Where Have All the Obama Stickers Gone?

Up until today, it seemed that whenever I walked, wherever I drove in Los Angeles, I would spot a car (or two or three or four or many, many more) sporting an Obama bumper sticker.  But, yesterday, something strange happened.

I drove for thirty minutes — on  my way to dine with a friend in Calabasas –without seeing a single Obama sticker.  And then I saw one; that would be the only one I saw all evening, even on my drive back, cutting from the 101 freeway across the heart of Hollywood.

Maybe, as people see just how much this Democrat plans on expanding government, they’re having second thoughts.

The times they might be a-changing, even in liberal Los Angeles.

UPDATE: This looks like a good post to share a photo I snapped a few weeks ago on the way to class. I was surprised and amused to see a “NIXON/AGNEW” sticker on a car that didn’t look 30+ years old to me. This really isn’t about anyone’s views on the late Prez and Veep, just that because they served so long ago seeing a bumper sticker for them struck me as being a lil’ unusual this day and age. – John (Average Gay Joe)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

1. I’ve noticed Obama stickers disappearing in my area as well.

But, at the lunch table today, it was still taken without question that government should “pay for everyone’s health care” – with a note of defensiveness; with care taken to put down anyone who might think differently.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 2:39 am - August 14, 2009

2. (P.S. How’d I handle it? In a good humored way, I brought up the guy who compared the medical care of dogs and people in Britain… and found it was better to be a dog.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 2:41 am - August 14, 2009

3. They’ve thinned out here as well, but I suspect a lot went back north for the Summer. Probably more in the touristy areas of Poincianna, Kissimmee and Orlando.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 14, 2009 @ 2:47 am - August 14, 2009

4. starting to be replace by Healthcare 09 stickers in my area.

Comment by matt — August 14, 2009 @ 5:20 am - August 14, 2009

5. I saw brand new Prius on the road a couple of weeks ago. Guess what? They don’t come from the factory with Obama stickers already on them.

Comment by V the K — August 14, 2009 @ 8:25 am - August 14, 2009

6. These days, it seems I’m seeing more Kerry/Edwards stickers than I am Obama/Biden stickers.

Comment by Vic — August 14, 2009 @ 8:39 am - August 14, 2009

7. Sadly, here in bluer than blue Maine, they’ve increased in frequency and I didn’t think that was possible.

Right out my window is the local coffee shop which still proudly displays a (now-dusty) HOPE poster.

Thankfully, I’ve switched to decaf.

Best wishes,
    -MFS

Comment by MFS — August 14, 2009 @ 9:16 am - August 14, 2009

8. Probably the only benefit from Cash for Clunkers.

Comment by Ignatius — August 14, 2009 @ 10:35 am - August 14, 2009

9. I still see a few now and then here in Houston. Turns out they are on cars driven by people with (a) rainbow stickers (b) alternative rock group stickers (c) Gaia stickers and all the drivers are under 40.

Go figure.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 14, 2009 @ 11:25 am - August 14, 2009

10. They’re still going strong here in Phoenix (and mostly on large SUVs), but the other day I did see a sticker in the Obama style that read “0ops”. I also saw a McCain/Palin sticker on a Prius, and almost went off the road in disbelief.

Comment by Hunter — August 14, 2009 @ 11:33 am - August 14, 2009

11. Gosh, you’d almost think think the 2008 Presidential election was over or something. Nah, too logical.

Comment by torrentprime — August 14, 2009 @ 12:42 pm - August 14, 2009

12. #9 – I’m also in Houston, and I agree with your statement.

Comment by Vic — August 14, 2009 @ 1:22 pm - August 14, 2009

13. torrent:

You’re point (#11) is very well taken, but better directed at the fringe still tootling around with “Kerry/Edwards” stickers.

I don’t know of any right-thinking folks who would similarly keep a “Dole/Kemp” sticker on their cars. (Why advertise your association with losers?) But, this difference might say something deeper about our american left/right divide.

Best wishes,
    -MFS

Comment by MFS — August 14, 2009 @ 1:35 pm - August 14, 2009

14. I’ve found the same thing here in south Florida, Obama counrty for sure.
    You hardly see any Obamateleprompter stickers any more. When I do see one, I pass the vehicle and point and laugh, mouthing the words, OBAMA YES WE CAN and laughing hysterically. They seem humiliated.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — August 14, 2009 @ 5:14 pm - August 14, 2009

15. #11 – Remind me again how you acted after 2000 and 2004?

Checkmate.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 14, 2009 @ 6:15 pm - August 14, 2009

16. From the train in upstate New York, there was one station where people were waiting for friends and relatives at the station and I would have said about 50% or more had Obama stickers. One car had something about being Progressives for Obama and it was driver by a 20 something year old who had come to collect either her friend or sister from the train.

I met quite a few people who did not vote for Obama in the first place. One of them was an Independent voter. Also met a few who seemed to be proud to say “I am a Democrat I voted for Obama”. I guess I would have had more respect for them if they had said, “I am Democrat and Obama stabbed Hillary in the back so I did not vote….”

Comment by thestraightaussie — August 14, 2009 @ 7:35 pm - August 14, 2009

17. Still seeing some Obama stickers north of San Diego – saw one on a Land Rover just yesterday.

#1:ILC: I was attending a city-sponsored volunteer training class on Monday – this session covering terrorism risks in SoCal. They ran a short clip from a documentary that was excepted on Hannity. As soon as Hannity appeared, an older (wealthy and retired) man at my table huffed about Hannity being an idiot. No one else said anything.

I’ve noticed that when someone pops off a comment like this in the company of strangers it’s, more often than not, a liberal bashing a conservative.

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 14, 2009 @ 7:59 pm - August 14, 2009

18. I have to say that I hadn’t thought of it until this post but yes … I would say they are rare(r). But … you can’t find a McCain/Palin sticker either 🙂

But ThatGayConservative I live in Orlando and I don’t see a huge influx 🙂

Comment by Randy — August 14, 2009 @ 8:30 pm - August 14, 2009

19. #11: “Gosh, you’d almost think think the 2008 Presidential election was over or something. Nah, too logical.”

The fatal flaw in that theory, torrentprime, is that it would require us to attribute logic skills to people who were dumb enough to put Obama bumper-stickers on their cars in the first place.

Comment by Sean A — August 15, 2009 @ 2:45 am - August 15, 2009