Joe Solmonese: Hypocrite of the Week

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 12:06 pm - June 26, 2009.
Filed under: Gay Media,Gay Politics,Hypocrite Rights Campaign

A few weeks ago, the folks at GayWired asked me to write their “Hypocrite of the Week” column every other week. Eager to find a wider audience for my words, I readily agreed. Now, either because I was looking to find the most hypocritical individual of this particular week or because this was just a good week for hypocrisy, the more I thought about this, the larger became the pool of potential hypocrites.

Governor Sanford certainly ranked high. As did a number of media figures. In the end I settled on Joe Solmonese, President of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), largely because, well, all my other choices seemed to be getting their due in the media. Rather than join the media bandwagon in focusing on the hypocrisy of those individuals, I figured I’d help shine the light on someone who largely escaped media scrutiny, yet whose hypocrisy largely goes unnoticed in the gay world.

Anyway, my piece is up and I encourage you to read the whole thing.  It’s certain to excite some controversy.  As I expect this to be the first of many columns, I welcome your suggestions for future hypocrites of the week.

1. For some reason the article isn’t available online, not your fault, problem over at gaywired.
    Good luck with the column, I hope this is successful for you.

Comment by Leah — June 26, 2009 @ 12:47 pm - June 26, 2009

2. The earlier link works for me, here it is:

GPW: No offense, but for your own success as a writer, you gotta do a better job proofreading your stuff, especially when it’s for other publications. The article has several awkward little lapses in grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 26, 2009 @ 1:19 pm - June 26, 2009

3. ILC, I e-mailed them some changes earlier this morning, don’t know if they made it in. If you could e-mail me the errors you caught, I can check them against the ones to which I alerted them.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — June 26, 2009 @ 5:30 pm - June 26, 2009

4. [...] Joe Solmonese: Hypocrite of the Week [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Integrity of Gay Left Bloggers Who Criticize Obama — June 26, 2009 @ 7:08 pm - June 26, 2009

5. “For all too long, Solmonese has gotten away with putting loyalty to the Democratic Party and his left-wing allies ahead of honest advocacy for the gay community. Noting his obsession with abortion, I wondered “why the leader of gay organization would be so interested in a problem created by heterosexuals not considering the consequences of their sexual activities.“

I would suggest that the blanket term “heterosexual” is inaccurate. Most of these illegitimate children come from bisexuals engaging in heterosexual behaviors. I’d be happy to name the skanks and skankettes who can’t keep their legs closed or even continually ignore the rules of Catholic Roulette.

Comment by RJLigier — June 26, 2009 @ 7:47 pm - June 26, 2009

6. **snorts**

Joe is the Hypocrite of the Century.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — June 27, 2009 @ 11:10 am - June 27, 2009

7. If this article was about Solmonese’s hypocrisy, then why in the early part of the article did you go out of your way to absolve Sanford? puh-lease. Sanford’s political career (like many conservatives) used his views of morals as one of its cornerstones. Contrary to your statement, his public image and his core political platform are very much intertwined with each other. People like him, Ensign, Craig rightly need to be brought to task for their behavior.

Did you happen to read Solmonese’s letter to the President with regard to the DOJ brief? It pretty much hits the nail right on the head of the issue and I don’t see him cow-towing to Democrats anywhere in it.

Comment by Kevin — June 29, 2009 @ 12:59 am - June 29, 2009

8. Kevin, I did read the letter. Indeed, referenced that reading in my article. Did you read my piece? I didn’t absolve Sanford. Just because I said he was less of a hypocrite than Solmonese doesn’t mean I don’t think he is a hypocrite.

And no, Sanford didn’t not use his views of morals as one of his cornerstones. Lefties need say this so this story fits their narrative.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — June 29, 2009 @ 3:14 am - June 29, 2009

9. [...] gay folks who follow gay politics have offered similar opinions of the man I recently dubbed hypocrite of the week, HRC’s Joe [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » A Real (& Lasting) Andrew Sullivan Accomplishment:Making it Easier to Challenge Hegemony of Gay Orthodoxy — July 9, 2009 @ 3:30 pm - July 9, 2009

10. Reminds me a bit of what Christopher Badeaux said about andrew sullivan’s obsession with sarah palin and the provenance of her child.

Rarely in human history has a gay man been that obsessed with a woman’s vagina

Comment by duane — July 14, 2009 @ 1:24 pm - July 14, 2009