Obama Ignores Plight of Gays Living Under Islam

SPECIAL UPDATE from Dan:  I will offer a $25 contribution to the first non-Republican gay organization which criticizes the President for this omission.  If none do so by Monday morning, I will give that to GOProud.

I wish I could say that I picked up on this myself, but I must give full credit to New Zealand blogger Darren who writes at The Fairfacts Media Show and the No Minister blog and who emailed me earlier today.

Why did President Obama completely ignore the persecution and pogroms of gays where Islamic law is the rule of the land?  It is happening in Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, and even Egypt.  (The list goes on and on actually….)

Gays living under strict Islamic law (whether in a nation or a region) are subject to death.  Women(as a group) actually have better lives in the Muslim faith than do gays and lesbians.  Although gay men seem to be particular targets of the horrific state/mosque-sanctioned atrocities.

Has Obama not seen the photos of young gay men being hanged in Iran?

hanged

It is outrageous for President Obama to ignore this issue while he addressed so many others today.  He let a lot of people down today by taking a walk on this serious human rights threat to gays in many Muslim countries and communities.

UPDATE: GOProud becomes first American gay organization to challenge Obama on Islam and gays.

“President Obama’s silence today on the treatment of gays and lesbians in Muslim countries is shameful.  The penalty for simply being gay in Muslim countries like Iran is death.  Even in Egypt, the country where President Obama spoke today, gays have been subject to arrest and imprisonment.

It is intolerable for President Obama to turn a blind eye to the type of human rights abuses occurring at the hands of Islamic extremists throughout the world.  If the United States is to maintain its position of moral leadership in the world, then this administration must make it clear that basic human rights for all should be respected.”

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Bruce, check this out:

Pretty damning, if you ask me. But as we all know, Dhimmicrats ignore their core constituencies (blacks, labor, gays etc) except during an election year.

BOHICA, indeed.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 4, 2009 @ 2:31 pm - June 4, 2009

2. Gay liberals have battered spouse syndrome: They alwaysd vote for an Obama or a Clinton thinking (even saying), “This time it’ll be different.” And it NEVER is. So how come Dick Cheney gets no love for his tolerance and views on gay marriage?

Comment by MJB Wolf — June 4, 2009 @ 2:33 pm - June 4, 2009

3. #2 – “So how come Dick Cheney gets no love for his tolerance and views on gay marriage?”

It’s that pesky (R) after his name. After all, we all know that Republicans are a bunch of heartless old white men who want to keep everyone else down and live off the backs of the proletariat (SARC).

Ugh, I need to quit imitating a liberal. It gets me nauseated every time.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 4, 2009 @ 2:49 pm - June 4, 2009

4. “I am really beginning to wonder why the American gay and lesbian activists were so hot for Obama to begin with.”

Because Obama has a D behind his name and because, frankly, they consider themselves liberals above even their sexuality.

Comment by CattusMagnus — June 4, 2009 @ 2:54 pm - June 4, 2009

5. Why did President Obama completely ignore the persecution and pogroms of gays where Islamic law is the rule of the land?

Easy. There’s no money or votes in it.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 4, 2009 @ 3:11 pm - June 4, 2009

6. [...] — including one that explicitly endorses holy war — is based on the Golden Rule. Gay Patriot, a conservative, wonders why The One had nothing to say about Islamic persecution of gays; Peter [...]

Pingback by Hot Air » Blog Archive » Liz Cheney on Obama’s speech: Unsurprisingly lame — June 4, 2009 @ 3:26 pm - June 4, 2009

7. He isn’t going to communicat the plight of homosexuals to the Islamic world. He’d be a fool if he did. He is well aware of the custom while in an Islamic country and he dare not break it.

He doesn’t need to pander to a bunch of liberal fags right now, next year this time.

Comment by EDinTampa — June 4, 2009 @ 4:11 pm - June 4, 2009

8. Perhaps the answer might lie within his speech, where he points out that both his Father and Grandfather were Muslim. He also pointed out that he had lived in three Muslim countries. Also you might note that he stated that the United States was a Muslim country. (Note: He has also stated that the U.S. was not a Christian county) In the one sheech he mentions the Muslim faith six times, whereas he has mentioned Chrisianity only six times since taking office.

