Decision Day Rally in West Hollywood – Preliminary Report

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 4:00 am - May 27, 2009.
Filed under: California politics,Gay Marriage,LA Stories

In my post yesterday on the California Supreme Court upholding Proposition 8, I wrote that the reaction of the activists to the ruling could well determine if voters overturn the ban when a initiative to do so is placed on the Golden State ballot.

To see just how some were reacting, I decided to trek down to the Decision Day Rally in central West Hollywood last night.  I was actually impressed with the gathering.  There was a large crowd.  It seemed to be about the size of the Van Nuys Tea Party when I arrived (about 3,000), then grew, maybe to twice that, perhaps even more.  I was in the middle of it so couldn’t really tell.

And while there were a few angry T-shirts and a number of nasty signs, I didn’t get the same vibe as I did last November when I witnessed a march protesting the passage of Prop. 8.  It seemed there was more anger on the podium than there was in the crowd.

Like the Santa Monica Tea Party, it had more of a festive than protest atmosphere.  This is not to say there wasn’t any anger there, but that people by and large kept it under control, save for a few of the speakers, two in particular.

img_0741

I took some pictures of the crazy signs, but am hesitant to publish them because they were not the defining feature of this rally (so I may just post them later, then bump this post so it leads the blog).

Running into my friend Kerry, the aforementioned lesbian for liberty (I wonder if we were the only people here who had also attended a Tea Party) I ended up joining the march, something I had not anticipated doing.  As she and I talked, my observations coalesced into a kind of conclusion which found expression in this maxim,”First, do no harm.”

I don’t think the rally today will do anything to harm the movement to change minds and overturn Proposition 8.  There was, to be sure, some overheated rhetoric (more on that in a subsequent post, which may end up as a “previous” post if I bump this one).  While the rally will not do any harm, I’m not sure it will do any good either.

Only one speaker really made a strong case on why gay marriage is a good thing (and then only briefly).  The others dwelled on rights and some on accusations.

On the whole, I have to give credit to the organizers.  Despite some problems with the sound system, the event was very smoothly run.  It allowed people to vent in a manner that was at least, not counterproductive.  And they had the good sense to have the marchers turn east on Santa Monica Boulevard–away from the Mormon Temple.

This rally wouldn’t be about demonizing Mormons, but instead expressing their upset about the court decision.  And that seemed a better –and more productive–way to address and express their frustration at today’s decision.

One guy did have a sign taking a swipe at Mormons, but I thought it was kind of clever.  I mean, when one speaker was insisting we had the “right” to get married, I was saying, well that means I have the right to find a husband, so where is he.  This sign kind of echoed that sentiment:

img_0774

I kept trying to get his face in the shot (because it was a nice one), but it was night and I was not adept enough with the flash to get both the face and the sign.

1. [...] Decision Day Rally in West Hollywood – Preliminary Report [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Decision Day Rally in West Hollywood–The SpeakersOnce Again A “Diverse” Roster Includes No Republicans — May 27, 2009 @ 3:27 am - May 27, 2009

2. just a quick comment on the Mormon smearing sign. The person is not telling the truth here. Mormons do not get to have 2 wives. It is illegal to have more than one wife. That is called Bigamy – the law has not been changed to accommodate the Mormons (neither in your country or my country). It is the same with Muslims. The laws of our respective countries have not been changed just because it is allowed in Sharia law.

Comment by thestraightaussie — May 27, 2009 @ 5:28 am - May 27, 2009

3. #2: “the law has not been changed to accommodate the Mormons (neither in your country or my country). It is the same with Muslims. The laws of our respective countries have not been changed just because it is allowed in Sharia law.”

You’re right, the straightaussie. The laws have not been changed in the US to accommodate polygamy among Mormons AND NEVER WILL. The Left in the US is committed to constricting the rights of Mormons, Christians, and Catholics. However, polygamy practiced by Muslims is permitted with regard to welfare benefits in the UK and Canada, and its only a matter of time before the US follows suit in response to pressure from the disingenuous, grievance-mongering Muslim lobby.

Comment by Sean A — May 27, 2009 @ 10:27 am - May 27, 2009

4. And we should also remember that the gay-sex marriage movement fully supports and endorses, quote, “relationships with more than one conjugal partner”, and that bans on plural marriage “violate constitutional protections”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 27, 2009 @ 11:04 am - May 27, 2009

5. Glad to hear that it was a more positive event than Nov. People do need to let off steam, now the hard work begins.

I agree with TSA, it’s been over 130 year since Mormons have been practiced polygamy. They went off to the Utah territory so they could escape US law. Once it caught up with them, they repealled it from their own laws.
    Any polygamous cults are just that – not part of the LDS Church at all.
    So that sign is a little disingenuous to say the least. It is unfairly smearing a group for something they renounced long ago.

Comment by Leah — May 27, 2009 @ 11:05 am - May 27, 2009

6. But renounced for what reason? Polygamy was renounced only in order for Utah to join the union. It’s a fraudulent religion just like Scientology, the Unification Church, the Falun Gong and the numerous on-going cults. Why is it wrong to stand against them for being staunchly antigay?

