Lawyer Investigating Palin donates to Democrats, has ties to Obama campaign

Seems the AP forgot to tell us that Thomas Daniel, the investigator who thinks that outgoing Alaska Governor Sarah Palin may have violated state ethics law in raising money to defend herself against frivolous ethics charges, cut a rather generous check to Democrat Mark Begich’s Senate campaign last fall summer.  According to Open Secrets, he contributed $1,000 to that Democrat, the same amount he gave to John Kerry in 2004.  He gave $1,800 to the DNC (Democratic National Committee) and contributed to various Democratic campaigns, but not a dime to Republicans.

Don’t you think that might have some bearing on his ability to adjudicate an ethics issue involving a prominent Republican?

if the man investigating a Democrat had supported a Republican candidate, I’d bet the AP would let us know that.   Not just that.  The reporter neglected to inform us that Daniel works for Perkins Coie, a firm which served as counsel to Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.  Given that Mr. Obama’s presidential campaign was trying to defeat the ticket on which Mrs. Palin ran last fall, you’d think that maybe Mr. Daniel might want to recuse himself from investigating her.  Or that that AP might report that.  I mean, if his firm had worked for Republicans and he were investigating Democrats, they would certainly make much of it.

And the AP just might let us know that Perkins Coie has a history of helping Democrats in election campaigns.

(H/t Reader Firelight.)

1. [...] isn’t this interesting….and not surprising: Seems the AP forgot to tell us that Thomas Daiel, the investigator who [...]

Pingback by Flopping Aces » Blog Archive » Obvious Conflict Of Interest From Palin Investigator & Accuser — July 22, 2009 @ 5:09 pm - July 22, 2009

2. Geez some of the anti Palin deraingment syndrome is pretty transparent.
    Transparent= clearly able to see through, open, honest.
    Not the Obama definition of “transparent”. hehe

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 22, 2009 @ 5:10 pm - July 22, 2009

3. Wow, look at how Fox News continues to dominate, hammer and pummel the Obama state run news…..

Let freedom ring!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 22, 2009 @ 5:11 pm - July 22, 2009

4. “As a candidate, President Obama vowed that in devising a healthcare bill he would invite in TV cameras — specifically C-SPAN — so that Americans could have a window into negotiations that normally play out behind closed doors.”
    LIAR
    The Obama lies continue. Where are all the leftist liberal Democrat defenders who use to visit our GP blog. Has Obama lost even the most ardent Obamaphiles? “where have all the lefties gone…….”
    The Palin nuisance lawsuits pale in comparison to the fraud in this administration.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 22, 2009 @ 5:42 pm - July 22, 2009

5. It’s Ronnie Earle and Dan Rather all over again. Democrat ethics! there’s an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard one. Democrats are so filthy corrupt that they have even corrupted the ethics oversight process.

Comment by American Elephant — July 22, 2009 @ 8:13 pm - July 22, 2009

6. Watching Obamateleprompters “news conference”….
    40 minutes in he has taken 5, FIVE questions.
    Is it me or do most of the press asking questions look very nervous and unsteady and frankly scared?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 22, 2009 @ 8:42 pm - July 22, 2009

7. Obamas 12 minute answers does accomplish one thing clearly, no one asks a followup question to a question that everyone has forgotten.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 22, 2009 @ 8:46 pm - July 22, 2009

8. Gene, here’s my favorite quote (in response to a reporter stating, “blah, blah, blah,…so, you can’t really blame Republicans”): “First of all…you haven’t really seen me out there blaming Republicans. I’m a bit frustrated by the misinformation out there from the Republicans…”

Unbelievable. It’s just one shameless lie after another. Disgusting.

Comment by Sean A — July 22, 2009 @ 9:09 pm - July 22, 2009

9. [...] GayPatriot » Lawyer Investigating Palin donates to Democrats, has … [...]

Pingback by 7/22-PCW Extreme Political TV: Card for PCW Night of Champions Decided « Political Championship Wrestling — July 22, 2009 @ 10:05 pm - July 22, 2009

10. Best quote so far…..” we need to do this for Americans who don’t have the great kind of health care that I have, and the members of Congress have.” Trouble is……Obamacare isn’t going to equal Congressional Care.

So Gene, would you be supportive of a health care reform where all persons get the same health care that Obama and Congress get?

Comment by Pat — July 23, 2009 @ 8:39 am - July 23, 2009

11. Sure Pat. Aenta (who provides the federal employee plans) would love the business. You know, one of those evil insurance companies that the president is always derriding?

Comment by The Livewire — July 23, 2009 @ 9:39 am - July 23, 2009

12. Livewire, I should have been more specific. My question includes having the federal government pay for the benefits of any employee, using an insurance company such as AETNA, just like the federal government pays for the benefits of Obama and members of Congress.