Comment by The Old Man — June 4, 2009 @ 4:19 pm - June 4, 2009

9. He just wants whatever group he is “reading to” to fall in love with him. Hollow Man. I bet they loved his pledge of American dollars. Why aren’t the Saudi Arabians or the other oil rich nations taking care of their “own” people? Last time I checked, Saudi Arabia gave a stunning $50,000 per year to the UN World Food Fund.

The gay people I know are still falling head over heals him. They have given him a pass on everything gay, “The timing isn’t right.” I don’t get it.

Comment by TnnsNE1 — June 4, 2009 @ 4:19 pm - June 4, 2009

10. #8 – Old Man, don’t forget when State-Run Media anchor George Stephanopoulos corrected The Snob during his interview when he referred to his “Muslim faith.” Georgie said, “you mean ‘my Christian faith,’ right?”

The relationship between the DNC and the State-Run Media borders on the incestuous.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 4, 2009 @ 4:49 pm - June 4, 2009

11. [...] The most successful, benevolent, brilliant, and articulate leader in world history gave another of his stemwinder blatherfests godlike orations today, as you all know. He said things that have never been said, with a transcendent eloquence that made the entire world fall at his feet in adoration; the liberal media has hailed it as another of those wonderful turning points where everything has now been changed for the better by the sheer force of the God-Emperors shining rhetoric, the audience wept with gratitude and sheer joy, and humanity has been elevated by the privilege of hearing His holy words. He promised justice at long last for the downtrodden, and had harsh words for the world’s true villains, while calling for freedom and dignity for all. [...]

Pingback by Big yawn | Cold Fury — June 4, 2009 @ 5:31 pm - June 4, 2009

12. He. Does. NOT. Care.

Comment by JP — June 4, 2009 @ 5:59 pm - June 4, 2009

13. I was posting about this subject not long ago on sfgate, the SF Chron website. There were posters who were not even aware of this tragedy.

Comment by Niall — June 4, 2009 @ 6:12 pm - June 4, 2009

14. #2 So how come Dick Cheney gets no love for his tolerance and views on gay marriage?….IMO it is partly because he did not trot his daughter out on the campaign trail to use as a tool to cater to the gay/lesbian electorate.

Comment by Niall — June 4, 2009 @ 6:14 pm - June 4, 2009

15. I am really beginning to wonder why the American gay and lesbian activists were so hot for Obama to begin with.

Oh, come now! Surely the Gay Patriot is not so naive!

CattusMagnus had it right at #4 above: “frankly, they consider themselves liberals above even their sexuality.”

Gay activists would side with the Democrat even if he were Satan.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — June 4, 2009 @ 6:20 pm - June 4, 2009

16. The matter is the Messiah is a coward.
    He’s not only red but yellow too.

Thanks for the mention.
    I have just made my posts over at No Minister and The Fairfacts Media Show

Comment by Fairfacts Media — June 4, 2009 @ 8:16 pm - June 4, 2009

17. [...] GayPatriot [...]

Pingback by Obama’s Speech in Cairo: 6,000 Words and What Some are Already Saying - Updated w/ Even More Stuff Other People Are Saying | All American Blogger — June 4, 2009 @ 8:17 pm - June 4, 2009

18. It’s not so much that they are liberals first, it’s that they are VICTIMS first, and are liberals because liberals enable and reward their sense of victimhood.

Comment by American Elephant — June 4, 2009 @ 10:51 pm - June 4, 2009

19. He left out a lot of history in his “professorial” (according to the SRM) auto-fellatio. He could have made more of a message about women’s rights. He could have mentioned that Palestine has no claim to Israel. He could have mentioned a little bit o’ history of the Grand Mufti al-Husseini. He could have mentioned the millions of Muslims we’ve fed and freed from tyranny over the years.

There was a whole lot of history he could have spoken about. However, he chose to trash America and pander to the ME like a naive buffoon.