Comment by Rob — May 27, 2009 @ 8:10 pm - May 27, 2009

7. #4: I have no idea what the “gay-sex marriage movement” is, but beyondmarriage.org does not represent the views of those supporting same-sex marriage. A few individuals might support both causes, but that is to be expected – the two movements are not mutually exclusive. But to say that the two groups are synonymous is not true.

A little like saying that the fiscal conservative movement fully supports and endorses sodomy laws

Comment by Bart M — May 27, 2009 @ 10:30 pm - May 27, 2009

8. But renounced for what reason? Polygamy was renounced only in order for Utah to join the union.

Say, what’s the official U.S. standard that measures whether a religion is “fraudulent” or not?

How about the Quakers? They tended to annoy the Christian colonists in the early days of our country. I’ve read where they would show up at churches and walk naked down the aisle?

What’s your take on the Amish? They’re pretty kooky, eh?

Why is it wrong to stand against them for being staunchly antigay?

Why is it right to harass the Mormons and ignore the blacks? Better yet, why is Bush a homophobe but Chairman Obama isn’t?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 27, 2009 @ 11:15 pm - May 27, 2009

9. Always good of Rob to be here to tell us what is a ‘fraudulent religion’.

Per this poll Mormons made up roughly 2% of respondents.

Since most (Non-Kinsean) surveys put the percentage of people who identify as homosexuals at 2-5%, does this mean by the Rob standard Homosexuality is a ‘fraudulent choice’?

Funny how Rob doesn’t say boo about the Islamic faith. but hey, they might, you know, fight back.

Comment by The Livewire — May 28, 2009 @ 8:38 am - May 28, 2009

10. great… Try this poll.

My HTML-fu is weak today.

Comment by The Livewire — May 28, 2009 @ 8:39 am - May 28, 2009

11. Dan, we had a decision day rally in Michigan, too. On the steps of the Capitol in Lansing. There were about 17 people… it was pretty lame. I was at the Capitol on a business call and I had the chance to pass by the sweeping, ground swell rally of 17.

Pathetic. But predictable. There were no buttless chaps, no booze, no drugs and no dancing… what did they expect?

Comment by Michigan-Matt — May 28, 2009 @ 12:57 pm - May 28, 2009

12. WTF difference does it make? The fact remains that they haven’t allowed it in a long, long time.

The original intentent of the religion makes plenty of difference considering its validity. This isn’t solely limited to Mormons, but to the Southern Baptists as well.

They pretty much all are really. It’s simply that the origin of old religions are more obscured by time, whereas recent ones have clearer evidence against them. Mandatory tithing, the selling of indulgences and of OT levels is a strong indicator of fraud.

What about them? I don’t recall them making any more dogma or false claims in Christianity. In fact most of them ditched a lot of it concerning church tradition.

What’s your take on the Amish? They’re pretty kooky, eh?

They have their good and bad side. That they don’t get involved into politics makes them much more respectable than the Mormon establishment. They give their children the freedom to experience the outside world and let them decide if they want to return back to their communities. What’s bad is that they would shun homosexuals in their families and communities; it can be very traumatic losing the only community you’ve really known simply because of their ignorance.

Comment by Rob — May 29, 2009 @ 1:18 am - May 29, 2009

13. #9

Always good of Rob to be here to tell us what is a ‘fraudulent religion’.

Per this poll Mormons made up roughly 2% of respondents.

A fine counter-argument to a non-existing one. I never made an appeal to popularity argument. 2% or 98% makes no difference that the religion is fradulent. And speaking of low numbers, 2% responded as Mormons, but how much of the prop 8 money came from that 2%?

LMAO You obviously haven’t seen my posts at Independent Gay Forum or Jihad Watch. Islam is as fraudulent yet more dangerous. Just because it’s the greatest evil doesn’t mean we should give a free pass to the smaller fish.

Comment by Rob — May 29, 2009 @ 1:33 am - May 29, 2009

14. Of course Rob…

I forgot, you seem to think that belief in something disqualifies you from participating in the political process.

At least you believe that…

Comment by The Livewire — May 29, 2009 @ 6:35 am - May 29, 2009

15. Islam is as fraudulent yet more dangerous. Just because it’s the greatest evil doesn’t mean we should give a free pass to the smaller fish.

Actually, it does. The liberal left has pushed for tolerance of Islam. They encourage students to read the Koran. Can’t read the Bible or assign it at any level of education, but you can do so with Islam. Not to mention the campi which allows students to take time off and provides prayer rooms, foot baths, prayer rugs etc. for them. Not to mention we provide the Koran to the guests at Club Gitmo and paint arrows pointing the direction to Mecca. Needless to say asshole liberals and the American Criminal Liberals Union would go apeshitspicygonzo if Bibles were given to detainees in American prisons.

Please spare us from your heart which bleeds bullshit, Rob.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 30, 2009 @ 6:27 am - May 30, 2009