Those Who Favor Obama’s Auto Plan Should Buy GM Cars

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 4:00 am - June 11, 2009.
Filed under: Big Government Follies,Obama Watch

Welcome Instapundit Readers!!

With the unhappy Barney Frank “leaning on GM” to keep a facility open in his district, we can see how decisions at the troubled auto manufacturer will be subject to political pressures at the expense of legitimate busines conerns.  Would a company effectively owned by the government want to antagonize the chairman of a powerful House committee, even if he is a career politician with zero experience in the private sector?

What does this mean-spirited Massachusetts Congressman know about running a business?  He’s spent his professional life trying to regulate them without considering the consequences of his actions.  He has never working in an enterprise which produces things, creates wealth, expands opportunity and fosters innovation.  And yet he has a say in how GM runs its business.

This is what happens when government takes control of private enterprise.  Political considerations replace economic ones.

Those who want to give people like Barney a say in the running of General Motors (and Chrysler for that matter), that is those who favor Obama’s Auto Plan, can show that they really believe this is the right way to manufacture automobiles by putting their money where their mouths are.  When it comes time for them to buy a new car, they should buy a GM (or Chrysler) model.  Heck, why wait?  Show your confidence in this plan by buying one now.

But, something tells me that Obama’s actions notwitstanding, his strongest supporters will be driving BMWs, Audis, Lexises (Lexi?) and Saabs, at least those who live in my neck of the woods.  In these parts, it does seem that a great number of those makes continue to sport Obama stickers on their bumpers.

UPDATE:  Moe Lane contends I’m not taking this “nearly far enough“:

We’ve already established that this administration considers falling in with its policy positions to be ‘patriotic‘: and clearly, supporting the GM/Chrysler takeover is falling in with its policy positions.  Considering that – as usual – the Political Class is wildly divergent from mainstream America when it comes to this issue, it is clearly their patriotic duty to make certain that the GM/Chysler bailout succeeds.  That means selling that hybrid made by a foreign auto company and buying an American car*.  And since it’s a crisis, well, they need to do that right now.  Everything else has to be, so this should be, too.

1. Nobody running GM nowadays has any idea on how to run an auto manufacturer. Chairman Obama’s never had a productive job and has no experience running anything. The 25 clowns he put in charge of the auto industry don’t know anything about building cars. Neither Mullaly or Whitacre know anything about cars.

Why should lack of knowledge mean anything? Liberals reward for trying, not for success. Just look at all the failures they’ve foisted on the American public.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — June 11, 2009 @ 5:04 am - June 11, 2009

2. Actually, Saabs are a GM brand.
    And it may well die. No one has offered to buy it as far as I know, and the Swedish Gov’t has refused to bail it out (Egad, the socialists are to the right of our fools!). It could go up in smoke.

Comment by JP — June 11, 2009 @ 5:33 am - June 11, 2009

3. American cars: Democrats build ‘em, Republicans drive ‘em.

Comment by Ignatius — June 11, 2009 @ 8:05 am - June 11, 2009

4. In my town, the GM and Chrysler dealerships have big name Japanese and German lines as well. They will tread cautiously with the new GM and Chrysler brands as they ramp up their German and Japanese outlets.

Our local Ford dealer had Jeep taken away from them. I expect Chrysler/Jeep to find most of the dealers to be very wary of taking on the brand. Maybe they can force it onto the Dodge/Chrylser dealer, but I bet he is paying much more attention to his Honda, Subaru and Mercedes lines. When you are the “shaft-ee” you are less likely to lined up to get shafted again.

I expect the GM and Chrysler customers to take a hard look at Ford. Our Pontiac/Buick/Cadillac dealer sells Lincoln/Mercury and Nissan out of the same store. I will be interested to see how many of his GM customers drift over to Ford. He is one of the largest dealers in town and he finances his own inventory. GM and the Obamanauts will have precious little leverage with him.

Can you imagine trying to get financing for opening a GM or Chrysler franchise?

Comment by heliotrope — June 11, 2009 @ 10:01 am - June 11, 2009

5. Now that the all the Republican-backing Chrysler/Dodge dealers have literally been disenfranchised, next the ObamaMotors dealers ranks will be purged based on ideological-purity and their political “generosity”, not on sound business practices. This is the road not to Socialism…but to National Socialism and Fascism.