And the State Run Media swoons.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 5, 2009 @ 1:43 am - June 5, 2009

20. SPECIAL UPDATE from Dan: I will offer a $25 contribution to the first non-Republican gay organization which criticizes the President for this omission. If none do so by Monday morning, I will give that to GOProud.

Good for you, GPW!

(I have a feeling GOProud is going to get the money.)

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — June 5, 2009 @ 1:50 am - June 5, 2009

21. As you all know, I am a straight and Christian woman. I am also a student of history. First, BHO is no student of history, at least real history because what he stated is the crap of revisionism. Second, you are all aware that I have certain views relating to how the Scripture speaks about homosexuals. Yet I have a few things to say on that subject that will sound a little bit contrary (if you know what I mean – I am not a Fundamentalist and I am not a liberal Christian)

Thinking about the Old Testament, it is written that men and women who sleep together are to be killed. However, that is “The Law”, the old precepts that were wiped away when Jesus Christ came and died upon the Cross, and rose again from the dead. In the New Testament St. Paul mentions these same people who are a part of the congregation in Corinth. They are told to change their ways if they are to be a part of the congregation. Now, what is not stated in the New Testament is that homosexuals are to be killed. This is the point that I want to make regarding where I stand on the subject – and I stand with those who are persecuted in the Middle East.

Islam is not a religion. Mohammed was not a prophet, and he definitely did not have any visions from God. He made all of that up. He took parts of the Torah and portions of Christianity to come up with his “religion”. He was nothing more than a liar, thief, pedophile and murderer. His exploits are written down for all to see.

The treatment of homosexuals in those countries should be abhorred by the human rights activists, yet they remain silent. Well, it is up to all of us who do care, whether we are straight or gay, to write in our blogs or wherever, and get out the message that these people are being tortured and killed because of their sexual orientation. This kind of thing is against the human rights of any person.

Then again, if a woman shows even a bare amount of ankle in somewhere like Afghanistan under the Taliban, she will be whipped or taken to prison where she will endure real torture that is quite unspeakable, and if she is unlucky enough to survive, she might get to tell her story about what took place.

What is more and more apparent is that BHO is repeatedly turning a blind eye to the human rights violations in these countries. He wants to court them because of his belief that they are victims – that is BS – and a whole lot of mushrooms are growing because he is spreading it around at a very fast pace.

Comment by thestraightaussie — June 5, 2009 @ 3:26 am - June 5, 2009

22. So Mohammed was a plaigerist? Sounds like someone Chairman Obama and the HuffPo would admire.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 5, 2009 @ 4:17 am - June 5, 2009

23. TSA,

I don’t have the mail anymore, but actually the Old Testament/Torah is silent on the subject of same sex women pairings.

The general condemnation comes from the Talmud where the people are told not to ‘act as the people of Egypt’. This is interpreted to include woman/woman pairings.

I asked a rabbi about this years ago, and that was his reply. I forwarded it to my mom with the comment “See? As long as you don’t get an Egyptian Girlfriend, you’re fine!”

She didn’t find it as funny as I, neither did my sister who said “That’s not what the Church(tm) teaches!”

I told her given a choice between interpreting the Old Testament from Christians or, “From the folks who have been studying it 5K+ years.” I’d go with the rabbi’s reading. :-)

Comment by The Livewire — June 5, 2009 @ 6:40 am - June 5, 2009

24. Islam is not a religion. Mohammed was not a prophet, and he definitely did not have any visions from God. He made all of that up. He took parts of the Torah and portions of Christianity to come up with his “religion”.

Thestraightaussie, I am far from being a fan of Islam, especially the extremist elements, but the same could be said for just about any religious faith. An outsider looking at Jewish and Christian faiths would be shaking their heads too. But that’s not important, as far as I’m concerned. It’s what the leaders and adherents do now and how they behave that’s more important. And as you stated, there is plenty to criticize and condemn in Islamic countries. The citizenry, especially women and gays are treated like dirt, and have the same rights as a rock. It’s shameful in this day and age.

