On Democratic Intimidation of Health Care Critics,
Athena Gets It:
“People are not automatons. They show up only if they care.”

In her column today, Peggy Noonan takes issue with attempts  by the President and his team to denigrate and discredit those who dare to speak out in opposition to Democratic efforts to overhaul our health care system:

All of this is unnecessarily and unhelpfully divisive and provocative. They are mocking and menacing concerned citizens. This only makes a hot situation hotter. Is this what the president wants? It couldn’t be. But then in an odd way he sometimes seems not to have fully absorbed the awesome stature of his office. You really, if you’re president, can’t call an individual American stupid, if for no other reason than that you’re too big. You cannot allow your allies to call people protesting a health-care plan “extremists” and “right wing,” or bought, or Nazi-like, either. They’re citizens. They’re concerned. They deserve respect.

You’d like someone practicing that new kind of politics might show some respect for his ideological adversaries, but, well, that’s not what they’re taught in Chicago where the President and his minions got his political education.

Oh, and, as with anything by this columnist who embodies the qualities of the far-sighted goddess of wisdom and just warfare, just read the whole thing.

1. You forget…this is the Era of Obama and the 1000 year rule of the Democrats./sarc off

They do not want dissent.

Comment by JSF — August 7, 2009 @ 3:56 pm - August 7, 2009

2. All of this is unnecessarily and unhelpfully divisive and provocative. They are mocking and menacing concerned citizens.

and

They’re citizens. They’re concerned. They deserve respect.

No mirrors in your house, Peggy? It’s too bad you didn’t express similar concern in your idiotic columns deriding Sarah Palin.

Is this what the president wants? It couldn’t be.

Unlike Noonan, I didn’t help elect him, so I don’t feel at all responsible for the state we’re in and her denial (“It couldn’t be”) strikes me as just a bit hollow and CYA to be taken seriously.

Vile shrew.

Comment by Ignatius — August 7, 2009 @ 5:58 pm - August 7, 2009

3. I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I’m maybe halfway with Iggy on this one. It’s wonderful that Noonan has deigned to set down her brandy snifter and notice the Obamacrats doing things that are *not fair* – now that Sarah Palin has been safely destroyed, as far as Noonan probably thinks.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 7, 2009 @ 8:18 pm - August 7, 2009

4. #2-3: Right on.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 7, 2009 @ 9:36 pm - August 7, 2009

5. The most UN-presidential president in my lifetime at least.

Comment by American Elephant — August 8, 2009 @ 6:38 am - August 8, 2009

6. How come Peggy Noonan did not notice the mocking and deriding of Hillary Clinton by Obama during the Presidential election race?

Comment by thestraightaussie — August 8, 2009 @ 6:48 am - August 8, 2009

7. I agree with the comments regarding Sarah Palin. I don’t think she’s the voice to lead the Republicans out of the wilderness. But Noonan, Kathleen Parker and other conservative harpies did yeoman’s work on behalf of the Democrats in helping to demonize this competent governor and decent woman. I hope they’re very happy with the Caesar they helped to elect, but the rest of us will have to live with the mistakes he’s making.

Comment by Jackson Laurence — August 8, 2009 @ 7:38 am - August 8, 2009

8. To be honest, I don’t “respect” liberal agitators, so … Umm … I don’t know how to react to her piece.

Comment by DoorHold — August 10, 2009 @ 11:36 am - August 10, 2009

9. #8 – I’m with you, DH. Actually, I don’t respect liberals, period.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 10, 2009 @ 1:13 pm - August 10, 2009

10. [...] added.  Echoes what Athena said.  Seems likes there’s unity among the [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » In Health Care Debate,Spontaneous Enthusiasm on Side of Opponents to President’s Plan — August 11, 2009 @ 4:54 pm - August 11, 2009