First they came for the brokers, but I wasn’t a broker.
    Then they came for the banks, but I wasn’t in finance.
    Next was AIG, but I was too shell-shocked to complain.
    Then GM and Chrysler were given to the UAW, but I drive foreign anyway.
    Now it’s to be Nationalized (rationed) health care, and I’m too sick and in-hock now to resist….

. …..Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer has a familiar ring these days.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — June 11, 2009 @ 12:14 pm - June 11, 2009

6. Damn Rhino is that right on the money.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — June 11, 2009 @ 12:54 pm - June 11, 2009

7. Two words: Government Motors.

I’ll bet someone a latte that within a year, Obama will tell us that it is “unpatriotic” to compete against them or to buy any other product, no matter how shoddy GM’s product is.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 11, 2009 @ 2:15 pm - June 11, 2009

8. There will be a lot of gay guys in Houston trading in their Mazda 6′s, Beemer’s and Mercedes…..I hope that Obama sticker peels off easily so they can put it on the new GM they will be buying!

I MEAN THEY DO SUPPORT OBAMA AFTER ALL

Comment by JebnTex — June 11, 2009 @ 4:17 pm - June 11, 2009

9. #8 – Except yours truly, Jeb. Never have supported The Snob, and never will.

And yes, I hope he fails too.

But my Mazda 6 is almost paid for, so I won’t be selling it just yet. ;-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — June 11, 2009 @ 5:42 pm - June 11, 2009

10. Heliotrope asks: “Can you imagine trying to get financing for opening a GM or Chrysler franchise?”

Yes, easily, because Obama owns the banks. What I can’t imagine is getting financing for a Toyota or Honda dealership.

Comment by KenB — June 11, 2009 @ 7:07 pm - June 11, 2009

11. [...] Glenn Reynolds) GayPatriot has the right idea here: Those who want to give people like Barney a say in the running of General Motors (and Chrysler for [...]

Pingback by Moe Lane » Show your loyalty. Sell your Prius. — June 11, 2009 @ 7:12 pm - June 11, 2009

12. But, something tells me that Obama’s actions notwitstanding, his strongest supporters will be driving BMWs, Audis, Lexises (Lexi?) and Saabs, at least those who live in my neck of the woods.

There is tons of for real marketing data to this affect what has been around forever. Barack Obama is a dirty socialist and I knew that but he’s also turning out to be a surprisingly and viciously stupid dirty socialist. Mr. Soros should give him a little latitude to where he doesn’t look so damn stupid I think.

Comment by happyfeet — June 11, 2009 @ 7:17 pm - June 11, 2009

13. Can you imagine trying to get financing for opening a GM or Chrysler franchise?”

I bet Obama’s friends get lots of financing to open franchises.

It’s the Chicago/Alinsky Way!

(As soon as you get elected, start working to move as much money as possible from the other side to your supporters. Hence, Porkulus. Right away, start using your power to affect basic election and voting issues. Hence, Barrack’s new Acorn Census Bureau. Immediately, commit as much of the future as possible, in order to leave only your desired outcomes. Hence, single-payer hospice . . . . er . . . health care.

I was afraid of this guy pre-election. Turns out, though, that he’s way better at being what he is then I expected – he’s screwed us completely in his first 150 days. Unless Porkulus is revoked and the Census watched, he’s pretty much nailed The Machine for fifty years or more.)

Comment by bobby b — June 11, 2009 @ 7:29 pm - June 11, 2009

14. I am a little surprised to fing it’s only been 4 months since the election. So many of the President’s actions seem to be foolish at first. I only hope I’m wrong. Living in Michigan, It seems as though he’s only prolonged the death process of the Gm/Chrysler.I think the immediate problems he will be having is secondary to the poi prices. This is ,in effect a tax on an already slowing economy.

Comment by corwin — June 11, 2009 @ 9:25 pm - June 11, 2009

15. GREAT website, GP. Glenn is hooking me up and I am definitely impressed.

Re this post: I unnerstand, I unnerstand…but that 2010 Camaro is one of the truly hottest cars I’ve ever seen in my life. The debate amongst all my car buds is whether or not the people on the production line are super-motivated to put out a terrific product, or if they’re just mailing it in ’cause the gubment will meet their needs for life. I’m holding off on buying until I hear first and second hand comments about the quality of the car.

I think BO’s first five months in office have been a complete disaster…but I still support American workers — AS LONG AS THE PRODUCT MEETS OR EXCEEDS MY EXPECTATIONS.

Again, great site…keep on rockin’ in the free world…

Z

Comment by Zregime — June 11, 2009 @ 10:05 pm - June 11, 2009

16. Lots of rich Obamanites in my neck of the woods… Priuses and luxury foreign cars are the lion’s share of the cars round here.