Believe me, I cannot defend Obama here. Not just on this, but also on the promises he has, at this point, refused to act on. But keep in mind that the treatment of gays by these Moslem countries didn’t start this year. I don’t recall any of Obama’s predecessors saying much about it. When Bush met with Clown, er, King Abdullah I don’t recall him mentioning to him that he and his cohorts in the Middle East need to treat their female and gay citizenry a little nicer.

Further, the Bush Administration did not sign a UN Resolution to decriminalize homosexuality. I give Obama some, but not much, credit for signing it. It’s a non-binding resolution to begin with, but it’s at least a start. Obama could have put a little teeth into this by mentioning it, and speaking out against the treatment of gays in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere.

As for national gay organizations, many only deal with local or national gay issues. But the ones that deal with international issues should be right out there making some kind of statement. And shame on those who haven’t. I applaud GOProud for getting out there and doing just that.

What have these organizations done? Well, they have been supporting the recent legislation of same sex marriage in various states, which is a good thing, as well as countering organizations that oppose same sex marriage. But where have they been on Cheney’s remarks? Or on Obama to stick to his promises on federal civil unions and ending DADT? Anyway, I’m betting that GOProud will have an additional $25 on Monday.

Comment by Pat — June 5, 2009 @ 6:48 am - June 5, 2009

25. Dick Chenney not getting praise for his stance couldn’t possibly have anything to do with him supporting an anti-gay marriage amendment about 4-5 years ago could it? Just asking! As far as the anti-gay hate in Iran, I’m not an Iranian, so I’m not about to tell them how to live their lives or make their laws. It sucks what they are doing, but its not my right to tell them to stop it. America and Americans are not the world police force, they never have been, and they never should be.

Comment by galefan2004 — June 5, 2009 @ 4:38 pm - June 5, 2009

26. Obama invites the Muslim Brotherhood to his speech in Cairo. The Muslim Brotherhood murders gay people and advocates their genocide. And stupid gay Americans like Obama, since he advocates gay marriage. No wait, Obama opposes gay marriage. Whatever about gay marriage. American gays should make opposition to our worldwide murder by muslims a higher priority.

Comment by thuja — June 5, 2009 @ 4:39 pm - June 5, 2009

27. Personally, I was never hot for Obama to begin with either. I was hot for McCain. I really wanted to vote for McCain, then McCain did two very crazy things. He picked Palin without even bothering to vet her and it never dawned on him that at 80 years old people would wonder if Palin could lead the country or not (cost him a lot of votes), and if that wasn’t bad enough, he stood up for Barac Obama when a woman dared to rehash the same anti-Barac propaganda that had come straight out of the McCain campaigning efforts. It made McCain look like a senile old man.

Comment by galefan2004 — June 5, 2009 @ 4:41 pm - June 5, 2009

28. #25 – “As far as the anti-gay hate in Iran, I’m not an Iranian, so I’m not about to tell them how to live their lives or make their laws. It sucks what they are doing, but its not my right to tell them to stop it.”

So in other words, your silence is your approval for them to keep doing it. Gotcha.

And hypocritically enough, you probably would condemn your fellow Americans for not recognizing your “marriage” when they espouse the same sentiments that you do.

Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 5, 2009 @ 5:55 pm - June 5, 2009

29. #27 – “Personally, I was never hot for Obama to begin with either.”

Could have fooled me.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 5, 2009 @ 5:56 pm - June 5, 2009

30. Obambi in his Cairo speech made this statement:

“Given our interdependence, any world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will inevitably fail.”

I can only assume that this doublespeak is nothing less than a handy escape hatch for Obambi. Sanctions, restrictions, tariffs, threats and war are all clearly examples one nation elevating its interests over the interests of another nation.

If Obambi believes this tommyrot, then why did he make the speech? This is such cowardly psychobabble that there is no room for him to address how gays, women and other religions are treated in Muslim countries.

