How to Make the Case for Gay Marriage in Maine

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 2:18 am - August 14, 2009.
Filed under: Gay Marriage

I highly doubt the leaders of Maine Freedom (sic) to Marry will solicit my advice (or that of any other gay conservative for that matter) on how to oppose the “people’s veto” slated for the Pine Tree State’s ballot this fall.  Indeed, just by checking their website, it seems they’ve already subscribed to the various mantras of the gay left, with their slogan, “Protect Maine Equailty.”

It appears they’re about to repeat the mistakes of the “No on 8” campaign here in the Golden State.

Lt me offer my advice (thought I doubt it will be heeded) on how they can veto this people’s veto of legislation passed by the elected legislature and signed by the elected Governor.

Fist, their guiding principle should not be protecting Maine Equality (whatever that means), but making the case for gay marriage–and not demonizing those who oppose it.

Second, unlike the California campaign, they should feature same-sex Maine couples in TV commercials, telling us that they understand the responsibilities of marriage and are ready to make the commitment.*  (Or something similar.)  Perhaps, even include gay couples together with straight married siblings.  Maybe even have their parents present.

In short, they should talk about marriage not as a right, but as an institution, whose traditions they respect (even revere) and whose obligations they are ready to assume.

If they focus on the rights angle, contending a “Yes” vote (to veto legislation recognizing same-sex marriages) means the state would be taking away their rights, they will come across as whiners.  Most people, at least those who take marriage seriously, don’t see marriage as a right.  And if gay activists comes across as whiners, wavering voters may assume all gay people are so petulant and thus not worthy of marriage, hence the idea of featuring confident people in commercials, couples saying they’re “ready” for the responsibilities of marriage.

*Yes, this represents a shift in my position.

1. I would like to let you know that there are a lot of us out there (heterosexual conservative males) that recognize discrimination when we see it… despite what the MSM reports or what right wing blogs report. We support you in your fight and would only ask in return that you stop attacking the church, specifically the Catholic church. I remember when eating meat on Friday would send you straight to hell, when my mother couldn’t recieve communion because she married a divorced man and when women had to wear hats in church. I would ask that you give the church a little time to adjust. Please don’t disrupt their worship and eventually they will come around.

Comment by Dave B — August 14, 2009 @ 6:01 am - August 14, 2009

2. To make sure their message is clear, they need to clearly separate themselves from the sexual-liberation-for-all, Stonewall/Pride gays. That group is not for marriage, no matter what they say. Homosexuals in Maine who want to be included in the tradition of marriage must step away from gays who want to subvert marriage.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 14, 2009 @ 10:10 am - August 14, 2009

3. http://logisticsmonster.com/2009/05/03/the-montana-gun-law-you-will-never-hear-about/

Montana Gun Laws is one of the most viewed post on Logistic Monsters Blog. Maybe that is why Bozeman, Montana is on the town hall meeting junket for the President’s Health Care Insurance Reform Bills?

So why Bozeman, Montana town hall meeting for the President to CAMPAIGN “for which” Health Care Reform Bill? Why Grand Jct. Colorado? They are indicative of what demographic of Americans?

My home state is called an empty state so what is the draw for the Obama administration? Is it because Max Baucus is under pressure?

Montana is an ultra strong 2nd Amendment state they are not keen on Sotomayor for the U.S. Supreme Court. Max Baucus has reasons to be weary. Montana is carry in the open state mostly because of hunting. This Health Care Insurance Reform “Bills” is looking like it could go sideways, and it doesn’t look like the Obama administration can course correct.

Comment by keyboard jockey — August 14, 2009 @ 10:36 am - August 14, 2009

4. Yeah, I hate their recent name change. They now go by “No on 1, Protect Maine Equality”. You really can’t blame them for going for the “equality” word. After all, the name of the larger group is “Equality Maine”. Maine is small enough for us to show gay couples who are neighbors. The part of the newly coined slogan I mostly have qualms with is the “No on 1” part. They did that so we could re-use the signs from past campaigns. Only one problem though. The secretary of state hasn’t assigned the question numbers yet. What if we’re question 2 instead? Oooops.

Comment by Jimbo — August 14, 2009 @ 12:11 pm - August 14, 2009

5. Dan, yes hopefully they will heed your advice.

Regarding keyboard jockey, I’m a Montana resident, and frankly, afraid for this town hall. I hope people do carry their weapons, they have a right to, but something unknown about this equation. 80% of the tickets were distributed in the more liberal (some compare it to Aspen, CO or Jackson Hole, WY) town of Bozeman 10 miles away. While slightly larger and including a college, only 20% of tickets were distributed in Belgrade, the town where it’s actually being held. I would speculate this is because Belgrade also has the distinction of consistently electing the most conservative members of the Montana state legislatures. My prayer is for people to actually challenge the president today, but the distribution of tickets makes me skeptical of this being more than another town hall full of plants and Democratic operatives.

Bozeman/Belgrade has a strong local tea party movement which culminated on July 4th this year. Dems immediately decried tea party protestors as hypocrites for the increased cost of shutting down Main Street, creating a “Gay Loggers for Jesus” group to mock their Christian counterparts. I suspect there should be a good show for the media with anticipation of protestors on both sides. I’ll be tuning in, C-SPAN 2 will be carrying it, and I suspect major outlets since Fox notified me shortly before with a direct link to the streaming video. Salut!

Comment by Tim — August 14, 2009 @ 1:20 pm - August 14, 2009

6. Sorry, to clarify, Bozeman is the larger town with the college.

Yes, if you’re still bitching about having a hard time being a gay conservative in Los Angeles, come be a gay conservative in Montana. 🙂

Comment by Tim — August 14, 2009 @ 1:24 pm - August 14, 2009

7. Having recently relocated to Seattle from Boz Angeles, I can attest that it would be a challenge for a gay conservative . . .

maybe some creative and energizing folk will create a model / template for the nation as a whole.

Comment by rusty — August 14, 2009 @ 3:05 pm - August 14, 2009

8. Ashpenaz, what if they don’t do what they “must” and get equality? Let the churche-folk kill us if we enter their buildings unwanted, but don’t label happy loving people wanting to get a permanent bond recognised by their home as a subversion. GPW, i would be PROUD for you to call me “unready”, since it seems you are the one who puts people into boxes.

Comment by Dermot — August 14, 2009 @ 7:47 pm - August 14, 2009

9. […] How to Make the Case for Gay Marriage in Maine […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Changing my Mindon Including Gay Couples in Commercials on Marriage Initiatives — August 14, 2009 @ 8:48 pm - August 14, 2009