Comment by SoCalRobert — June 11, 2009 @ 10:28 pm - June 11, 2009

17. Consider the possibility that the government’s plan is driven by hate of an enterprise “too big to fail.” Let Washington run Detroit for two years and GM won’t be “too big to fail.” The only question then will be whether they will release GM to sink quietly out of sight or force them to fill racetrack infields and the parking lots of closed Krogers with Prius knockoffs with exploding batteries.

Comment by wagnert in atlanta — June 11, 2009 @ 10:29 pm - June 11, 2009

18. I was thinking about this very thing at work today! Only in a slightly different context. I would propose that everyone willing to sign on to whatever Healthcare Reform legislation comes out of the White House and Congress should first agree to terminate their current health insurance on the day this legislation is passed. Furthermore, it should be required in this bill that all of our duly elected representatives should be the first to enroll.

If it is truly time to reform healthcare by devising a single payer system then those who voted for it should be bound by their vote to participate. Shouldn’t we expect from those we elected to put their money and health where there mouth is. This is personal for me and a lot of others. It should also be personal for our representatives!

But for now, I will drive a Ford!

Comment by GoCon — June 11, 2009 @ 10:32 pm - June 11, 2009

19. Well, SoCalRobert (and others in similar circumstances), how about a little guerrilla campaign of bumper stickers to accompany those Obama stickers if they’re not attached to a GM or Chrysler (or Ford since the Dems support “buy American”, don’t they?) product. Something suggesting a lack of patriotic duty?

Comment by Stephen — June 11, 2009 @ 10:49 pm - June 11, 2009

20. The Dems and leftists should have always been buying GM, Chrysler and Ford products if they ever for a minute believed what they say or at least understood what they say.

The Big Three have been laboring since FDR under the New Deal model of relations between government, labor and management. That model is what’s slowly killed them, and it’s why their competitors like Toyota, free from these chains, has been more nimble and more able to consistently field a more quality product.

Ironically however, the leftists and Democrats have never understood this. They’ve always treated the likes of GM et al. with utter contempt ever since “Unsafe at Any Speed” and rather have considered the Big Three as symbolic of Corporate America, a hated foe. Ironically, out in the flyover sticks of the Red States and in the red counties of the blue states is where you’ve always found your Ford, Chevy and Dodge country.

It’s certainly never been Manhattan or Berkeley, or even, ironically, Ann Arbor!

As for myself, I’m a rock-ribbed conservative who has never bought anything other than a Chevy or a Ford in order to support my fellow American worker. There are many like me. I don’t know one single leftist who is like this (and I know many being in a blue, blue state these days). Nor do I know many leftists who drive American cars.

I can’t imagine they’ll start now. At least not in numbers that will correct for the defection of the likes as me. I will never, at any point in time, buy either a new or a used General Motors or Chrysler product ever again. I’m a Ford man now, hoping that Ford can survive the horrendous onslaught they face.

Comment by Cowboy — June 11, 2009 @ 11:18 pm - June 11, 2009

21. it’s Suburus and Honda Elements here in Austin. And Volvos. Lots and lots of Volvos.

Comment by peter jackson — June 12, 2009 @ 12:13 am - June 12, 2009

22. Like I said in February….we need bumper stickers. :)

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — June 12, 2009 @ 12:38 am - June 12, 2009

23. Don’t bother buying a Ford. If the UAW can bankrupt Ford, they’ll get it too, and they know it.

Expect anything from a lack of care to out and out sabotage everywhere at FoMoCo.

Meanwhile, the Govt is going to use our money to drive all non-UAW competition back offshore.

Comment by hanzie — June 12, 2009 @ 6:14 am - June 12, 2009

24. North Dallas Thirty: Oh,yeah. Those are perfect.

Comment by Stephen — June 12, 2009 @ 10:22 am - June 12, 2009

25. SAAB is 100% owned by General (Government) Motors. Probably most of the people buying them don’t know this. Ever since the General took a majority interest in SAAB in 1995 the quality, and quirkiness, of SAABs has been declining.

The pre-1995 SAABs ran the gamut of quirky Swedish engineering. 3 cylinder engines, 5 cylinder engines, the SAAB Sonnet … what’s not to like. Then the General took over and abandoned individuality for corporatism. Now SAABs are high-end European import wannabes.

Comment by An Average American — June 12, 2009 @ 7:51 pm - June 12, 2009