Comment by Pat — July 23, 2009 @ 12:49 pm - July 23, 2009

13. #5 – You took the words out of my mouth. Ronnie Earle was a shamless shyster lawyer who first tried to run Kay Bailey Hutchison out of the Senate, and then set his sights on Tom DeLay and finally got his pound of flesh.

So glad that he’s no longer Travis County DA.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 23, 2009 @ 1:00 pm - July 23, 2009

14. Pat, any new heath ins system if it is going to cover 100% of Americans has to be paid for. How is this going to be paid for. The problem the Democrats have is they want to demonize the “rich” and make them solve all the countries ills. Tell you what, take all the money from the rich, all of it. You’d run the federal government for about 60 days. If the most well off of Americans ever get pissed off enough to leave, then we’re all in the crapper. I for one would like to meet and thank a wealthy American for producing, taking risks and creating JOBS in our country. I’m for a health insurance system that covers all Americans that can be afforded and paid for. Every American should be required to pay something into that system so it will naturally help to control costs. If you have 50% of us who get it FREE, we have no incentive to monitor our use of doctors visits and medication on our own.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 23, 2009 @ 4:51 pm - July 23, 2009

15. [...] blog Gay Patriot cites how the lawyer,Thomas Daniel, directly involved in the consistent Palin investigations not [...]

Pingback by COMMENTARY: Alaska’s Ethics Trolls and The Slime Trail They Leave Behind — July 23, 2009 @ 7:08 pm - July 23, 2009

16. Gene, first of all, let me say that I don’t have any answers here, just questions. I really don’t know what the solution is.

What I see is federal government employees, including all Republicans in government getting an excellent health care package. One that they (and probably most Democrats as well) don’t want the rest of America to have. It may be symbolic, but I wonder if it wouldn’t be such a bad idea if, without a raise in their salary, just have their health benefits cut. I honestly don’t think hardly anyone in Congress gets what’s going on in health care, because they take it for granted.

So right now we have a significant portion of Congress saying, “Gee, having health care being paid for by the federal government is such a bad idea, but I’m not going to do anything about getting rid of my cushy health care package.”

How is this going to be paid for.

Excellent question. Most employers pay a good portion of health benefits. Granted, some small employers can’t afford it, for among many reasons, they have to pay taxes. So why don’t businesses get tax relief equivalent to the amount of the cost for health benefits, deductible only if the employers use it for health benefits? I’m sure there is a reason why this won’t work, that’s why I’m asking questions here.

This is one thing I am sure about. There has to be some fee to use any medical benefit to control costs and abuse.

Comment by Pat — July 24, 2009 @ 8:20 am - July 24, 2009

17. Pat,

My Sarcasm aside, Insurance companies would be more than happy to have large groups of people insured. Large companies spread their costs out among their members, lowering it overall.

How would such an ‘insure everyone’ plan work though? Bidding between companies? Would it be an entire nation on one plan, or would you divide among carriers? Would it allow (for example) one to get a private HMO that would cover expences beyond what the ‘basic plan’ would cover?

How would appeals be handled? For example, we have two levels of internal appeal and then an external review as our default option, though some employers prefer to do their appeals themselves.

would it be an administrative contract plan? (You pay the insurance company to administer benefits, but those benefits come out of your pool) or would it be a fully insured plan (The insurance company pays the costs directly, but you pay a lot more in premiums)? Would the government say “You can’t make more than X profit?” Lots of questions, and this is from a plan that isn’t ‘trust us we’re the government.”

Comment by The Livewire — July 24, 2009 @ 8:21 am - July 24, 2009

18. [...] isn’t this interesting….and not surprising: “Seems the AP forgot to tell us that Thomas Daiel, the investigator [...]

Pingback by Obvious Conflict of Interest From Palin Stalker/Investigator | Politics News — July 25, 2009 @ 1:03 am - July 25, 2009

19. Livewire, excellent questions. I wish I could reply with even half-way decent answers, but I don’t believe I can.

I guess what I’m thinking is if the health plan for the president, Congress, and other federal employees are so good, why not try to emulate it as much as possible for all employers? If such a plan would be too costly, even by providing such benefits to employers in the form of a business tax cut, then frankly, the federal government needs to change their own health care plan. In fact, as voters, we should demand it. In other words, if we are not entitled to the same benefits that the president and Congress get, they shouldn’t get it either.

Comment by Pat — July 25, 2009 @ 8:47 am - July 25, 2009

20. I agree. And the funny thing? They (meaning fed employees) bitch and whine about it not being good enough. I see the same with lots of local government employees.

Working my side of the fence, I can compare plans from different employers of alll types and see how they stack up. Trust me, lots of employers have better plans than the offerings given by the insurance companies to their employers.

The HDHP and HSAs are different for most members to handle because they encourage you to shop around and become educated. Not just the ‘fire and forget’ of the HMOs.

Comment by The_Livewire — July 25, 2009 @ 12:15 pm - July 25, 2009