Comment by heliotrope — June 5, 2009 @ 6:25 pm - June 5, 2009

31. Obambi scampers to Germany and says:

Buchenwald teaches us that we must be ever-vigilant about the spread of evil in our own time, that we must reject the false comfort that others’ suffering is not our problem, and commit ourselves to resisting those who would subjugate others to serve their own interests.

Oh. Does that supercede this?:

Comment by heliotrope — June 5, 2009 @ 6:51 pm - June 5, 2009

32. helitrope,

IT’s only void for capitalism, freedom, democracy. You know, those evil Western values.

Comment by The_Livewire — June 5, 2009 @ 8:21 pm - June 5, 2009

33. Dick Chenney not getting praise for his stance couldn’t possibly have anything to do with him supporting an anti-gay marriage amendment about 4-5 years ago could it?

Actually he didn’t, but why let reality get in the way? Speaking of reality:

We always have been and always will be because we are asked to do so. Can you imagine the tyranny that would exist in the world if we took your selfish position?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 6, 2009 @ 4:45 am - June 6, 2009

34. This website was blocked at 10:30AM PST when I tried to look at it. I am glad that this issue of Gays and Islam is being addressed. All Muslims are required to go to Mecca if possible and this is in Saudi Arabia where the death penalty is in effect for gays right now as you are reading this. Maybe the King there will change this.

Comment by martin — June 6, 2009 @ 1:42 pm - June 6, 2009

35. Dick Chenney not getting praise for his stance couldn’t possibly have anything to do with him supporting an anti-gay marriage amendment about 4-5 years ago could it? Just asking!

galefan, it looks like you don’t know what your talking about. Cheney notably did NOT support those amendments.

To the list of Gay Left qualities including “ignorant”, we must add “self-hating”.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 7, 2009 @ 10:45 am - June 7, 2009

36. [...] reported that, in his celebrated address to the Muslim world last week in Cairo, President Obama ignored the plight of gays living under Islam.  Speculating that no national gay organizations would take the Democratic President to task for [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Gay Groups Silent as Obama Ignores Plight of Gays Under Islam — June 9, 2009 @ 4:10 am - June 9, 2009

37. [...] issue with critiques that Bruce and I leveled against President Obama for his silence on the plight of gays living under Islam in [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » GayPatriot Critic Defends W’s Advocacy for Gays in Islamic Lands — June 10, 2009 @ 6:30 pm - June 10, 2009

38. GAYS PATRIOTICOS DE ESPAÑA

JUVENTUD GAY NACIONAL!

STOP ISLAM IN EUROPE!!

Comment by juventud gay nacional — September 1, 2009 @ 6:02 am - September 1, 2009

39. Thanks for the post,
    I too am pissed about this and DADT and DOMA. But Gays (like me) will continue to vote for Democrats. All and all it’s the Democrats that will continue, with pushing, to fight for us. I agree that we need to build a bridge with the right and meet in the middle. But we don’t stop moving even if it slows the construction of that bridge. I just read an article about a Republican rep running in NY, she is Pro marriage equality. THAT’S GREAT, I wish I lived in her district; she would have been the first Republican I voted for.

Things will get better, but for now this 34 year old guy will continue to vote for President Obama and the Democrats.

Side note, I read an article or blog a while ago, around prop 8 time by I think one of you. For the most part it was about gays not knowing what it meant to be married. If it was not from this site, I’m sorry I brought it up.
    I took offence to that statement; I have had 3 relationships in my life, the shortest lasting 6 years. I know very well what love is and what commitment is. I’m a one man type of guy and want Very much to get married. I’m not sure if it was from this site, I’m thinking not as you both seem to back marriage. I don’t mean to come off as a jerk.
    Thanks Again for the post
    George

Comment by George M — September 4, 2009 @ 4:55 pm - September 4, 2009

40. [...] champion our interests. While our fellows suffer under the tyranny of Islamofascism, he refuses to address that suffering in his celebrate speech to the Muslim world. Nor did his mention oppression of gays in his Wednesday speech to the United Nations. I guess it [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » In UN Speech, Netanyahu Condemns Iran for Subjugation of Gays — September 25, 2009 @ 1:28 am - September 25, 2009