margins in both the U.S. House and U.S. Senate, and which even President Bill Clinton signed into law.

Even if someone supports homosexuality, or if someone is not a social conservative, the remaining conservative principles should result in opposition to this bill. “Leave us alone” should truly mean that the federal government leaves people alone!

*** I was quite heartened, however, when looking at the list of 70+ co-sponsors in the U.S. House, and seeing that it is almost-exclusively liberal Democrats!

(Barney Frank reportedly stated that supporters “have a shot” at passing this bill. Let’s hope and pray that their shot does not succeed.)

Also heartening was that the state of Arizona, which already provides these benefits, is poised to scale back this spending. Like many states, they are facing a budget crisis.

With the current fiscal situation, which so many state governments – and our federal government!! – are mired in, it is irresponsible to push for additional government spending and service programs. We should be looking to cut back as much spending (especially at the federal level) as is reasonably possible.

Unlike the positions taken by HRC and DailyKos and Rachel Maddow and the Seattle Times and Barack Obama, this is a principle upon which all of us who are actual conservatives should be able to agree.

Comment by Aakash — June 20, 2009 @ 5:50 pm - June 20, 2009