Athena Finds Obama “Slippery”

Peggy may not deliver the same kind of acerbic jabs as does the acid-tongued Camille Paglia (the Hecate of punditry or the Medusa?) but, in her own gentle way, she reminds us of the President’s faults.

While she has been less critical of Obama than some on the right would like, she does get the essence of his “slippery” rhetoric:

When Mr. Obama stays above the fray, above the nitty-gritty of specifics, when he confines his comments on health care to broad terms, he more and more seems . . . pretty slippery. In the town hall he seemed aware of this, and he tried to be very specific about the need for this aspect of a plan, and the history behind that proposal. And yet he seemed even more slippery. When he took refuge in the small pieces of his argument, he lost the major threads; when he addressed the major threads, he seemed almost to be conceding that the specifics don’t hold.

The specifics don’t hold.

The president actually helped me stay fit today.  I did a little extra cardio after my workout so I could hear the balance of his town hall.  He told us that we can’t have “something for nothing,” yet with the various proposals all having price tags in the hundreds of bilions of dollars.  A few moments later, he reaffirmed his (long since broken) pledge not to raise taxes on those earning under $250,000 a year.

He’s going to have a hard time covering the program’s cost by only increasing taxes on “the rich.”

1. And where did right-wingers get the crazy idea that Barack Obama favored some kind of review board to deny care to citizens it was not cost-effective to provide health care to? (Death panels)

Seems like this idea came from… Barack Obama:

“The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health care bill out here.
    … I think that there is going to have to be a conversation that is guided by doctors, scientists, ethicists. And then there is going to have to be a very difficult democratic conversation that takes place. …[Y]ou have to have some independent group that can give you guidance. … And that’s part of what I suspect you’ll see emerging out of the various health care conversations that are taking place on the Hill right now.”

Comment by V the K — August 14, 2009 @ 6:17 pm - August 14, 2009

2. Ed Morrissey and Rudy Guiliani have some spot-on comments – RTWT:

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 6:23 pm - August 14, 2009

3. Simply put: Obama is incompetent as a leader.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 6:24 pm - August 14, 2009

4. #3 Yes I agree. He is totally incompetent. He does not know the difference between a coup and the removal of a leader who no longer has the right to be President aka Iran vs Honduras. The Iranian situation was a coup. The basij and military forces of Iran had a role in that situation – that adds up to a coup. The Honduran situation came about because Zelay the Marxist wanted to cement his power in a way that went against their Constitution. Also, the big O’s chummy behaviour towards Chavez and Castro is sickening. It shows that he does not have a clue. His understanding of economics is hopeless, and one could continue with how he has no idea about the Constitution. He was supposed to have taught Constitutional Law and he is touted as being a Constitutional Law but it turns out that he held class on….. Community Organizing…. some knowledge of the Constitution……

Comment by thestraightaussie — August 14, 2009 @ 7:44 pm - August 14, 2009

5. I’ve never understood the Fag Hag, the intense need for a female of a perceived strength, i.e. Camille Paglia, Peggy Noonan, Ayn Rand. Is it identification? Early smothering?

Comment by Ignatius — August 14, 2009 @ 9:32 pm - August 14, 2009

6. I was going to try to respond to that Iggy, but realized I have no real experience with whatever you mean to talk about. None of the figures you mentioned have any attraction for me, as female personalities. (Rand as a writer who defended capitalism, and also the concept of objective reality, but that’s it.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 15, 2009 @ 1:09 am - August 15, 2009

7. Well Ignatius, as a ‘dyke tyke’ (the male equivlenent) I can say for me I’ve always been more comfortable talking to women then men and it’s nice to talk to women who know I’m not flirting with them. Maybe it’s the same for the fag hags?

Comment by The_Livewire — August 15, 2009 @ 9:16 am - August 15, 2009